• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The glide toss follow-ups

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Just making this easier to read than raw frame data with pictures and such. All data will be vs Mario add/deduct percentages based on how heavy the character is in comparison to Mario. I'm using hotgarbages pictures (hope you don't mind!). I'll be talking about the normal turnips. As a bonus I added data on vs shields.

note: on these images, ignore mario, just imaging that the turnip hits the opponent at the same place where the turnip is on the picture.
Advantage vs shield: how many frames your opponant has to play with to punish you (positive advantage) or how many frames you can pressure his shield before he can do anything (negative advantage).
Hit advantage: How many frames you have while he is still in stun and your move has ended (for combos).

With this throw the turnip will hit asap. The turnip will hit on frame 12 and at this range you will be punishing mid-range tilts and such. The down side to the turnip hitting so fast, is that you still have to complete the animation, before you can follow-up. You don't get the best combo advantage, but its a very fast OoS option.

0%
Normal: +2

At 0% only a jab is guarenteed

From 12% a grab is legit, at later percentages you should dash grab.

20%
Normal: +7

From 26% you can (ground float) nair or dash attack. The former generally has better follow-ups.

40%
normal: +10

60%
Normal: +13

!!! At 73% you can buffer a hyphen usmash, at later percentages you may have to run a bit.

80%
Normal: +16

At 86% you can stutter-step fsmash, though be aware a pan will most likely miss.

100%
Normal: +19

Vs shields you will be at a -9 advantage (not character specific). Most characters can shield grab (tethers can't) before you can do anything. Fast upBs can get you too. Vs a shield, a point blank turnip throw is not safe.

With this throw you will most likely be punishing a long ranged tilt (snake, MK) or a short ranged projectile (lucas, DDD). This throw will take 9 frames longer to hit your opponent, but you have 9 frames more to follow-up the turnip. You will be further away from the opponent when the turnip hits which limits the follow-ups.

0%
Normal: +11

At very low percentages the follow-up with the biggest damage output is a dash grab for a chain grab. When out of chaingrab range a ground float nair (with a dash) is a good option. Dash attack and dash grab will always combo from this distance.

!!! At 13% you can start a uair string with a buffered dash and a ground float uair. This only works vs taller characters. See this thread for more details.

20%
Normal: +16

At 20% you can sh dair with a buffered dash. Its not too late to start a uair string vs smaller characters so go for it! If you can't perform the uair string, a dair to utilt will work too. Don't try this at higher percentages; the dair will send you enemy into a tumble (thus making any follow up not guarenteed).

40%
normal: +19

60%
Normal: +22

At 60% a glide toss will start to combo into a fair. I advise you thoguh to only do this at higher percentages for a kill, don't stale your fair! In the meantime dash grab with some pummels will do just fine.

80%
Normal: +25

100%
Normal: +28

Usmash from about 65% (guarenteed kill setup). The reason why it is not around 15%, like the data may suggest, is because you have to buffer a dash, but you have to wait untill you usmash. too soon ans you will get a sourspot, to late and it can be shielded.

A glide toss from this distance is pretty safe on shield (0 frame advantage): you can jab before they can do anything (even a shieldgrab).

A glide toss from this range is generally an appoache. The hitbox will hit on frame 27 making it not fast enough for punishing. It is shieldable on reaction but yields a great shield advantage. Its also has great combo ability, but they will have to be long ranged because you are far away.

0%
Normal: +17

A dair will work from 0% if you are fast enough to buffer a dash and then a dair. You have to DI towards them during the start-up of the dair to make this work.

20%
Normal: +22

From 20% a fair will work, but you are better of saving this option for the kill. Dash attack/grab work untill they are out of range (around 80% i think, will test later!).

40%
normal: +25

60%
Normal: +28

80%
Normal: +31

100%
Normal: +35

At 105% you can foxtrot and then hyphen usmash (foxtrot lasts 21 frames and covers a lot of ground).

Your only option will be a fair, despite the huge frame advantage.

Vs a shield (6 frame advantage): you should dtilt after the throw. You will be outside of their grab range (normal grabs), and the dtilt will come out before tethers can grab you. The dtilt in itself is safe on shield so this is amzing pressure.

Anything further away then this step in unpunishable on shield but will not have any guarenteed follow-ups.

May add some stuff on sh dthrow turnip later.

