• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MtF - The Transition Story (Part 3: Relationsships and revelations) *LONG YET AGAIN*

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Link to original post: [drupal=3072]MtF - The Transition Story (Part 3: Relationsships and revelations) *LONG YET AGAIN*[/drupal]

I actually had to psyche myself up a bit before I began writing this specific blog entry. It's especially hard for me to get my mind in the game on this specific topic, because there's still a lot of hurt feelings and possibly a little bitterness, as well. For me, possibly, and definitely for others like me. As such, it's very challenging to get myself out of an emo mindset and able to talk about the issue more objectively.

As I talked about in the previous part of this story, transsexuals do have a lot of challenges to overcome in their transition. They chemically alter their bodies, have individual hairs electrocuted, burned, and plucked, and of course, they have to go under the knife, which is always a potential hazard.

However, I would have to say that without a doubt, the most difficult thing a trans person needs to go through is telling their friends, family, and coworkers about who they are and what they're doing.

As I mentioned in the previous part to this story, the only thing predictable about these revelations is their unpredictability. There really is simply no telling how each individual person will react. And this makes a lot of sense, really.

I think one idea that trans people need to get used to right away is the fact that, although they likely knew about themselves for most of their lives, these revelations are the first true knowledge other people are going to have about their situation. Brand new information. This can't be taken lightly, because it can be too much of a shock to take all of the pertinent information all at once for some people (especially loved ones), and it could lead to misunderstandings and hurt feelings on both sides.

The interesting thing I've noticed about revelations is that often the less a person knows you as a person, the easier it is for them to accept. This might seem pretty obvious looking at it dead-on like this, but it's very much worth mentioning. The reason I bring this up is because often you can't count on the deep-seated roots of a relationship holding things together when the news is finally learned. From the trans' perspective, they sort of think and hope that their bonds are just too strong to be so easily removed. But if this sort of thing isn't handled carefully, someone could very well get the impression that everything about their past was a total lie. This is ESPECIALLY true of people with whom the person is romantically involved.

However, even this isn't a hard-and-fast rule. And in the end, it will ALWAYS come down to each individual case.

For me, my close friends were, in general, the easiest people for me to talk to about this. All of them were really understanding and supportive.

I didn't really have any romantic entanglements, so that was "good" news.

My family members took the information badly, for the most part. When I told them of my decision, it was back during my stay in Virginia in the early part of 2009. I told them via email, because in my family, it's the only way you can express a complete series of thoughts without interruption and be heard.

One interesting thing about my family's reaction is that - likely since I'm the youngest of my parents' three children - each individual member had their own bizarre theory about why I'm the way I am. My dad thought it was because he used to be gay before he met my mom, my sister thought it was because she dressed me in makeup when I was a baby, and my brother thinks it was because he was never around to hang out with me. My mom thought maybe it was a prenatal thing. I think that hardest thing for me right now... something I'm STILL working on, in fact, is trying to explain to them that this was nobody's fault. Even if in some extremely subtle, Freudian way they managed some effect on me, it couldn't possibly be quantified, predicted, or examined now.

My older brother has been the most understanding of my situation. He's an "out" homosexual, and has been since his mid-teens or so. That, combined with his feelings that he abandoned me when I was a little kid made him feel as though he needs to stick up for me now. I do think he still has these ideas that I'm just a gay person as well, but addressing that particular part isn't a high priority for me. The point is that he has stood by my right to make this decision.

My dad had a very simple rule for me: "Not in this house." He has been pretty much willing to ignore what I'm doing, just so long as I never make any reference to it when I'm under his roof. As of this point, I have obeyed this command. Since I don't live with them and rarely see them anymore, it's fairly easy. I think that under his extreme conservatism, it seems like he's starting to begin to become less harsh on the subject, however, so I might end up talking to him about it again.

My sister... well, I already went over that part. No need to reopen that particular can of worms.

My mother... it's been hard for her, I think. She's an older woman from the cornfields of Nebraska, very much from the time where LGBT was NOT a subject for open conversation or practice. She once told me a story from one of the first jobs she'd ever worked, where one of her coworkers made the announcement to everyone that he was gay. My mom wondered out loud, "Why is he making it such a big deal to tell people he's happy?" It... had to be explained to her.

With my mom, it feels like I'm always taking two steps forward, then two steps back. We would go through a period where we would sporadically discuss the matter. She has expressed interest in attending groups for parents of gay children (this is more of a general group, as there's not one specifically for parents of ******** here). She's even read a book (or SAID she's read it) that my therapist recommended to her called "True Selves," which is a very concise written work on transgenderism.

