• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fromundaman presents: Tournament Hard (Akron, Ohio) 5/1/10

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So due to the outrageous amount of tournaments occurring in April, this is getting pushed back to May. It will happen this time!

Also, I realize it isn't much considering how it's split, but I will be adding $50 extra to the pot.

Venue:
My apartment
630 West Market Street, Apt #5
Akron, OH 44313

It is near the corner of Rhodes and West Market (1st right turn before Rhodes when going towards downtown), and is easy to miss. It's next to the Blick Clinic and Fifth 3rd bank.
If you get lost, or need to contact me for any reason (and let's not kid ourselves, this being NEOH, at least one person will need to call to tell me they'll be a little late :laugh: ), my phone number is 330-535-2508.

Date & time:
1st of May, registration begins at 12 PM

There is no venue fee, but I NEED people to bring setups. I only have two TVs, one of which has messed up colors and will probably only be used for friendlies, and one Wii. If we don't have setups, this tournament will last forever. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, but if people don't bring setups, I'll be forced to add a venue fee in the future to make sure we have enough setups to have a smooth tournament.

Tournament entry fee is as follows:
$10 singles
$20 per team for doubles

While there is some parking near the building, you may need to park at the Blick clinic next door, since our parking is technically for people in the apartment only.
There are plenty of places selling food nearby.

House rules:
-No stealing/breaking things/etc. Please be respectful of my stuff.
-If you want to smoke, go out on the fire escape. Ask me and I will show you where it is.
-Be respectful to the other people in the apartment (my GF and my roommate). I'm not saying we can't make noise or anything, but don't go heckling them.

Due to the low attendance, Singles Payouts are now the following:

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Regardless of attendance, teams payout is:
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%

General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* Life Stealing is allowed (Doubles Only)

* Set team attack to ON (Doubles Only)

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* Dave's Stupid Rule: No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If both are tied at the end of the match it will be replayed with the same characters, ports and stage 1 stock 2 minute time limit.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser. The Same will be for Ganons Murder Choke and Kirby/DDD swallowcides.

* You are responsible for your own controller (Bring your own) and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by
both parties.

* No show DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

* Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

* Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Stages:

Stage Striking: Players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counter picked later in the set.

Neutral Stages:
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Island
- Smashville
- Lylat Cruise

Counter Picks:
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Battleship Halberd
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Castle Siege
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar

Everything else is banned, although I am willing to discuss PS2, JJ, DP, Picto, Norfair and PTAD.

I already posted it, but allow me to restate that I NEED people to bring setups. I only have two TVs, one of which has messed up colors and will probably only be used for friendlies, and one Wii. If we don't have setups, this tournament will last forever. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, but if people don't bring setups, I'll be forced to add a venue fee in the future to make sure we have enough setups to have a smooth tournament.

I hope to see you all there.

(Also, if anyone is willing to co-host with me, that would help me out a lot.)
Oh, and I need help with finding a name :laugh:

Attendance list:
-Fromundaman
-ArgentStew
-Alus
-An Alien
-King Beef
-Suyon (Maybe?)
-Links24
-Yami
-Urban
-Apple
-M2K (Maybe?)

People needing rides:
-Blue Rogue

Setups:
-Fromundaman (1 TV + wii, and 1 TV with messed up colors that can be used if we need it.)
-King Beef (Full setup)
-Links24 (full setup)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Both are good XD

Mainly the tips and making sure I don't mess up the brackets or something.

lou4222

Smash Lord
Good stuff fromundaman. Its good to see you steppng up and trying to further the NEOH scene. Unfortunately I am probably in the same boat as Nope. I want to support this in the future though

Suyon

Smash Lord
I likes stage list. Maybe pictochat and ps2 should be there. Other people can argue for stage. Name should have bufu in it .

solecalibur

Smash Master
Day before I go to OUGA would work for me better anyways since it would be 4 hour drive to KY then back then 4 hours drive back to OU the next day

King~

Smash Champion
its fine as is imo, but people like their variety for some reason.

also yea KY is a little far from us so it was unlikely we where going anyway =/

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
D'awww... I was trying so hard to find a date with nothing on it too... Ah well, a smaller tournament is probably better for a first TOing experience anyway.

