• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The War Nerve - Keeping your's in Check

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Before I begin, THIS IS FOR NEW TOURNAMENT PLAYERS. So if you've won 50 tournaments already, then don't bother reading this. It is simply a guide to controlling your nerves when you are getting used to the stress of a competitive tournament scene.

Imagine, for a moment, that you are approaching your first ever tournament. For some, this event washes into the back of your mind after a few more tournaments pass. For other yet, I'm sure you can still clearly and vividly remember the tingling in your stomach, the anticipation of seeing the best players your city has to offer. The nerves you get when you see the ability of some other players, and eventually, whether the first tournament or not, the feeling you get when reeling in your first set victory.

There are certainly many aspects to competing and winning in any organized tournament setting. Technical precision, a game plan, reading your opponent, avoiding repetition and so forth and so on. This thread is not about any of that. This post is made to address a more personal and emotional aspect of tournament play. Your nerves. Adrenaline. For those of you who already have a firm hold and can control your emotions even in the most stressful situations, well good on ya'. But for the rest, and I'm sure there are a good number, I feel this will help prepare you for whats to come.

ADRENALINE
Your heart is racing, your breath is quick and shallow, your hands shake and sweat and when it's time to call out that counterpick, the only thing you can say is 'uhhhhhhh.' This feeling can easily turn what could be a good match into an absolute nightmare. I've had several experiences in which my match starts out greatly in my favor, and through the build up of stress I can feel my gameplay slipping away, and with it, my victory. Here are a few ways to avoid this.

First of all, BREATH CONTROL. Cardiovascular means exactly that. Lungs and heart. Your breath speeds up so your heart speeds up, your heart speeds up so your adrenaline picks up too, next thing you know, you can't keep the physiological aspect of your game in check. Next thing you know, glide tosses are the hardest thing you've ever attempted and the simple idea of teching becomes a true challenge. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. If you just lost a stock, take those brief seconds to recuperate yourself and find your center. If you just rush back into the fight, you are running the risk of losing control due to stress. Take a moment to calm your nerves, and try to shake out the jitters in your hands.

Second, know your goals. I know everyone, myself included, aspires to winning first place at their local tournaments. It's an honor, and something to be envious of. But don't walk into your first, or second, or third tournament thinking 'ok, this time i will win for sure.' Believe me, the guys winning have been playing for a LONG time, and I'm sure went through their fair share of loses before they got up top. Set a modest goal, something you can accomplish but still challenges you. If you have the bar for success set a little lower, then you won't feel so much stress about every single match. Maybe just say, 'ok, this time, i will win at least 2 matches.' That is entirely achievable, and therefore you won't feel like you're fighting a huge hulking giant every time you have a brawl. Being modest and slowly moving the goal higher and higher will help keep your nerves at bay.

Lastly, consider yourself, not others. Look, the opponent you get matched with is still going to be that same opponent no matter how hard you consider this person. Although it is quite important to know your match up, beyond that, I would stop considering, at least if you're just starting on the tournament scene. At one of my earlier tournaments, I found out the good players that would be in attendance and spent so long worrying about getting them in a match, that when it came time to fight, my mind wasn't anywhere near the right place. It's fear, to be blunt. NOBODY who finds out they are about to fight M2K doesn't curse under their breath at the luck of it all. You need to worry about playing YOUR best, not how good they will play. That being said, don't spend too much time watching other players destroy their opponents. When it's time for the match, play your hardest and concentrate on your strategy and reading theirs, don't let the stigma of them being a total ****** throw you off.

FOCUS
This one seems obvious but I have a feeling a lot of people get thrown off early on. When's it's time for a match, that's all that should be on your mind. Not your next opponent. Not your probability to win. Not your friend yelling in the background. Just the fight. Just by not thinking about your chances, you increase your chances.

Learning how to force yourself to focus when it's game time, is a MONUMENTAL step in your mind set. I'm sure anyone who reads this can think back on a time when they were 'in the zone.' When the whole match seems to go exactly as they needed, when every spike was pulled off, edge hogs had perfect timing, you juggled, you battered, and eventually you rode valiantly to victory. THAT, is what you need to aspire towards every game, and the only way, is to focus every bit of brain power into that match. NEVER consider the end of your match if you're only half way through to begin with. Just because you're a stock behind doesn't mean you lost, but if you are already letting your mind wonder to your counterpick, then there's a chance you are just throwing away the match you are in already. On the same ticket, if you have a lead, don't get excited. Don't get yourself into this whole 'OH MY FREAK THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!' Because while you are thinking about how great winning will be, your opponent will be smashing you up to his heart's content.

and finally....
ENDURANCE
This one is a bit difficult to address, simply because your lifestyle will change this on an individual basis. As a simple rule of thumb, get a lot of sleep, eat a good breakfast, and don't waste your energy yelling out every time you win a match, or running around to call people out on things. Don't waste your mental energy either trying to pull of things way above your skill level, the truth is your mind will slowly lose concentration in some of these matches, and you need to get every advantage you can to extend the stamina of your physical and mental gameplay.DON'T stay up all night trying to practice. If you are most people, then lack of sleep will DESTROY your ability when compared to well rested players.

In conclusion, have no misconceptions. Adrenaline can certainly result in better gameplay, but there is a certain amount of it that eventually will be detrimental. You want to always control your nerves and adrenaline, and if you do, you will focus. Focus will find you that 'zone' that you want to be in, and you will play at your very very finest. I hope that this is helpful to some of you more edgy types, and if so, please, utilize it and do your best.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Good read. All true stuff. Getting sleep is probably the most important thing. If you do make it to final rounds, and you're exhausted, you've got big problems.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I get exhausted just trying so hard. My mind starts to lose focus a lot during the later day just because i've spent so much brain power trying to fight throw different matches.

etecoon

Smash Hero
good topic

If you are most people, then lack of sleep will DESTROY your ability when compared to well rested players.
I've had too much experience with this, I work a night job and can't get weekends off so I go to tournaments on no sleep, way too hard to play well like that :/

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
It really is. I went to a HOBO about a year ago where some crazy how I decided it would be a great idea staying up and practicing the night before. TERRIBLE choice.

Top Bottom