• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong AT: The B.O.A.T. Combo --- A Guide (4/6/10)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-
=
The BOAT Combo =-
-
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A Guide by Ingulit
v1.0

This thread is focused on Diddy's "B.O.A.T." (Buffered Out of a Throw, aka BOAT) Combo.
If you want to know what the rest of the thread will be about in advance, watch the following video:

The BOAT Combo: A Video

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-= What is the BOAT? =-
-
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Diddy's B.O.A.T. (Buffered Out of a Throw, aka BOAT) Combo describes one of
two very simple combos. I will refer to them as Type 1 and Type 2, and they are:

Type 1
F-Throw > Buffered Dash Attack

Type 2
F-Throw > BDACUS

The two types of the BOAT combo will only work on certain characters and at low percents.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-= Who does it work on? =-
-
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The BOAT combo will only work on characters that are not sent very far by the F-Throw.
The following is a list of the characters that Type 1 works on:

Guaranteed to work:
Marth
Peach
Pit
Donkey Kong
Fox
Sonic

Link
Ganondorf

Can DI+Airdodge, but works if you can bait the Airdodges:

Wario

Pikachu
Lucario
R.O.B.

Sheik
Luigi

Squirtle
Ivysaur

Bowser

Ike

Yoshi
Samus
Zelda

Captain Falcon

Does NOT work (thrown too far away/at a bad angle):
Meta Knight (:()

Snake
Diddy Kong

Falco
King Dedede (??)
Olimar

Toon Link
Kirby

Mr. Game and Watch

Charizard

Wolf

Mario
Ness
Lucas

Jigglypuff

Did not test/can't tell:
Ice Climbers
Zero Suit Samus

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-= Variations =-
-
=-=-=-=-=-=-

The following are the "combos" that are possible by using the two types of the BOAT combo.

Type 2: Diddy's "Banana B.O.A.T. Combo"
Glide Toss > Grab > Pummel (optional) > F-Throw > BDACUS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmQDt7DNBU8
30% Damage and you have a Banana in hand when it's done

This combo is the culmination of what I've been testing so far involving buffering.
This combo can be done at almost any percent, and its use differs based on how much damage the
opponent has. I'll split it up into two groups: low percent and high percent.

Low Percent: This move tacks on extra damage from the BDACUS after the F-Throw. Certain
characters might be thrown too high up for the BDACUS to hit all three times, but you'll still have
a Banana in hand and you'll be in a safe position.

High Percent: This technique allows you to chase an opponent after F-Throwing them with a
Banana in hand AND by utilizing Diddy's fastest form of horizontal movement.

Obviously this technique is best used when throwing the opponent from one side of the stage to
the other. Also note that Marth's Up-B can interrupt your BDACUS if timed well.

Type 1: B.O.A.T. > F-Air
F-Throw > BUFFERED Dash Attack > F-Air
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVjfTtnmK2U
0% to 30% on characters listed below

This one I came up with on accident when I messed up trying to record F-Throw > BDACUS.
After testing this a lot, I've come to the conclusion that this works on the characters listed above at
low percents. The weight of the character does not matter; it's how far they are thrown by the
F-Throw and at what angle. See the list above for the characters it works on.

Type 1: B.O.A.T. 0%-to-Death on Fox
F-Throw > BUFFERED Dash Attack > F-Air > Footstool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2j46te338w
POSSIBLE 0% to Death on Fox

This combo is, admittedly, very escapable, and will likely only work once if at all. If it works, however,
this is a zero to death combo (on Fox). I haven't tested this with other characters.

Type 1: B.O.A.T. > D-Air
F-Throw > BUFFERED Dash Attack > D-Air
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUJkNhhKriU
28% Fresh and Spikes

This is simply the B.O.A.T. combo with D-Air instead of F-Air. It does a little less damage and isn't as
guaranteed, but it can obviously spike if you get your opponent off the edge.

