• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PAL .pac converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
I think that this would be awesome to have, and the thing is I know it can be done. Since the only thing that needs to be converted are the sound effects, and it's always the same number which should change to the same other number. SFX's are also always followed by the same floating point, so all you need to do is make a program that tracks the floating point saying "SFX:" in psa, and then have a dictionary for which SFXs should be changed to which. This is the hard part, making that dictionary. However: I am ready to take on that task. Now:

First off: I need a programmer to help me out, I'm not much of a programmer myself. However, if the completion of this project forces me to become one, then I shall.
Second: If someone could help me collect the SFX data, that would help a lot. I know a lot of .pacs have been converted by hand before, has anyone got any data saved?
Third: Suggestions. Anything that might help is welcome!

With this done, a lot of projects will reach a much larger ammount of players and I believe that lies in everyone's interest. If you can help out, even the slightest, please do so. All help is needed!

Thanks on beforehand, from Rkey.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I should make a .pac diff tool.

Okay guise, get me a zip of all of the PAL moveset .pacs arranged like they would be on the disc.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
I should make a .pac diff tool.

Okay guise, get me a zip of all of the PAL moveset .pacs arranged like they would be on the disc.
Do you mean something which shows all the differences between the ntsc and pal .pacs?

Cyan_Blau

Smash Apprentice
One frase in the france revolution: "egalite"

It would be useful if PAL users ask me about getting an NTSC version of SSBB.

Maybe I can help ^^!

(For real I'm also a european guy [Germany] and bought a US version on the store ^^")

Almas

Smash Lord
No, he wants a set of the .pal pacs as they come. Then he'll write a program which scans both the .pal and .ntsc pacs, highlighting all differences between them.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
So yeah. All I need to do now is redump the above file, then create a DB of NTSC SFX ID's ->PAL ID's, then I can convert NTSC Brawl+ to PAL in one motion!

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
o.O

Are you serious? Is it possible to do this to other sets of .pacs? Is it possible to make a program that does this automatically?

Thanks for all your help so far guys! I wish I could do more than just start a thread, I'm currently on vacation so I can't do shi-

You guys are awesome so far, thanks a lot!

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Ill update this post with the progress.

Step 1: Run PacDiff on all the fighters, building a DB of SFX ID changes needed.
Step 2: Create program that takes a pac, and makes all the SFX changes NTSC->PAL and PAL->NTSC
Step 3: Convert current Brawl+ pac's to PAL
Step 4. ....
Step 5: Profit?

Currently on step 1.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Whenever Dantarion posts, I get the funny feeling that humanity is winning. I don't know what, but it can't be a bad thing.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I have no idea why we didn't do this sooner. Not anybody in specific, but that nobody truly brought it up.

Dantarion, you're awesome. :)

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I have no idea why we didn't do this sooner. Not anybody in specific, but that nobody truly brought it up.

Dantarion, you're awesome. :)
I dont know why I didn't do this earlier either. I wrote it in literally one sitting, and turns out it works for vBrawl->Brawl+ changes as well,

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Yesssss.

YESSSSSS.

<3.

And BPC we don't edit fighter.pac. We edit a replica of fighter.pac that sits in Wii memory. So we can't really port memory.

And common3 should be able to be done too

Dantarion

Smash Champion
common3 is more complex, as I have to compare the different nodes in the file (Think BrawlBox), then I have to compare all the movesets, (Think OpenSA).

Basically, its gonna be a pain.

Also, theres only like 2 or 3 edits to common3, so exporting the changed files and comparing those is better than trying to edit the entire thing.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Dantarion, could you make it possible to use this on more .pacs than the brawl+ .pacs? I'm currentlu in the brawl- project and we would like to do the same thing.

<3
<3
<3
<3
<3

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Dantarion, PAL version has different voices for some characters (Announcer, Lucario and Pokemon Trainer I think).
Maybe this info will be helpful :)

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I already know all the changes.
I have to:
1) Build a database of all the SFX changes
2) Write a app that uses this database to convert from NTSC->PAL and vice versa (And supports command line for you batchers)
3) Release it.

Between life, school, friends, Captain Rainbow Translation Project, Brawl+, and all my various Brawl Hacking things.....im kinda busy, to the point where something that takes 10 minutes may not get worked on due to....not having 10 minutes i want to spend coding.

DVDV28

Smash Apprentice
OH MY GOODNESS

YOU WIN

But seriously, could you release it in .txt format or is that getting my hopes too high?

EDIT: Just realised that you posted that 3 days ago: any results?

Rkey

Smash Journeyman

Dantarion, Dantarion, you're our man!
You can do it, yes you can!

There's some motivation, come on Dantarion! Everyone really wants this to happen, and I'm still serious about that present :3 Nothing weird, I promise.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
LOLOLOLOL

I just ran into some IRL stuff, I should have this done soon.

Also, this app will be very important, at least to me. THIS WILL BE THE FIRST OPENSA2 BASED APP THAT CAN EDIT A MOVESET.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
THIS WILL BE THE FIRST OPENSA2 BASED APP THAT CAN EDIT A MOVESET.
i want this really badly now, even moreso than before

Could Brawl+ be made first though?
It's going to work for ALL pacs. It's a program.

Oh and dant... Back in the day, Sonic- had a rapidfire homing attack that would keep homing until it missed. It worked on NTSC Brawl just fine... But on PAL it froze. So I suspect there to be more differences than just sfx.

:mad:

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Oh and dant... Back in the day, Sonic- had a rapidfire homing attack that would keep homing until it missed. It worked on NTSC Brawl just fine... But on PAL it froze. So I suspect there to be more differences than just sfx.

:mad:
Can't we just ignore that for now? If we can get the SFX-converting to work, a LOT of worktime for MANY people will be reduced to mere minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom