• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[UPDATE!!] Redoing the Brawl+ website.

Forum Software?

• phpBB

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • MyBB

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Basically, I want to completely take down the Brawl+ website and replace it with a fresh new CMS (Content Management System) to act as a better version of the B+ website with more potential than the old one.

The reason behind this is to basically have a fresh website for a fresh start with the next version of B+.

Face it. What we have now is a silly excuse for a website and deserves to be redone for a potentially huge release.

This in conjunction with Blind's idea of starting a PR campaign to re-invigorate interest within Brawl+ could potentially be what we need in order bring some well deserved life back in to this game of ours.

I want run this by everyone involved with Brawl+ before going through with it.

And if anyone wants to see what I have in mind for web-software for what I want to do, ask.

Any questions or concerns, ask away.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind, but please be aware that Project M depends on its forum, and if there is no way to back up what we currently have and transfer it to the new site, that would be quite a problem for us.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I understand that, but considering that you guys are a project of your own, having your base established within a trashy site devoted to a completely separate project is not ideal for your own development and growth.

Honestly, it would be best for the growth of each project to be separate website wise so that reforms like this wont affect the other.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Yes, that is the ideal, but logistically I don't know if it's possible.

Dantarion may be willing to configure and host a website (he already hosts our subversion) but that's a lot of work. I'll talk to him about it (or maybe he'll respond in this thread) but I would appreciate if you could hold off until we've resolved this.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well I personally have to set up the website in the background. I havnt even completely settled on a CMS, because atm, I'm torn between Joomla and other potential CMS. And even if I had picked one, I have to set it up on another part of my website and make sure its complete before moving, so people dont have to experience down time.

However, i wanted to release the new website along side the next release of Brawl+ as a sort of Phoenix Fire Rebirth thing. Ya dig?

I'd rather not have the first home of the next version be on that loltastic Wordpress.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i always hated the brawlplus website lol.

but yeah WindOwl/Shanus, I'd be more than willing to set up a projectm.soniccagedome.com or something, if you guys wanted. if i have an extra domain purchase around I'd also be willing to do that. or just set up a Project M forum on my forum. but that might be weird.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I'm just wondering whatever happened to this...

These websites need a lot of work in general. I feel like it might be more useful to technically have a unified WBR website, which is mad pro for hacked brawl in general. The main thing is PR< and having a website which shows EVERYTHING in a professional way which is clean, organized, and efficient would be huge.

Something like:

BrawlMods.com or SmashMods.com

What I envision:

It has tabs for the main brawl projects:
B+
BB
B-
PM
(maybe even a tab for melee hacks, too, to expand our bounds)

A section for custom/DLC
Stages with subforums of Models, Textures
Characters Movesets with subforums of Models, Textures
AI
Music

I envision:
Chats that don't base off IRC
How-Tos for install
Forums
Dantarion's hub-based technology for each project for ticketing changes and all
Active news
Active online tournament hosting (possibly even a method to make a matchmaking system for it)
... and more
Obviously we can strike Dant's hub off of the list, but would this fix the current P:M being on B+.net issue?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
whatever it is, it should be .org unless you intend to make money off of it.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I think that'd be an amazing idea. =3

And if it doesn't have ads it'll go under quick; go with the .com

EDIT: or .net sounds fine

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lemme rephrase that
unless we intend to make a profit (read: ads to keep up with site costs do not count), we should do .org or .net. we are more of a collective organization, imo, but i suppose we could also be considered a network of projects.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
URL really doesn't matter too much. I'd be happy to put up a site+forums for the sole basis of Brawl hacking....but you see, the issue is getting people from here....to go there :D

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I think once we have something in place, people would be willing to transition. Especially with the advent of model replacement, given that we're not allowed to share models on Smashboards.

shanus

Smash Hero
Given how 1. I paid for brawlplus.net and programmed basically a majority of the sites layout (hey, better than nothing we had at the time since no-one aside from Bionic offered any help), I think I should be allowed to have my little forum on there for now, GHNeko :p

Either way, I support a site which merges everything since overall, it'll have a lot more content, and a lot more activity.

If just 1 project has a site, there really isn't going to be much content, period. BPN is a prime example. It's the most established set, and has no content. Need a lot of smash mods stuff to ever have a lot of content.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Given how 1. I paid for brawlplus.net and programmed basically a majority of the sites layout (hey, better than nothing we had at the time since no-one aside from Bionic offered any help), I think I should be allowed to have my little forum on there for now, GHNeko :p
I have no clue how to work wordpress. :p

And I dont have a problem with you having your own forum up there. It's just that having it up there when I wanna redo the whole thing is just posing as a little pimple problem I need to pop.

Either way, I support a site which merges everything since overall, it'll have a lot more content, and a lot more activity.

If just 1 project has a site, there really isn't going to be much content, period. BPN is a prime example. It's the most established set, and has no content. Need a lot of smash mods stuff to ever have a lot of content.
THEN we need to get BPC, and AA on boards most deff.

NNID
Budget_Player

I have hosting. If you want, I can register the domain, set up FTPs, and get the ball rolling. If it isn't obvious though, I'm absolutely terrible at actually designing ****. :laugh:

I have no clue how to work wordpress. :p

And I dont have a problem with you having your own forum up there. It's just that having it up there when I wanna redo the whole thing is just posing as a little pimple problem I need to pop.