Then she would just as quickly say she could never possibly accept me as female, and that she thought my therapist was "putting ideas into my head," and even went as far as to call me a freak at one point. With her, and my dad, I've reached a shaky, and certainly temporary truce, where I simply don't talk about it when I'm near them, and I dress in guy drag, as well. They, in turn... well... they make no concessions. They still make it a point to call me "son" and address me with male pronouns, and they essentially act like nothing I've told them had ever taken place. I don't know what will change all of this, nor do I know if the change will be for the better or the worse, but I know this can't possibly last forever.

I only have a few really close friends. Out of all of them, my closest friend was one of the last people I told.

You remember how I said that in most cases, the longer you've known a person, the harder the revelation is to accept for them? My friend (I'll give him the pseudonym "Ned" for the purposes of this blog) was the biggest exception in my case. I have known Ned for literally all my life. Our parents had been friends before our moms were pregnant with us, and he was born 6 months before I was. It's not a stretch that I consider him to this day to be an adopted brother.

But unlike my biological family, Ned was very understanding and sympathetic of what I've been going through. He has never once acted ashamed or uncomfortable to be around me, even when I was first starting out.

Even better, Ned has a wife and three kids; all of which have also been very supportive of my decision. If anything, my revelation and subsequent visits have actually made me and Ariel (pseudonym for his wife) really good friends. The kids (3, 8, and 10, if I'm not mistaken), all pretty much get the picture, too. The 3-year-old calls me both Kat and Adam on occasion, which is only to be expected, hehe.

I think it might have been a bit strange for the older kids at first, but before long... actually, in the same visit, they were chatting it up with me, the same as always; and acting as rambunctious as usual. Kids are... well... adaptable that way.

So, those are pretty much my personal experiences with the matter. From those experiences, here are some of the things I know about the actual moment of revelation.

First, I think the best approach is to just spill it. Don't hem and haw, or look for the exact right words, because first, it will make them more anxious of the news before you get to it, and second, it will be taken as a sign that you're still unsure of your decision. Which you could very well be, but that knowledge won't be helpful to them in any way. Just get to the point, simply and plainly. If they understand it, they understand it, and if not, they won't.

Of equal importance, I would say that it's important not to make a big deal about the subject. This might sound odd coming from someone that's writing these massive texts on the subject, but the point is... don't go acting like you deserve any special attention just because you're a trans. You make your point, you tell them, you move on. Don't dwell on it any longer than the people listening are willing to. Yes, this is your chance to show yourself to be a unique snowflake, blah, blah, blah... but there's a certain point some people reach when they're just rubbing people's noses in it.

Make it a statement of fact. You are this. It's not a big deal. It might BE a big deal to you, but it's not. You are just you, and you're letting yourself do that, same as any other person.

For romantic relationships... man... I don't think there's any possible way to make it easier. I really don't. Because the worst part about this is that no matter what happens at the point of your revelation, it will automatically become an issue of sexuality. Both for you and the loved one. Because not only are they going to reexamine you as a person and wonder if your love was genuine, but even worse, they'll begin to question themselves. "If I love her, does that mean I love a woman, or a man? She's not going to have the same body parts, and standard conception is right out." It's... not easy.

To get off on a little tangent here (and I mean that in a relative sense, since NONE of my tangents are little), this is one of the reasons I find sexuality to be just a little bit arbitrary. Although you can have certain sexual tastes and desires it seems kind of silly to think "I will NOT be attracted to this half of the population, because I'm straight (or gay)." Maybe I'm missing something here, but consider that there are so many different variations to people even within the same sex, I think it makes a hell of a lot more sense to just take it on an individual basis, and see if you fall in love with a certain person, regardless of perceived sexuality. Okay, enough with that editorial.

I would say even more than immediate family, romantic relationships are definitely the worst possible cases for revelation. And if you're married, that's just another log to throw into the fire. Even WORSE, because of most states' perception on sexuality and gender, even if your relationship with your spouse managed to withstand this revelation, they would require you to divorce them before getting SRS and changing your gender marker.

If there are children in the marriage, there are actually a couple of different schools of thought regarding children. Some people insist that you wait to tell your kids until they get past the ages of 12-16 or even 12-18. This is because there's a fear that this could have an impact on their perceived sexuality and gender for themselves. Personally, I think this stance is pretty idiotic. If we could simply gauge what will influence sexuality or gender identity, we'd have a much easier time with it.

Even more so, I think tell a child young is the BEST thing to do. It's well-documented that childrens' minds are on average a LOT more adaptable and capable to coming to terms with new ideas and perspectives. Making the subject taboo will do nothing but force ignorance on them, which is a TERRIBLE idea. Even worse, if a parent waits four or five years to tell their kid about themselves, what is the child going to think about their relationship, that they were willing to hide this from them for so long. I think children are NEVER given enough credit for what they're capable of knowing or understanding. But as I said, every relationship is different...

