• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This forum needs a little sprucing up - Also ideas for encouraging good threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Sticky clutter and what not is getting in the way.

Stickied Threads:

Tier List thread
Advice Thread
Character Ranking List
Best Vids of each character!
Frame Data Directory
Your First Tournament
A guide to competitive play

Of these, I think the last two could be integrated into a 'Brawl Tactical Advice and Resources' thread or something (which I think should be the Advice thread - I'll talk to SamuraiPanda about that). It could also integrate a link to the Frame Data thread as well.

DMG's video thread, whilst probably more belonging in the video discussion forum, I actually find to be important and necessary for new players to see, and should be in a high traffic room like this. Also the general philosophy behind the thread, that is, to display the current metagame of a character, is quite important. I'd like your opinion though DMG, so if you see this before I contact you, please PM me/post here.

The tier list and rankings threads are fine as is.

Also, I've been thinking for a while about starting a competition for quality threads.
Every month we could have a competition for users to make quality tactical discussion threads, and they could win prizes like gaining 'Writer' status (Orange username + quill postbit icon).

I wanted to get my thoughts out here in the public so you guys can have your say. You guys do a good job of helping us help you with reporting posts and what not to keep this place a good place to be, so let me know in here what you guys think we need in here (even if it's something I haven't mentioned).

This is the place where we see advances in the metagame happen, where we see ideologies form and see important discussion take place. I'd just like to make it a little easier on the eyes.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Excellent idea, I agree, the Best Vids of each character should stay stickied. The times it wasn't it would get swiftly buried.

The competition for users to make quality tactical discussion threads sounds good. Orange user and postbit icon :bee:
Would it be every month, or just whenever someone makes an awesome thread? What are the judges looking for?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'd probably sit down with a couple of the other mods and come up with criteria, and it would probably be a monthly thing.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I agree with your thinking Vyse. Tactical Forums, while maybe not the true/proper "home" for a thread like mine, I think easily is the better place to display it. More people, new or seasoned, visit the tactical forums compared to the video forums by far, and I think reaching a bigger audience for a thread like that by simply moving it a tad should positively outweigh the cons of having it there instead of at the videos discussion forums.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I'm thinking you may want to sticky Rajam's "match-up chart" since it happens to have a lot of valuable data.

J4pu

Smash Champion
or just link to it, because there are a ton of threads with valuable information, but if they were all stickied there would be like 5times more stickied threads than other threads per page, at least with my layout.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think it would be cool if there was just 2-3 stickies, one of them being a list of important threads.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Once I get Mr. Panda's opinion I'll get onto this. I'm taking all the suggestions into account so far and will act on it soon.

humble

Smash Ace
Only 2 stickies; rules and etc, so we have better posting and a general guideline to how TD should operate, and then one super sticky, which is essentially a link library that compresses the stickies into one thread and links out to them.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Personally I never visit eh video forums or look at a stickied thread of important threads, but hopefully that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom