• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Denmark melee/brawl powerrankings

stelzig

Smash Lord
Melee (18/02/2010)
1: Tomber - Pikachu, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff
2: Stelzig - Marth, Sheik (mainly in teams), C.Falcon
3: Navn - Fox
4: Oskar - Falco, Fox, C.Falcon, Jigglypuff
5: Dew - Marth
6: Eagle - Young Link, Ganondorf, Samus
7: Oni - Peach, Sheik
8: Abild - Jigglypuff, Sheik
9: Chansey NES - Sheik
10: Ghozt - Luigi
11. Coco - Dr.Mario, Sheik, Peach
12. Thias - Peach, C.Falcon
13. Jonas - Marth
14. MINI - C.Falcon
15. Jeppe123 - Falco, Peach

There was alot of debate on wether tomber or stelzig should be first after stelzig won the tournament played right before this pretty convincingly. 3rd-5th is really close as well (personally i think dew is 3rd) with 6th not far behind (though everyone agreed he should be 6th). 7th was pretty safe too. After that it becomes more of a toss up and it could change dramatically pretty quickly. Tomber uses funny characters.

Brawl (18/02/2010)
1: Dewdewdew aka dew2king - Metaknight, diddy kong, random/everyone
2: Navn - Snake, Wario
3: Tomber - Diddy kong
4: Eagle - Ness
5: Jeppe123 - Snake
6: Stelzig - Kirby, pikachu
7: Jonas - Bowser
8: MINI - Samus
9: Oskar - GaW
10: Chansey NES - Marth

As with melee there was a bit of debate (well not too much) wether it should be navn og dew at the top since navn won the same recent tournament as stelzig did (only for brawl here). Tomber surprised and jumped pretty high up the rankings which dew (IIRC) said was pretty sure too. Eagle stays in the position he's always been in while stelzig who usually plays even with him drops after a poor performance especially in the snake and wolf matchup. Jeppe going way up after switching to snake. Anything below top2 (maybe top3 or 4) is once again a bit of a toss up however. Navn and dew could probably actually somewhat compete in international tournaments. Special mention for sheep (ICs) who is a probable contender for a high place, with him being an active online brawler on AiB (being 19-3 in w/l as of this post), but he has yet to participate in anything with us.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Thing is, we'd much prefer to base the list on offline matches and tournament results. Not that I don't agree with you though, he's clearly better than I am, for instance.

Oni Nick

Smash Rookie
Meh, I still wanna get into the top 5. I'm pretty sure I can take 6th away from Eagle sometime. However, with King Funk coming and all, it might prove difficult. :p

Edit: And maybe I'll begin to take Brawl a little seriously, so that I eventually will appear on that list, lol.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Nope, we sorta pale in comparison to Sweden - especially at Melee.

Our community is still pretty new though, and we add new interested people from time to time. We should become better eventually =]

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Don't worry guys, with me, this community will grow 2500% faster. :)

You need moar tournies!

Btw, Sheep is an IC's main, correct that in the OP.

stelzig

Smash Lord
More tournies might be hard as most danes don't even seem to be willing to pay entry fees (we have yet to have a tournament with cash prizes :p)... I'd welcome it though ;)
Any specific date on when you'll be in Denmark yet?

Fixed the sheep thing. Had seen it on his AiB profile, but even there people commented on his profile that he actually mained D3 so i assumed he really did >_>

Navn: Tror vi er længere bagud i brawl hvis vi ikke tæller dig og dew med ;)

Navn

Smash Apprentice
It's because he uses D3 online. D3 doesn't suffer as much from lag, i guess.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
More tournies might be hard as most danes don't even seem to be willing to pay entry fees (we have yet to have a tournament with cash prizes :p)... I'd welcome it though ;)
Any specific date on when you'll be in Denmark yet?

Fixed the sheep thing. Had seen it on his AiB profile, but even there people commented on his profile that he actually mained D3 so i assumed he really did >_>

Navn: Tror vi er længere bagud i brawl hvis vi ikke tæller dig og dew med ;)
Cash prizes bring the hype. :chuckle:

Navn

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the majority of the danish Nintendo-community see it that way. They're like "we're not good enough to win, so it's a waste of money". That's why some of us argue that we should wait with cash prizes 'till we have a larger, more dedicated community.