(MW has too many tournies :laugh: )

As for the stage list, meh, I personally don't mind any of the extra 6 stages, but it really depends on how much variety you guys want. I've started liking the EC stage list too, so w/e.

EDIT: I can also house people if necessary. (Though probably not on Friday, since I tend to work until 1 AM on Fridays.)

Airborne

Smash Lord
Yeahhh, march is not really a good month to start hosting tournies atm. XD If only certain Weak East Coast People realized that as well...
But, there are people with distance johns for Lex, so by all means, go ahead with this one! =) (And it's not bad at all to start with a smaller group of people; it'll grow!!!)

I'll be at Lex, of course, so I might possibly look into going to one of these tournies later on down the road.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Indeed. I plan to host these on a monthly or bi-monthly basis if they go well (Hopefully between this, TYM, and Kyosh's, NEOH can get some people to come to us for a change).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Psh... Jiffy, Mario's got that Ness' number!

Do me a favor and choke though; I need it if I want to win again! :laugh:

solecalibur

Smash Master
I can understand the hate for pictochat but PS2? That stage seems like a neutral to me if not a conservative counter-pick stage

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Akron isn't so far away from here, and I know my way since my sister goes to college up there. Question is if I 'm allowed to drive up there. would love to come.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
PS2 is nowhere near neutral. Not ban-worthy IMO, but definitely in the CP category, considering how much each stage can interfere with play to a certain extent (Wind stage is just annoying, metal definitely gives certain chars an advantage, Ice means sliding smashes, which helps some chars more than others, and Ground encourages camping.). The main reason I didn't have it on though is because few people like it.

Pictochat is fun, and I personally don't see it as ban-worthy, but many seem to disagree. Same with PTAD.

Norfair and JJ, on the other hand, I personally find to be dumb stages, but I know some people like them, so I'm leaving those up to you guys as well.

DP... I know we've used it a couple times, and I don't know enough about the stage to really say much about it either way.

Pictochat has just a **** ton of interference. I really would like to explain but dear god it's late and I have to be up early for work. If ya want, I can do my explaining after I get home from work....and well my test also. lol.

Suyon

Smash Lord
Yeah like that diagonal line that takes away the ledge for recovery.

Also I realized this is the week of my dad's birthday so uhh....we shall see....

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
@ Fromundaman: Ness vs Mario is so stupid. Mario owns that matchup.

@ Argent: I feel good about it but part of it is generating some regional hype amongst ourselves.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Jiffy, that's true, but you've nearly done it a few times. If you don't choke, I'm sure you can beat me.
That being said, I have FLUDD, so we'll see :D

Argent, I've learned the Lucario MU finally... watch out!

As for Picto, yeah, it's true that it does have interference, but there's really nothing that can really screw you over that you can't see coming, which is why I was willing to discuss it, but if no one wants it on, then no problem. (Although I'll admit I do enjoy my janky 'stone glitches everywhere' stage.)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Lol, I love Picto but I'll admit it's super gay sometimes. Me and Beegs played Wakka and Sil there, then it came down to me vs Wakka. Nothing about the stage really killed us (can't say the same for our partners' last stocks though xD) but I swear that stage was on Wakka's side. We ended up fighting in between those spikes that come up and I grabbed his Diddy who was at kill percent, f-threw him toward the spike, and JUST as he was going to get hit by the spike...the whole thing disappeared. FML. :laugh:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Lol, I love Picto but I'll admit it's super gay sometimes. Me and Beegs played Wakka and Sil there, then it came down to me vs Wakka. Nothing about the stage really killed us (can't say the same for our partners' last stocks though xD) but I swear that stage was on Wakka's side. We ended up fighting in between those spikes that come up and I grabbed his Diddy who was at kill percent, f-threw him toward the spike, and JUST as he was going to get hit by the spike...the whole thing disappeared. FML. :laugh:
LOL too good.

That being said, I have pretty much the same opinion on the stage.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Partying with guys is ok and fun, but if there's gonna be women there... you might as well count me in. Guaranteed.

I'd probably still go even without them though :p

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Updating with attendance and setup lists.

Also Beegs, your link gave me a runtime error :(

By the way, what would you guys like for a side tournament? Obviously, I'd be up for low tiers (+E tier if you guys want that), though anything is good.

Top Bottom