• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bamesy's LLL (Last Update : Highlightings/Legend/Cleaning) :)

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Bamesy's
Learning Luigi Lessons

WARNING : WALL OF TEXT
These are just words so don’t take them too literally. I don’t like to theory craft or argue and I pretty much write whatever comes to mind whenever I feel like it. So if something offends you or you think it’s silly, point it out or let me know, if you don’t mind. I’m open to comments and take everything under consideration.

This won’t take me long to write but I’ll be updating it in sections at a time as there is a lot I want to say.
INFORMATION

LEGEND

0) - :)
These indicate minor changes in topics and will have markings beside them, indicating if something has been added or changed in the section.
1) - Information
This has general info to help understand this post, how it's organized, a little about me and why I made this and what it was made for, anything else needed.
2) - LLL1 - Do The Best You Can
This covers topics like being comfortable, confident, focussed and aware when playing smash and improving at the game to the best of your ability.
3) - LLL2 - Part 1 : Tech Chasing
This covers decision making and reading your opponents. Certain ways to punish and paying attention to your opponents decisions to predict well and effectively.
4) - LLL2 - Part 2 : Falcon Match Up
This covers the match up against Falcon. Reading his options and how to pressure him and not get punished during your approach and close range battles.
5) - LLL3 - Part 1 : Stage Control
This covers ways to establish your game and create a precense around yourself. How to keep control of the space around you and control your opponent.

:)
3 - (minor changes : March 11)

PURPOSE

This isn't a Question and Answer thread, though if anyone wants to ask a Question, I’ll gladly Answer.
This isn't a Video Critique thread, though I will Critique a Video thoroughly if asked or if I find necissary.
This isn’t an Advice and Tips thread, though you may take it that way, ask for some or give some.

This is just something I’d like to share. As I think it could help someone in the community understand or improve or SOMETHING at this game. I just feel that some people could use and would appreciate something like this.

I’m essentially just going to try and teach someone how to play this game. From nothing, as if that someone has never played this game before. Until I don't know how anything I share with them could possibly help them more. I've done things similar to this before, but over long periods of time and in person. Here I plan to do my best to put it in one post.
- Be entertained, be offended, be whatever. This is what I have to say.

Now where to start...

1) - Luigi is Awesome.

1) - I'm glad all Luigi players play Luigi and grateful for the miniture sub-community we do have, more people should join us. He's obviously difficult and very odd to use, therefore rightfully very underrated for what he is capable of.

2) - I won’t get into Luigi specific things very much at all. There’s much more to this game that every Luigi player, good or bad, could easily get better at besides linking moves together and tactical decision making.

2) - A Bit About Me
- This is just some information about me that you may want to know before reading so much. Though I hope this doesn’t change the way you take what I have to say, as it really shouldn't.

1) - I like to roam the boards, posting when appropriate with the means of helping people with match ups or getting them out of performance slumps, clearing things up for people in discussions, pointing out and detailing specifics in methods or habits in videos or ideas, all sorts of things while using several different accounts, and plenty with each of them too.

2) - I live HOURS away from the nearest high level player so this is how I keep up with the smash world. You’ve probably never heard of me or seen me, seen me mentioned or even seen me play a match. I don’t go to tournaments very often, the major ones I go to I usually don't enter the events, and I haven’t been playing for more than a couple years.

It’s going to be a lot to read
- I’ll try and make it worth every bit of your time. Hopefully it helps someone as much as it has helped those I've previously shared this with. They're part of the reason I'm doing this after all, anyone else who gets what they did out of this is the other part of that reason.

Note : I'll of course try to make this as easy to read as possible, though I tend to prefer writing 'properly' so sorry! LOL

Now something simple...to start.

Learning Luigi : Lesson 1
Do The Best You Can

"That’s all anyone will ever ask of you and that’s all you can ask of yourself. Just do the best you can, that’s all you can do. You can’t do any better than your best, so do the best you can."

- It’s really so simple, yet it’s a major problem for almost everyone in some way. People not doing their best or concerned with some conditions that may make them not perform their best. These are commonly know as ‘Johns

In almost every crew battle I’ve witnessed or been involved in, there are players that are hesitant to play, saying they’re not ready for some outside reason or unsure if they can take their set opponent. Usually this is the uncertainty that they won’t play their best, and letting others know that they’re not up to their own standards would make them feel more comfortable with performing poorly. Despite the fact that they might not be at their best, there is no reason not to try their best.

Great players do this just like anyone, but no matter how poorly you may be playing, you still have to play the match. Why not try your best? The best in the world, in nearly every aspect of life, including smash, do the best they can under any circumstance. They may John about something, but they won’t stop doing what they possibly can to the best of their ability at the time. That's all they can do.

Some players make incredible Coaches with their understanding of the simple things like this, when these same things can make other great players faulter. Chances are, everyone has seen it before somewhere. A great player faultering while another is steady. Just keep going and do your best, that's all there is to it.

Example : Hugs Coaching Mango in Grand Finals against Armada at Genesis.

- With just simple things like telling him to keep going with what he was doing, not forcing things and playing his best, the game slowly turned around when he got that stuck in his head. Being pushed forward by encouraging words can make all the difference mentally and the mental part of the game is the biggest part. His Coaching helped Mango more than he gets credit for. This is just one example and it happens more often than most people see.

"Just do your best, that's all we ask of you and that's all you should ask from yourself."
If everyone had someone put a hand on their shoulder and tell them that or something along those lines, everyone would no doubt play better going into their match. Strange how it shouldn't need to be said, but it would help almost everyone. Try it, you might help someone in your crew one day.

Note : Confidence from outside sources can be game changing.

Cliche Try and Try Again

- At every level of play, there come times where you won’t be playing your best. Perhaps it will be from getting beat badly and repeatedly, perhaps it will be from taking too long of a break between playing matches. Either way, you can only do your best, nothing more, so why not do it?

There are no true negative results from trying your best, whether you succeed beyond your hopes of fail hard. Often, doing the best you can and failing can discourage people from trying to do their best because of pride, discomfort, many other sources. All of which are mental things that can be overcome. Truly, if you don't try your best, you're doing something even worse for yourself. Whether it's more comfortable or not.

If you succeed, try your best in a different way. Try new things or try to do even better the next time, as you can always get better. At every level of play, players can hit slumps where they feel discouraged or annoyed that they can't improve anymore or don't feel that they are. If that's the case, challenge yourself in some other way. It's worth it to try finding another way to do your best than simply rinsing and repeating what you can accomplish even when you perform subparly anyway.

Example : Helping someone become more of a challenge for you can be the challenge itself.

If you don’t accomplish what you tried or are trying, keep trying. There is no reason not to. Even if you’re barely touching your opponent, do your best to find a way how, as that’s all you can do. If you get destroyed or barely lose and are up to it, hopefully disregarding any pride or discomfort you may have doing it, ask your opponent what they think of something in your performance. If they can help you and you want to improve, why not accept that help?

Note : There are always ways to improve and you always can, you just have to let yourself do it. At every level.

Of course, there are times when it’s not worth it to keep playing. If you’re too tired or simply need a break, stop for a while. It’s fine to take breaks or stop playing if you’re not up to it, but if you’re going to keep playing, you know what to do, your best.

Ideal Enviroment

- When you know the people you're playing fairly well or are just generally comfortable with losing to who you're playing, play as much as you can handle. As long as you're enjoying it, that's the purpose whether you're winning or losing, have fun.

Not many people feel comfortable being picked apart by a stranger or losing to people they don't know, but by someone you trust and know fairly well, it's usually much more comfortable. Feeling comfortable with your losses may help you see why you lost more clearly. Getting better isn't as difficult or frustrating if you accept where you are and try to understand how. It's more fun to try to get better when you're comfortable with the idea that you can and need to get better.

If you have the luxury of playing with several other people, doing things aside from your main goal, smash in this case, to grow as a group with other leisure activities is more effective than it may seem. Not only will you enjoy playing each other more, but you won’t mind losing to each other as much, and you’ll be more open to helping each other.

Example : There’s a new group of players that have been getting together in my area, which hasn’t happened in a long time, and they’re smart at how to play this game. They aren’t great players yet, but have come a very long way in a very short time. It's directly related to how they approach this game in a way that more people should.

A couple of them play for a while, and when one starts losing too often to be comfortable, whether they feel they’re not playing well or the other player starts playing better, they take a break. Then the next player steps in and plays for a while. The others might play each other or simply do other activities. This comfortable and friendly type of set up to play is a great way to improve rapidly and enjoy it, as well as enjoy doing the best you can and freely do it.

- Comfort is a huge priority in anything, you’ll hear that from almost everyone that enjoys and is good at what they do, smash is no exception.
Which brings the next major point.

Questions and Answers

- When given advice or searching for advice, or just information in general, too often people will hear something and not actually understand, but won’t ask again. Or perhaps they’ll just shrug it off and not bother with it. This doesn't usually help anyone.

Ask questions until you understand the answer, it may benefit you to recieve the correct and full message. It's always worth asking. Words aren’t usually said just for the sake of speaking or writing, there is reason behind it. If you’re at all interested in keeping what you’ve learned in memory, it’s not a bad idea to understand it as best you can.

"If you befriend another person but lack the mercy to correct them, you are in fact their enemy."

- That’s a quote that comes to play in the smash community too often.

1) - Ask to give suggestions to someone if you have something they might benefit from hearing.

2) - Ask for suggestions if you think they might have something worth saying that could benefit you.

If you can do something better, you can learn how to do it. A great way to do this is ask someone who may know or be able to help you with it. There is no harm in asking and everyone would gladly help another person when asked for something. It’s a game that’s played primarily for fun, nobody starts playing regularly for any other reason. So in turn, we’re all in this together, not enemies. The bond we share through smash isn’t seen this way as often as it should be.

If you ask for help, you’ll get it, and if you think you can help, ask if they want your input.

- You’d be surprised at the result. Even if you don’t think they want to hear it, or even care about what you have to say, share it. More often than not, they will appreciate it long term, even if they respond negatively to you to begin with.

The best ways to improve at the games deeper levels are to be taught, and teach. This is overlooked dramatically. If there wasn’t a community, we would have a much more difficult time getting good at this game. If we had a community that didn’t communicate, that community wouldn’t serve much of it’s purpose.

End Note : Do the best you can at all times. Whether it's to get better yourself or help someone else. The more comfortable you are, the easier it'll be for you to do your best. Both in getting better and performing well in your matches. Get to feel comfortable with asking for help and don't be discouraged by your losses. Use all that you can to get better, successes and failures both play their role in becoming the best you can be. Don't let them go to waste. You can always get better and you can always do your best. No johns.

;)

Learning Luigi : Lesson 2

Tech Chasing + Captain Falcon
(Part 1 : Reading Your Opponent)

Luigi is an exception to general ‘rules of thumb’ in melee. The use of aerials, moving with dash dancing, things that are essential and consistent throughout the cast simply do not apply to him. He is the most odd and awkward character for typical smashers. There are however parallels between the way Luigi and other characters play their roles.

Though the tools they have aren’t even comparable in use or application, Captain Falcon is more related to Luigi than any other character. The one main difference in how they approach a match is the difference between punishment and pressure.

Play Summary

Captain Falcon : Prediction + Punishment + Pursuit

Luigi : Prediction + Pressure + Pursuit

- A huge trait that each of them possess is their speed over great distances. Their in and out speed is their greatest advantage over any opponent. Though very different in how they use their speed and its source, it’s used for the same purpose.

Tech chasing plays a huge factor in any match with Falcon. The defensive decisions the opponent makes. With a few good reads on the defending players choices, Falcon can take a quick lead. The reason this is such a strong focus is because of his great punishment game.
With a good prediction, Falcon can punish better than almost anyone in every scenario.

Not only is his punish when properly predicted so devastating, the best punishment options he has are completely safe. When punishing accordingly or simply missing a prediction, the punishing moves are fast enough, along with his movement speed, to pursue the opponent before their safe again.

Luigi is great when played this way, punishment being the main goal. With things like his smashes leading to decent aerials, simply the aerials themselves or good tilts, his punishment game is up there and he’s often quick enough to keep pursuing after a hit or missed read. Just like Falcon.

Though when this is done to the best of Luigi’s ability, he’s not Captain Falcon and this doesn’t give him an automatic stock lead after one good read. He simply doesn’t have that finishing power that’s needed for a completely punishment focussed game.
This is however, the way most Luigi’s play the game. It works too, as he’s fast and can punish fairly well.

- Due to this being so common and easy to understand, it’s easy to defend this position in Luigi’s game.

1) - This means every combo is finished so you don’t lose potentially what you should be able to easily get, which is very important.

2) - As well, with good predictions, Luigi can get many of these chances and guaranteed combos.

3) - It also provides support to the fact that his edge game is best set up as frequently as possible.

At the same time, this has indirectly closed off the options of players towards doing other things with Luigi aside from this effective punishment game. It’s easy to read a decision, tech or movement, and follow with a punishing hit, but it’s not necessarily the most beneficial long term.
- Reacting effectively to a decision is easy to do with Falcon and Luigi because of their speed. Though punishing a read is lethal with Falcon, not Luigi.

- It’s something Luigi’s get stuck doing because it’s great to do. This is where the development of a character at a high level can go stale.

Luigi can follow up to punish as easily and often as Falcon, but Luigi can’t follow up with punishment as effective or efficient as Falcon. Such has been the case for a long time. Hence the better the Luigi is at predicting the opponent, the better the Luigi does. Rarely does anything else factor in amongst high level Luigi players. Of course the way Luigi’s punish and pursue varies, but it’s not nearly as significant as their differences in ability to predict.

Ka Master And Predicting Decisions

There is one name every Luigi should know.

When I came into the smash community, I didn’t look at technical aspects or fancy things of that nature. I looked strictly at the mental part of the game. Where people went in what situations and the general decision making aspect of the game as well as what people thought their opponent would do in those situations. Once I understood this game to some degree, I looked into what I wanted from it and who I wanted to follow to get a good idea on intelligent players in this game.

To this day, Ka Master is one of the smartest at picking up on others decisions I’ve ever seen. I’ve yet to see someone predict people’s offensive and defensive decisions as well as Ka Master. It’s why he does so well. He’s overall a really smart player and person.

He also, without question, plays Luigi with a version of a Captain Falcon state of mind. It works, he predicts, punishes, and pursues. Since he’s so good at reading and predicting people, he’s able to punish plenty. Pursuing is easy enough with Luigi's speed afterwards. This is what makes him good. There isn’t much more to it.

- With Luigi’s speed, Luigi can punish anything he predicts properly. Ka Master in turn, predicts properly more often than not. The other aspects of his game are also amazing too, obviously, but this is the main factor.

Note : This is why he was great with Luigi long ago, and this is why he’s great with Luigi today.

This, from what I’ve observed, is something that has slowed the development of Luigi as a character, rather than advanced it. Not from him, from all who actually use Luigi competitively. The prediction is key, and Luigi players as players are becoming better from it. The part of the game for Luigi regarding punishing these predictions isn’t what’s changed over the last year.

“This is why he was great with Luigi long ago, and this is why he’s great with Luigi today.”

1) - A couple years ago, Ka was good because of his ability to predict peoples choices. He could punish often because of his ability to predict and his punishment game was good.

2) - Today, he’s good because of his ability to predict peoples choices. Still. With the new tools that are currently used among today’s players, it doesn’t effect his prediction game.

- The way he punishes them has altered, but this hasn’t effected how good he is as significantly as the fact that with all of the new tools in this game, it doesn’t effect being a smart player.

I've seen enough of Darkrain to know he's great at reading people. It’s also often said that if he gets a grab on a Shiek, he gets the stock. This, without a doubt, is due to his ability to predict. As seen in the great Falcon ditto sets with him winning, his smart play and predicting is what makes him good. Not being able to punish the predictions better than other Falcons, simply predicting correctly more often.
When two of the best players at prediction play each other, the Falcon should beat the Luigi when they simply punish predictions often to win, and that’s what happened both times these two played.

Applying Only Part Of The Game
Luigi doesn’t have punishment game to match Falcon, but he has the pursuit game and can capitalize on predictions as easily, as often and as effectively as Falcon.

The other way that he can capitalize on predictions is something that goes highly overlooked when in this predict and pursue state of mind, which is a very important state of mind to be in as Luigi. This trait is the close range pressure game that Luigi possesses and Falcon doesn’t have.

Luigi can create an area around him of rapid burst power moves, range in all directions with speed and diversity behind it. Much like many characters in this game, he can create havoc around him. This is something Falcon doesn’t have and something other players have difficulty with when fighting Luigi.

When tech chasing, predicting and using that speed to get in and out of your opponent, there would seemingly be no reason to not hit your opponent away then pursue with that speed and chasing ability even more. It’s simple, easy and if you’re smart enough, happens plenty because you can predict enough. Just play like a Falcon would because he can. The only problem is that Luigi needs to have more of these than a Falcon would.

- Yet other times, when that wall of attacks that link together effortlessly and hard hitting rapid moves come into play when playing defensive or edge guarding, that speed in and out isn’t necessarily the end all of Luigi.

Luigi can create that area around him like many high pressure close range based characters, yet he has the speed to pressure in and out like those close range characters lack.

The modern Luigi doesn't fully incorporate both into their game as one, only ever consecutively. What I’d like to promote, hopefully to reawaken the Luigi metagame and bring it away from pure reliance on prediction, punishment and pursuit, is the concept of using both of these qualities at once. Something I’ve yet to see from average Luigi's, ever. Probably because it is the most illogical and bizarre thing for a veteran smasher to do as it's not something any character can actually do. Yet it would work in bringing Luigi in competitive play more in the right direction, away from punish, more into pressure.

:) ^ (minor changes : March 11)

Punishing Over Pressure
- Something that's discussed often about other characters is how to punish things. Jab resets or other situations like that. If someone has a free hit, it would be inefficient to punish with a move that hits hard when it won't finish off the opponent. Especially when there are ways of setting up for that move fairly easily.

That being said, it's not uncommon to see a Luigi chase with something that hits someone away then straight grabs or utilts. No other characters best, quick punishing move is a move that directly kills an opponent or sets up a killing move in a single hit. Just as well, Luigi's best punishing moves are not the ones that hit his opponents away from him.

This can be seen with the way Luigi's ftilt is so commonly useful as a tech chasing move or approach. Specifically when it has enough knockback to send the opponent tumbling. For the most part, this is a quick punishing move used with his in and out speed and range to capitalize on either a prediction or a missed attack, and it's safe for pursuit as well. Yet often, if this move were to be replaced with something like a grab or utilt, it would continue the applied pressure and potentially lead to that finishing move, only at a more ideal time.

- If you correctly predict anyway, doing something that doesn't end the pressure would be more beneficial.

It often feels natural to hit so you can chase more instead of applying pressure the way you normally would in that situation had you not been in the process of chasing to get there. There is no use in hitting your opponent away more when you could keep applying pressure and set up the edgeguard after dealing more damage in control all the same.

There is nothing wrong with having a set up for an attack and not using the attack so you can pressure more. Often this is even more beneficial. Luigi has the close range pressure game to stay spaced and attacking without knocking his opponent away. Even though hitting with that big attack to set up chases seems so obvious as it's easy and works with good reads and his speed.

- The precision punishment game is something that takes a long time to develop and it hasn't developed for Luigi almost at all over the last year with the lack of players working on it. Without an excessive abundance of Luigi's, this is reasonable, but that doesn't mean Luigi can't keep excelling in the metagame.