Also, since we're such a small community, cash prizes at every event would just become a regular donation from the 10 worst players to the 5 best. We are not interested in that. Should we arrange an international tournament, money prizes would of course be guaranteed.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I don't think the majority of the danish Nintendo-community see it that way. They're like "we're not good enough to win, so it's a waste of money". That's why some of us argue that we should wait with cash prizes 'till we have a larger, more dedicated community.
Cash prizes usually attract more people, and it gives to the smash tourney scene a better and more serious image to the other fighting game communities.

Also, since we're such a small community, cash prizes at every event would just become a regular donation from the 10 worst players to the 5 best. We are not interested in that. Should we arrange an international tournament, money prizes would of course be guaranteed.
Well players should be encouraged into entering that top 5.

But yeah guys, I won't boss you around. xD (maybeeeee)

Navn

Smash Apprentice
I think you are right to some extent. If the community is sufficiently big, the grandeur of cash prizes and the hype could indeed attract people. To be blunt, the Danish Nintendo Community is just not very interested in smash, and the smashers are sorta being condemned for being interested in the game on a competitive scale. If we take it further and start charging people money, i think the little interest there is will fade pretty quickly.

I don't wanna pay 25DKR (3,36 EUR) to play a single Brawl match D:
-danish guy who has taken quite an interest in our community, but is not very good at the games.

I know the mentality he has is not optimal if you want to improve, but i still don't think we should exclude people like him at our current stage. Especially not when we are such a minor country. I think having a large, dedicated community is the most important thing if we want to recruit alot of new people. What we should really be working on is adding new dudes to our community, instead of alienizing the "noobs" by stealing their money.

With more people, the entry fee doesn't have to be as big either. This means that the worse players can join tournaments and learn without having to pay too much to the good players. Sweden, with their 50+ people tournaments, is a good example of how well things can work out.

I didn't really wanna take this discussion outside of the Danish boards, but oh well.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Sorry for butting in, but you can solve the problem of people not wanting to spend money for 1 match (technically 2) by having round-robin pools and free side-events, like low tiers or doubles (if there aren't enough competitive teams).

stelzig

Smash Lord
We do use double elimination and often have pools even though only like 1/4 players get eliminated in them. The guy saying that just don't quite know how it works.

I'm sure people would still attend if you put an entry fee at your tournaments if you host any in Denmark anyway king funk. As long as it isn't too much. Might wanna be slightly careful with brawl though as it doesn't have as much interest and i could imagine a few deciding not to play if there was an entry fee.

@flayl: We do those kind of things too. Once we had a DK master tourney where everyone had to use donkey kong (community meme related). ^_^
I also think there would actually somewhat be more interest for money in teams actually since there's more variation in the top in that. Well last time first place sorta came easy to me and tomber after we started teaming again (pre-pound i teamed with Jonas just since he was also going).

Navn

Smash Apprentice
If we have low entry fees we would not be able to give out substantial cash-prizes anyway - we might aswell have no entry fee then.

And yeah, we have both pool play and double elimination (y)

By the way, the Brawl finals had way more attention than the Melee finals at our last event :p

stelzig

Smash Lord
Which is then why I said even before the debate started that there just shoudn't be payouts for as many people (like top3 instead of top5). And it's not about winning a huge cashprize anyway - if a low cashprize isn't substantial, then why is a low entry fee? (like why is paying a really small amount of money such a big deal if you don't think the money put together is even that much) Not much point in having this discussion again though, i'm just saying what i said on the danish forum.

Brawl had more attention due to being earlier and due to it not only being the smash community participating :p (and due to some people leaving)

Abild

Smash Rookie
As already mentioned the danish mentality towards smash is somewhat negative. If we start to take money from everyone going, our community won't grow.

