• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 64.

D

Deleted member

That's right, a thread dedicated to all Nintendo 64 discussions. You can talk about the hardware, games, controllers, anything related the system.

The Nintendo 64 is my all-time favorite video game system. The console got me into gaming in 1998 and I've played a ton of game for the system. Sadly, it broked in November, 2007 by accident and I've never been able to touch one since.

However, I am hoping to get an Nintendo 64 this summer since I'll finally get a job. There are tons of games I'm hoping to get. Here is the list:

- Mario Tennis
- Mario Party
- Mario Party 2
- Mario Party 3
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Banjo-Tootie
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- Donkey Kong 64
- Goldeneye 007
- Perfect Dark
- Vigilante 8
- Vigilante 8: Second Offense
- Dr. Mario 64
- Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA
- Crusin' World
- Re-Volt
- BattleTanx: Global Assualt
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
- Harvest Moon 64
- Mortal Kombat Trilogy
- Mortal Kombat 4
- Killer Instinct: Gold Edition
- Worms: Armengandon
- Beetle Adventure Racing
- Star Wars: Rouge Squadron
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
- Star Wars: Episode 1 Battle For Naboo
- Mega Man 64
- Resident Evil 2
- Space Station Silicon Valley
- Lego Racer
- The World Is Not Enough
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
- Mickey Mouse Speedway USA
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
- Rayman 2: The Great Escape
- Jet Force Gemini
- NBA Hangtime
- Extreme G
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
- Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil
- Wetrix
- Pilotwings 64
- Ridge Racer 64
- Namco Musuem 64
- Tetrisphere
- The New Tetris
- Bomberman 64: The Second Attack
- Bomberman Hero
- Mischeif Maker
- Hot Wheel Turbo Racing
- Pokemon Stadium
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- WipeOut 64
- Mission: Impossible
- Rocket: Robot On Wheels
- Transformer
- Chameleon Twist
- Glover
- WWF Wrestlemania 2000
- Lode Runner 3D
- Bangai-O
- All Stars Baseball 2001
- F-1 World Gran Prix
- Custom Robo
- Custom Robo V2

About seventy titles there.

Note: This is not a list thread but a general discussion of the Nintendo 64.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Nintendo 64 is a great system. I've had several fun hours playing of course Super Smash Bros; but also other games like 007 The World is Not Enough and Goldeneye. Road Rash 64 was also fun and at times very hillarious.

I still play Nintendo 64 here and there. Latley I've been playing NFL Bitz. It's old, but it's so addicting. There was a tournament I witnessed recently called the Marraquin Bowl suprising involving NFL Blitz. The NY Giants beat the Dallas Cowboys with 6 seconds left on the clock after trailing by a point. NFL Blitz games are always intense and the hits and trashtalking are hillarious.

I love playing Winback as well. Vs. mode is challenging becuase you have to strategize how your going to creep around boxes, walls and other things. I've never played a shooter game like it before. I wasn't great at it but it was still fun.

Star Fox 64 is a classic as well. I remember the time over the summer of either 2000 or 2001 where my friend and I would always compete for the highest total score after beating the game. We went neck and neck for awhile but he eventually drilled me after getting I think over 400 some enemies at the satellite stage right before the Star Wolf team. No matter how hard I tried I could never get anywhere near his total. His button mashing skills are beastly. I knew I had offiicially lost the challenge after witnessing this but I kept trying in failure anyways.

D

Deleted member

@SharkAttack: I loved Super Smash Bros. as a child. This makes me glad that it's on the Virtual Console, but that's a discussion on the Super Smash Bros. section.

I also remember Goldeneye007 immensely even thought I've never owned it. That'll probably be one of the first games I get when I get an Nintendo 64.

finalark

SNORLAX
I didn't get my N64 until after I got my 'cube, I heard a lot of good stuff about it so I wanted to see what the big deal is. Yeah, it's a pretty cool system, there's a lot of good games available for it. Although I only own four games for it, I sitll enjoy the system from time to time.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I never owned a Nintendo 64, sadly... But I went to my friend's house once every week or so just to play some of the games he had. I have fond memories of SSB, Starfox 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Pokemon Snap, Mario Party, and etc. Playing them on VC is awesome and nice. It still doesn't beat playing it on the original console though.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The N64 is the greatest video game console of all time in my opinion.

So many good multi-player games on it:

Goldeneye 007
Perfect Dark
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Bros. 64

^
to name a few.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
It’s always difficult to put a price on Nostalgia. Some people pay hundreds of thousands to get that Ferrari that they lusted for back in the 1980’s. Others pay millions for a comic that they’ve always wanted because it was the stuff of lore when they were growing up and the lucky few get to relive their youth for just 25 bucks with Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
It’s always difficult to put a price on Nostalgia. Some people pay hundreds of thousands to get that Ferrari that they lusted for back in the 1980’s. Others pay millions for a comic that they’ve always wanted because it was the stuff of lore when they were growing up and the lucky few get to relive their youth for just 25 bucks with Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64.