It's essentially just the precision game of how to punish an opponent. Using the ideal move for that situation at the ideal time. When an opponent isn't going to lose a stock or even be in a horrible position after an aerial, and you set one up, it doesn't mean you have to do it. Punishing an opponent with the most punishing move isn't always ideal. Keeping the pressure on is often more beneficial.

Now to put it all together!

With his speed allowing him to react and punish so well, and with good predicting that goes along with it, the abililty to chase and punish isn't a problem. So sacrificing a garaunteed hit to add more pressure and damage shouldn't be a problem.

The only reason this isn't done is because it's more difficult to chase with pressure with weaker hits rather than chase to punish with heavier hits. Especially with Luigi's awkwardness, though that's no reason not to. The only reason it isn't seen more among Luigi's is because they've become good enough at reading to make up for it.
Add this and Luigi will be on the right track once again

End Note : No matter how good you get at predicting, reading and reacting with Luigi's chasing and approaching game, utilizing the right moves at the right time is half the punishment game. Today's Luigi's use the first part to the best of their ability, but much of what Luigi can do is rejected for the easier, garaunteed hits that don't benefit him as much. Don't save the great pressure, spacing, close range aggressive game Luigi has for when you need it. Use it when you want to, it's worth chasing with it. This part of the Luigi game has much room to grow.

I hope that’s clear for now, as I find it difficult to explain.
It will be clearer by the end of this.

Luigi VS Captain Falcon
(Part 2 : The Match Up)

There are always a few key things to each match up. Things to take note of are :

1) - What they can do to you : Aerial Superiority

2) - What you can do to stop them : Staying Grounded

3) - What you can do to them : Close Pressuring

4) - What they can do to stop you : Hard Punishment

As far as fighting a Falcon goes, these are the things tend to be the difference makers.

Summary :
Falcon has devastating aerials so Luigi needs to avoid them as much as possible. To do this, he has to stay on the ground where he can move to avoid and shield them when needed. Up close, Falcon doesn't have many options but to get away, and that's where Luigi likes to be. So Luigi needs to get up close often and safely, but if his pressure ever faulters, Falcon can punish him incredibly well.

How It All Plays Out

Falcon's Knee is really good against Luigi, it's good against everyone really. So are his other aerials for similar reasons. It’s quite safe for him to use the Knee directly on Luigi’s shield since he can’t be punish for it as Luigi slides away. But whatever you do, don’t get hit by it. You will have to shield plenty since it will come your way inevitably.

One of the main priorities is avoiding direct hits by shielding his aerials as much as you can or moving out of the way. If you get grabbed or hit by anything, the main priority for a Falcon will be to somehow lead a string of attacks together to get you airborne and land a knee to finish or set up an edgeguard. Falcon can do this out of any other aerial as well as grabs. Avoid them as much as possible.

Falcon will be using his speed to keep his distance and try to puncture your defences with his aerials when he sees fit. Keep moving and use your own speed to keep up. He doesn’t have many options up close so that’s where you want to be. Nullify his dashing with your own speed and range so he’s forced to go in the air or be on the defensive. He can move in and out more rapidly at a medium distance, but you can stay with him and up close if you chase him.

Be patient and smart when chasing him. Don’t aimlessly attack or stand still attacking from far away, you will get kneed or something similar. His punish game is too good to be unnecessarily risky. You’re safe if you’re not being attacked, so if you might get hit, get out and get back in on the offensive.

Luigi should have an easier time getting in and out than Falcon. When Falcon approaches or chases, he needs to use the attack and get out or rish another aerial or grab attempt, where Luigi can approach and apply some pressure accordingly and safely before getting back out.

- Falcon’s counterattack against Luigi’s pressure and approach is much of what this comes down to.

When Falcon gets just out of range and has that moment to dash or jump into grabs and aerials, that’s when the momentum shifts. This is a fast match up of speed and movement so keep moving when you’re not attacking. Stay offensive or get out of there, Falcon will be doing the same.

There is no reason to get hit if it’s even slightly avoidable, so either be on the offensive or far away. It’s not hard to stay offensive up close but if he gets away from your pressure, even the tiniest bit, move a great distance away from where you were or towards him to keep the pressure. There is a risk of being hit if he is at that middle distance from you during your aggressiveness, so back away and avoid the counterattack.

Don’t go in the air, pretty much ever. Just like using an attack far away while standing still or unsafely approaching, he’s fast enough to knee you out of the air whenever you jump with his far superior aerial mobility. Your speed is all on the ground and you need that. He’ll be in the air plenty with aerials so be ready with your shield and moving out of the way.

Bait his aerials with your shield or to see how he reacts to you approaching, shielding is generally safe as you can get out quickly if things look bad. Because of your need to shield against him so much, he may grab if you over shield. If you’re ever in a position where you might get grabbed while you’re in your shield and he doesn’t counter your approach with an aerial, wave dash away and start again.

- That’s where prediction game comes in for these two characters. He’ll be doing the same.

The exceptions to going in the air are certain platform situations and comboing him. Stay mobile as a moving target as it's much more difficult for him to hit, counterattack and grab. With your superior range and close range game, and with his great mobility, you’ll need to be fast to get into position to pressure him like you need. Only when pressuring him are aerials worth trying directly on him.

Don’t be afraid to grab him when you can get him to play defensively or in a defensive position. Jabbing his shield and using that valuable close range pressure game with tilts and mixups will force him into his shield if he can’t run away quickly enough. Aerials may be fine when you’re pressuring him, but use them sparingly as it can leave openings for him to escape. Still, the risk of using your great aerials is often worth a try.

- Again, it comes down to predicting your opponent. That’s the general motion and the ideals of the characters in a match.

The Mental Play Against Falcon​
- This essentially just goes back to predicting each others approaches and what move you’ll use on each other in the process. Though it goes beyond that and it’s not easily explained, I will try to clarify the common basics of it.

When pressuring a Falcon or being pressured by one, or just being up close, the aerials are the main concern. Spot dodging expecting a grab and the Falcon short hopping a knee instead is never a good thing. In general, spot dodging in this match up isn’t a good idea. Though it can save you from grabs, you can do a decent job evading grabs with your speed and shielding when about to be hit by aerials.

When you approach, Falcon has a few options. It’s very dependant on what situation you’re in regarding the stage, damage and current motions, but these are the simple triggers.

1) - Shield
In this case, you’ve established yourself as offensive when approaching. The player is assuming that you’ll make a good aggressive initial approach and is immediately on the defensive, either ready to jump away or counter with a quick aerial.

This is where you could either grab, jump and try to predict their movements to aerial punish them, jab or tilt to pressure more or simply go around or behind them and wait for them to react, which is actually quite good as they don’t have many safe options from this position. Try to predict what they’ll do, whether it’s dodge, wave dash, jump, roll or stay in their shield and punish accordingly. Meanwhile, applying pressure as you see fit to get them to react the way you want.

2) - Jump
Usually this will be a full jump to avoid any high attacks as well. In this case, the player is expecting and predicting that approach to be an immediate attack and plans to counter it with their own or get away. Be ready to shield or get away yourself.

With this, your best options will be to get out quickly, stay in your shield if the aerial will hit you before you can move, or try to challenge it, which isn’t usually a good options but has its moments. If you have enough speed or time, often you’ll be able to counter the Falcon for jumping. It can be tricky but very potentially good. The best choice would be to move out again, as Falcon creates that medium space where his aerials are safe and you’re not comfortably close.

3) - Attack
Whether it’s a quick aerial like a Knee or Nair, or a tilt, smash or grab. They’re trying to punish your approach, predicting you to come in attacking and trade or beat your approach with their own. This is often when you can’t take many more hits or you’re playing too aggressive.

With more damage, playing safer with shield approaches and fake approaches are a much better choice. Trading with something like a smash or Knee is never favourable, especially if you could be in a bad position afterwards. Try to predict when they’re going to counter you this way and be ready to shield or move away before it. It’s risky by them but if you don’t avoid it, it’s worth their trying.

When Falcon is approaching you, there are only two things to be concerned about.

1) - Aerials

2) - Grab.

Seldom will a Falcon attack with anything else.

If Falcon jumps to approach, shield if he’s coming towards you. Chances are he’ll be planning to aerial you after baiting something like a tilt from you to counter his approach. Don’t get hit with aerials, main priority. The best way to beat his aerials is to shield.

- Knee may be safe on your shield for him, but it’s safe for you if you shield it too.

If Falcon jumps again after not using an aerial as he sees you shield or predicts a counter with a utilt or something, move out of the way. If you have the chance, back away and try to counter him out of his double jump. Falcon without his jump is an easy target but you have to be quick and have enough time to do it, so be ready for it. If you don’t have time to move, shield the aerial, then move.

If Falcon has a chance to dash in front of you and he doesn’t use an aerial right away, there are a few good options both of you have. Either wave dash away to get away from that medium space and approach him again instead, or wave dash towards him and attack with what you see fit.

Falcon is most likely going to go for a grab or see how you react. Usually they’re trying to bait something like a spot dodge, roll, aerial, standing attack or hoping for you to hold your shield and wait there. All so they can punish with an aerial or grab depending what you do.

Often, the best choice is to put up your shield to bait him and wave dash immediately into something one way or the other. If they’re actually waiting for your reaction and they do try to punish it, you’ll either hit them first or be long gone and can approach them or wait for them to react and try to predict their reaction to missing you.

The other approach option Falcon will frequently use is approaching with his Shield. It has the same purpose as you would for that approach, to bait something out. If he does this and you counter with an attack, you could get punish badly for it. That's why the best counter to his approach is moving away or shielding yourself if he doesn't jump. Hopefully if he's approaching this way, you're moving through him with an attack to the other side or backing away.