...And come to think of it, that "full-circle" remark seems like a good point to end part 3. My back is hurting again, but I got Trine for 5 bucks on Steam, so it's time to see how it runs on my laptop. I look forward to hearing from you all, and I'll catch you guys next time!

Romulox2010

Smash Rookie
All I can say is bravo! There simply isn't a better way to break big news like this to friends and family and this could even apply to all kinds of "breaking news" that need to be said. Great read and I hope that your parents begin to accept you regardless of what decision you make in your life and hopefully your sister would follow suit.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Thank you very much. I do think that one or both of my parents will probably come around at some point in time, but it will take awhile. As for my sister... to be honest, I don't think so. But at this point, it barely matters to me. I knew going in that she's never been especially open-minded, and that things had only gotten worse as time went on. If she comes around, I'll be happy. But I'm not all that concerned about it anymore in her case.

Omis

my friends were skinny
This might be really intrusive but Im still curious, do you find yourself more attractive before or after?

After I started accepting myself as liking men and women, Ive come to a lot better ends with my body and find it a lot more attractive than before.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
This might be really intrusive but Im still curious, do you find yourself more attractive before or after?
I'm very hesitant to call myself especially "attractive," no matter what. That being said, I do like (and care about) how I look a lot more as a girl. But it also means I'm dissatisfied with nuances of my appearance a lot more often. :laugh:

I find it easier to picture myself in this sort of context as female, for sure.

After I started accepting myself as liking men and women, Ive come to a lot better ends with my body and find it a lot more attractive than before.
Understandable. When you're being true to what interests you, it's a lot easier to let yourself seek it out. :)

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Haven't read the previous ones. But that was a good read.
Hope things work out for you, I love that kinda blogs. They always teach me a thing or two.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Link to original post: [drupal=3072]MtF - The Transition Story (Part 3: Relationsships and revelations) *LONG YET AGAIN*[/drupal]

Even more so, I think tell a child young is the BEST thing to do. It's well-documented that childrens' minds are on average a LOT more adaptable and capable to coming to terms with new ideas and perspectives. Making the subject taboo will do nothing but force ignorance on them, which is a TERRIBLE idea. Even worse, if a parent waits four or five years to tell their kid about themselves, what is the child going to think about their relationship, that they were willing to hide this from them for so long. I think children are NEVER given enough credit for what they're capable of knowing or understanding. But as I said, every relationship is different...
I actually think its a terrible idea to tell them young, yes they are adaptable more so as children than they ever will be after words (Thats why kids are so **** good at video games) I think your looking at ignorance as an all around bad thing, when all it means is that you dont know or understand a subject very much if at all. Because their ignorant of it doesn't mean they will think its taboo. But telling them that young can very well influence their life, Its a better idea to let a kid take in all information when their old enough to Rationally make their own decisions, Im talking around 18 or 20. sure a kid can make most of their own decisions in their teenage years but their still maturing and usually just cant think in a fully rational or logical manner. So whatever decision they make for themselves should be at a point where their decision making can really be rational.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
But telling them that young can very well influence their life,
Yeah, but will it influence them in a bad way?

Its a better idea to let a kid take in all information when their old enough to Rationally make their own decisions, Im talking around 18 or 20.
Disclaimer: I know nothing about raising kids.

Even so. That seems like it may backfire on you. It seems like someone would feel more "betrayed" than anything else if you held back something that important from them. 18 or 20 is "adult." It'd be like finding out that your much older "sister" is actually your mother. Or that your father isn't really your father.

I'm not a psychologist either. Just offering my thoughts. I've been reading strange stuff on the Internetz:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/transgender-children

That article has nothing to do with children of transgender parents. Where was I going with this?

Oh yeah. I remember reading other personal accounts where people said that younger children are usually more accepting than teens or adults. I clearly remember a caller on a radio show being distraught because her father was undergoing a transition, and she was in her twenties, if I remember correctly. On the other hand, her much younger sister was not deeply troubled by it.

I think if you wait too long, maybe people form concepts in their heads of what their family members are. Those concepts solidify with time. When you smash it with a hammer years later, they feel like they have to get to know you again, like the old you is dead, and this is a new person, a stranger who for some reason knows them.

Maybe, I'm not sure, but maybe it would help for them to be with the transitioning person throughout the transition, so that there is a gradient of change, a constant timeline and string of memories tying the old person to the new, the same way we can grow up with people and see how they change over time without waking up and finding them as strangers to us one day, decades later.

