• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: Other Vertices

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
Well, I wasn't quite sure where to put this, as it can fit in a number of places.

Everyone here knows about "vertex editing," which has recently taken the Brawl hacking community by storm. In case you're like me, and don't really go to the Melee boards (Or hell, anything other than the Brawl hacking board) I found this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247119. I forget how, but one of the links on there led me to find out there is a way to export the vertices of Melee models. It's similar, but not the same, as the brawl instructions, as the Melee ones exported them in .OBJ format. So I asked myself "What would happen if I took the vertices of a Brawl polygon with part of a Melee model?"

This is Melee Mewtwo's head replacing Brawl Lucario's head. Or, at least, it was supposed to be. You can KIND of tell it's Mewtwo, but something went horribly wrong. Anyway, if someone wants to perfect my methods, I'll tell you what I did to get this monstrosity, or, you know, we could all just wait for BrawlBox' implementation of model editing which will come out soon enough. Anyway, the only reason I'm posting this is really for a laugh. A failed hacking attempt.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
this is why we cant do this. the faces are assigned to the vertexes, by the number of the vertex. example, vertex 1, 2, 3 may make a face. mewtwo's neck for all we know could be 1, his eye could be 2, his nose could be 3, causing a distortion. so... its not really possible at the moment, unless you could get the rest of the data in (which would take a lot of format cracking)

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
After reading what revel8n says about Melee's polygon format (from the Melee Archive Viewer topic elsewhere)...

revel8n said:
First part should be interpreted like this:

98 00 7B ; primitive flags, index count

Code:
primitiveFlags & 0xF8
0xB8 // points
0xA8 // lines
0xB0 // line strip
0x90 // triangles
0x98 // triangle strip
0xA0 // triangle fan
0x80 // quads
The index data start with a byte value that determines the primitive type to be rendered, then a 2-byte value that determines the number of index groups that follow. Unfortunately this is where things can get trick, because not all models will have normals, and untextured models may not have uvs, or if a model ever has multiple textures there could be multiple uv indices. As such there may not always be an index group size of 3 like is being assumed here (vertex, normal, uv index values per indexed vertex in this case i am assuming from what has been shown). Also for models that have less than 256 values to index, it is not always guaranteed that index values will even be 2 bytes. Just something to be aware of if you see some files that don't seem to match the pattern you are adhering to now.

03 15 03 15 01 A6 ;Vertex 1 (vertex index, normal index, uv index) *assuming i have the order correct

After count number of groups, the sequence may repeat with another primitive type byte and 16-bit index count and so on. May help you to look up some info on how the gamecube/wii send data for rendering to the graphics card.

Hope that helps.
That sounds... just like Brawl's polygon format? I'm going to experiment with a few things, using that bit of knowledge.

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
After reading what revel8n says about Melee's polygon format (from the Melee Archive Viewer topic elsewhere)...

That sounds... just like Brawl's polygon format? I'm going to experiment with a few things, using that bit of knowledge.
I'm not sure if you have any Melee models already, but if you don't, would you like Mewtwo's PlMtNr.DAT file, which is his model and normal costume textures? I can PM it, or any Melee character model .DAT, to you if you want. If might help you in your experimentation.

ALSO: N64Billy, I added you. You can add me at Oshtoby@hotmail.com.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if you have any Melee models already, but if you don't, would you like Mewtwo's PlMtNr.DAT file, which is his model and normal costume textures? I can PM it, or any Melee character model .DAT, to you if you want. If might help you in your experimentation.
I've got it on my computer (and I have a physical copy of the game, too, before anyone asks), so I can get any file I need.

Anyway, I'm going to try it out with a trophy model of some sort. And I think I have just the right idea of which one I'm gonna try.

ds22

Smash Lord
(Before flaming me for bumping a thread without a reply for over two months ago, please read the following below)
In the light of the new Mewtwo vertex hack and the upcoming BrawlBox model importer, has there been any progress of getting the .obj file from Mewtwo's .dat file and if so, what was the result of it?

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
(Before flaming me for bumping a thread without a reply for over two months ago, please read the following below)
In the light of the new Mewtwo vertex hack and the upcoming BrawlBox model importer, has there been any progress of getting the .obj file from Mewtwo's .dat file and if so, what was the result of it?
I would also like to know if there was any progress on this i also did not know that brawlbox is going to have a model importer :D

Top Bottom