Start abusing these follow-ups and make Peach top tier.
Thank you for reading/scanning though/whatever.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
this is coo. ima try to use the usmash ones at least. i'm rly iffy about the distances that you're starting the glide toss from though.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
This advantage is for smash glide toss right? General question: Do frame advantages on hit change with normal glide toss?

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
This advantage is for smash glide toss right? General question: Do frame advantages on hit change with normal glide toss?
Not by much, in some situations it will actually help because its easier to chase. The point blank numbers willbe cut considerably though.

this is coo. ima try to use the usmash ones at least. i'm rly iffy about the distances that you're starting the glide toss from though.
Do you mean how close you have be to them? remember peach starts the glide toss further back, she has already completed a thrid of her slide on the first on, 2 third on the second one, and about 4/5 on the third picture so you don't have to be that close.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
ugh, ima prolly just try this on landings b/c my forward glide tosses always get powershielded to grabbed otherwise unless there are other ways to land this stuff.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
wait, so to summarize, i can get an upsmash off a glidetoss that connects at

-73% in that one position, and all percentages above and
-105% in the other position, and all percentages above?

I don't understand. It says I can do it at 105% but , can I do it at any percentage higher or lower? I read this thread 3 times and I still don't get it.

If this is saying that the opponent only need be at 75% to get a sweetspotted upsmash out of a glide toss, i'm probably gonna start going to tournaments again despite being busy because its just that big of a deal..wow?!?!

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
When so see the % it means that % and up.

The mid and long range data is a few frames off after some testing but still reliable data.

From 73% and up its frame legit. Remember: point blank for this percentage.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
wait, so to summarize, i can get an upsmash off a glidetoss that connects at

-73% in that one position, and all percentages above and
-105% in the other position, and all percentages above?

I don't understand. It says I can do it at 105% but , can I do it at any percentage higher or lower? I read this thread 3 times and I still don't get it.

If this is saying that the opponent only need be at 75% to get a sweetspotted upsmash out of a glide toss, i'm probably gonna start going to tournaments again despite being busy because its just that big of a deal..wow?!?!
oh my... This sounds interesting =)

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
give us inputs corrupted and like when to time our buffers or dashes or sumtin.

i never know if i'm rly doing this right. =o

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i know it's a double post but this thread is like "guaranteed usmash" and nobody is posting on it and blowing it up at all.

sometimes these boards are really really annoying.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I would love some videos or more pictures of this guaranteed Up Smash thing being demonstrated, it would make it much much easier to picture :)

Would this work on small characters? Throwing a Turnip at point blank range against small characters like MK usually results in the Turnip going straight over their head

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Would this work on small characters? Throwing a Turnip at point blank range against small characters like MK usually results in the Turnip going straight over their head
This never happens lol. You probably glide tossed past them.

I've been hyping Peach in 3 thread of mine now. Its because of my post count I guess.

Glide toss means:

Roll -> cancel roll on frame 4/5 -> throw duration is 26 frames -> 30 frames together.

Flick your control stick side ways and flick the smash stick (sorry meno) up any time after the 20th frame. This is a third of a second. Half a second is the very lastest.

You know if you are doing it right if you do not see a animation with a cloud before the usmash.
When above the 70% mark its trickier. Now at 75%+ you will get a sourspot if you do a buffered hyphen smash. Now you have to buffer the dash AND HOLD. you have to usmash almost right after the dash starts YOU CAN NOT DO THIS ON REACTION you must see their percentage and judge how much you have to run.

So mario and his weight class:
@ 70-75: glide toss, wait a third of a second, flick control stick sideways and usmash right after. These 2 must happen in the time window of a third - half of a second (20-30) after you start the roll for a glide toss.

@75+: Glide toss, wait third of a second, jam and hold control stick sideways, just AFTER half a second (30 frames) do the usmash. wait longer as the percentages go up.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Corrupted, you will be banned from the Peach boards if you don't get on AIM.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, has anyone actually been able to do this? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Can someone post a video, please? I really don't want this thread to die. Dx

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Yea what happened to Corrupted? :(

Where arrrrre youuuuuu
We desperatly need a video for something like this, a visual demonstration of sorts. Its like the Uair chain - impossible to really appreciate with words alone

Something else I was wondering - someone made a thread ages ago (it was either Meno or hotgarbage) telling you whether you could connect the sweetspot of an Up Smash infront of or behind someone when they were grounded. Would that effect this at all?

Top Bottom