- Again, always move great distances to be close or far, not this dangerous middle distance from him.

If he ends up in front of you with his shield and you don't fall for the bait, he still might try to use an aerial or something out of it. Counter that accordingly. If he's safe and smart and wave dashes out and runs, be ready to chase him. Often, if he's in his shield and you're a fair distance away, it's best to get to him as fast as possible and start applying pressure.

- Counter his approach with an approach if he fakes an approach or uses a defensive approach.

Common Choices​
- Be aware of what the Falcon usually does after he approaches you, after he escapes your pressure, after you escape his pressure and after you approach him.

Take note of his next choices. If he runs away after escaping your approach and pressure the first time, he may do it again. This is quite common as it's Falcon's best choice when being pressured up close. In which case, if you think he’ll run the next time he's evading pressure, wave dash in his direction and continue attacking or your way with the continuous pressure. If he sees you do that once, pay attention to if he does it again or if he tries to fake the run and counterattack and so on.

Always be aware of the choices a Falcon makes in terms of movement after the close range battles. That goes for every character but with Falcon, the close range battles are usually brief as he tries to run, and he can run easily against most of the cast. If you predict his running, you're able to keep up and pressure unlike anyone else because of your speed.

1) - If they’re being aggressive, be ready to punish them for it if they miss an attack, or be ready to shield.

2) - If they’re being evasive, try to predict their evasion and chase to keep the pressure on.

3) - If they’re being defensive, try to pressure and get that damage up, as that’s your chance to control the match.

Pay attention to their choices. Prediction game is the biggest part of this match up. Both in movements and in moves. If they run once, take note of that and see if they do again, then play accordingly. If they counterattack once, do the same and play accordingly.

- The better player will win this match up if they both play it correctly.

End Note : Avoid getting hit when at all possible. Use your shield whenever you’re in danger of being hit and keep moving so you’re a difficult target to hit. Approach cautiously and when you get close, stay aggressive and spaced. When Falcon gets some room, don’t stand still as he’ll start moving again immediately. Either follow all the way through or back away completely. Bait and avoid his counterattacks, stay grounded and use your speed to stay with him and away from him at will. Watch the way he moves between close range battles and try to predict his choices on how he deals with your approach and how he approaches you. Play offensive, when ou can't, shield and get away.

*Side Note : Playing as Falcon would dramatically help any player in this game due to the prediction and punishment game that comes with him. Though Falcon has much more of a punishment based game with no close range options, he still teaches to capitalize on predictions with his speed the way Luigi does. This could alter the way you play Luigi into trying to punish every chase with those stock ending hits that Luigi doesn’t quite have. As long as you can transfer the punishment into utilizing your close range pressure game instead, Falcon makes an ideal secondary for playing Luigi.

As well, using Falcon’s actual moves aren’t at all comparable to the way you would use Luigi’s. They share many things and playing Falcon would make you a better player, but it’s best to get good at the game technically before picking up Falcon to understand his use towards practising in benefit of playing Luigi. Their application and use of moves are almost direct oposites otherwise.

Learning Luigi : Lesson 3

Stage Control + Samus
(Part 1 : Establishing Your Game)

Controlling the middle of the stage is a huge part of the game. When on the ledge or near it, you want to get to the middle, when they’re in the middle, you want to get them out and off the stage.

Often, the edge of the stage is the safest place to be. When someone comes back from a stock, using the temporary safety of the ledge is the easiest and most effective way to evade them when you can’t fight back. Though when you get a chance, getting stage control back is the main priority. Getting away from the edge and getting on stage to safety.
Then begins the process of getting the opponent off the stage once again.

- There are extremes to this stage presence. One form of stage control is the mobile and outside type. Containing and zoning almost.

Examples :
On one end, it’s the characters like Falcon, who have little for close range a love to move. The more they can move, the better off they are. To do this, Falcon will always cover a lot of area, moving out of that centre stage area. Though he can contain an opponent in an area or limit their options with his speed.

Characters like Fox love their mobility with platforms and they can force opponents to come to them. Sitting on the side of a stage isn’t a bad place to be if they’re only there for a moment and it forces their opponent to move out of the middle to get to them. Fox also can’t take many hits before he’s in danger and lacks the range to stay in a small area and compete with most other characters for too long.

Things like this also give an edge to Luigi. He has that mobility to grab the ledge and get half way across the stage during invincibility frames and then his shield. Being on the edge isn’t even a concern as he can get anywhere as quick as anyone in the game. That being said, it’s easier to be hit off the stage when near the edge, and being off the stage can be devastating to Luigi.
That’s where understanding how to control the stage comes into play significantly.

- Not only does Luigi have that mobility to always be in a safe area on the stage, he has range, speed and power no matter where his opponent is on the stage as well.

Creating A Barrier

- The other form of stage control is barricading a fortress and using that to control the most important space on the stage for that match.

Examples :
It would be silly to wavedash towards a Peach and ftilt as a first move in a match. Either the Peach will crouch and hit you back harder, or she’ll float out of the way and counter punish Luigi for it. Her moves are exceptionally fast in all areas and she has power and diversity behind them. The things she lacks are long range speed and mobility. However, she doesn’t need that with short distance burst speed and rapid moves. She can zone well and has control of an area around her no matter where she is.
This gives her that impenetrable barrier around her at all times, using that is the only way she can control where her opponent is.

Opposite to a Falcon or Fox, it's another aspect that gives her a form of stage control. Other characters have the same features in both of these categories and to different extents in different ways. Some have mixtures of the two.

Example :
Falco has a decent barrier close range, but it’s limited, and he has minor control over the entire stage with lasers and decent speed. Though his mobility is lacking, he can get in and out just fine and makes the opponent move to make up for it. His stage control comes from all areas.

- This has a lot to do with positioning and will be covered later.

One of the best stage controlling characters is Samus. That’s literally all she has, nothing else. She lacks approach, her best offence is getting people away from her and her best defence is used when others are attacking. So going into the middle of the stage and creating a barrier, then moving close to the opponent so their within range of her barrier, is the best possible procedure to her play.

- With a good shield and options from shielding, wave dashing, quick ranged attacks and being heavy, she can't be moved easily. Much like many other characters in the way they gain stage control, but Samus is the best at it as it's all she can do.

To do this, Samus can use her range and short range burst speed to actually cover great areas without moving much. Forcing the opponent to always move greater distances. She’s difficult to attack directly because of her ability to back away and hit from out of range so quickly and often or simply punish anything that misses or is misplaced. She is one of few characters who can simply walk towards the middle of the stage and be safe the whole way with her defensive options all available.

Before a Samus can do this casually, it’s important to create the barrier, and even more important to make the barrier known. Faking openings and punishing the opponent is a great way of doing this. Another way is to be safely aggressive in short bursts. Keeping the needed distance and putting pressure on then backing up essentially establishes that in close quarters, your opponent will get hit.
When it is established that you can deal damage to your opponent whenever they be offensive, your opponent will stay out of your barrier. Then, from there, you can have the stage presence and control the space you want.

Hugs And Patient Establishment

Needless to say, Hugs as a great Samus player creates incredible stage control. Through defensive options and using burst speed to gain the needed distance for using his range in close combat, most opponents convert to playing from the outside, trying to get in. This is the main objective when looking for stage control.
You have to establish control of yourself and your area.

To handle pressure and counter offense with your own in return is a patient process and takes experience, but it’s the most effective way to establish yourself. At every level, the opponent will hesitate to attempt a similar tactic or decision if they're uncertain if it will back fire. This is usually an actual decision made by a player in game, but often this can be a subconscious decision from discomfort.

If your opponent is uncomfortable facing you on a move for move basis, they will keep their distance from you and try to get in and out as frequently and briefly as possible. Though in doing this, they’re simultaneously giving you freedom and control of your space, which is what you want. In turn, you can move this controlled space wherever you want it to be. Usually the best place to be is on stage, near the middle, getting closer to them.

A lot of patience is needed to fully establish yourself every match. As some opponents may find ways through the barrier and it often takes a lot of safe and adaptive defending to get the control needed. Being consistent with this is potentially the most difficult part.

Hugs demonstrates consistently that patience and adapting defensively is an effective way to establish yourself in every match up against every player. An effective way to get quick control of a stage is to play aggressively in bursts to begin a match. Before stage control, habits or anything regarding the thought processes of a match come into play, getting quick control through attacking and backing away repeatedly can make your opponent give you stage control before they understand why you have it.

When a player is in danger of getting hit, they play with a certain purpose. When a player is in danger of getting hit by something that could finish their stock, they play with another purpose. This is consistent throughout the game. and it applies at every level, not just among weaker players or the best players. When in danger and knowing that you will hit them accordingly if they come into your controlled space, you can have complete control over that space. By being patient and not panicking to get that hit, you won’t lose your presence on the stage.

This is the most important part of establishing yourself. With proper application of spacing and speed with defensive and pressuring options, you can have control of your opponent, even if you don’t move at all for moments at a time. This can be seen throughout this game, whether it’s Mango dashing near a shielding opponent or Cactuar standing near the edge when the opponent grabs it.

Note : Control yourself and you control the stage. Control the stage and you control your opponent.

How It Applies To Luigi

- Very similar to Samus, Luigi has range and speed up close. Their actual moves can be used for similar purposes and they can control the stage in a similar way. There are a couple major difference between their stage control

1) - Luigi can use great distances to his advantage.

2) - Samus can punish a larger variety of approaches.

Lacking options out of Luigi's shield and sliding away when getting hit is something that's overlooked and is literally a great and bizarre advantage. Though he can't UpB from his shield casually against an overly aggressive opponent at any point or position and still be effective like Samus can, he can't be punished for shielding with anything more than sliding away. Taking into account that being at a distance doesn't do Luigi any harm, this is quite beneficial more often than not. He wouldn't be punishing significantly if he didn't slide anyway.