I agree. It's tough to place a price on Nostalgia. I bought NFL Blitz for $18.00 through Amazon about 2 months ago. I could have likely gotten it cheaper at a Gamestore but I wanted it so bad and quick I paid an extra few dollars. The same goes for SNES games for me. I held back on both overall; but the temptation is always there.

I never had some of the games I listed earlier because my friend did like Winback and Road Rash. Some classics I would like to own for the N64 are Army Men with the hillocopters, 007 The World is Not Enough, Demolition Derby 64 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

On Tony Hawk my friend and I would always compete for the highest score on the first level (Just like my Starfox story earlier) on Friday nights. I eventually got owned. My Bucky Lasik skills couldn't compare to the his beastly Bob Burnquist skateboarding manuvers.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I still play my N64 quite regularly. It became a staple of my college life, when everyone would jam into my dorm room to play Mario Kart 64. Theres something about this system that will bring anyone to come play it, maybe because they grew up with it, or maybe because it just isn't as advanced and technical as the new systems these days.

The funny thing that everyone mentions about Goldeneye as being such an awesome game, is that if you go back and play it now, it really shows how far FPS on consoles have come. Personally, the game now is hard for me to enjoy, primarily because the controls are so limited, and the graphics are as well. I remember playing it for hours upon end back in the day, but these days I just can't get into it anymore.

I totally agree with SharkAttack on NFL Blitz and Starfox. Those two titles were probably my most played before the whole Mario Kart craze in my dorm. I used to have those epic Blitz matches with a friend of mine, where every single game came down to the last play. Starfox was the same way, we always tried to beat each other's scores. I never thought the multi player on Starfox was as fun as the single player game. Luckily, my N64 and four controllers still work perfectly fine. Don't get caught up in the Mario Party craze...it will destroy your controllers haha.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Mine's still alive and kicking. My family has a lot of games for it, too.

I really loved Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time...the basic ones that everyone loves. Then I had ones that weren't as well known/popular like Mischief Makers, Mystical Ninja 2: Goemon's Great Adventure, etc.

I feel like because of the new experience of the N64, they also really tried to make games as different/quirky as possible. I loved that.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I'll have to say that my favorite games for N64 will have to be Ogre Battle, StarCraft, Perfect Dark, Ocarina Of Time, Majora's Mask and SSB. Sadly a flood took it away from me last year and I had it when it first came out too T.T

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'll have to say that my favorite games for N64 will have to be Ogre Battle, StarCraft, Perfect Dark, Ocarina Of Time, Majora's Mask and SSB. Sadly a flood took it away from me last year and I had it when it first came out too T.T
Don’t let that tragedy keep you from enjoying all the gaming goodness that the N64 has to offer. With a little perseverance you can usually find the console cheap via Craig’s List and flea markets. Granted some of the more popular titles (like Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros.) can be pricey but many others can be had for under ten dollars.

Its not just nostalgia that makes the Nintendo 64 worth owning; the system also had some of the best games in the history of video gaming. Watch this unintentionally funny video for some perspective…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVxkzKRtBmA

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I loved the 64, but I hated their habit of putting 64 after everything. XXX 64 <_<, annoying me so bad. For the record too, Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 were godly games.... *sigh* the old games seem to be so much better these days, I look at FFXIII (Sony topic there) and the lack of good Donkey Kong games, etc, and it's so depressing. Few game series are still very good.

Edit: Not to bash SE, they are my fav. game making company, just disapointed =/

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Don’t let that tragedy keep you from enjoying all the gaming goodness that the N64 has to offer. With a little perseverance you can usually find the console cheap via Craig’s List and flea markets. Granted some of the more popular titles (like Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros.) can be pricey but many others can be had for under ten dollars.
Yeah N64 can some what be ez to find however games like Ogre Battle and StarCraft are hard to find or to expensive. There's just something about actually holding an N64 controller rather then some emulator with a random controller ^.^

seldonbilly

Smash Rookie
Emulator man. Emulator

I bought a N64 to USB adaptor a few months ago and it works great. I wanted to play the old Zelda 64 games but didn't want to lug around my console and games. So I found Project64 and obtained the games and used my old N64 controller and it worked great..

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've always loved the N64, since I originally got one back in...somewhere around 1999/2000 (all I can remember is I ended up getting one essentially for Pokémon Stadium and Snap), but I didn't actually have more than 6 games until the past year and a half or so.

Now I have 16. Thank god for Goodwill.

But Donkey Kong 64 holds some great memories for me; as my first 3D platformer, I must've played that game nearly exclusively for a year straight.

Majora's Mask is awesome too, even though I didn't have it (well, the original cartridge, anyways) until October '09.

D

Deleted member

It's really nice to have a lot of people remember the Nintendo 64. That was truly an underrated system.