/rambling

BotW?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I actually think its a terrible idea to tell them young, yes they are adaptable more so as children than they ever will be after words (Thats why kids are so **** good at video games) I think your looking at ignorance as an all around bad thing, when all it means is that you dont know or understand a subject very much if at all. Because their ignorant of it doesn't mean they will think its taboo. But telling them that young can very well influence their life, Its a better idea to let a kid take in all information when their old enough to Rationally make their own decisions, Im talking around 18 or 20. sure a kid can make most of their own decisions in their teenage years but their still maturing and usually just cant think in a fully rational or logical manner. So whatever decision they make for themselves should be at a point where their decision making can really be rational.
First of all, I think El Nino's response is very well said. As for my own response...

To be honest, I think you're not giving children enough credit. I think at a certain point, adults think that they're protecting children when in reality they're just patronizing them and condescending to them. I think a lot of people assume that because children haven't been around as long, that they're stupid, when in actuality most children tend to know a lot more about so-called "dirty" subjects than their elders could possibly guess. Hell, maybe even more than they do themselves.

The way I see it as this: adults don't hide things from children to protect those children. Ignorance doesn't protect people, it HURTS them. Adults hide things from kids because they feel too awkward explaining things.

If you make it a point that kids do NOT learn certain words, or certain ideas, and that those things are evil and wrong, you're only kidding yourself. For a healthy child, it's just going to make them MORE curious about it, not less. You've made a taboo. Something that adults think is wrong, but won't explain why. You're just making the subject that much more intriguing to them.

They're going to learn about drugs, about sex, about profanity, and about all the other bad, icky things in the world eventually. And it's NOT going to wait to happen until they're 18 unless your chain their rear ends to the basement. It's better to be willing to explain the subjects to them yourself so they know that whatever they're curious about can be talked about.

If I tell you that something doesn't exist, that something isn't the case, that something isn't worth considering and you find out that it is, how much will you trust me in the future? More importantly, how willing will you be to learn from me in the future? Even if I had the best of intentions... at the end it's still willfully dishonest. And dishonestly rightfully earns distrust.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
To be honest, I think you're not giving children enough credit. I think at a certain point, adults think that they're protecting children when in reality they're just patronizing them and condescending to them. I think a lot of people assume that because children haven't been around as long, that they're stupid, when in actuality most children tend to know a lot more about so-called "dirty" subjects than their elders could possibly guess. Hell, maybe even more than they do themselves.
This is 100% truth. Children can "grow up" or get their head around anything even at a young age, it's just that society wants to cushion them for whatever reason. As a kid, the only thing I learned about homosexuality was "gay" being an insult, along with words like "***got", and overall it was just juvenile kids who said gays were disgusting etc.

Now if I had someone to tell me all about homosexuality properly at a young age, perhaps I wouldn't have had such an awful time during puberty.

As for just sex itself, I think it's imperative now that parents/guardians discuss it from a young age. You know why? Well let's just say I'd seen more than the average adult at the age of 9, even stuff illegal in most parts of the world, and things which most find downright horrifying. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Well let's just say I'd seen more than the average adult at the age of 9, even stuff illegal in most parts of the world, and things which most find downright horrifying.
I love DeviantArt, too. :bee:

In all seriousness, though. Thanks for your insight on this issue, Teran. I'm grateful for your unique perspective on this issue, for sure. :)

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
This is 100% truth. Children can "grow up" or get their head around anything even at a young age, it's just that society wants to cushion them for whatever reason. As a kid, the only thing I learned about homosexuality was "gay" being an insult, along with words like "***got", and overall it was just juvenile kids who said gays were disgusting etc.

Now if I had someone to tell me all about homosexuality properly at a young age, perhaps I wouldn't have had such an awful time during puberty.
I remember when I thought gay was nothing more than an insult as well. The idea of people of the same sex loving each other didn't enter my mind for quite a while after that...

I still haven't told anyone that I'm gay either. I used to hope that it was just a phase, but it's been like this for a good 2-3 years, so it's most likely past that point now... Being the coward I am I don't know how I'll ever let people know...

As for just sex itself, I think it's imperative now that parents/guardians discuss it from a young age. You know why? Well let's just say I'd seen more than the average adult at the age of 9, even stuff illegal in most parts of the world, and things which most find downright horrifying. The internet is a wonderful thing.
I learnt about sex when I was eight or so (then a year later we were all shown a video about it at school). Well, actually, the book I read didn't make it very clear, so I used to think that with sex the couple simply lay still after penetration... :laugh: And typical eight-year-old thoughts like, 'Ew, that's disgusting' etc. etc.

Top Bottom