A lot of Samus's movements are used to trigger the opponents reaction. Dashing or wave dashing into and out of shields while throwing out the necissary ranged and quick attacks for intermidiate pressure is what makes people unsafe near her and attempt attacking her. As desired, this can result in them attacking her shield or simply missing, being hit for their attempt either way.

As Luigi moves from across the stage towards an opponent, it's essentially the same effect. When you can establish yourself in close areas as a danger using your range and speed, combined with the way you can be beside them at any moment, you can control the space between you and your opponent. Controlling this controls the stage.

When approaching or backing away in general, the reactions will vary. Shielding will be common if you're using tilts and jabs when moving into their space, or rather, moving them into your space. In which case, just like the way Hugs, when establishing himself offensively, will set up grab opportunities, among other things.

- Your opponent has to react as your approach, or they will be in your space, and they know you control your space.

Upon this reaction, if you're established, they will be defensive. What comes with this is the fact that you'll be approaching, which means they will attempt to counterattack. Just like a Samus will back away or punish their counter because her approach is completely used for bait, pressure and nothing more than stage control, Luigi can do the same. It's all part of controlling the stage and is often the changing factor in a game.

- Approaching to control the space is just as effective as approaching to take their controlled space away.

Using Luigi's speed to establish yourself is a great way to accomplish control of your opponent. He can move across the stage and stop at any point into a lethal aerial, or cover the entire floor with a tilt to push the opponent off the stage or combo into something else. With everything at his disposal as if he was standing in front of the opponent, but at the safe distance across the stage, you can make your precense on the stage felt at all times.

This is just like the way a Falcon controls the stage, always a threat from any distance. With Luigi being a close range threat as well, Luigi is literally always a threat.

Due to this type of control, your opponent will attempt counterattacking you, as that's their best option. Whether it's throwing out a ranged and strong attack or moving plenty to avoid your approach. This is where your defensive pressure and controlled space in close combat comes into play.

Luigi can approach with shield without any negative effects. The only possible downside is that you might miss an opportunity to attack them if they shield as you approach that way. Most characters can't do much of anything out of grabs on Luigi and it's difficult to grab a target that's moving fast.

- As well, it would be risky and not worth the attempt by anyone to try grabbing Luigi out of his approach with such a barrier of ranged and quick options with power behind them, given that Luigi can use this in his approach at any time.

To get the full potential out of Luigi's control game, both the approach and barrier have to be established. One takes patience and precision, the other takes prediction and pressuring. When approaching, being aggressive is priority, then following this initial approach with the solidified range and speed in close combat gives the opponent few options. These are to conterattack or get away. Both of which are easily negated with a simple shield.

Luigi can take a hit and slide away, or take a hit and wave dash away. This also enables him to chase with pressure if they decide simply to evade instead of counter. When evading, they may expect the chase and counter then, shield is safe once again. Never forget, you can shield simply to be safe, and if they don't attack, you can still follow easily.

End Note : Use your range and speed up close to control the area around you. Be patient and defensive as you can be safe and force your opponent to react as you cover great amounts of the stage with little movement. At the same time, you can move great distances easily to control the space on stage at any moment. Applying pressure with speed establishes you being a threat at all times. Applying pressure close up establishes your space and makes you a threat when near.
The application of both enables absolute stage control.

Be patient and safe, there is no reason to force things as you can have control over your opponent simply by making it known that you have the options. Always keep in mind, Luigi can move quickly while still being completely protected by his shield. You're nearly unpunishable in your shield and approaching with it is safe. Your opponent will be expecting pressure as you approach and will be attempting to counterattack so it can save you. Also, your opponent seeing you approach this way after pressure may tempt them into other, riskier decisions as they know they can't counterattack you as easily.

Luigi VS Samus
Part 2 : The Match Up

Vist

Smash Champion
LOL jk man

That is a serious wall of text! O_O I'll have to give it a good read sometime and put in my 2 cents when I have some energy lol

Pakman edit: DON'T POST PICS THAT CENSOR DODGE :mad:

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Good stuff in there. I like the emphasis on theory and intelligence rather than specific situations and moves. I am interested in reading more.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
thegreatkazoo: I'll cover as many characters as it takes to cover every aspect of this game. I have no idea when that'll end but there will be plenty hopefully.

If you ever want me to cover something in particular, just let me know. I'd gladly share my thoughts on the topic. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Is it all clear enough? Seems like a lot and kind of messy.

Edit: I'll try cleaning it up after a few more updates, but I'm not sure where to begin. :laugh:

Editedit: Yeah, I'll start highlighting things and so on next update. Samus can wait. :\

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I haven't read this yet but I most certainly will. If nothing else you definitely deserve and A+ for effort, thanks for such a good contribution to the luigi boards.

dragnet4000

Smash Apprentice
I really needed that falcon help... i get 3-4 stocked every time i played him before i read this, now i break even or win... CONTINUE WITH THE CHARACTERS PLZ

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
No you shouldn't, but there is an option where you can link text to different points on your post iirc.

Ask Pakman about it and he should be able to point you in the right direction.

Jumble

Smash Apprentice
This is a VERY good read. It's long and messy so you need to clean it but it's really good!

Everyone needs to read this, just because it's so good!

Bamesy

Smash Ace
Outside of Sticky threads, and 'Dated' threads, (like "Zenith tournament is coming up" and "Stop acting like Luigi is irrelevant") this thread is among the most viewed in the first few pages of threads.
It's a little old (2010), but I suppose it's not something that becomes irrelevant or 'dated' in terms of content, but do people still read this? It's not exactly a thread to be commented on (might as well be an article or post, or something in another thread) but if it's still looked at (AT ALL) is there really reason to update it?
Even a nice cleaning job could do wonders for making this more presentable and clear, but only if it will actually benefit someone.
Otherwise, it's not terrible as it is, but if even furthering the content of this thread would be beneficial, then it could be done too.

I'll check back sooner than in a few months to see how the view-count has changed in a short time (after the 'bump' wave of views at least), and if enough people are interested in this type of "Smash Talk/Read" then just let me know via here and/or private message.

Keep doing awesome, smash community. :)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I haven't read this yet but I most certainly will. If nothing else you definitely deserve and A+ for effort, thanks for such a good contribution to the luigi boards.
I am such a ****ing liar. Oh wait. I never said WHEN I'd read it. LOL

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
Outside of Sticky threads, and 'Dated' threads, (like "Zenith tournament is coming up" and "Stop acting like Luigi is irrelevant")
I'll check back sooner than in a few months to see how the view-count has changed in a short time (after the 'bump' wave of views at least), and if enough people are interested in this type of "Smash Talk/Read" then just let me know via here and/or private message.

Keep doing awesome, smash community. :)
I would be interested in it.

Thanks for posting this. The Falcon match-up advice has helped me out so much. It's one of my favorite match-ups now!

If you're doing a "Smash Talk/Read" thread, I would like to read more about strategy for Luigi's movement.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
Well here's something....

This is a copy-paste from a site called "Smashmods" that was for Project: M
It was specifically for that game, but this is stuff that applies quite universally to all of smash.

Figured since I went into the mountains and never finished my thread expeditions, and basically disappeared from the Smash world for ages, that I should at least offer this in my (continuing) absence.

Hope it helps... or something...
Enjoy!

[size=x-large][align=center]Development Acceleration Thread : Smash[/align][/size]

[size=large]Introduction[/size]

[sblock]
I figured I’d take some time to do something for the forum community. I’m not sure how helpful it will be, but if even 1 person gets something out of these threads, I’m satisfied and it was worth it. If this helps a lot of people a bit, then that’s just extra awesomeness.

So if you think there’s anything I’ve missed that might help someone, or if there’s something I cover that isn’t needed, let me know. I simply want these threads to be the most helpful they can be to players at all levels and from all positions with the game.

Given my leet writing skills, my leet smash skills, and my leet coaching and teaching skills, I have an interesting set of successful credentials and unique insights. So I feel like it’s my duty to give something like this to the community. The source of all this is everyone else, both for my insights and the development of my own abilities to play and teach this game, so I can simply provide the beacon for this to come through on a broader scale beyond my in-person encounters.
[/sblock]

[size=large]Purpose[/size]

[sblock]
These threads are to provide a form of guide series aimed towards increasing the rate at both learning characters from the beginning, and improving with them indefinitely.

There will be no charts regarding move collision effects or frame data in these threads. Nothing about character match-up comparisons or stage counter-picking lists. This isn’t for or from statistics or data in any way. Those concepts and details can be discussed and mentioned elsewhere on the character forums unless brought up in discussion here at some point, but won’t be in the opening post unless necessary to describe other concepts.

Both direct-crossed Melee characters and from-scratch PM characters will be presented the same way in their respected threads, and discussed the same.

Many players new to smash or coming from Brawl are not familiar with Melee characters and could use this as a means of catching up to what those characters are bringing to PM completely, or what technical fundamentals in the game have been developed so far.

Veteran Melee players can either use this as a tool to touch up on their game or as a refreshment for going over what they already know. It could simply be a chance of relearning what they may have forgotten or have just not given enough attention to before.

Character Threads

The Melee characters will likely be in more depth, and will provide an example of the depth hoped for when the PM characters are completed. As well, there is something new that every character is getting from the PM general game itself, and the Melee game is ever-changing so there is always something new to learn for even advanced and knowledgeable players.

There are many branches of the same tree, regarding all levels of play. At a top level, there could be several players at the peak of their games, all with similar results and successes, but all getting to that point and sustaining themselves there in completely different ways. This comes from the many perceptions and walks of life regarding a player growing with the game, and yet it all leads in a generally similar direction. Not only does this factor into an individuals current styles or efforts, but it goes as far to be the reason of why there’s a meta-game at all. Everyone is growing, and climbing the same mountain. These threads will be aimed to direct people up the mountain side, no matter what path they’re taking.
DAT Series

This series will attempt to cover everything that a player will inevitably learn about the game competitively. All that a player will benefit from on their personal path to learning a character and the game their own way. The series is meant to go into specifics of application and understanding about everything each character can do, but on a universal level that will aid in simply pointing out ideas utilizing the tools a player will find in the character, and overall smash learning process at all levels.

