• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Love Is

This is my first thread in CM, so yeah.

I just quoted this from what I posted in Crashic's most recent blog.

Love is something that sneaks its way into your life, furtively at first, and begins to change you, usually for the better.

Love is like a plant taking root on a stone. In this case the stone would be the one who is afflicted, and the plant is love.

The stone is stubborn, hard, and, well, stone-hearted. But the plant nevertheless slowly and surely coaxes the stone, whispers to it, without the stone knowing it, and brings its roots down, down, deep into the soul of the stone.

After quite some time, the stone and the plant are acquaintances.

After quite some time after, the stone and the plant become very good friends.

After times after even longer, the stone realizes it loves the plant. The plant is content with itself, without really acknowledging that it is content, and without really having had that goal in the first place.

After years have come and gone, the stone has been crumbled into soil by the patient love of the plant, and the plant has died and become fertilizer for the soil.

And the stone and the plant, after years and years and not knowing they loved each other and finally realizing it at their end, have passed by.

And they have giving birth to a new plant.

--

Love is, in essence, and long strenous process, where neither party knows it is working its wonders, and that creates new life.

Smash Journeyman
So how long have you been in the whole PLUR scene?

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I came here thinking I'd find a tribute to Haddaway's What is Love. I still like it though ^^

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I came here thinking I'd find a tribute to Haddaway's What is Love. I still like it though ^^
I was thinking the same thing. I need that song on my iPOD. Nice Terra avatar btw.

Of course I don't know squat about love.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
My response to this thread in a nutshell is that love is not the same as infatuation. When you're in love, you'll know the difference. But don't use the word love or claim you're in love until that difference overwhelms you.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
If love is as magical as most of you are making it out to be, it is not attainable by humans.

If it is the more practical deep infatuation then its not a big deal.

GUYSGUYSGUYS

Let's be rational here.

Love is the product of an appealing visual stimulus or stimuli firing up your neurons, in effect releasing endorphines.

Really now.

Sexy Mirage

Smash Rookie
Love, love, love... I'm not a lover of love at all...

I think you could find another way to describe the love, I think plant and stone is a bit stange...

Btw, i enjoyed it!

D

Deleted member

Love is a decision you make, not something that you feel.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Umbreon is right that love is a decision, but I would also say that it's something you feel. They aren't mutually exclusive, by the way...

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Umbreon is right that love is a decision, but I would also say that it's something you feel. They aren't mutually exclusive, by the way...
I've been trying to come to terms with this idea lately.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
That has nothing to do with what Umbreon said.
He's stating it's a choice not something you feel, I'm pretty sure the one thing people generally can agree on is that it's a ****ing emotion, you don't just choose it. If love is a decision, then who you love is a decision, ie, your sexuality is a choice.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
It's a pretty big leap from "love is a choice" to "sexuality is a choice."

Besides, what Umbreon meant is that you choose to act on your feelings. Feeling a certain way is one thing, but how you nurture and support love through action is just as important.

At least that's how I read it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

Besides, what Umbreon meant is that you choose to act on your feelings. Feeling a certain way is one thing, but how you nurture and support love through action is just as important.

Saying how you act based on feelings is a decision compared to just straight 'love it a decision' is a pretty big ****ing leap too. If that's what he meant he could be just a liiiiiiiiiil more clear. Love is an emotion, what leads up to it is influenced by choices but love itself is an emotion.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer

Maybe it's more like being in a relationship is a choice, but love depends on a lot of factors, some of them not in your direct control. For instance, you can be in a relationship with someone and not love that person.

D

Deleted member

yeap. spot on.

edit: actually I think the nurture and support is infinitely more important and that they are not equal.

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
there are lots of words for love in greekian. brotherly love, principle love, getting married love, i cant remember the rest.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Saying how you act based on feelings is a decision compared to just straight 'love it a decision' is a pretty big ****ing leap too. If that's what he meant he could be just a liiiiiiiiiil more clear. Love is an emotion, what leads up to it is influenced by choices but love itself is an emotion.
stop being a douche for no reason.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
These few discussions have proven my previous point: No two people have the exact same definition for love.

Rarely do two people share the same concept of love. You can see that throughout this thread. People's defenitions can be affected by hearing others opinions. And people may start to doubt the truth in theirs if another drastically conflicts with their concept. But, none the less, people keep making their own defenitions of love. These vast definitions of love shape our own. But I rarely see love having a universal definition. Sure there are things as Brotherly love, or other base definitions such as this. But people each have their own thoughts on love, and they decide what are signs of love and what aren't signs. And they decide how love feels and how love should be. Ultimately, I believe that there is no one definition of love, and therefore, there will always be a clash of opininions when there is one discussion such as this.