Type 1: B.O.A.T. to PSNL Setup
F-Throw > BUFFERED Dash Attack > Footstool (> PSNL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgHV92i3lEg
PSNL setup on characters listed above

This combo is really just the start of a much longer, much more humiliating combo: the PSNL. At the
time of recording, I wasn't proficient enough with it to have it be part of the video, but the idea is to
follow this up with a PSNL; I hope you can see it.​

DFEAR

Smash Hero
why arent u FF'n after u fair for further setups ?

continous dash attack buffering is cool

tibs7

Smash Champion
Bdacus is also good after you hit with a fair at like 30-40%

freakin fthrow -> bdacus is pretty hard to do, I have to change th way I hold the control to do it :/

but yeah this is pretty cool

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Timing the F-Throw to BDACUS was a pain, I'll agree. How are you changing how you're holding your controller? I didn't have to myself, but it might be easier if I do what you're doing. I'll try the F-Air > BDACUS and see if I can't get a video of that posted too.

Can anyone come up with a better name for the second combo? I don't really like it being "Diddy's Gonzo Combo."

EDIT: Okay, F-Air > BDACUS is REALLLLLY f***ing hard. I did it properly only once, with a fully staled F-Air on an Ike at 30%, and it only tacked on an extra 3-4% and was DEFINITELY not a true combo. It'd be surprising for Diddy to come flying at them after a F-Air for sure, but your opponent can still retaliate pretty easily if you do this. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I don't think F-Air > BDACUS at 30%-40% is a good idea.

EDIT 2: I added a list of characters the second combo works on. HOLY CRAP WORKS ON MARTH AND PEACH... I did NOT see that coming.

Player-1

Smash Legend
IMO fair is one of the easiest.

did you test Marth's up-b?

I have an idea of how chars can escape this, but I'll keep it to myself >.>

tibs7

Smash Champion
@ingulit: yeah bruz not a
combo but it's usefull on the odd occasion as it picks up a nana infront of you, can hit him and as p1 said it isn't to bad timing it after the fair.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I really gotta learn this bdacus thing! You're sure they can't DI up or airdodge? This seems fishy because the opponent has a really wide range to DI on all of diddy's throws.. except downthrow. Either way, gauranteed or not it should still work on alot of characters.

leffen

Smash Champion
honestly dude, no offense but this **** is really 99%% useless like most of your other stuff.
if you di up, or down and away or away it CANT combo, aka they can airdodge -> ps, dash attack wont hit, tech etc.

that dash attack pseudo combos was already known, and that if he does di towards u, uair ( safest to hit, worst on hit ) or fair , and that if he dis correctly its a tech chase.
also, if you where to get the dash attack, do a rar'ed bair into dair buffer tournaround dtilt / grab / side b / banana ( you can just hold a if you pick up one during dash attack ).

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
honestly dude, no offense but this **** is really 99%% useless like most of your other stuff.
AHHH MY FEELINGS

if you di up, or down and away or away it CANT combo, aka they can airdodge -> ps, dash attack wont hit, tech etc.
I tested all directions of DI + Airdodge timing I could think of (I did NOT test Marth's Up-B, however... That would probably break this combo), and it always worked solely because the opponent is at 0%. Because of that, they don't go as far and thus don't have much freedom in DIing, and the third hit buffered Dash Attack should always work on the characters listed (except maybe Marth, :( ). Also, the fact that the THIRD hit of the DA hits them is why the F-Air can't be airdodged by the listed characters; you're already near the end of the DA animation, so you can F-Air before they get out of hitstun/can Airdodge. I've been testing this with my friend all last night, so I'm pretty sure it works AT 0%. Stale moves might make it easier as well.

if he does di towards u, uair ( safest to hit, worst on hit ) or fair , and that if he dis correctly its a tech chase.
This is something that I really should add, because if they DI the third hit of the DA towards you, yes, you should U-Air instead.