THEN we need to get BPC, and AA on boards most deff.
I'm on board. Hell, I'll get this **** rolling. EDIT: THEY CENSOR BALL? EDIT2: Never mind I am an idiot with no short term memory. xD

Also, as long as this is a topic...

Our members have made a total of 5,236 posts in 165 threads.
We currently have 220 members registered.

Just some bragging rights yo. :V

As far as what I can do...
-I know my way around WP at least a little bit; this includes mods and themes (at least a little lol)
-I know vBulletin back to front
-I know a bit of MyBB
-I have a hostgator account where I basically just stuff random domains and websites; I'm sure it will have room for this.
-I can do some HTML, CSS, and PHP
-I can keep my section of the site at least somewhat updated.

Should I register a domain yes/no?
smashhacks, smashmods, brawlhacks and brawlmods are all free in .org, .net, and .com. I personally recommend .com, mostly because it's the most obvious of the three.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
......BPN has no content because no one ever ****ing caters to the thing. OL

But ye,

LET'S DO IT

YEAH YEAH

*something sexual with an extra letter on the end* wbr

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i do not like the idea of smashhacks.com, smashmods or smashworkshop would be better, imo.

shanus

Smash Hero
Of course I endorse it rofl, I came up with the idea for the unified site haha

NNID
Budget_Player
Of course I endorse it rofl, I came up with the idea for the unified site haha
DERP

Going to register. :laugh:

Smashworkshop.com it is. Ordering it with my host now. Also: what should we run for CMSs? As usual, I am vouching for vBulletin (seriously; I know this software super well and would be willing to chip in a lot if we get a license); wordpress is good, but as far as forums go, no. A WP forum does not work.

As far as the whole forums thing goes, how would we set it up? I imagine a tabbed forumhome (kinda like seen here; click the tabs, it's just one forum; the mod also exists for MyBB) for easy back-and-forth between different forums without having to register 4 times, but a separate entity for each (each one has their own tab, with one extra tab for combined news and general smash hacking; kind of like Tips and Tricks or Customized Content).

EDIT: Smashworkshop.com is taken. Go for .org? Or .net?

NNID
Budget_Player
Next thing you know, you'll be saying something crazy like "don't invest in silver". :V

All right, canceeled the order for now. It'll probably still be there when we get around to being done.

But back to the discussion on how the site should work... yeah, we should get AA on board. Also, how is the P:M site, is there a part to the B+ site I'm not aware of beyond the visible CMS and the (bad) forum? Brawlminus.com just has the visible site and the forum (with hidden forums).

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I'd rather go for something like smashmods.org, as Strong_Bad suggested, it makes more sense to go with a .org domain if we're all doing this for non-profit stuff.

Would we be able to get vBulletin? It's super expensive and I hate to get it to see it go to waste... but on the other hand, there is a tournament/matchmaking plugin for it. Hmm...

I'd rather be inclined to use MyBB instead. :s

NNID
Budget_Player
I'd rather go for something like smashmods.org, as Strong_Bad suggested, it makes more sense to go with a .org domain if we're all doing this for non-profit stuff.

Would we be able to get vBulletin? It's super expensive and I hate to get it to see it go to waste... but on the other hand, there is a tournament/matchmaking plugin for it. Hmm...

I'd rather be inclined to use MyBB instead. :s
It's not too expensive. I'd probably be able to chip in about what, half the cost of a publishing suite? If everyone chips in a little, it would not be a problem in the slightest. I mean, I just recently got a paycheck from Troll&Toad for my advertisements on another site, soooo... I dunno; the things that speak for vBulletin are, tbh, many. 3.8.x preferably.

Besides, if I scrounge up a 3.x license used, that solves most of the problems of price, usually.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
We have our own thing going and are going to have a pretty passable Bbrawl website already (obviously the current one is a massive WIP) so I'm not really that inclined to do any work on other sites. However, I'm not totally opposed to involvement and wouldn't mind porting over a bit of content for the sake of completeness. Just be aware that I am probably not going to be available to do a very substantial amount of work on a site like this.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i've got a 3.8.1 license lol. the tournament plugins are pretty good for vB imo. i really like it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
We have our own thing going and are going to have a pretty passable Bbrawl website already (obviously the current one is a massive WIP) so I'm not really that inclined to do any work on other sites. However, I'm not totally opposed to involvement and wouldn't mind porting over a bit of content for the sake of completeness. Just be aware that I am probably not going to be available to do a very substantial amount of work on a site like this.

Well, you could use this unified site as a like an info mirror or something.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Well, you could use this unified site as a like an info mirror or something.
What we can do is aggregate the Balanced Brawl site feed through the RSS and have a small summary with a link to direct them to the main site.

aka: every time something is posted on balancedbrawl.net, only the first paragraph is posted on something like smashmods.org, at the end a link to "Read More" directing them to the balanced brawl site article.

i've got a 3.8.1 license lol. the tournament plugins are pretty good for vB imo. i really like it.
Nice :D

Top Bottom