Almost all of what’s covered in a specific character thread applies in some way to all other characters, so all threads will be useful no matter what character you play or how you play them. I’m simply going to cover the central parts that have the greatest significance to the character that each thread is directed to. Reading all threads could be beneficial to all characters, but only the focal point of the character will be covered in each.
[/sblock]

[size=large]
Credits and Contributions[/size]

[sblock]
None of the content in these threads can be credited to me directly. It’s all because of the players involved in the creation of Project M since its beginning, all of the players involved in the development of the play for each Smash game, along with every players’ commitment and contributions to the community for the last decade and more, and the community as a whole. As well as any players that add to the discussion and content of these guides themselves.

If anyone has interest in other characters or can contribute towards the other threads as well, they’re linked here. Please contribute everything you can, as I am by no means capable of innovating, remembering and wording everything possible that would fit in these guides. At least at an efficient rate anyway. Thanks.

Big thanks already to many people specifically, I'll be updating this eventually with links to more useful threads.
[/sblock]

[size=large]Character Specific Threads.
[/size]
[sblock]
(I'll be hard-core updating each of these now that this thread is here. Falcon and Wolf need to be more specific and I didn't go into enough technical detail, Wario is too confusing and I shouldn't have tried to directly explain a new perspective, and Mario I can describe much more precisely)

Falcon : http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4483.html
Wario : http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4484.html
Mario : http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4485.html
Wolf : http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4486.html
[/sblock]

[size=xx-large]DAT Smash[/size]

This is the only thread in the series that isn’t Character Specific.
It’s dedicated to the universal processes of learning the game, which apply to all characters.

[size=x-large]Developing Faculties[/size]
[sblock]
There will be two main topics generally covered that should fulfill most of what these threads are for.

[size=large]Technical Faculties[/size]
These cover everything from difficult but necessary muscle memory requirements, to the diverse application of simpler and easier actions that are all very essential.

+
[size=large]
Mental Faculties[/size]

These cover all the things to watch for throughout the course of your smash life relating to your interactions with your opponents and how to manage yourself accordingly.

Faculty Development will be the core of these guides.
To develop as a player with any character, you first must gain access to all the tools you’ll need to do so, on both a technical and mental level. Your ability to consciously and accurately perform the actions you intend to do is a branch of littered stepping stones along the path to becoming the best you can be with that character and in this game. There will always be room for these to grow, but these must come first, at least to some extent, before you can apply your own creative uniqueness and inventive play to the fullest.

A lot of these will vary from player to player based off preference, style, habit, and the centre of commitment, though it is encouraged to both new and old players to continuously insure that they are natural options and as comfortable to perform when asked upon at any and all times.

For Newer players, it’s a basic outline or collection of options in directions they may want to take their game. Basically things they will find along the way while learning.

For Older players, it’s for further development in the game, either to reinforce what is solid or to finally bring something into their game that they’ve been missing.
[/sblock]
Key Points
[sblock]
Before any specifics on playing the game itself, there are many factors that come into play.
The way someone approaches the game initially and continuously on a mental level has a significant impact on their position within the game, the community, and their own development with it.

To start, here are a few quick pointers that can be looked back to at any time. These are notes for all players, whether they’re involved with the game to some degree or just getting established in it. For players finding a creative spark, inspiration or success, and just as much for players getting stuck, bored or frustrated. Hopefully these will provide help at most times.
[/sblock]
[size=large]Point 1
[/size]
[sblock]
To improve means to become different towards what is better. To become different means to change. Therefore, improving is only possible through changing.

It’s an overlooked universal truth, in a way, and often avoided because changing implies the risk of becoming worse and can usually feel uncomfortable, at least at first. Though the idea is simple if you can get around that discomfort. In that, if the change is making you worse off but you see the potential, stick with it. Where if it’s not showing any signs of possibility, change it again. If a change brings improvement, keep it until you see otherwise. There are times and areas of uncertainty for everything, but it takes your own efforts in every way to grow and get passed these. Ask others, use your own experience, intellect and intuition together, all as best you can.

There is no moment that passes in which you can’t get something from, no matter how great or minor. If you feel flustered in any way because you can’t find some way to improve at the time, or are moving slower than preferred, that idea and sense alone is what you’ve taken from the moment, and that counts for more than you may think. It may just have less immediate observable improvement compared to potential at the time.

Use your mind as a mirror, reject nothing, grasp at nothing, receive but do not keep.[/sblock]
[size=large]
Point 2[/size]
[sblock]
Have fun. Do what you have fun doing, and make fun in doing whatever you’re doing. Fun isn’t an objective thing you can find and attain, it’s how you yourself are perceiving and enjoying whatever you’ve attained or are attaining.

If you’re losing a lot of matches to players you don’t want to lose to, find enjoyment in searching for ways to beat them rather than focus on the stocks at the end of the matches themselves. If you have no players to play that can give you a challenge and you want more, learn to teach them how to beat you and that will help you more than anything else.

What you take from a match means more than what happens in the match itself. When the match is over, the match no longer matters, only the matches ahead. The matches ahead will only be affected by what the now non-existent match has left you with, here and now. So try not to concern yourself in hindering ways with how good or bad you’ve done or how good or bad you were. It literally is neither here nor there. Work with what your current situation has to offer you, as that’s the best you can do, and the best you can do is what’s best for you.

It’s often overlooked that teaching can be the best way to learn, so learn to fall back on that.[/sblock]
[size=large]
Point 3[/size]
[sblock]
If you want to make something a part of your game, that means you have to actually take a part of your time, effort and attention, and put it there. Just as you make this game a part of your life by taking time to do so.

Much, if not all, of what can be shared with you is stuff you would eventually learn on your own. All a teaching or helping hand is, is an opportunity for you to possibly skip the trial and error phase by learning what is shown. You are the one that learns, something cannot be taught to you and produce results. Take everything as an opportunity, no matter what the source, as there is either merit behind it somewhere, or mis-guidance that is left up to you to assist.

Every win, loss, reading or conversation is an opportunity, much of it you may know, much of it you may not. This means it takes your own effort to practice on your own, as well as being open and asking questions if someone else may think or do something a certain way. A community that communicates will thrive, collectivity is necessary to improve both personally and as a group. Remember, everyone is in this together, but that takes participation with others as well as on your own time to bring yourself to where you want to be. Wherever your attention is, is all that matters to you, all else is secondary. If you don’t give it full attention when it catches your attention, it will take longer and more work than you should need to give it.

Commit yourself fully to what you want to work on until you get it, so you can move on quickly.
[/sblock]

[size=large]Summary
[/size]

[sblock]With all of that, it comes down to quite a simple combo.
Awareness and Intent.
Do whatever you’re doing with the proper intentions, and be aware enough to catch yourself when you fall out of line with those intentions. That’s all there is to it.

The tricky parts of this come when either awareness or intent is lacking, but it has to start somewhere. Some things will be clear immediately along all parts of the path when you’re learning the game, but this comes into play before even picking the game up.

An example would be this. Play this game to get as good as you can at it, rather than to get better than others at it.
There is a difference there, and it makes all the difference. From the quality of community around you, to the rates you and others with you are improving, to the rate the game is developing as a whole.
This applies to all earlier points and all later points, in this thread series and beyond smash itself.

As long as your intention and awareness is in the right place, and you’re following that through, you’ll excel exactly as best you can, as well as everyone around you because of you, and that’s best for everyone.
At the very roots of that, begin by intending to become aware of your intentions. Then on to intending to find the proper intentions, whatever those may be within your current awareness of them.

That in itself breeds a healthy and efficient smash development life, wherever you are within it.
[/sblock]

[size=x-large]Technical Faculties[/size]
[sblock]
Every character has an abundance of technical tools and utilities specific to them. For those not covered here, check the specific character threads.

Here is a listing of all general Smash technical manoeuvres that play a significant role in the overall game. For each character, these play different roles and have different significance, but they are tools that all characters can use to some degree in some part of their game.
[size=large]
Covering[/size]
(Will update)
(Please notify me/correct me if something is inaccurate or requires a better description. I had to search to see if C-Stick DI was still in the game, and there are some things I'm still uncertain of, like Shield Dropping[?])

Ground Mobility
- Dash Dance
- Jump Cancel + Crouch Cancel
- Dash > Grab + Up Smash + Air Dodge + Shield
- Pivot + Dash Turnaround
- Wave Dash + Wave Land (Ledge / Platform)
- Shield Drop + Moonwalk + Dash Cancelled Up Smash / Grab
Air Mobility
- Jump Momentum + Short Hop + Full Jump + Fast Fall
- Wall Jump + Ledge Cancel + Lag Cancel + Foot Stool
Defensive Mobility
- Directional Influence + Smash DI + Teching (In Place + Roll + Wall)
- Shield + Power Shield + Spot Dodge + Roll Dodge + Air Dodge
[/sblock]

[size=large]Ground Mobility[/size]
[sblock]
This will cover the core part of movement in the game for all characters. It’s the technique base that’s key in the transitional game, from the neutral game to approaching or evading.

The Dash Dance is at the root of this, but the Dash Dance game is not limited to the basic DD. To DD does not mean to run back and forth repeatedly in and out of range. That’s at its simplest form and only the starting block.

To DD means to be able to control your exact position on the ground at all times, accurately and instantly. Whether it’s short bursts of movement between two point, long fluid movement over a great distance with many directional changes, or any other variation of ground covering movements with full control.

