• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* Official R.O.B. Boards Stage Discussion(Currently discussing Halberd) UPDATED!

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I made this because I've realized that everyone else that ran them in the past couldn't handle it for whatever reason.
I remember when Sudai gave the "dead" stage discussion thread to GWJumpman over me.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249033

My Stage Discussion Thread on Snake Boards

As long as I'm around I will keep this thread alive. (as long as everyone from the ROB boards help)

With that said, let us begin.
Because the last Stage discussion was sooooo long ago and a lot may have changes from then and now. We'll, most likely, be discussing ALL of the stages again.

***Also, I'll move on to the next stage whenever I feel we're ready, not every week.

Stage discussion below.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Let's begin with a simple stage, this way no one is overwhelmed.

Battlefield

Summary:
+Aids ROB in getting kills.
+Utilt does wonders here.
+Platforms help ROB land.
+Platforms can "shield" ROB from some characters and their Air game.
+Recover by going under the stage

-Verticals deathzone is pretty close, so be careful.
-Don't stay on the platforms for too long they expose ROB's Blindspot. This lead to getting juggled.
-

Everyone not listed under character lists (to take/not to take lists) are undecided.:)
Characters on both means it's which ever you feel more comfortable with.
Characters to take here:

-Diddy
-MK
-Pikachu
-DDD
-Fox
-Wolf
-Sonic
-Ike
-Wario
-IC
-Kirby

Characters not to take here:
-Marth
-G&W
-Snake
-Falco
-MK
-Pit
-Lucario
-Olimar
-ZSS
-Peach
-DK
-Luigi
-Wario
-TL
-Kirby

Overall Stage Ratio:6/10
(How good is this stage for ROB, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best)

Final Destination

Summary:
+Rob live longer.
+Camping is "better" here.
+Rob can recover from under the stage.
+No platforms

-Landing against some characters is difficult.
-Chain Grabs are worse for Rob here.
-Still easily get juggled.

Everyone not listed under character lists (to take/not to take lists) are undecided.:)
Characters to take here:

Luigi
Lucario
G&W
Kirby
DK
Peach
Sheik
Ness
Bowser
Ike
Falcon
Link
Jiggy
Ganon
olimar
Yoshi
Zelda
PT
Mario
ZSS

Meta Knight
King Dedede
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Falco
Snake
ZSS

Overall Stage Ratio:7.5/10
(How good is this stage for ROB, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best)

Yoshi's Island

Summary:
+Close horizontal death zones. These aid ROB kill and also decrease the percent of how long ROB lives.
+Camp center of stage.

-Long platform makes camping more difficult.
-The ceiling is high enough so that ROB has a hard time killing.
-2 random platforms makes gimps pointless.
-Ghosts can be bad or good depending on how well you know how to use them. Ghosts = Frame traps.
-Close horizontal death zones. These aid ROB kill and also decrease the percent of how long ROB lives.
-All ledge option pretty much become worse because of how the edge of the stage tilts.
-ROB can not recover by going under the stage.
-Being on the platform leads to getting juggled.
-The up&down make it difficult to pick up Gyro at times.

Characters to take here:

-Lucas
-Falco
-Pit (Only because he cannot fly under the stage as an option)
-Fox
-Sonic
-G&W

-Snake
-MK
-Diddy Kong
-Marth
-G&W
-Olimar
-DK
-Kirby
-Wolf (much better options)
-Wario
-DDD

Overall Stage Ratio:3.5/10

Smashville

Summary:
+Up-B under stage as a recovery option.
+Balloon can somewhat refresh moves.
+Vertical Death Zones are close, allowing for easier gimps/kills.
+

-Moving platforms allow people to recover from gimps, and camp on it.
-Small stage makes camping harder.
-Moving platform is a good way for opponents to approach and escape bad situations.
-Curved ledge means no-one can get gimped by the ledge.
-

Characters to take here:

What ever you prefer.

-Snake (Moving Down smash/ C4)
-MK (can camp on the platform)
-Marth (can camp platform and approach with it)

Overall Stage Ratio:5.5/10

Pokemon Stadium 1

Summary:
+Large stage + transformations = better camping.
+Walls on the fire/rock transformations allow for D-tilt locks.
+Windmill on the water stage is the best area to camp, it makes approaching a lot more difficult.
+Learn to tech/tech jump on reaction otherwise you'll get combo'ed.
+No recovering under the stage. (MK/pit)
+Windmill can help set up Jab locks.

-Multiple platforms on multiple transformation leaves ROBs Blind spot open.
-No recovering under the stage.
-"lips" on each side of the stage can allow Rob to spike opponents who try to abuse it.

Characters to take here:

-Pit
-Falco (?)
-ICs
-MK
-Bowser
-DK
-Ganon
-Sheik
-Jiggs
-Cpt. Falcon
-PT
-Ike
-Ness
-Lucas
-G&W
-Sonic
-Lucario

-D3
-Diddy
-MK
-Marth
-Toon Link
-Link
-Samus (this depends on what you prefer)
-Kirby
-Olimar
-G&W
-

Overall Stage Ratio:6.5/10

Lylat Cruise
Summary:
+Stage tilting ruins Multiple characters recoveries. (Not ROBs)
+Gimping is easier here.
+Recover under stage.
+Close vertical Blast Zones = getting earlier kills.

-Slanted parts of stage make it difficult to retrieve Gyro.
-Slanted portions of stage make Laser bouncing almost useless.
-Some attacks such as MKs Uair can go through the far left and right sides of the stage.

Characters to take here:

-Wolf
-Falco
-Fox
-Zelda
-Link
-Lucario
-ICs
-DK
-Olimar
-Mario

-Snake (too many platforms for him to **** ROB with)
-Marth
-Olimar
-MK
-D3
-Kirby
-TL
-ZSS

Overall Stage Ratio:6.5/10

Halbred
Summary:
+Long platfrom aids in getting U-smash kills.
+The small stage that characters can go through aids ROB's recovery.
+Extremly low ceiling turns D-smash into a kill move.
+ROB can kill earlier here.
+Gimping can be somewhat harder on certain characters since they can go through the stage.

-ROB dies earlier.
-Long Platfoms = ROBs blindspot wide open.
-Some characters can "shark" here.
-Harder to camp certain characters here.

Characters to take here:

-Falco
-G&W
-IC
-Marth
-Kirby
-Diddy
-

-Snake
-MK
-Fox
-DK
-Wario
-D3
-Falco
-Olimar
-G&W

Overall Stage Ratio:7/10

If you have any idea to make this thread better, post it!

Trillest

Smash Ace
I actually think Bf is the stage to take them mk's to as it pretty easy to navigate and its sets Rob up for upsmash kills which hamper mk a lot as the basis of his incredible momentum cancelling is some what limited for vertical ko's. Obvious downfall to bf is rob horrible trip/fall animation we get if we get pushed off platforms.

Dont Take there: Marth, Toon link( he can dair the platforms n hit us + aerial bombing)
Take There: Mk, Icies, Diddy (though some of them like it)

Also awesome work mizu we need more ppl trying to help keep this character alive i.e. Stop being lazy every1 lets make rob good ^^

7/10: Its a starter for a reason

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I also wouldn't take G & W or Snake there for obvious reasons.
I would take Pika here though.
IMO I think ROB performs better on other starter stages.
5.5/10 for me.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I don't like Battlefield for not feeling comfortable. I think there isn't much space, and the platforms close to one another are pretty bad for ROB, IMO. You know, platforms can help people juggling ROB. Besides, Ganondorf(!) can **** us by using those platforms correctly. I mean, Side B > Usmash/Uair, and as they are close to one another, Ganon can do what I mentioned most of times. So yeah, I would avoid BF against him, Snake, Marth and Meta Knight. And I would take nobody to this stage, as there are usually better options, and BF isn't even the second best option if the first one is banned or the stage striking rule is valid.

However, ROB can also make good use of the platformas, like Trillest said: Usmash(maybe Nair, too) KOs! But this isn't enough to take MK to BF. MK using the platforms > ROB using the platforms, IMO.

6/10. What can be done here, can also be done on other starters, maybe even better. Like camping on FD.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I would take:

Diddy
Falco
Ics
Wario
DDD (yes DDD, camping under platforms ftw, watch jumping straight from the ledge though, u will land on the platform more than often and eat an Utilt)
Pikachu
Toon Link
Fox
Wolf
Sonic

For the Most Part, I would take these characters (example: spacies) here because they can either out camp us (comparing this stage to FD)

or the fact that if we camp under a platform, we are safe from several approach options (example: Wario & DDD)

The following characters can really lay a beat down on us in Battlefield because of the platforms

Meta Knight
Snake
Marth
Olimar
Lucario
G&W
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Donkey Kong
Peach
Luigi
Ike
Zelda

TheMike

Smash Lord
I wouldn't take Falco to BF.

Platforms are good friends of him. Just watch 3:39 of this video to see the **** Falco can do. This also happens when he Shield Pokes ROB with Bair when it is above a platform, setting up to a Grounded Laser Lock. I know ROB can tech, but it won't be possible to do so everytime since the player is an human being and not a robot like the character, lol.

Falco doesn't need to approach because he can reflect ROB's projectiles, and BF's size doesn't make Falco's camping game bad. Obviously, camping on FD is much better for him, but his camping game is still pretty good. So, ROB will need to approach, which isn't easy against a characters who has one of the best projectiles when ROB has the worst base aerial mobility of the game(I'm saying this because we should make good use of the platforms/air game on BF, and ROB isn't good doing so, or not as good as Falco).

I've played a good Falco called wangston(Mister Eric's friend. <3) and he actually used BF as a counter pick option because I banned Japes(stage striking rule). I'm not saying BF is a counter pick option for Falco against ROB(it was wang's option), but I disagree with it being ROB's.

If you have any idea to make this thread better, post it!
I have two.

I think it's better to have explanations for why to take/not to take X character to Y stage. It will help beginners more than just list the characters, like you do on the Snake Boards. It's not necessary to make in depth analysis, try what I'm doing on the Luigi Stage Discussion Thread. The other idea is to use smaller pictures, making the OP more nifty. Maybe the following:

It doesn't need to be a big picture, and the one above is good, IMO. You can find all the pictures like the one posted by clicking here. :)

6Mizu

Smash Champion
I think it's better to have explanations for why to take/not to take X character to Y stage. It will help beginners more than just list the characters, like you do on the Snake Boards.. :)
Ummm....yea your right, I have it done differently on the Snake boards because we usely don't have "beginners" on the Snake Boards.

Next to most of the characters I'll have a explaination of why or why not to take that character there.
And I think I'll leave the "large" pictures of the stage. (but I like your idea):)

BTW, I'm posting from school...sooooo....I can't really see any pictures under the Threads you post. :/

Trillest

Smash Ace
@Mike call me Trill

also Mizu if your gonna provide reason's just keep it simple like 1line at max unless there is smth which you feel must be stated about a stage. Also reasons not to take x character to y stage are more beneficial then why you should (again unless its severely important)

^^

Bees!

Smash Ace
I like battlefield. It seems to mess with some characters air camping game. Also You can eat those shields up from below with Uairs. Just don't get on the platforms yourself. I don't think its a particularly good stage for R.O.B. But I generally don't have a problem there. However I wouldnt take gnw there.
6/10

TheMike

Smash Lord
Neutral stages usually don't have much information. And I think that everything about Battlefield was mentioned.

