• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Because I care, reflections on Tier list 4.0

Browny

Smash Hater
Link to original post: [drupal=3126]Because I care[/drupal]

quality is bad coz its a jpeg full Q version is here
http://i47.tinypic.com/2ev6gwm.png

But what prompted me to put the characters in these positions? I put a bit more thought into this than might be instantly recogniseable :) Based on my thoughts of what the tier list should look like, future trends for 5.0 and the motives which may or may not have been what caused the tier list to change for each character.

Metaknight: #1 Disputed tactic of the last season seemed only a fitting place to place Metaknight, the keep out sign a dig at a possible pro-ban bias within the SBR to keep him in his own tier :p

Snake: With Diddy, one of a few characters I beleive capable of reaching the impossibly high top tier which seems to be getting further and further as MK becomes more threatening than ever.
Diddy: Boosting off wario as the next hype character of the tier list, he just didnt reach it, and judging by his trajectory, hes going to fall a bit come next list once people learn to play against him more.
IC's: DDD's arguable worst matchup, potentially rendering DDD non-viable, only fitting that a chaingrabber (and falco too lol) is the one to knock him off top tier.
Wario: Feeling the pain from this tier list drop, taking a nasty fall with diddy overtaking his spot.
Falco: Falco doesnt like marth, seeing as marth can CG-spike him lol and as one of falcos only real dangerous matchups, hes happy to turn the tables and apply some ledge pressure to marth, a scene of much disaster for falcos at the hand of marth in the past.
Marth: Refuses to ever be in the same tier as G&W again, but seems to be a little out of his league amongst the company of diddy and snake if you ask me when we consider likely candidates to ever challenge MK in his own tier.

DDD: Takes the fall like a man... penguin... thing. Its gonna be difficult for him to ever recover back to that top tier with the current company guarding the ladder.
Pikachu: Pikachu is having fun in high tier, enjoying it while it lasts. I dont believe it will be too much longer before he sees a drop so he can have his fun now :)
Lucario: Going Super Saiyan 2 in this tier list, hes just charging up and hasnt shown his true power yet! Pikachu is in his sights.
Olimar: Olimar is quite content staying where he is, but is surprised at a massive 2 tier drop by kirby.
G&W: Likes to blame marth for all his problems (despite the fact that marth isnt exactly overplayed enough to keep him from doing well >_>) so he will do what he can and plank as if its the only option he has left, which is seeming that way if the current G&W 'metagame' is ever brought up in the tier discussion thread lol.

Pit: Apparently if Pit merely planks with uair and arrows in super theory bros. brawl without ever having to actually dominate with it in a real match it will give him a +4 boost in the tier list. He has no reason to change tactics now.
TL: Hes having fun staying where he is, enjoying the company and not too much pressure is on him to perform well to keep his spot.
ZSS: Because having a footstool infinite on a currently non-viable character isnt enough to get to high tier lol.
ROB: Footstools were a major concern for ROB's these last 8 months and he isnt quite sure what hes done to deserve this sort of a drop (neither am I lol)
Kirby: Hiding in his stone form, hoping the carnage surrounding his A to C tier drop is over
Ha. Seems fitting that no one in particular is making Kirby fall...everyone underestimates him, and we really dropped the ball on his metagame...
Wolf: Can't let you be mid tier Star Fox! What more needs to be said? If theres something Fox wants to do, be it brew some coffee, do a barrel roll or get into C tier with some respectable tournament performances recently, wolf will have none of it.
Fox: He just cant seem to find a way to get to C tier.
Peach/DK/Luigi: These poor characters appear to be doomed to mid-tier forever. DK taking some big names recently, Peach putting the theory into practice with great results and luigi with his predicted backroll-upb just dont seem to be enough to get them out of this hole they dont deserve to be in imo :)

Sheik: Sheik just wants someone to help her up... A top player to put all her theorycraft into practice and show what she can do. She took a shortcut getting this close to D tier, choosing a different route from the normal method of placing well in tournaments.
Sonic: Taking a break for the first time in his life, wondering what he did wrong. Hes saved up years of time over the years, hes got time to formulate a new strategy, didnt exactly think about where a spring isnt a one-way trip or not last time :)
Ness: In his air release animation, signifying his escape from the trauma that has kept him far too low in the tier list for almost 2 years. Hes quite happy of being away from lucas for the first time ever, he knows hes always belonged here.
Bowser: Upb oos is the answer to all of bowsers problems apparently, he can sit here all day until the next update and escape the scathing criticism the tier discussion thread throws at him regularly.
Squirtle: In his first act as a now mid-tier character above Ike, he wants revenge for all the grab-release traumas he has suffered from Ike, doing it the best way he knows how :)

Ike: So close to getting out of low tier but just missing out, he knows low tier events are going to serve him very well.
Jigglypuff/Yoshi: *don't know whats going on around them, but are happy to still be playable characters*
Mario: Seems to have forgotten which way is up. With such a aerial combo-oriented playstyle and a claim of low lag attacks, it seemed only fitting he is seen in his landing lag animation of uair.
Lucas: Is scared that Ness has left him all alone in low tier, he doesnt seem to have any motivation to get up and even try and be repped in tournaments anymore.
Samus: The old guardian of bottom tier, keeping light out of ganons lair for over 8 months, is distracted enough by Lucas's crying that...
Falcon: FALCON SNEAK's his way out of bottom tier somehow, hes lucky there was so much craziness going on around him to allow this to happen.

Ganon: Over a year after exacting his revenge on Link for trapping him in the shadow realm in Oot, the Triforce is now his for the taking with Zelda joining him in the pit (which burns).
Zelda: Taken by surprise to depths Ganondorf is so familiar with. She didnt exactly put up much of a fight though if her tournament representation is anything to go by.
Link: Links just sitting there, hes given up hope and is tired of trying to recover. Respectable tournament results just dont seem to cut it, hes lost for ideas.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I love DJB's Tier list toons. :3

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
OP this tier list isnt accurate

Inu needs to be below scrooging MK

Browny

Smash Hater
As per usual I assume too much, my initial character comments were far too vague and didnt convey my opinions well at all. So I edited the OP and added my proper thoughts for all the characters. I encourage people to re-read them all as I did put a lot of thought into this than may be instantly recogniseable.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Ha. Seems fitting that no one in particular is making Kirby fall...everyone underestimates him, and we really dropped the ball on his metagame...

Browny

Smash Hater
PT? squirtle aint the only one there
When people think of PT, they think of squirtle. Theres no question he is considered the best of the 3 by most people and really Ivy and Charizard have next to no influence on the game at this point in time. I didnt exactly have room to put all 3 too so I think it makes enough sense :/

Interesting... I didnt actually think of that lol it makes perfect sense! Ill add it to the OP

Browny

Smash Hater
I did put like 5x the effort into this one lol. I feel kind of lucky that so many things happened to characters which made sense. Like if ness/falco/kirby/ddd all stayed where they were and dk/peach/luigi moved a little bit I would have had nothing to say about them.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm curious D, where did you get all the characters from?

Did you take the photos yourself...?

Death01

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mahuwah
3DS FC
3282-4075-7165
lol this is good stuff. :D :D :D :) :D :) nice really.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
This looks like a preview of the new game, The Legend of Zelda: Curse of the Bottom Tier. D:

Aside from that, I'm sure that in due time, Mario will be aerial-comboing to a higher position. Perhaps with a near-foolproof way to jablock? :O

Top Bottom