Besides, even though Denmark is a pretty small country, travelling is pretty expensive and half the people in our community are poor :p

Stelzig: We'll take you guys in teams next time ;)

Navn: I'm pretty confident that Melee would have generated more attraction, had it not been played so late the second day :)

Navn

Smash Apprentice
@Stelzig:
I can't really be bothered to do this discussion again. You are already outvoted, and reposting the same arguments here is not going to change anything.

stelzig

Smash Lord
This isn't completely "official", but mostly people agree with this list now:

1. Tomber - Ice climbers, Sheik
2. Navn - Fox (+1)
3. stelzig - Marth, Sheik (-1)
4. Oskar - Falco, jigglypuff, Fox
5. Eagle - Samus (+1)
-------------
6. Dew - Marth, Sheik (-1)
7. Oni - Peach
-------------
8. Chansey NES - Sheik, Jigglypuff (+1)
9. Jonas - Marth (+4)
10. Abild - Jigglypuff, Sheik (-2)

People below top10 are too hard to tell really. At least for me and they haven't given much input themselves. We might make a new list soon now that king funk has joined our community.

Edit: Placings that are arguable:
- If tomber is still #1 as he seemed pretty rusty when we played him last (though he got better quickly, but maybe not good enough for first place). Navn especially could very likely be better at this point, especially after the experience he got at SNY (he's probably the one of us who learned the most)
- My position. I'm mostly there because i've placed top2 most tournaments, and also am the only player who has taken a tournament win from tomber. I think alot of people were ready to dump me down further on the list (they be hatin' lol) after our most recent tournament, but i managed to take second place in it once again.
- Wether dew or oni is better currently. Oni is improving and dew is not very active (similar to tomber). Oni also beat dew in our most recent tournament

stelzig

Smash Lord
He is pretty good.

We made a new ranking today. A few people gave their top10 and I dealt 10 points to 1st, 9 to 2nd, 8 to 3rd and so on... The people who voted were navn, eagle, oskar, oni nick, tomber, and myself.

26/10/10
1. Navn - Fox (60) +2
2. stelzig - Marth/Sheik (53)
3. Oskar - Falco/Puff (48) +1
4. Eagle - Samus/Falcon (41) +2
5. Tomber - Sheik/Ice Climbers (38) -4
6. Oni Nick - Peach (29) +1
7. Dew - Marth/Sheik (22) -2
8. King Funk - Falco (17) *new*
9. Chansey NES - Sheik/Puff (16)
10. Jonas - Marth/Ganondorf (6) +3

Honorable mentions: Thias - Peach, Abild - Puff

Myself and Oskar both use a couple more characters, but these are the most likely to see in tourney. Though you could end up seeing oskars falcon as well, and my falco or fox (used fox last tournament because i was counterpicked to corneria... lol)

A quick brawl list made by navn:
1: Dew
2: Navn
3: KF
4: Tomber / Eagle / Oskar / JeeP
5: Stelzig
6: The rest

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
He is pretty good.

We made a new ranking today. A few people gave their top10 and I dealt 10 points to 1st, 9 to 2nd, 8 to 3rd and so on... The people who voted were navn, eagle, oskar, oni nick, tomber, and myself.

26/10/10
1. Navn - Fox (60) +2
2. stelzig - Marth/Sheik (53)
3. Oskar - Falco/Puff (48) +1
4. Eagle - Samus/Falcon (41) +2
5. Tomber - Sheik/Ice Climbers (38) -4
6. Oni Nick - Peach (29) +1
7. Dew - Marth/Sheik (22) -2
8. King Funk - Falco (17) *new*
9. Chansey NES - Sheik/Puff (16)
10. Jonas - Marth/Ganondorf (6) +3

Honorable mentions: Thias - Peach, Abild - Puff

Myself and Oskar both use a couple more characters, but these are the most likely to see in tourney. Though you could end up seeing oskars falcon as well, and my falco or fox (used fox last tournament because i was counterpicked to corneria... lol)

A quick brawl list made by navn:
1: Dew
2: Navn
3: KF
4: Tomber / Eagle / Oskar / JeeP
5: Stelzig
6: The rest
The Brawl one is wrong as hell. Sorry lol, but Navn is kinda biased here. He makes his own list and places himself in front of me without even having played me seriously. He prolly considers those friendlies at my place with my ultra rusty Falco to be legit. Also, you're better than Tomber and Oskar. I don't know about JeeP.

