• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to making THPs (Brawl's Movie Files)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Noob

Easy

Somewhat moderate guide to making THPs

With this being my first guide, I’m not going to (try and) fill you up with useless details, instead, im going to jump right to the point. Our goal here is to make a .thp file, which is the movie file type in Brawl and a few other games. This guide is for developing a standard 29.97 FPS THP, you can make THP’s up to 60FPS I believe, but I’m keeping it simple. There’s not too much complexity behind them like move sets and animating, and there’s not going to be much use for them until the file patch code supports them. Right now, it’s USB/backup only (don’t discuss here). For this, you are going to need a few things.

Common Sense and the ability to read.

THPconv.exe and DSPtool.DLL (in the SDK, no discussion on obtaining it here)

Movie wanting to convert

2 programs: 1 that can remove the audio from the video and 1 that can make Serial JPG’s (first paragraph)

Command Prompt

Step 1: making your movie convertible

In order for THPconv to convert you movie into a THP, you will need to make into Serial JPG’s. It is basically, a whole bunch of JPG files with one representing a frame and labeled accordingly. Here is an example.

Wombo Combo001(.jpg)

Wombo Combo002

Wombo Combo003

Wombo Combo…

Wombo Combo146

Note: you’ll notice that the first one is 001, and the zeros are there because the amount of frames (or jpg’s in this case) is less than 1000. If it had 1000 or more, it would be Wombo Combo0001. That s important because if the frames are mislabeled, the program will not convert.

You will need a program to do this for you though, and the only one I know is Adobe after Effects. If anyone could tell me a freeware that does this, please tell me, because I know for a fact that people will “obtain” after effects like they did with Photoshop during the CSP/+1 ages. Lets avoid that :p.

Now that your program is ready to export several thousand JPG’s from your movie, you should set the destination somewhere close to the root of your harddisk. This will make it easier in the future so lets go create a folder named THP at the root or your harddisk and Save the JPG’s there.

Step 2: Music (optional)

The audio is an optional part of this, but heck, what’s a video without audio? A video. All you have to do here is get a program like audacity, goldwave (betting there are better ones) or a video editor and export JUST THE AUDIO as a .wav. that’s all for the music

Step 3: setting up command prompt

Make sure that all the files required for making the THP are in the THP folder we created earlier. That would be the Serial JPG’s, THPconv, and if your using audio, DSPTool.dll and the .wav. here is the trick part, soget ready. Open up command prompt (or use the Run function and type in CMD) and youll notice it automatically sets its self to C:\Users\Name. We don’t want it like that, and we can’t just point to the THPconv because that won’t work. What you will need to do is type in CD \ and you will notice it takes you to the root of the harddisk. Next you will type CD (insert folder name) and it will make the computer think that the folder is the root (not really, but it wont work unless you do this. If you have a folder within a folder (or didn’t make it on the root….) then you will have to type CD (insert next folder here) until you reach the folder containing THPconv and the Serial JPG’s

Step 4: Making The THP

This is where variables apply from person to person. But im going to attempt to keep it as basic as possible. (unrequired) To begin, if you type in THPconv in the CMD, a whole options list will pop up in the CMD. Most of those are irrelevant and you shouldn’t focus on them until you understand what your doing.(\unrequired)

Your going to start by typing in THPconv –j (JPG serial Name****)

Heres an example. THPconv –j WomboCombo****.jpg

Like I said before, the amount of Stars are dependent on how many frames you have. Just look at the first frame of the Serial JPG and count all the numbers in it. Don’t forget to add .jp to the end and Don’t press enter yet

From there, press space and add –d (file name)

This is what the output THP files will be. In the case of wombo combo, it would be WomboCombo.thp but it can be whatever you want. Just don’t forget the .thp at the end. If your adding music, Don’t press enter just yet, but if your video is going to be boring, then press enter.

Music Time! Press space again and type -S (.wav filename(s))

An example for you. –s Combo.wav

You MUST have DSPtool.DLL for the wav to convert, if not, it will give you an error.

My final script looks like this

C:\THP>THPconv –j WomboCombo****.jpg –d TestingAgain.thp –s Combo.wav

Press enter and it should create a .thp files. If it doesn’t, you may have done something wrong, and if your completely unsure, just post in this topic.

Step 5: Useful things I found with Google AFTER learning how to make THP’s

When I had goggled about THP files, I ran into a few things that would’ve been useful for testing. 1 is the the melee hacking thread. They already knew how to create thp’s, but not with the same type of music. Second, and more importantly, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRxXSCHig7s this is a video on how to play THP files on your PC… and I went through emulation when this was possible…. Something that I did notice is that it doesn’t like some THP’s. it liked Wombo combo, but some videos from brawl and TvC had slight complications, but they still work in game.

Please post if you had any complications at all because i want to make this guide able to be used by anyone.

Videos (of videos?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwHHDi-L0Y

Other info
It should be worth while to mention that the sizes of the .jpgs you are making into the .thp have to be in multiples of 16.

Ex: 16x16, 64x112, 32x32, ect. will work.
1x1, 23x74, 35x16, ect. will not work.

If your X size is off, you'll see:
THP file Version is 1.1000
ERROR: X resolution is not a multiple of 16! THP may not decode correctly
ERROR : Can't convert [Filenamehere] file to THP (2201)
ERROR : Can't write video data (1259)
ERROR : Fail to execute THPUtyCreateTHP().
WARNING : Errors occurred while converting to THP.
Please check for error messages above!