Luckily, my grandparents approved of me getting a job, so providing I get approved, I should be able to scrap up money for an N64 in about a month.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Goldeneye is the closest game to my heart. Undescribable how much I love that game. When I play it's like I'm not me anymore. It's like something's taken over me. I'm not even exaggerating.

Ocarina of Time <3
Super Mario 64 <3
Diddy Kong Racing <3

I miss my N64. Best console ever. Best controller ever. Best gaming time of my life.

I need to find one :(

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
It's really nice to have a lot of people remember the Nintendo 64. That was truly an underrated system.
Yeah it really was underrated! If cartridges hadn’t taken so long to manufacture and been so expensive to produce the N64 might have kicked the Playstations butt. Sadly it was not to be.

After the N64, Nintendo decided that spending tons of money on state-of-the-art technology really wasn’t necessary to produce their brand of games. Ultimately the N64 paved the way for the Wii which isn’t as powerful as its competition but has nearly outsold its two rivals combined.

In the late 1990’s though the N64 was a 3D powerhouse and that may possibly be why many of its games are still relevant today. Just something to think about.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Another thing that’s often overlooked about the Nintendo 64 is how nearly indestructible the system is. Thanks to the fact that it’s solid state about the only maintenance that needs to be done is cleaning the slot were the cartridges make contact. If you keep all your carts clean you may never even have to do that.

The N64 truly is an amazing system that's blessed with some of the greatest games of all time. We here talk about Ocarina of Time, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64 but there are also so many other lesser appreciated titles that it can blow your mind if you think about it. The N64 was also home to Super Mario 64, Starfox 64, Mario Golf &Tennis, Wave Race 64 and the Mario Party series. Oh yeah, it even had Pokemon! Wow, that’s just incredible.

D

Deleted member

So guys, what do you have (Or did you had) for the Nintendo 64? I used to have:

Super Mario 64 (That got me into gaming, one of my all-time favorite video game)
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tootie
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 7
Re-Volt
BattleTanx: Global Assault
Donkey Kong 64
Super Smash Bros.
Yoshi's Story (At my mom's house)
Goldeneye 007 (At my mom's house)
Wave Race 64 (At my mom's house)
Lego Racers
Space Station Silicon Valley
F-1 World Grand Prix
All-Star Baseball 2001
A Madden Football game
Mario Party
Pokemon Stadium
Namco Musuem 64

If everything goes according to plan, I should be able to afford another Nintendo 64 sometimes in June, 2010.

M.K

Level 55
<3333333333333

^Basically sums up my entire feelings about the system. Iggy's Reckin Balls, Snowboard Kids, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Chameleon Twist.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
N64 Games I Have:

1) Banjo-Kazooie
2) Cruis’n USA
3) Donkey Kong 64
4) F-Zero X
5) Goldeneye 007
6) Hey You, Pikachu!
7) Legend of Zelda, The: Majora’s Mask
8) Legend of Zelda, The: Ocarina of Time
9) Mario Kart 64
10) Paper Mario
11) Pokemon Snap
12) Pokemon Stadium
13) Star Fox 64
14) Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
15) Super Mario 64
16) Super Smash Bros.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
STOP

THE NOSTALGIA!

:(

*cries*

I'm selling all my socks and getting one this summer.

D

Deleted member

@Firus and Grizzmeister: Decent list there, I had around the same titles.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
@Firus and Grizzmeister: Decent list there, I had around the same titles.
Thanks for appreciating my collection. I try to get only the really good games in the Nintendo 64 library and I place a special emphasis on multiplayer titles.

In my extremely humble opinion, no N64 collection is complete without Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. Everything else is gravy but you have to at least own those two to be taken seriously. Keep in mind that if you’re away at college and you have MK64 or SSB you’re immediately the life of the party. :)

The Nintendo 64 had a lot of really good single player games also but what makes it so historically pertinent is the incredible number of multiplayer mega hits it had.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for appreciating my collection. I try to get only the really good games in the Nintendo 64 library and I place a special emphasis on multiplayer titles.

In my extremely humble opinion, no N64 collection is complete without Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. Everything else is gravy but you have to at least own those two to be taken seriously. Keep in mind that if you’re away at college and you have MK64 or SSB you’re immediately the life of the party. :)

The Nintendo 64 had a lot of really good single player games also but what makes it so historically pertinent is the incredible number of multiplayer mega hits it had.
Luckily, you can get Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64 on the Virtual Console I'm also planning on getting the best games first, preferably from Rare.

You should get Diddy Kong Racing, that's another great multiplayer game.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Luckily, you can get Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64 on the Virtual Console I'm also planning on getting the best games first, preferably from Rare.
I just recently downloaded Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64 for my Wii and the originals are still slightly better. I’m very grateful to Nintendo for making both of these classics available at such a reasonable price though.

Too me it seems like the VC version of Mario Kart 64 controls a little better with the Classic Controller while the original Super Smash Bros. is MUCH better with the GameCube pad.

Top Bottom