This also proves another point: "Understanding people isn't hard, it's impossible."

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
These few discussions have proven my previous point: No two people have the exact same definition for love.

Rarely do two people share the same concept of love. You can see that throughout this thread. People's defenitions can be affected by hearing others opinions. And people may start to doubt the truth in theirs if another drastically conflicts with their concept. But, none the less, people keep making their own defenitions of love. These vast definitions of love shape our own. But I rarely see love having a universal definition. Sure there are things as Brotherly love, or other base definitions such as this. But people each have their own thoughts on love, and they decide what are signs of love and what aren't signs. And they decide how love feels and how love should be. Ultimately, I believe that there is no one definition of love, and therefore, there will always be a clash of opininions when there is one discussion such as this.

This also proves another point: "Understanding people isn't hard, it's impossible."
If love has no universal meaning, does that mean there's nothing wrong with me saying that putting spread on toast, or painting a wall is love?

If one person considers excessive neglect to be love, and another considers excessive affection to be love, how can two entirely contradictory things be love?

It's like saying that both God existing and God not existing is the truth. Saying love is whatever you want it to be is basically just saying there is no such thing as love.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Love can be interpreted in endless ways. In effect, not one individual theory is right, and not all theories, no matter how ridiculously troll-worthy they are, are entirely wrong. Numerous people think they have an idea of what love is, enough so that all the similar definitions constitute a category for the term. The same mindset in believing it impossible for two contradicting viewpoints to be referring to the same concept can be applied for a near endless amount of things. Love is what people think it is to them. If they think there is no such thing as love then they will say there is no such thing as love. If one chooses to deny or believe the other 'set' definitions of it(be it the literal meaning, the concept itself taught/learned via experiences or influenced by others, or be it what they themselves think it is), then that is what they believe. Love has no absolute meaning, and several interpretations(enough to make one think that there is no interpretations at all) of a universal(or close enough) meaning.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
If love has no universal meaning, does that mean there's nothing wrong with me saying that putting spread on toast, or painting a wall is love?

If one person considers excessive neglect to be love, and another considers excessive affection to be love, how can two entirely contradictory things be love?

It's like saying that both God existing and God not existing is the truth. Saying love is whatever you want it to be is basically just saying there is no such thing as love.
What you are saying is only helping my argument. I believe Love cannot be defined, just like you are saying. It's true what you say. One person can consider obsevive neglect to be love and another considers excessive affection to be love. This thread is another example of this. Just by looking at everyone else's post, it's obvious that each person has their own UNIQUE input on love. There are too many different definitions between people for love to have one singular meaning in everyones mind. What I'm trying to say is: Everyone has a different interpretation on love. Love isn't like a word, or term. It cannot be defined.

Love can be interpreted in endless ways. In effect, not one individual theory is right, and not all theories, no matter how ridiculously troll-worthy they are, are entirely wrong. Numerous people think they have an idea of what love is, enough so that all the similar definitions constitute a category for the term. The same mindset in believing it impossible for two contradicting viewpoints to be referring to the same concept can be applied for a near endless amount of things. Love is what people think it is to them. If they think there is no such thing as love then they will say there is no such thing as love. If one chooses to deny or believe the other 'set' definitions of it(be it the literal meaning, the concept itself taught/learned via experiences or influenced by others, or be it what they themselves think it is), then that is what they believe. Love has no absolute meaning, and several interpretations(enough to make one think that there is no interpretations at all) of a universal(or close enough) meaning.
Wht you are saying better explains what I am trying to say. I agree with you completely.

This also shows how fragile Truth is.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What you are saying is only helping my argument. I believe Love cannot be defined, just like you are saying. It's true what you say. One person can consider obsevive neglect to be love and another considers excessive affection to be love. This thread is another example of this. Just by looking at everyone else's post, it's obvious that each person has their own UNIQUE input on love. There are too many different definitions between people for love to have one singular meaning in everyones mind. What I'm trying to say is: Everyone has a different interpretation on love. Love isn't like a word, or term. It cannot be defined.
But the word love exists to pertain to something specific, not relative. If you're going to say that love in fact does not exist, and it is just interpretation, then I can just say the same about the word 'car'.

The point of giving the concept a specific word is so that there is a symbol representing something specific. If I consider cutting a tree to be 'car', that's a misrepresentation, it's not just about individual interpretation, language would be pointless then.

Top Bottom