• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tempest's falcon (First Tourney as falcon)

James Sparrow

Smash Master
i want to preface this by saying that i'm super impressed with your falcon. you exceeded my expectations in a big way.
anyway, i'm watching your set vs flux right now here's what i see:

Game 1

• at 0:18 you do a great job reading his air dodge and getting him back off the level. at that point, it's safe to assume he will have to up b to get back on the stage. rather than following with a dash attack, i think it would be better to grab the edge, drop and bair, or abuse invul frames for an easy (hopefully reverse) knee. you chose to down air edge gaurd him, which hit, but he was able to tech.
  • this is similar to the last one, and perhaps more of a longshot, but at 1:51, you could have done the same thing by grabbing the edge and using invul to your advantage. fox/falco's ub b is really bad if you're good at using invul frames to **** it. this one would have taken insane reaction time since he could have potentially side-b'd to recover, but yea i thought it was worth noting.
  • should have downthrown at 3:05
  • overall i thought your edgegaurding could use some work on this game. you had good reads, good combos, and good finishes on the stage. however, at the edge you were inefficient a lot.
Game 2
  • 0:34 is pretty obvious, be better at judging how far falco is from the stage and how he'll have to recover (he needed the edge to get back, so just time your roll well when he side b's or up b's)
  • overall this game was a lot of you getting controlled by lasers. i think it maybe had to do with you playing a bit aggressive. a lot of times it's easy to think "if he's shooting at me, i have to charge him" but that's not always good... that's kind of what they want. when he is shooting, your job should be to not get hit by lasers, and stay mobile on the stage. if he breaks your dash dance he can reliably approach you which you can't do anything about. if you charge him, he's able to react and punish. instead stay mobile and look for openings where he misjudges spacing or something (example 0:12-0:17). in that example, you did a great job of staying mobile while avoiding his shots. he mistakenly downsmashed instead of dair'd, but you missed the punish. keep your eyes open for those opportunities, because they're your bread and butter vs a good falco.
Game 3
  • to start, i'm not sure i get the logic behind your counterpick. i think your counter you used vs me would have been a good choice here (dk64). i guess maybe it's a personal preference thing? i know this is a good falcon stage, but i'm not sure i agree with the choice.
  • great work with the side b on the bubbles and goo pillars early on. now i'm getting why you picked it.
  • i would have liked to see more knees out of the times he got hit by lava.
  • 2:22 instead of another knee, i think uair grab or first hit nair regrab would be good here. would lead to a dthrow dropzone or edgegaurd.
  • 2:58-3:05 was ****ing sick.
  • big opportunity missed at 3:18

hope that helps

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
from playing you i would say

• you need more simple yet effective aka "gay" strats, as in things that cover every option especially on the edge and abuse falcons "auto combo's" lol
  • there arent any power sheil > grabs which is really good with him imo since he dashes so freaking far
  • learn to wait more in general, i think its best to be in the mind set that you're making your opponent do what you want him to do, not reacting to what hes doing.
  • but yeah i dont really know much about falcon so thats just my overall advice :) (goo)

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
your third point is kinda like what heath was talkin about vs falco, it's really hard to not want to approach is falco's just sittin back blastin lasers in your face. i gotta try to be more patient and dance around the stage.

also my power shielding was pretty non existant that day =/ idk haven't played enough lately i guess.

thx for your input guys :)

Top Bottom