There just shouldn't be a Brawl powerrankings anyway, especially if we're never gonna be playing that game seriously. Either we step it up for Brawl or this list just goes away.

Melee one is fine, although I think Dew and Oni are slightly inactive. Oni rising one spot even though he hasn't played since Head****ingstomper, wtf lol. Doesn't matter though.

stelzig

Smash Lord
I made my quick ranking for brawl almost the same as navn, except i didn't include myself and had put you and navn on the same spot as well. Take it for what it is, as i said it's just a quick list he made.

Also: Oni was at CGC4 (hell he was one of the hosts AND he beat eagle at this tournament and almost beat me giving him 4th place) and SNY. Dew was at CGC4.

Edit: Well actually now that i think about it i think it may have been dew who beat eagle. Either way dew did very well at CGC4, and he did place 4th (with Navn, me and oskar taking 1, 2 and 3).

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I made my quick ranking for brawl almost the same as navn, except i didn't include myself and had put you and navn on the same spot as well. Take it for what it is, as i said it's just a quick list he made.

Also: Oni was at CGC4 (hell he was one of the hosts AND he beat eagle at this tournament and almost beat me giving him 4th place) and SNY. Dew was at CGC4.

Edit: Well actually now that i think about it i think it may have been dew who beat eagle. Either way dew did very well at CGC4, and he did place 4th (with Navn, me and oskar taking 1, 2 and 3).
Okeh lol you will always find arguments. I guess I just have to get better and prove myself.

stelzig

Smash Lord
I didn't really argue anything here I just said it's navn's list and that you're simply incorrect about oni nick's and dew's activity :p

But yeah prove yourself. Along with oni you´re probably the player most likely to rise further. Maybe we'll make a new powerranking after NM6 in february or something :)

Abild

Smash Rookie
I think Oni defeated Dew. I think he neded up in losers after loosing a match vs. Navn.. But I am not quite sure about this, though.

Anyway, we should make a proper Brawl rank guys. Or at least have everyone who has an opinion make a comment.

As for the Melee list, it looks okay. Oni has only missed one big tourney, of course it was the most reason one, but I think he deserves that spot. He would be a lot better if he could play some of the top players more consistently.

As for my own performance.. Well.. The last time I played seriously was during CGC4 and my skill elvel hasn't improved since then. So it's seems far. I have to find a new title onm the danish boards now, though. "Top 10 in DK" is a sucky title for one, who isn't in the top 10 :p

Perhaps I am "Top 10 in DK" at Strikers but I guess that doesn't really count :p

Oh, and all of you guys need to practice hard. It'll be boring if Navn wins every tourney in the future ;)

stelzig

Smash Lord
^I knocked nick into losers and again out of losers :p
Sounds right otherwise though. He beat dew in losers, and dew beat eagle in winners (i beat eagle in losers as well)

Vi kan da godt prøve at lave en ny brawl ranking, det er bare ikke lige så let at lave en top10. Efter top6 begynder det at være svært at placere spillere. Men det ville nok være mig, jonas og MINI. Jeg ved det ikke hehe hoho. Du kan jo bare tage det op på det danske forum jep.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
The Brawl one is wrong as hell. Sorry lol, but Navn is kinda biased here. He makes his own list and places himself in front of me without even having played me seriously. He prolly considers those friendlies at my place with my ultra rusty Falco to be legit. Also, you're better than Tomber and Oskar. I don't know about JeeP.

There just shouldn't be a Brawl powerrankings anyway, especially if we're never gonna be playing that game seriously. Either we step it up for Brawl or this list just goes away.
"ultra rusty" is a bad john, lol. Whether you played better in the past is not something that should be considered for a current power ranking.

stelzig really isn't better than Oskar, and I'm fairly sure he's worse than Tomber too.

Though you're right about the fact that we'd probably need a serious brawl (singles) tourney to make an accurate list now, even if the brawl list right now is pretty decent.

I didn't play against Oni at CGC4.

Top Bottom