• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Shield Smash DI

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
so Yaz, GangstaKirby, and I were all playing brawl minus the other day and gkirbz and yaz were doin some one on one falcon vs d3 when gkirbz powershielded d3's gaydiculous inhale, desperate to get out of it and its godly shieldstun he started mashing all sorts of things including the c-stick, and he actually moved while shielded... and not just alil but alot, enough to get out of d3's inhale... after some testing we found it to be the C-stick, which we later tested this InShieldSmashDI on bowsers flame breath in regular brawl... and it worked, the captain falcon slowly sliding out of fire range damage free

so credit goes to gangstakirby for discovering IPSSDI/ISSDI and hopefully this gets put to good use and changes the defensive game of brawl
This has been bought up a few times but we've never looked into it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It works just like normal SDI, except you do so while in shieldlag and you can't SDI upward (for obvious reasons). Oh, and you can't SDI from a powershield, since powershielding negates shieldlag.

J4pu

Smash Champion
It works just like normal SDI, except you do so while in shieldlag and you can't SDI upward (for obvious reasons). Oh, and you can't SDI from a powershield, since powershielding negates shieldlag.
just to clarify, you mean that the shieldlag from PS'ing isn't able to be used for this right? not that PS'ing has no shieldlag, because iirc, that's all it has.
if not someone needs to explain shieldlag (which I'm assuming means shield-hit-lag and not the lag it takes to drop shield or any such thing) to me

solecalibur

Smash Master
Get hit by halberd's charged gun while sheilding and Shield smash DI (it works), Ive been using it every so often during matches

Limeee

Smash Champion
ugh, if this is real, it could make brawl even more campier. Please don't look into it, for the sake of keeping our game alive.

People will just sit in their shields all day and punish everything

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure there's shieldlag on power shielding. It might be reduced by I'm sure that there's still shieldstun.

Had anyone else seen that Brawl- video that showed Ganon using that crazy warlock punch and getting it powershielded, which caused him to fly back and die, but because of the insane amount of shield stun he could come back to life, jump back down, and follow up while the opponent was still in shield stun?

J4pu

Smash Champion
really? then i have no idea

@table, shield stun and shield lag are different things, although at the moment I'm kind of confused on what they are exactly so I can't explain

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Shieldlag is identical to hitlag, except you're in a shield when it happens. Your animation is literally frozen, you can SDI, and you can't buffer anything. Shieldstun is when you're in shield, after shield damage is applied, and it wavers. You can't SDI, or perform any actions for that matter, but you can buffer inputs. I suppose there is a little bit of shieldlag from powershielding, but it's severely reduced. It may not even be "true" shield lag, just like I don't treat Marth's tippers or Zelda's Lightning Heels as "true" hitlag..

The best example of shieldstun, which is not affected by powershielding, is in this Brawl- clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6P2oxe_szo#t=3m25s

J4pu

Smash Champion
I guess i had the effects of PS'ing mixed up then, I always thought it caused massive hitlag and little/no shieldstun (what the shielder feels, refer to melee for an actually visible example) while preserving the shield-hit-stun (what the attacker gets)

so what it really does then is uhhh, increase shieldstun time and increased shield-hit-stun time by a lot? and diminish the push by a lot
is that right?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
@Ankoku: Yeah I just remember that they're unrelated when I saw Snake- get his tilts power shielded. He stays in hitlag, while the opponent gets a free follow up because of the insane hitlag.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't even know what you're talking about any more, lol. There's hitstun, hitlag, shieldstun, and shieldlag.

Shielding results in normal shieldlag, followed by sliding while in shieldstun.
Powershielding results in reduced shieldlag, followed by reduced sliding while in shieldstun.

There is no difference for the attacker in terms of hitlag. Hitlag is applied whether the attack hits a person or a shield, and it is equal to the person hit in number of frames, but greater than the number of frames of shieldstun, even normally.

Shieldlag and shieldstun are directly based on the amount of damage that was shielded. Brawl- Ganondorf's Warlock Punch deals 666%, so the effects are hugely exaggerated.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I don't even know what you're talking about any more, lol. There's hitstun, hitlag, shieldstun, and shieldlag.