If your Y size is off, you'll see Y instead of X. If both are, you'll see X.
THPconv does not accept frames larger than 672. therefore, make THP's at 640x480 or whatever variation of that you could think of that follows that, along with the X16 rules.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
IMsuprised nobody saw this Nerd! (lol) This will be helpful once custom character are actually inserted into brawl

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Why was your wii so craptastic and choppy in that video
because it wasn't my wii, it was my computer. if you had read through the end of the guide, it says i had used emulation which was kinda fail simply because my computer is not overpowered (tri core 2.1, 3 gb ram,256mb OLD graphics card).

Jys072595

Smash Rookie
It should be worth while to mention that the sizes of the .jpgs you are making into the .thp have to be in multiples of 16.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman

Good point, ill add it right away, but i didn't add this originally because i didn't think it would matter, most people will probably just DL from youtube.

siamesedream27

Smash Rookie
I have about 7685 frames in jpg format. I have THPConv.exe and dsptool.dll in the same folder as the images and the sound file (.wav) I also followed

C:/Thp>THPConv -j brawl****.jpg -d Brawl.thp -s sound.wav

I even tried five stars and converted the jpegs to different lower quality

I keep getting the error

ERROR: THP supports up to 672 dots in a line!
ERROR: Can't convert [Brawl0001.jpg] file to thp (2201)
ERROR: Can't write video data (1259)
ERROR: Fail to execute THPUtyCreateTHP()
WARNING: Errors occurred while converting to THP
Please Check for error messages above!

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out

Edit:
Also the images are 720 x 480 which are multiples of 16 so I don't think it's that

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
I have about 7685 frames in jpg format. I have THPConv.exe and dsptool.dll in the same folder as the images and the sound file (.wav) I also followed

C:/Thp>THPConv -j brawl****.jpg -d Brawl.thp -s sound.wav

I even tried five stars and converted the jpegs to different lower quality

I keep getting the error

ERROR: THP supports up to 672 dots in a line!
ERROR: Can't convert [Brawl0001.jpg] file to thp (2201)
ERROR: Can't write video data (1259)
ERROR: Fail to execute THPUtyCreateTHP()
WARNING: Errors occurred while converting to THP
Please Check for error messages above!

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out

Edit:
Also the images are 720 x 480 which are multiples of 16 so I don't think it's that
its probably has to do with the 720 then, try it at 640 x 480 (and re increase the quality :p)

now that i reread it, it says that it does not support up to 672 dots per line, so lowering the resolution to 640x480 will (most likely) work.

siamesedream27

Smash Rookie
its probably has to do with the 720 then, try it at 640 x 480 (and re increase the quality :p)

now that i reread it, it says that it does not support up to 672 dots per line, so lowering the resolution to 640x480 will (most likely) work.
Works Perfectly!! Thanks, You are the Man!

Edit: I was able to create a THP from my images and it worked perfectly in the THP viewer. So I put it in the sd card under RSBE / pf / and then made a subdirectory called movie and placed it in there as OPMovie.thp

According to wii scrubber the opening movie is 'OPMovie.thp' and the movies are under the subdirectory 'movie'

Am I doing something wrong or can this only be done so far by replacing the movie on a burned copy?

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Works Perfectly!! Thanks, You are the Man!

Am I doing something wrong or can this only be done so far by replacing the movie on a burned copy?
Only burns/usb sadly. maybe riivolution supports it but i personally don't like that program.

Edit: i know im the man and i added the 672 thing to the OP.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Well, with rivo we could replace that lousy opening video so...uploading the the vids would be nice.

Not all of us can make vids anyway since we lack the program necessary for it.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Well, with rivo we could replace that lousy opening video so...uploading the the vids would be nice.

Not all of us can make vids anyway since we lack the program necessary for it.
Sorta reminds me of the original method of making BRSTMs... and just about everything else... (Lacking of Ash, Cupash, Stash, NTSC brawl... and much more)

well, we might as well start one then, because if people cant make them, who will? but ima wait for more people to upload THPs and ima go pm bio about it... sometime later tonight...

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
If this is for a roughly 30 fps THP, how do you make 60 FPS THP's?
And sure, I'll make THP's, I just need to see if I can get everything I need for it.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
If this is for a roughly 30 fps THP, how do you make 60 FPS THP's?
And sure, I'll make THP's, I just need to see if I can get everything I need for it.
the guide is designed around 30FPS, but if you want to make it 60 FPS, Add at the end of the CMd

-r 59.94

That basically is 60FPS (like 30 is 29.97) but it wont let you use exactly 60.

ChuteTheMessenger

Xarna

Smash Rookie
Darn x_x I am having some problems, could ya help? Yup i am a noob as you can tell how i started my first one xD thanks.

ChuteTheMessenger

No, you literally put "*****.jpg". That confused me in the beginning too, as I thought the *'s stood for the numbers.
So it would be
"THPConv -j *****.jpg -d movie.thp -s file.wav"

Xarna

Smash Rookie
No, you literally put "*****.jpg". That confused me in the beginning too, as I thought the *'s stood for the numbers.
So it would be
"THPConv -j *****.jpg -d movie.thp -s file.wav"
OHH!!! OK, thanks! Ill go see and try:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom