• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Export: Luigi

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Overview:
Oh snap it's WiiGii. Luigi is back from Melee with even less traction than before! His epic poses and shoyruken ability are sure to make this match-up exciting but you can't let that get to you too; just stay frosty and calm to have this match-up in the bag.

Kirby’s Pros and Cons:

+ Great gimper.
+ Solid defensive options
+ Strong kill moves

- Light = lower % kills
- Lack of useful projectile

Luigi's Pros and Cons:

+ Lightness helps avoid chaingrabs
+ Spammable projectile
+ Useful repertoire of moves

- Crappy recovery
- Predictable approach
- One/Two kill options
- Lightness = early kills as well

Watch out for:
Angled Up FSmash – It's his kill move, incredibly predictable but fast and deadly. Once you reach that 80% range, make sure to limit aerial approaches to insure a longer life.

NAir – Out of inhale, or even as an approach; it's fast and combos into itself easily. Kirby's Ftilt is useful to counter this attack.

'Nado – No, not MK's. 'Nado helps in recovery and as an approach, and has a surprisingly long duration. Kirby AAA jab combo beats/ clashes.

Fireballs – Don't eat damage unnecessarily.

UpB – Shoyruken!! Get *****. Or once you get to 80% avoid the aerial approach when possible.

How to win:
Gimp. – Do it. Luigi gets beat by Dair spike, or rock, or hammer. Use Dair spike though to avoid any chance of possible recovery.

Grab and jab – Grabs is a easy way to rack damage especially with a pummel thrown in for lulz. Dont bother chaingrabbing as Nair comes out extremely fast and with Luigi's general lightness you won't get the second grab.

Tilts and jab combo – Both are solid Kirby defensive options and will either clash or beat out Luigi's approaches (Nairs and 'Nado).

DSmash and FSmash – Fsmash is always our kill move, but with Luigi's horrible traction, Dsmash will send him flying @ higher percents for an easy kill or gimp set-up.

Bair – Bair the mess out of Luigi. What can Luigi do to a Bair you may ask? Not too much. But don't let it get predictable or they'll read and **** with UpB, Nair, of Up Angled Fsmash.

Spit out or Swallow?
It's your choice. Spit for the added damage or gimp set-up off stage, or swallow and have an effective approach/ defensive option. Watch out for the Nair that follows a copy of Luigi's power.

What NOT to do:
Approach aggressively – Luigi eats aggressive approaches for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. His fireballs rack damage and his Angled Up Fsmash will destroy you; also watch out for an UpB if your approach gets read.

Get in the air @ high percents– You're literally asking to get killed.

Forget to gimp – It's the easiest way to get a stock lead. If you don't attack his predictable recovery, you lose that stock lead opportunity. Watch out for misfire though.

Stages (in order of priority):
Jungle Japes – Worried about UpB? High ceiling. Can Lugi swim? Not really. Platforms? Yes, please.
Rainbow Cruise – Take Luigi's terrible recovery to RC and watch him die.
Frigate – Great against his bad recovery. Nice blastzone distance overhead.

Close blastzones? – Low ceiling means death as does horizontal blastzones being close.

Neutrals: Ranked and Explained

Key:
Good, Bad.

YI – Easy killing as far as gimping goes. The small indent helps to avoid fireballs while the platform gives you a way to approach without eating too much damage.
PS1 – The terrain will stop fireballs and 'nado for you. Just get him off the edge as soon as possible.

FD – Flat and open is never fun. It's not really bad though since it limits Luigi's approach as much as it hinders Kirby's.

Synopsis:
Patient 1,2 hits is what's going to win it. Don't try and land a string because you're too aggressive otherwise you'll eat a Nair in the face for no reason. Just a poke and a pop here and there will suffice to beat Luigi. Stay out of the air in your approach and remember to gimp that green machine if he's off the edge. It's a simple match up; so keep it that way.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Luigi and his C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER when it come's to our grab strings, lol. His Up-B and his F-Smash is hax. )=

Strangely, Luigi is one of a few characters that can be stopped with Stone when coming back on stage if he's using Side-B and Down-B. O_o

Tiersie

Smash Ace
I never really seem to have problems avoiding the fsmash, it has poor range when angled up. And it's only good when angled up soo yeah. Luigi is a character that you do not want to aggro. You'll get ***** if you do, but luigi has even worse approaching options than we do, so just keep him at bait with your tilts and try not to let the luigi get inside of you.

Pony

Smash Apprentice
Kirby can DI the Jab > upB, I think.
Either that or it just doesn't work on him.

AxelPurpleMissle

Smash Journeyman
the Jab upB doesn't work on him pony xd.

I just annoy a lot of kirby users by making them stay off the air, by using lots of fire balls and bair moves.
I don't know why people don't like this match up, I've never seen kirby as a hard match up to me.(DODGE!!)

When Kirby goes flying at the top to do his down B move. I cancel my missle (move away), I just simply dodge and try to do a dair on him.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Elaborate please.

Do you mean it cancels the recovery, or just hits him at a weird angle or what?
Side-B just cancels the recovery if Luigi fires on the side, of Kirby, (too late to remember the frames, lol), below Kirby's Stone just hits him. Risk/Reward performing this, this could either kill him, stop his Side-B to make his recovery more difficult, or the risk could save him because Stone launches upward, or if you cancel stone too late and fall below Luigi. B-Air when he's recovering is good, but there's a chance that his Green Missile will.... misfire. )=

Down-B just vs Stone Luigi will just get hit upward.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yes, our dair beats his sideB, upB and downB. I see our downB as a veeery bad option offstage against Luigi. Who's to say, you downB, hit Luigi, he goes high, misfires and recovers? It's easier AND much safer to just dair spike him.

And on-stage, utilt>bair true combos, and space with ftilts as always. If he approaches with anything, shield and bair/utilt OoS, or shieldgrab him.

Pony

Smash Apprentice
I ALWAYS have a hard time off stage against Kirby.. so try to get him offstage and Dair?

2 Cents and such.

HyL!

Smash Lord
don't be predictable with b air's, if you approach with it, i've managed to fsmash kirby's right out of it. use down air against luigi's which works way too much seeing as side b/ down b for luigi to recover sets him up for it. also, kirbys down b, if you use it onstage, it pretty much will get you fsmashed if the luigi is fast which i'd recommend not doing.

Edit-Careful with inhale, luigi can also fsmash you right out of it and KO

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I'll go ahead and drop a sentence:

Jab combo, while useless pretty much all the time, is surprising useful in this matchup. The downB approach gets beat my jab combo.

Keep discussing! More Kirby strategy discussion is mecessary!

Triple R

Smash Lord
My pro tip:

fsmash beats luigi nado. Many luigi's like to fall onto the stage with it because it can be safe against alot of characters. If they use it alot. predict and smash

TreK

Is "that guy"
What can you follow up after a fthrow at 0% on us ?
Oh and what you shouldn't be able to follow up but still do cus my DI on grabs is terrible ?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If we fthrow, you can nair before we can do anything... So, we'll be dthrow>utilt>bairing instead.

TreK

Is "that guy"
ok =V

Do you feel kills are easy to set up on Luigi with Kirby ? I mean edgeguarding aside
I feel like it's what I hate the most about this matchup, besides Kirby being as sexy as Luigi. We can't kill you, you can =@
That's why I'm asking that. I may play wrong...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You don't need to act all "i'm gonna be flamed now", we're not like that. :O

Well, I personally think Luigi is just about average in difficulty to kill. Since you slide so much, we don't need to fear hitting your shield as we would other characters, so we can afford dishing out smashes or aerials even if it means hitting your shield. Dsmash, fsmash bair and uthrow will be our killing moves as always: we frametrap you with fsmash and dsmash while you're landing/starting an attack/dodging/getting up from the ledge, or we bair you after refreshing it with pummels, or we uthrow you on a platformed stage.

The hard part about dealing with Luigi is that we have to stop our habits of running up to the opponent and continuing our strings, since your nair either clashes with us or beats us while we're starting up attacks due to how fast it is. We have to hit you guys at small intervals, so that you don't nair and hit us but we still hit you. And since we're very light, your killing moves are that much more dangerous... An up-angled fsmash can kill us ~80% if you guys have it fresh! That's a veeery low % kill, and forces us to play it safer when we hit that number (which probably is the reason your up-angled fsmashes are hard to land, because we play it safer).

So yah... We have an easier time killing you, but not exactly what I'd call "easy setups".

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Why not ask viper to put Luigi as the new stage discussion? I don't think there's been one yet.
Well because then, when Kirby players come to learn the MU abt Luigi, they'd have to go to a different thread JUST to have a complete knowledge of the MU. We'll keep the full Luigi discussion in here, yes?

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
I suppose, we'll do a more in-depth stage discussion later.

I'm not too familiar with Luigi, but I'd assume that stages with high ceilings and/or close walls would be ideal for Kirby, due to the kill moves of both chars, Kirby kills horizontally with Fsmash, Bair, and Dsmash; Luigi kills vertically with Dsmash, UpB, and Fsmash (Kinda, the DI you do at the beginning seems to mess with the trajectory or something, I'm not sure, but I know it does have ^ kill power).

I'd say it's about :kirby2: 60-40 :luigi2: seeing as we do XY:XY ratios. With Kirby's Bair spacing, gimp power (Dair for the win), and grab game, he can keep Luigi from dealing too much damage as long as you play it safe, otherwise you get hit with Utilt juggling, and his god-priority/speed Nair. If fresh, that thing makes a solid zoning tool along with his other fast aerials. Of course, you have to know the MU well, otherwise Luigi will abuse your overly aggressive game and punish with Dsmash, UpB, etc.

TreK

Is "that guy"
You don't need to act all "i'm gonna be flamed now", we're not like that. :O
Haha yeah I know, I used to 2nd Kirby so I lurked a lot down here (I mostly stopped playing him because I can't play offline as often as I would like to, I started playing like a wifi noob with him and got ***** when I used him in tourneys... that's why I say he's sexy ; mine is everything but sexy T_T)
I'm French, which means I learned English through school, which means all my English stuff are British, which means I always speak like a douche in English. Yay.
Don't worry, irl I'm stupid.

So yah... We have an easier time killing you, but not exactly what I'd call "easy setups".
Ok, that means I'm playing the matchup right I guess.

About stages, if it's not banned by either the rules or the Luigi, try to CP JJ, it's probably your best bet. Most Kirbies cp me to RC, where I'm forced to use Diddy. Luigi really can't kill on that stage if you're playing it right.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I'll go ahead and say Jungle Japes is our best bet. High ceiling and a generally good Kirby stage. Second, prolly frigate. Hope for the gimps and high ceilings. I'll write up the summary tonight.

Top Bottom