TheMike

Smash Lord
There are some informaiton about Battlefield from DuLL_RaZer posted on the Community Guide. Might help you:

Code:
+ Platforms can act as a natural "shield" which enables center stage camping/zoning while being in reach of the platforms with SH aerials.
+ Platforms can boost ROB's "underneath game" allowing him to land U-(move).
+ Can be flown under to help recovery options against vicious edgeguarders.
+ Can be flown over with ease to help recovery options.
+ The odd slant can be used to help land stage spikes
+ Smaller blast zones can help kill heavier characters earlier

- Platforms expose ROB's blindspots- both below and above.
- Smaller blast zones mean ROB can die earlier
- Characters with a strong "underneath" game will do exceptionally well here
- While you *can* camp the center/edges of the stage, things are a bit more cramped
- Larger characters or those with disjointed aerials (Bowser or Marth respectively, among others) occupy a TON of space and can control large portions of the stage (Snake!)

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
LoL, even if your camping game is limited, R.O.B. can be offensive in the middle of the stage in the ground. The main idea is to take characters upwards (D-smash, D-throw etc.) to take adnvantage of his U-x moves. And take defenitivly King Dedede here, as his chaingrab is limited + that his recovery has ending lag when he hits a platform. You can just predict it and even charge an Up-smash on him. The negative is that you can't camp as much, but you have egde-camping, so it's fine.

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
the platforms open up R.O.B.'s blind spots too much to be an effective pick. i personally never pick this stage because of this reason, there are some pros for R.O.B., as other people have mentioned, but when ROB can be kept above an opponent he has very few options to get back on the offensive, and it is kind of hard to camp, not impossible though.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I prefer this stage alot (BF), you can kill early here, even with your stale nair. And when the opponent is above you, just Uair all the time to pressure them, and when they are landing an a platform, BAM, Up-smash. And try not to be on the platforms so much then, SPIN. But I know what you mean. It's thanks to the low celing that you can kill very easy, that makes R.O.B. good here. Can't be juggled + early kills (but they can kill you early too). If R.O.B. was a fastfaller, then it's better on FD. If you know what I mean. ([^^]

This stage is to me (before, I hated this stage), an 8/10.

Take Meta Knight, King Dedede (!), Falco and Diddy Kong here in my opinion.
Don't take Snake (?), Marth and Mr. Game & Watch here IMO.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Looks good Mizu...
I like how you listed MK in both categories lol.
Should we add every char? Like consider Zelda, Mario, ect.

TheMike

Smash Lord
OP updated! Everyone please look over it and post below any changes that need to be made.
I think only the explanation on why to take or not to take certain here to Battlefield is missing. What stage will we be discussing now, by the way? And I didn't see any triple post. =0

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I've had non ROBs tell me BF is one of ROBs worst neutrals, but they don't know much. I actually like it alot, it the best neutral to land Usmashes on.

I camp, space, and spam from under the platforms, mixing up Utilt and Uair to juggle.

If they land and shield your attacks, hit them with a Usmash, if it doesnt poke itll probably push them off, leading to a jab lock.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Looks good Mizu...
I like how you listed MK in both categories lol.
Should we add every char? Like consider Zelda, Mario, ect.
Thanks guys. ^.^

I think only the explanation on why to take or not to take certain here to Battlefield is missing. What stage will we be discussing now, by the way? And I didn't see any triple post. =0
I'll get to this soon.
Also, the next stage...huh?
Ummmm....I'll let you guys choose! Choose the stage you guys wanna do next.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Did I tripple post? I edited, I promise! Sorry.

But BF is a good stage for R.O.B.! I think that we should discuss about the 5 neutral stages first, so my count goes to PS1. But you are the one who is in charge, so you decide.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Hey, BTW, you can use these:

I made them so I'll just have Mizu request for me to make them everytime you guys start a new stage.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I have the rest of the neutrals done:

Also as a suggestion, make the guide have collapses so you don't have to see a huge list of who and who not to take there.

Top Bottom