• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 32 Matchup Discussion: Mario

Padô

Smash Lord
Wario's World would be WAAAAY better without:

MARIO

Lucas discussion didn't get so much hype BUT this one should get I hope Boss drops out here and put some of his knowledge on this thread.

Good discussion.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Bite stuff, juggle, survive stupidly high, try to jump around fireballs rather than shielding them.

That's all I know, I recall finding it 60-40 feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Mario groundbreaks but if he gets you in a position where your feet are off the ground and you are about to air break watch for: nair
bair
upair
fair
b
sideB
downB
up smash
*fair might spike you* i am not 100% sure but im around 96% sure it will work.

Jump around the fireballs like stated above
watch the bair and punish
dont underestimate his nair, its crazy
upair comes out at frame 4 so its just as fast as our nair and takes priority
Dair is tough to beat for both of us, whoever is above wins basically
juggle with claps
shield punishing works well against mario
Grab alot
fart kills rather early
gimp him
get greedy offstage, but dont be dumb trying to fastfall clap or something with your bike on the stage
mario can 0-60ish us with annoying uptilts and upairs. dont get grabbed at low % its just as bad as falco imo.

60:40 our favor. mario has priority over us, but we can control him longer in the long run.

Padô

Smash Lord
I don't really recommend trying to approach too often from the air. Mario can bait our aerials really easily and punish us with Uair which is really fast and got good priority IMO, this and Bair are the best optiosn for Mario to rack up % from us honestly. I feel more confortable here by making horizontal approaches than vertical ones because of Uair, spaced Fair pokes and Bairs should get Mario in just a BAD position btw so abuse some of those and then juggle with clap as much as you can. Also, Mario's aerials won't kill you you if you DI them properly so all you have to worry about are his smashes, in special DSmash if fresh which is his faster option here, FSmash and USmash are easily avoided if you play carefully so, YOU MUST RECOVER AT 400%.

60-40 Wario

Just stated some point Dyno and Chair didn't mention. I recommend what they said about being greedy offstage and biting stuff.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Just stated some point Dyno and Chair didn't mention. I recommend what they said about being greedy offstage and biting stuff.
I didn't really contribute all that well haha. But yeah as noted, Mario's uair completely beats ALL of our aerials from below, so never rush anything.

However, as the issue is with most low tier characters, Mario cannot really cover his landing all that well. He can prevent being juggled to a certain extent, but his landing should often be where you catch him (hint: catch, just shieldgrab whatever he does, don't always try to fsmash). I noted fireballs earlier, the idea is that if Mario approaches with a fireball as cover, you can't really counter it through shielding. Never try to stay grounded when Mario takes the initiative to approach, don't even powershield the **** things. Just cancel them with (preferably) fair or try and catch him in the lag of whatever he tries to do. Mario isn't quite laggy, but he is not viable for a good reason and that's a lack of omnipresent safety. Him just spacing bair won't cut it, and his fair is excruciatingly bad,

Oh yeah, if you manage to get caught in an utilt, SDI like nothing else because it's gonna get evil at low percentages. All in all, just don't shield at lower percentages, but if you're getting into kill range, you can safely commit to shielding (after all, his grabs don't really set up into a kill at those percentages). Marios sometimes tend to bait you into a fsmash, never forget it's ******** range and generally don't rush the matchup. Don't attempt to Bite when you're not 100% sure it works, this counts for most matchups (especially the ones that matter).

It takes a lot of patience really, it's not a tough matchup to learn.

FFFF HIS DSMASH IS BROKEN

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Ok I'd say this match up is 60:40 in wario's favor. Wario's my favorite match up, I face one almost everday, and midwest is full of warios. My opinions are in red.

Mario groundbreaks but if he gets you in a position where your feet are off the ground and you are about to air break watch for:
nair

I agree with this, mario's Nair lasts long and comes out very fast. It's a tool a smart mario main will use against wario when up close, normally retreating Nairs.

bair

Mario's Bair is probably the one move to watch out for the most. It outranges most of wario's aerials, comes out faster than wario's Bair and knocks wario off his bike quite easily. The best way to overcome mario's Bair is attacking mario from above.

upair

Mario's Uair is very quick with lagless post effect so it will often beat wario's dair if both are done at the same time, but it will not beat it if wario's Dair is done first.

fair

Mario's Fair is terrible and far too slow to hit wario with. The only time you'll see Mario using Fair is when you're offstage trying to recover on your bike. You won't be getting hit with this move too much.
Unless that mario is smart like me B)

Fireballs

The one tool Mario will be using the entire match. He has an projectile advantage so he'll spam fireballs to force Wario to approach. Wario jumps very high so the only way mario can camp Wario is if he double jump fireball camps wario.