EDIT: Okay, so it is clear, the three lists are as follows:

Guaranteed: The F-Throw puts the opponent in the right position for the buffered Dash Attack to hit, and for various reasons they will still be hit by it even if they airdodge.

Second list: The F-Throw puts the opponent in the right position for the buffered Dash Attack to hit, BUT if they Airdodge immediately they will not get hit. If they don't Airdodge, then the buffered DA is guaranteed; if they don't, you can NOT buffer the DA (IE, time it a bit later) and you'll hit them with the third hit.

Does not work: The F-Throw puts the opponent in a position where they are either too high or two far away for the DA to reach them.

The whole point of this "combo" is the fact that F-Throw puts the opponent in a position that will always get them hit by the third hit of the DA, which can then be linked into an aerial.

leffen

Smash Champion
i only tested it on marth just now, he will hit ground wayyyy before, just hold down and away ( Because of that, they don't go as far and thus don't have much freedom in DIing" is what i thought too, though they could DI too much

just try it =/

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'll be stealing the first 30% combo.

Probably not the bdacus though (which is also pointless when the 30% combo works and also puts them in a MUCH better position for followups especially if nanas are lying around).

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I've had someone recommend "Tossover Combo" for the combo's name (I REALLY dislike calling it a Gonzo combo, so I'd love to have any other name to call it). Post names for it and I'll pick the one I like best.

EDIT: I've decided to name it the BOAT combo. Nothing sounds cooler than when you grab someone and you say "I'M GONNA HIT YOU WITH A BOAT!" :3

AZ: The F-Throw > BDACUS could potentially be useful because if the opponent doesn't DI up like a pro, the combo should still hit at percents above 0% (unlike the Boat Combo).

Dekar173

Justice Man
I'm doing

fthrow > buffered dash attack

NOT in training mode and it appears Snake goes out of range.

Snake, Pit, and Marth go out of range.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Buffered dacus works against everyone listed from what I see (depending on DI, anyway).

Thanks be to Ingulit, for reminding me of the power that is buffered dash attack.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Nah I think they will be a little to difficult... Coz think you'd have to buffer the turn aroud aswell which means am extra input and yeahhhhhh I dunno lol

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Nah I think they will be a little to difficult... Coz think you'd have to buffer the turn aroud aswell which means am extra input and yeahhhhhh I dunno lol
a back throw turns you around automatically, so that isnt the case

maybe back throw has less knockback, so you'll be able to get other combos off?

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
This seems like a legit combo, but what about DIing the opposite direction--it seems like it's prone to escaping the last two hits?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
has someone tried dthrow, it doesnt send them very far, but you have to turn around
i cant seem to do it :(
You could NOT do D-Throw because of what you just said; you're facing the wrong direction (and afaik, you can't buffer a Turn Around AND a BDACUS at the same time). I did want to try B-Throw; it would turn you around, and I think it'd work.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
i was able to buffer a turn around sliding upsmash (short distance) out of dthrow...
Right, but you have to be able to turn around + initial Dash + Dash Attack + Up-Smash... all of which I don't *think* you can do if you're facing the wrong direction. I won't say it's impossible; I haven't tried it myself.

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
Ingulit, Peach can escape the B.O.A.T. combo by foating and Dair/Nair before the BDash Attack connects.
I've tried this against a peach mainer and everytime i try the B.O.A.T. he escapes that way.
Maybe someone else can test this to?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Ingulit, Peach can escape the B.O.A.T. combo by foating and Dair/Nair before the BDash Attack connects.
I've tried this against a peach mainer and everytime i try the B.O.A.T. he escapes that way.
Maybe someone else can test this to?
To be honest, I only tested Airdodges as a means of escaping the combo, so this unfortunately doesn't surprise me that much. Peach's Airdodge SUCKS, which is why I posted this as "confirmed."

With this in mind... I'm not sure if the combo really works anymore :\ I personally see more potential in the Banana B.O.A.T. anyway, unless someone can figure out a way to get that DA to connect.

Top Bottom