Shielding results in normal shieldlag, followed by sliding while in shieldstun.
Powershielding results in reduced shieldlag, followed by reduced sliding while in shieldstun.

There is no difference for the attacker in terms of hitlag. Hitlag is applied whether the attack hits a person or a shield, and it is equal to the person hit in number of frames, but greater than the number of frames of shieldstun, even normally.

Shieldlag and shieldstun are directly based on the amount of damage that was shielded. Brawl- Ganondorf's Warlock Punch deals 666%, so the effects are hugely exaggerated.
ok thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding of these mechanics, I have no idea where I pulled those terms from if they don't exist.
from what you said it sounds like the shielder will be stuck in shield less time when they powershield an attack as opposed to shielding it normally, but powershielding things always seems to me to have some kind of increased lag time during it's special animation type thing (which is what I always thought described shieldlag).
am i just wrong?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
ok thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding of these mechanics, I have no idea where I pulled those terms from if they don't exist.
from what you said it sounds like the shielder will be stuck in shield less time when they powershield an attack as opposed to shielding it normally, but powershielding things always seems to me to have some kind of increased lag time during it's special animation type thing (which is what I always thought described shieldlag).
am i just wrong?
I think so, yeah. I noticed no increased lag, but the fact that the "CLANG!" sound lasts longer might cause you to incorrectly perceive a longer shieldlag time.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I am so very very confused
I was talking about Snake being stuck in hitlag. The attacker experiences hitlag, but not the power-shielder. But looking at what I said, I was being kinda vague and unclear :p

EDIT: Ninja'd...

And that is what I get for leaving this tab open for like 2 hours while doing other things and responding just now...

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
just like I don't treat Marth's tippers or Zelda's Lightning Heels as "true" hitlag..
Actually, both Marth's tippers and Zelda's Lightning Kicks have true hitlag in all sense of the word.

However, your ability to SDI during that hitlag is a whopping 0. :\

Think Zelda's Usmash with its hard to SDI hits (0.1), or DK's Up B aerial with its really really ridiculously easy to SDI hits (2.3 iirc).

Still, I find it funny how we're just now paying attention to this, considering that it's been around since Smash 64 (where it was pretty dang important).

Midnight Shadows

Smash Cadet
Would it be possible to shieldgrab somebody from a longer distance than usual by ISSDIng into the attack before grabbing? On a multi hit I mean, like G&W's nair and MK's fair.

J4pu

Smash Champion
would it be possible? depends on a number of other factors than how close you are but this could effectively move you closer if done correctly.

to see for yourself choose Ike on one controller and olimar on the other, throw all non-purple pikmin off the edge, get at least one purple pikmin.
Now move olimar as close as possible to Ike shield one of Ike's Fsmashes normally, after being fully pushed, drop shield and attempt to grab, you can't.
If you correctly ISSDI the Fsmash you can grab afterwards.

It was pretty difficult for me to get multiple inputs in without either spot-dodging (QCDI on Astick rolling downward) or grabbing (also using Cstick)

the physics should be the same for multihit attacks

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
This is all Gkirbz discovery. He discovered this. The applications are 3 things in particular from what we have seen.

1. Shield vs Flamebreath you can SSDI out of way *** quick and punish.
2. AYAYAYAYA(Pit's sideB) same thing.
3. Blizzard. It ***** vs Blizzard. :)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Is this worth doing after a regular hit to get better positioning? Or a single slide really minuscule?

J4pu

Smash Champion
it can be noticeable if you do it right but it won't be like OMFG LUIGI WAVEDASH SDI
try it out for yourself using the 2 characters I advised above.
maybe my reflexes are slow but id have a hard time doing it in-game vs the vast majority of single hit moves

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Can you shield QCDI? Can you shield SDI with both the control stick and c-stick? How do you shield SDI without rolling?
Yes and Yes. Shield smash DI works the same as normal smash DI, in that you can input your smash DI when you get hit. It's just extremely hard to input multiple directions for DI when you get hit in shield.

You can't roll/spotdodge when you're in hitlag. If you roll or spotdodge then you timed it too late.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I hate to be the guy who asks for a demonstration video...
But I am.

I watched all those vids posted in this thread, but if this really is something so applicable, someone who can actually do it should make a vid.

I can barely SDI, so :/

Top Bottom