Cape

Not much use to Mario's cape in this match up other than mindgame use and caping his bike offstage. Not much to worry about with the cape.

downB

Fludd is normally underestimated but when used right, it could be used to lag aerials. Wario's dair, Nair, and Fair most likely. The water from the fludd act as hitboxes when the aerials come in tact, lagging the moves and giving Mario a chance to counter attack. Fsmash and Usmash for killing most likely.

up smash

Mario's Usmash is weak when staled, very weak. It's also the only move Mario really has against wario to kill him with since wario moves way too much to hit with Fsmash. Wario jumps a lot and will probably find himself getting hit with Mario's 9 frame, arcing Usmash at times. with good DI this probably won't kill wario till 130 if fresh, a little sooner if a sliding Usmash is done. When staled, expect to live to almost 200% =/ If you're hit with fresh Fsmash, expect to die much sooner.

*fair might spike you* i am not 100% sure but im around 96% sure it will work.

I believe it can be meteor canceld at that %, I'm not sure. Mario's Fair is very weak.

Jump around the fireballs like stated above
watch the bair and punish
dont underestimate his nair, its crazy
upair comes out at frame 4 so its just as fast as our nair and takes priority
Dair is tough to beat for both of us, whoever is above wins basically

This is very true.
juggle with claps
shield punishing works well against mario
Grab alot

Mario's grab range is pretty bad, so abuse that disadvantage.

fart kills rather early

About 60% near ledge.

gimp him

This is possible yet, gimping a skilled mario could be difficult. If you're not careful you can find yourself dieing at 0% from stage spikes and planking.

get greedy offstage, but dont be dumb trying to fastfall clap or something with your bike on the stage

Its better to be patient than greedy, Marios are used to aggressive opponents offstage.
mario can 0-60ish us with annoying uptilts and upairs. dont get grabbed at low % its just as bad as falco imo.

False. Uair chains can be DI'd of, they rack a lot of damage but its definitly not 0 death.
Mario has a hard time killing wario and wario kills mario so much faster. Besides that, Mario outranges, out camps, and racks more damage. Although wario has the better tools in this match up, do to better kill power and aerial mobility.

60:40 wario.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I also forgot to mention that Mario's jabs are 2 frames fast, faster than anything wario has on the ground. When upclose to Mario these can be sheild grabbed because of Mario's poor range but if you try to attack they will be beaten.

And np, if anyone has anything to input I'll stick around.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Ummm bo a lot of that stuff is just wrong. Mario doesn't out camp Wario and fireballs doesn't force approaches. They can be fair'd or dair'd on Wario's side. You don't even mention Mario's dair.......

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Ummm bo a lot of that stuff is just wrong. Mario doesn't out camp Wario and fireballs doesn't force approaches. They can be fair'd or dair'd on Wario's side. You don't even mention Mario's dair.......
uh.. I believe a lot of my stuff is right. It may not be 100% but I'm pretty certain I'm right about what I'm talking about. Wario can avoid fireballs easier than many other characters but he will still get hit with fireballs, Mario still has a projectile advantage, its not much but it helps.

And thanks for reminding me about the Dair. I didn't think it was necessary at first but eh I was wrong.

Mario's Dair also comes out very fast, has decent priority, and many hitboxes. If the mario suspects jab to be sheild grabbed or dodged they can pull out a retreating Dair and even punish spotdodging. The Dair even ends fast enough to do a following aerial such as Uair, Nair, Bair or just jump before Mario hits the ground. I guess it can be a tool to rival wario's Dair but only when he's beside him or diagonally above him. If Wario's directly above him, it can be dair'd.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
uh.. I believe a lot of my stuff is right. It may not be 100% but I'm pretty certain I'm right about what I'm talking about. Wario can avoid fireballs easier than many other characters but he will still get hit with fireballs, Mario still has a projectile advantage, its not much but it helps.

And thanks for reminding me about the Dair. I didn't think it was necessary at first but eh I was wrong.

Mario's Dair also comes out very fast, has decent priority, and many hitboxes. If the mario suspects jab to be sheild grabbed or dodged they can pull out a retreating Dair and even punish spotdodging. The Dair even ends fast enough to do a following aerial such as Uair, Nair, Bair or just jump before Mario hits the ground. I guess it can be a tool to rival wario's Dair but only when he's beside him or diagonally above him. If Wario's directly above him, it can be dair'd.
Hmm I think you're right I only pointed out a couple of things that I felt was wrong reading over it again outside of those and the lack of dair I don't think too much is wrong with it. Also think utilt is fairly decent for Mario in this match up.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Maybe, I don't use it much in this match up. If it's blocked or spot dodged I get punished. I use it sparingly and between Uair juggles sometimes. I don't really like it that much. On top of that, they're easily DI'd out of.

Top Bottom