For this, the dash game includes the basic DD, but also involves everything from going for Grabs, Shielding, Wave Dashing, Pivoting, and more situational tools like Moon Walking or Dash Turn-Arounds, and even using Aerials or empty jumps in the mix.

What the end goal of practising the dash game or neutral game implies, is that those options are in fluidity and motion, never faltering when you’re in a tight spot or have free space. Every action among all of those options offensively or defensively is the Dash Dance game, when not on offense or defence, it’s the foundation of the neutral game.

Each of these has to be fluent and easy with no unintentional spaces between. The accuracy will come with time, but if any of the ground mobility options aren’t comfortable or are still weak and being worked on, then there is work to do there with technical practice. The intent is to have as close to perfect accuracy with your movements as you can. So as long as you’re working towards this when a lack of it somewhere in you game catches your attention, then you’re on your way.
[/sblock]

Dash Dancing
[sblock]
Dash Dancing is the act of Dashing in one direction, followed by Dashing in the complete opposite direction before leaving the initial Dash animation. It’s covers a fairly short distance for the most part, but is extremely quick and a very direct way to control your positioning within a small area without really going anyway.

The initial Dash animation ends when you go into the full Dash animation, which is the Dashing animation that a character will be performing when they continue in a single direction for a long time. The initial Dash can be cancelled with another Dash in the other direction, this is the Dash Dance.
[/sblock]
Crouch Cancel
[sblock]
When Dashing beyond the initial Dash Dance, there are other ways of significantly and accurately changing your directional movement.

Once the full Dash animation has started, you can stop by simply not holding the direction anymore. You will slide to a stop with a stopping animation. Quicker than this, meaning more efficient and accurate to control where you stop and start, because it takes less time, is to cancel this animation with a Crouch Cancel. This is the act of briefly holding down long enough to Crouch out of the Dash. From the Crouch Cancel, your mobility options fully open again from a neutral animation, quicker than any other method when simply wanting to stop in place during a Dash.

Crouch Cancelling Attacks is the action of absorbing hits without going into a state of tumble or hit-stun from them. It’s essentially a way to ground yourself to incoming damage a little more than simply Standing in place would. It leaves you in a Crouching position, without moving position, while taking damage. Crawling is the action of moving horizontally along the ground from a Crouching position. It’s very limited among characters, but Crouch Cancelling works during it as well.
[/sblock]
Jump Cancel
[sblock]
The other options out of a Dash are most Special Attacks, Grab, Shield, Dash Attack, Up Smash and Jump.

When performing any version of a grounded Jump, there is a startup time before a character leaves the ground. This can be Jump Cancelled by doing certain actions during this startup animation. While the character is still grounded, but in the process of Jumping, you can perform most Special Attacks, Grab, Up Smash and Air Dodge.

Other actions can be cancelled with a Jump, such as Shielding and some Special Attacks. Therefore, these actions can be Jump Cancelled as well, just like Dashing.

Jump Cancel Grab

When using a Dash Grab, there are different properties to it then a Standing Grab.
To perform a Standing Grab while Dashing, simply Jump Cancel it. This will perform the Standing Grab out of your Dash instead of a Dash Grab. While Dashing, Jump before Grabbing, and Grab before leaving the ground. The properties of a Standing Grab can often be preferred over directly Dash Grabbing.

Other moves out of a Dash act similarly to their Standing versions anyway, but Jump Cancelling may bring other properties to them instead.
[/sblock]
Wave Dash + Wave Land
[sblock]
Wave Dashing and Wave Landing are the actions of sliding along the ground in either direction while coming in contact with the ground. It’s just landing from a neutral falling position, but in horizontal motion immediately upon contacting the ground.

This is performed with an Air Dodge into the ground at an angle. This brings you downwards to come in contact with the ground, while still horizontally enough to slide from the momentum of the Air Dodge.

Wave Landing is when this is done upon landing. Whether becoming level to a grounded surface below or beside you, or passing through a platform from underneath. You can Air Dodge into any grounded surface at an angle to do this. This will also make you slide directly off the edge of the grounded surface if you’re Wave Landing in the direction off the edge.
Wave Dashing is when it’s done out of a Jump Cancel. Before leaving the ground, Air Dodging into the ground this way will have the same properties as doing it from an airborne state. Jump Cancels being possible from out of Shields, Dashes and anything that can be cancelled with a Jump, means that Wave Dashing is also possible from these options. Wave Dashing out of Shields, Dashes and so on plays a large role in the applications of control over the ground mobility game.
[/sblock]
Pivot + Dash Turn-Around
[sblock]
There are a couple ways to turn around effectively while Dashing, both from the initial Dash animation and full Dash animation. This leaves many options open to you when moving away from or towards a location. Whether it’s to move away from an opponent to act from a distance, or move towards them but have them behind you when performing the intended action.

When Dash Dancing, there is an instance in the process of turning around that leaves a character in the neutral Standing animation. Pivoting is simply using an action out of this specific position. If you Dash in one direction, then Dash Dance the other, the instance where you can Pivot is immediately as you change directions from one Dash to the other.

All actions from a Pivot will have no horizontal momentum and are performed with you facing the direction you were moving away from. An example, Pivoting a Grab will perform a Standing Grab facing the direction you came from, not in the direction you were going.

Naturally this implies that longer range actions are ideal to cover the space you covered when moving away, but all actions from this position have their use. Every action is available during Pivots, it’s just an instance of your neutral position. Meaning Pivots allow you to perform anything you normally would from a standing position, anywhere, at any time, if it’s within your Dash Dancing distance.

A Dash Turn-Around is when turning around during the full Dash. After covering a distance greater than the Dash Dance, turning around will leave you sliding with your back facing the direction you’re going. You can Jump and Grab from this sliding position. A Turn-Around Grab has different properties than both a Dash Grab and a Standing Grab, and a Turn-Around Jump can keep your Dash Jump momentum while facing backwards, this also means you can Jump Cancel all Jump Cancellable actions facing backwards.
[/sblock]
Other
[sblock]
Moon Walking is the action of sliding backwards and gives the same results as a Dash Turn-Around Jump but from the Dash Dance. It’s performed by Dashing, and during the initial Dash animation, sliding your directional input to a Crouch, before going the opposite direction. The input to perform this is very much something that just needs to be felt.
Dash Attack Cancelling is the action of keeping the momentum from a Dash Attack while doing another action. The beginning of a Dash Attack can be Jump Cancelled, which can extend the range of an Up Smash or Grab by sliding into them with Dash Attack momentum. The input is very quick and offers only what the specific character Dash Attacks have in momentum.

If momentum is kept when Shielding, Jumping from your Shield will keep that momentum when you go into the air the way a Dash Jump would keep it. It can performed by Wave Dashing into your Shield and Jumping out when still sliding. There might not be a current name for this in the community and only can take effect if the input is before the sliding stops.

Shield Dropping is the action of Dropping through a Platform from your Shield, without Dropping your Shield beforehand. It’s performed by quickly rolling your directional input from the direction you’re facing, to downwards. This is a faster method of Dropping through Platforms at all other times as well. Again, the inputs for this action are really something that has to be felt.

Interruptible Frames, abbreviated with Interruptible As Soon As, are frames on moves that can be cancelled at an earlier time than the move is complete. This varies a lot on all moves but is essentially. When a move ends is different from when you can end the move. Since you can move at this time, the Interruptible Frames period, without waiting for the animation of the move to end, it plays a key role in use for a lot of moves.
[/sblock]
Air Mobility - Jump Momentum
[sblock]
There are more options for directional control and speed on the ground than in the air, but there are several mobility options in the air itself that are complimented by mobility options that start from the ground.

A couple simple directional control options are the options between Full Jumps and Short Hops, which give every character two separate jump heights from a grounded position. After a Dash, these jumps will have more momentum behind them horizontally, doing a Dash Jump. Both can be performed out of Dash Turn-Arounds, Shields and from any other Jump Cancellable actions.

Double Jumps are the Jumps a character can perform while already airborne. Double Jumps have different properties than a characters Grounded Jumps. This, combined with the horizontal directional control from simply moving in one direction or another while airborne, can combine to plenty of aerial mobility while already in the air.

Fast Falling, which is the act of tapping downwards to simply fall faster, accelerates your Fall Speed to its fastest, as quickly as possible. This can only be done when beginning downward momentum. Otherwise, you will slowly accelerate towards your greatest Fall Speed over a greater period of time. All factors that come into play while falling greatly differ for every character.
[/sblock]
Air Game
[sblock]
Every actionless position when moving downwards in the air has a section that can Sweet-Spot ledges. Grabbing ledges can’t be done while in action, with exceptions. At the peak of every Jump, there is a certain height that can grab the ledge when downward momentum begins. The peak of this height is the Sweet-Spot for grabbing it. It’s the highest point that grabbing a ledge is possible out of that Jump. The same applies to all other actions.

Wall Jumping can be performed out of a neutral aerial position by inputting the direction away from a Wall when alongside one. It is limited to certain characters in this neutral aerial state, but all can perform a Wall Jump off a Tech. Wall Clinging is more character limited, but it’s the action of holding a position along the wall without jumping off immediately, performed by holding towards the wall directionally.

Ledge Cancel

Ledge Cancelling is when performing an action in the air while you come in contact with a grounded surface, but in such a way that your momentum will send you off the ledge of that surface area. The aerial action will be cancel by coming in contact with the ground, but not going into a landing animation because you’re in the process of becoming airborne instantly again.

The Ledge Cancel happens with the Teetering animation when Standing on the ledge of a surface. Since the Ledge Cancel cancels the aerial action with this Grounded animation, you can perform any grounded action in this time as well, before leaving the ledge with your momentum.
[/sblock]
Other
[sblock]
The Tumble animation is the state you go into after hit-stun has decayed and you remain in the air. Any action except Air Dodging can be performed while falling in this state, with a few exceptions. The get out of this state without doing any action, directionally input quick horizontal motions in both directions. This will neutralize your falling state.

