• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 28 Matchup Discussion: Zelda

Padô

Smash Lord
This week:

ZELDA

Good discussion.

Do not forget to vote.

OBS: Next week we got Pokemon Trainer and it'll be discussed as a whole. If you guys want to give the numbers to each of the pokemon then I'll take the average from what we've got, if you want to do that on your own, suit yourself.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
zelda is hard for the first 2 minutes until you learn to just not dair into her usmash and fsmash

get close enough so that you can do stuff before her smashes come out and stuff

also don't get caught in the **** (dtilt) SDI away and perfect shield it

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
zelda is hard for the first 2 minutes until you learn to just not dair into her usmash and fsmash

get close enough so that you can do stuff before her smashes come out and stuff

also don't get caught in the **** (dtilt) SDI away and perfect shield it
Unfortunately Zelda's dtilt and dsmash out range and out speed everything Wario has to offer on the ground.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The only thing she has is dtilt and dsmash, though, which isn't much. The worst part is that her best walls have a ton of commitment time to them and not much shield push, so we can easily jump in and shield and then punish her before she can do anything like dtilt and dsmash. She's also incredibly easy to edgeguard.

In tournament I remember 3 stocking DarkMusician. Either a particularly good round for me/bad round for him, but regardless, it's not very hard for a careful Wario (offline).

Padô

Smash Lord
Ok.

I'm extending this discussion for 3 more days because of the lack of discussion lol.

Btw,

Watch out for aerial approaches, if you get read the Zelda will just USmash or UTilt you Dair/other aerial. Remember not to spotdodge too much because her smashes are long lasting and DSmash always catch you there, DTilt is **** too so watch out for it.

Don't worry for GR stuff, her grab has crap range and it is easily punishable, if you get grabbed at 90% and there isn't a platform to save you I feel bad to say you just lost a stock to a sweet spot Fair.

Her projectile won't be a big deal because our airdodge is uber and our fastfall is way too good too.

As said before if you play safely OoS you should rack up a good damage and accomplish to take her out of the stage which but Zelda in a really bad position, we can poke her with fair out of stage, bair, fart, nair and etc and all of them should work on gimping her, if you fair/nair/bair poke out of stage just grab the ledge and it's a stock lead otherwise if she lands ONSTAGE, jump off the ledge and fart/fsmash/grab, all of those options are viable since she's got a big landing lag.

Overall: 60-40 Wario.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I hope it's not 60-40. I get wrecked by Riot (Crazy good Zelda main from NE).

I know it sounds stupid, but don't let yourself get gimped. Downsmash puts you pretty low and you can't just air dodge through neutral B.
Pivot grabbing is tough to deal with. She'll start using side B when you're far and can sometimes make you approach too quickly or a little hastily leading to a pivot grab to grab release.
SDI her GR -> forward/back air downward, I think. There is a big window for SDI frames and if you have enough stage left (she usually uses the left and right most parts of the stage) you might be able to hit the stage and tech.
I don't see it being possible to SDI out of her upsmash. I've tried every direction, I just don't know.

I can't give numers because I lose.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
i dont have too much exp on this matchup , all i have to say is becareful with usmash kause you cant di out of it , and yea try doin sum fair pokes and watchout also for his fsmash

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Ok.

I'm extending this discussion for 3 more days because of the lack of discussion lol.

Btw,

Watch out for aerial approaches, if you get read the Zelda will just USmash or UTilt you Dair/other aerial. Remember not to spotdodge too much because her smashes are long lasting and DSmash always catch you there, DTilt is **** too so watch out for it.

Don't worry for GR stuff, her grab has crap range and it is easily punishable, if you get grabbed at 90% and there isn't a platform to save you I feel bad to say you just lost a stock to a sweet spot Fair.

Her projectile won't be a big deal because our airdodge is uber and our fastfall is way too good too.

As said before if you play safely OoS you should rack up a good damage and accomplish to take her out of the stage which but Zelda in a really bad position, we can poke her with fair out of stage, bair, fart, nair and etc and all of them should work on gimping her, if you fair/nair/bair poke out of stage just grab the ledge and it's a stock lead otherwise if she lands ONSTAGE, jump off the ledge and fart/fsmash/grab, all of those options are viable since she's got a big landing lag.

Overall: 60-40 Wario.
Just to inform you Zelda has one of the longest non tether grabs in the game. It is slow though. Also din's can be problematic especially is you're on the bike.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Zelda make you AIR BREAK MEANING:

up smash
ftilt (tilted up)
up tilt
dair
fair (sweet spot yes)
nair

Dont get grabbed.

Greward

Smash Lord
lol wario shutdowns zelda, she has no ways to approach wario or force him to approach. Just get a hit in and camp, she will be forced to approach and wario will be in the air, and zelda has no options on the air so she would be punished every time he tries to hit you. Her nair is decent, so watch out for it. Kicks as an aerial approach are useless, uair is too slow to hit you and dair is just not viable. just play it careful and it would be like 8-2 wario's advantage lol

dsmash is techable, Fsmash is really easy to DI out and usmash is also DIable but harder or dependant on how it hit you. Dash attack is ok. If you usually get grabbed against zelda... then you shouldn't play wario. din's fire is not a problem for any character, and it obviously is not for wario who has one of the best airdodges in the game xD if she throws a din fire just shad it and punish. Just watch out for nairs, usmash and dsmash, its all she has.

Top Bottom