• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ftilt and jab second hit

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Ftilt is often amazing at covering vast amounts of opponent's options, and functions similarly to jab. It sacrifices a second swing to be more frequently safe on hit due to featuring more base knockback. I now use this move quite often, because it's speed and range are quite amazing. In conjunction with platform pressure, and using platforms as umbrellas, this move creates a solid wall, as it is pretty safe on whiff (and not despicable on block). It also covers a good deal of chase options, as well as being solid anti air, and works well in conjunction with utilt. Though it has a tad bit more cool down than Marth is used to, it's a radical move that enjoys more of a passive defense than Dancing Blade offers, while not having the consequences of fsmash. It's speed is also slightly faster than fsmash with the hitbox coming from below, so it can actually be used to combo after certain attacks, when you combine the speed with it's reach. This move is good for extending your range of pressure for a threat, or protecting yourself from a threat when you anticipate appearing open, as dtilt only guards from grounded approaches. It is also quite effective in preventing the opponent from returning from the ledge. Lastly, when catching the opponent offguard, the tipper can sometimes K.O. around 140.

Jab is an amazing gtfo move that covers many options as well when one does not want to commit to Dancing Blade, or needed a larger hitbox. However, it is often noted that jab1 is not safe on hit. Jab was popularized in the middle of 2009 and I hope to see in the 2010 version of it's usage, people continue to use jab2 more often. To recap, jab is used similarly to ftilt in that its horizontal range is vast and the move is swift. Additionally, the move has excellent and deceptively good vertical range, and can even by used to platform pressure. It lacks the transcended priority of Dancing Blade which can often be good since it is not always wise to trade with such a weak attack (DB1) and often a clash results in Marth's favor since it resets both opponents to a favorable spacing for Marth. It's good for standard platform pressure, option coverage, combo/follow-up set-ups, and anti-air power. Jab sets the opponent VERY NICELY for Dancing Blade if they are knocked from the air (I've found over a 70% connect ratio in successfully landing Dancing Blade after jab1 if the opponent was knocked from the air.) It compliments dtilt very nicely in it's range and cooldown. Jab second hit also knocks the opponent into a very nice dtilt range, or sends them into a very nice follow up position, especially for a dash grab or DB1.

As a bonus note, Dash Attack is not entirely useless, but it's risk vs reward is very unfavorable, and at this time it is still inadvisable to use it in a serious match excepting for grab releasing Metaknight. Using a shieldbreaker out of a dash should satisfy your needs of a dash attack, as it has the range you require, and is relatively safe on whiff if used in this form. Shieldbreaker is an excellent follow up attack both out of a dash or a short hop if you have just hit your opponent twice in a row, as it can easily punish an airdodge due to it's ability to charge, and it has the range to actually connect in an additional follow up.

These tips are for advanced players only. Otherwise I would refrain from using jab or ftilt.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I miss Melee dash attack.

Shieldbreaker out of a dash though sounds funky.

Funky enough to work.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Enjoyed this read. I've found lately in certain matchups that Ftilt can be a big help. Against Pikachu and in Marth dittos in particular. If you know your opponent is going to commit to an approach, it's an excellent ground spacer. I've gotten some good results with it, but I hadn't thought to implement it more heavily, which I think I will try.

Great post Pierce.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
when you were friendlying neo in VC, didn't Neo do l think ftilt tipper or jab tipper? you on the tip platform and set up a nice fsmash tipper? XD so funny lol

other wise good read, ftilt is sooo g ood on ppl on platforms

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
^^ on platforms i only use jab, f-tilt, u-smash, or u-tilt to hit them off because it takes like.. 58 frames to complete a ff u-air and if you do a rising one they can just do shield drop + buttfck

good info pierce (info you already have privately shared with me in the past/some i already know BAHAHAHAHAHA)

/jealous marth boards

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Good read pierce. I use Ftilt in conjunction with Utilt, recently i one a set after pressuring with Utilt then getting the KO with Ftilt. learned something new about jab however, and going to see how dash --> Shieldbreaker fits into my game.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I started using jabs more recently myself.

I want to also say for some reason any more with decent spacing will almost always tip with ftilt. personally its somthing that I tip with almost all the time then again its only usful if your going tip with it and Dtilt is better if you aren't

great read

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Don't be mistaken. While tipping with ftilt is lovely, it's not at all a requirement for using the move.

Also, Neo, Nair more please? lol. Nair is the best platform pressure you have.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
imo jab1 is great in the Peach and Wario MU from what I've experienced.

ftilt also sends people on the lulziest angles, so sometimes I use it if I feel it'll be an opportunity where I could possibly set up for an easy edgeguard. I don't use ftilt too much though, I find other moves are usually better in a lot of scenarios.

Neon X

Smash Apprentice
Oh Pierce also you can pull out an Fsmash after a Jab and it will tip depending on the percentage. Sometimes it tips on the second hit. Also if you Jab Mk's tornado then Fsmash you have a slight Chance of tipping the tornado.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I like this thread, it explains the uses very well. Another win for Pierce.

But nobody cares about what I have to say... D:

diegot143

Smash Cadet
ive been watching some videos lately and can you stop a snake gliding up smash with a jab? I know you can stop many things with a jab, with good timing, and set your opponent up for any move, depending on their health i guess. But can anybody explain what else marth's jab can stop?

diegot143

Smash Cadet
you can, snakedash has horrible priority after the initial dash attack hitbox, hence why projectiles stop it so easily.
This is good, bc i find that snakes keep doing this dash every time i apporach them and its been giving me hella problems, cant get my daang sword on them lol

M@v

Subarashii!
Dash attack is always super risky. I dont use it much, except in guaranteed follow-ups(grab release on mk is one example)

I like ftilt since its an alternative to DB and got a lot of range. Plus its one of those under used marth moves people don't expect as much.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ftilt is pretty much a required move against characters with long range aerials for zoning safely from the ground (Diddy, Zero Suit Samus for example).

Diegot if you have any general quick questions its best to ask the Q&A topic :). Thanks for using the searching feature though!

grimAuxiliatrix

Smash Cadet
generally, i use dash attacks when falco is lasering around like a douche. its range doesn't really allow for him to be able to punish you fast enough if he spot dodges or something. i don't know, i usually just do it with leftover melee reflexes, and i get to run under some lasers too

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Hold on. You make it sound like you can use the second jab without the first jab. Can you do that?

BTW Mike is notorious for using Jab. He generally uses it after a Fair.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Oh Pierce also you can pull out an Fsmash after a Jab and it will tip depending on the percentage. Sometimes it tips on the second hit. Also if you Jab Mk's tornado then Fsmash you have a slight Chance of tipping the tornado.
wait what you can jab MK's nado? Doesn't nado suck up ur jab?

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I almost never use f tilt......

I said almost because sometimes ( on a rlly bad day ) I accediently tilt my control stick which makes me f tilt

jab is pro though

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Jab is cool, I sometimes try to hit them once or twice with it and try and F smash to see if it tippers. Worked once and it was pretty sweet, usually doesn't though so don't get too happy with it. But Jab to Dancing blade is sex.

Top Bottom