Fall State is the state a character goes into after performing certain Special Moves or an Air Dodge. No actions can be performed out of this state, but Ledge Cancelling and Ledge Grabbing are still possible.

Lag Cancel is simply cancelling the lag after an Aerial Attack. While performing an aerial while coming in contact with a grounded surface, there is a certain amount of lag-time upon landing. This is different for all Aerial Attacks from all characters, but all of these can be Lag Cancelled. Lag Cancelling is performed by inputting a Shield upon landing, and it divides the lag-time of all aerial attacks by half. There are other specific methods of cancelling lag, such as Ledge Cancelling, where Lag Cancelling isn’t needed or won’t have effect if performed. There is a Flash when it’s successful.

A Foot Stool is performed by Up Taunting when in contact and above an opponent while you’re in the air. This causes the Foot Stooled character to go into a brief fall in a Tumble, and makes your character Jump off their heads with an extra Jump. This can be performed a few times before needing to reset the Foot Stool jumps by touching the ground, and each jump of the series shortens vertically for you.
[/sblock]
Defensive Mobility
[sblock]
Move around, Shield, and then stuff if that stuff doesn't work...
[/sblock]

Directional Influence
[sblock]
DI is the core and base of what your defensive options are when you’re hit. When you do get hit by any attack in a way that it sends you somewhere, no matter how far it’s sending you, you have Directional Influence over your trajectory. The control over the general direction your going based on which direction your trajectory will be.

When you get hit, immediately input the direction you want to lean towards. You won’t go directly in that trajectory, but you will influence your trajectory closer to that route. This won’t extend or decrease how far you go at the base of the hits knock-back, but it can change the angle you’re being sent with that knock-back. Every hit you take can be influenced in some way by your very basic directional inputs. This has to be input while being hit, not after you’re on route.

Naturally, you want to influence your direction in a way that benefits you and doesn’t help your opponent. Whether it’s to survive a heavy attack that would otherwise finish your stock, or to avoid an opponents combo leading into something that can put you in a worse position. Every time you get hit, you can do this, so there’s never a reason to not intentionally influence the outcome in a way that you prefer. The basic DI can be applied to Throws, but there are specifics to DI that only apply to Attacks.
[/sblock]
Smash Directional Influence
[sblock]
SDI is inputting multiple Directional Influence inputs within the frames of being hit. It won’t effect your trajectory greatly, but it will reposition you when taking the hit. SDI simply influences the position of your character after you’ve been hit, but still during hit-lag. You can only perform this during the time you are in hit-lag. In other words, where you are frozen momentarily while being hit, you can slightly alter the position you'll be in before you are sent flying.

The same input concept for SDI helps with multiple hitting attacks, but in a different way. When you’re hit, you can input a direction to influence the outcome of the attacks trajectory, when hit by multiple hits, inputting multiples of this will influence it to a greater extent than only inputting the DI once. If you input the DI multiple times, you’ll SDI out of the many hits to escape the attack entirely, or at least to some extent.

Automatic Smash DI occurs the frame after the attack's hit-lag ends. The character will move in the direction you're holding once you begin the trajectory. ASDI may be inputted either with the control stick or the C-Stick, but if both are being held when hit-lag ends, the direction in which the C-Stick is being held out prioritizes the Control Stick.

A tactic that utilizes both the Control Stick and the C-Stick is called Double Stick DI, which involves pointing both the Control Stick and the C-Stick in two different directions so the player can alter the trajectory with the Control Stick while using the C-Stick to control the ASDI in a different direction from the direction being held on the Control Stick.

A very efficient way to input SDI or ASDI fully is to do quarter circles with the directional inputs. This will trigger many DI inputs during the short amount of time you’re being hit. C-Stick DI can be used to override your final trajectory input if you want to SDI in a direction that you don’t want to ASDI.
[/sblock]
Teching

[sblock]
When in a Tumble state and coming into contact with any surface, wall, ceiling or ground, a Tech can be performed. This is done by inputting the Shield button right before connecting with the surface.

Teching off a wall can be done to stop all momentum, or into a Wall-Jump, which all characters can do even if they can’t naturally Wall Jump otherwise. Teching into the ground leaves the options of going Left, Right or staying in place. These options, mixed with missed Techs, are your options when hitting the ground both from falling in Tumble and being hit into the surfaces.
[/sblock]
Shield

[sblock]
Before you get hit, this is what can stomp it. When all else fails, you’re on the ground and a hit you can’t avoid with any form of evasion is coming, and maybe you don’t want to have to DI or Tech anytime soon, Shield.

As covered in the Grounded Mobility section, Shielding can be performed almost any time you’re on the ground, while in action of almost every grounded mobility option. As well, you can perform all the Jump Cancel options out of it, such as Wave Dashing out of your Shield.

Shields take damage over time and damage from hits, making them smaller and less covering. After a Shield has taken enough damage, it will need time to restore itself or it will break and you’ll go into a very long stunned state. You can move Shields directionally to change your coverage slightly.

Rolling is the action of Dodging horizontally on the ground. Shielding and Smashing a direction sideways will cause a Roll, while Smashing downwards will cause a Spot-Dodge. Both have some invincibility, differ between all characters, and work as a variety of evasion tools. Each of these can be performed from your Shield, but aren’t limited to that.

Power Shielding is performed by Shielding immediately as an attack would come in contact with your shield, not putting your Shield up before it’s in contact. This will reduce the amount of time it takes for you to drop your Shield after shielding the hit. It will reflect projectiles and won’t take any Shield Damage. Just like Lag Cancelling, there is a Flash when it occurs.
[/sblock]
Other
[sblock]
Some downward hitting attacks are Meteor Attacks and they can be Meteor Cancelled. This is the action of jumping out of the Tumble when hit by certain downward spiking attacks. After a few frames travelling downwards from a Meteor Attack, you can cancel the trajectory with a jump, and this is the Meteor Cancel.

Most Attacks have Sweet-Spots on them. This is determined by when and where the Attack connects on the opponent. The Sweet-Spot is where the Attack is most potent. Usually this means there is a section of time or space with the Attack that hits hard, deals more damage or has different properties than other parts of the Attack. The Sweet-Spot is different for all Attacks, with location and both with initial timing and their timed duration.

Buffering actions can be down by using the Shield and inputting actions with the C-Stick. When performing an action, before the action is over, hold the Shield button and a direction on the C-Stick. You will perform the evasive manoeuver option you would perform out of your Shield directionally, but it will do this on the earliest frame possible after the previous action leading into it. If holding up, you will perform a Jump, if down, a Spot-Dodge, if horizontally, a Roll in that direction.

For more information on these Technical Tools, visit the Project M Wiki
(I would’ve loved knowing this existed before typing all of this.)
[/sblock]

[size=x-large]Purpose[/size]
[sblock]
Each of these mobility tools should become so fluent and comfortable to the point that you don’t have to think about them when trying to perform them. Meaning it needs to be effortless to do when the moment arises in an instance spontaneously in a match. Make these as easy to you as anything else you’re comfortable with, so they’re natural options. When every tool in the game is at your disposal so naturally that you have no longer have concern for it, you can begin to work on the part of your development game that truly matters. You, yourself, rather than the mechanics holding you back from what you can do.

As long as you’re fighting with the functions of the game itself, you’ll continue to be held back by them, but this is a small piece of your actual game as it has nothing to do with you and your personal playing. It’s only building blocks. These come with time, so the quicker you no longer have to focus on them, the quicker you can begin to work on you, which is the only thing that means anything to your own end-game.

These functions shouldn’t be of any concern as something that’s holding you back, as it has nothing to do with you in the game. If you know you’re hindered by them at the moment, take notes that you need to put some work into them sometime. You can still work on your own game without these the way you would if you had these options.

When the blocks need to be put in place, then put the work in. Otherwise, this isn’t a priority to pay attention to when learning the game while actually playing the game. Just keep working with them when you’re working on your own actual game-play decision making and smash abilities, they will come inevitably if you keep it up and take time for them elsewhere.
[/sblock]

The no-sugar-coating TL;RD

[sblock]All of these things are trivial, completely.
The technical side of the game is nearly meaningless towards your improvement as a player, player meaning as a person within the community and playtime of the game. So don’t be frustrated by it at any time, and don’t be too joyful for mastering it, that’s child’s play masking the real personal growth as a player. In other words, what matters is what you can do with these, not whether you can do them or not.

It’s good and all, but it’s very minor in significance towards any development you as yourself will get out of this game. Sit down and work on each of them until they’re functional for you, the better you are at them, the better, but it’s such a small part of the game and it will pass inevitably with time.

There’s a direct reason for this and direct relation from this. A good direct example of why this is, is how when you get something new to play with, then the real fun begins with it. The better you get at the game technically, the more fun the mental side of the game will be because you’ll have more new things to play with. Getting the new things is fun, but once you’ve removed one of the many sets of training wheels, this includes any knowledge of the game from match-ups to the statistics of your tools, then the real work and fun begins.

In the meantime, the technical side should be a fun process, so have fun on your path to getting these down. That’s the whole purpose of the end result anyway. Fun, whether it’s fun through improving, winning, or whatever, have fun.
[/sblock]

[size=x-large]Mental Faculties[/size] [sblock](Coming Later, I have like billions of pages of things to shuffle through and 15 pages of writing from other places I need to compact)

These will be some of the topics.

- Establishing Yourself
- Building Ideal Environment
- In-Game > Habits + Adapting + Momentum
- In-Game > Pressure + Spacing + Precision
- In-Game > Patience + Aggression + Hesitation
- Match-Ups
- Perspective
- Practice
- Fun

[/sblock]

Top Bottom