• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SLAST - Smells Like a Smash Tournament: 7/10/2010, Wichita, KS

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Yo. This is Mr. Doom, get it right.

KANSAS WICHITA, KS​

In the Middle of "Nowhere"
Brings You

A smash tournament. Yeah, sorry for the corny title, but whatever. Kansas is trying to start a Wichita Monthly, featuring both Brawl and Melee. Are you interested? You better be.
This is the first tournament in the KS-IA-MO Brawl Circuit, so yeah.
GET HYPED!

Saturday, July 10th, 2010

Some people may love this, while others may hate it. But no complaints. We are adopting the MLG rule-set for SSBB, since MLG is fast approaching. That's right. We'll be using MLG rules and stages for SSBB. Don't be alarmed or confused; read below for more information.

Venue: Boston Recreation Center

NOTICE: This tournament is going to be conducted on a Saturday. I'm expecting at most 60 people, but if we break the 60 person limit, that's fine, too. GET HYPED!

Confirmed Attendants
Ok, in order for this tournament to run a lot faster, I need for you guys to pre-register like so. That way, I can have your name down ahead of time. So, make a post on this thread confirming that you're going.

Gamer Name: (Name)
State: (State)
Wii? (Yes/No)
SSBB? (Yes/No)
TV? (Yes/No)
GCN? (Yes/No)
SSBM? (Yes/No)
The parentheses are not required.

Tournament Schedule
Schedule of Events (all in Central Daylight Time)
09:30 AM = Collection of early Entry Fees.
10:00 AM = Doors open. Start setting things up at this time and play your friendlies.
10:30 AM = Registration begins. Stop playing your friendlies and register. Then you can resume friendlies.
11:00 AM = Bracket-Seeding begins. I will call in representatives from each state to look at the bracket. Last chance to play friendlies.
11:30 AM = Brawl and Melee Doubles begin.
02:00 PM = Brawl and Melee Singles begin.
05:30 PM = Wrap up of tournament. I want to see that this venue looks the same way it did before we got there. Got it?
06:00 PM = Exit the venue.
Please be punctual at this tournament and play your matches when it is your turn to play them. I will NOT hesitate to disqualify you if you're six (6) minutes late.
Please be here on time. Please be here on time. Please be here on time.

Notice: We don't have enough time to break for lunch, so you'll have to eat beforehand. After the tournament, we can go on the corner of Harry and Woodlawn and get some food there. That's if everyone comes to a consensus.

Address:
6655 E. Zimmerly
Wichita, KS
67207, USA
Map of Boston Recreational Facility

All is Brawl Link: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=9390#int5

If you still have problems, questions, etc., call Mr. Doom (316-214-4996) or AIM him at MrDoom8000.

Fees/Events:
The first event you enter will be $15. Any and all subsequent events you enter in will be $10 each per person. (You get $5 back if you bring a FULL setup, like a Wii, SSBB disc, and TV; or a GCN/Wii, SSBM disc, and TV)
Brawl 1v1
Brawl 2v2
Melee 1v1
Melee 2v2
No refunds! It messes up the pot amount.
Due to suspected time constraints, we'll only do Melee and Brawl Singles/Doubles.

__________________________________________________ _

HOUSING

Go to http://www.hotels.com/ and type in the address to Boston Recreational Facility (6655 E. Zimmerly Wichita, KS 67207, USA). It should show you ALL the hotels closest to the venue.

If you want free housing, however, please make a post in this thread! I'm pretty sure you want free housing, right?

__________________________________________________ ___

SETUPS

Please please PLEASE bring full setups(Wii/GCN, TV, and SSBB/SSBM). I can't stress this anymore than it has been already. If you bring a FULL setup, your venue fee will be waived. Setups MAKE or BREAK the speed of a tournament, so please help me out. If we want this done in a timely fashion, get it right by bringing a full setup. If you seriously can't bring a full set up, please bring a partial setup. Thanks in advance.
__________________________________________________ _____

RULES

SSBB

• This tournament will be a "Double Elimination." If you lose in the Winners' Bracket, you will be sent to the Losers' Bracket, and you will have to play many more sets in order to advance to Grand Finals. If you lose in the Losers' Bracket, it's GAME OVER for you
  • Each match should be a 3 Stock battle with an 8 minute timer
  • Items are set to "off" and "none"
  • Set format (In Order of Procedure) as follows:
  • For Game 1 of each set, the higher seeded Player/Team must strike three Stages from the list of Starter Stages. The lower seeded Player/Team must then strike 4 Stages from the list of Starter Stages. The higher seeded Player/Team must then choose the Game 1 Stage from the remaining Starter Stages. (*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match)
  • All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule: No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects. That also includes epic knees that freeze the game.
  • By entering the tournament you agree to have any tournament matches be recorded if possible (but that's highly unlikely), and be uploaded without the need for consent by the players in the match. The only time a match can be requested not to be uploaded is with extraordinary occurrences such as a power outage during the match. Reasoning: I believe that if players attend tournaments and play with the potential ability to win money at the expense of the community, the community is allowed to watch matches that are part of these tournaments that had money on the line.
  • The Mage's DQ rule is also in effect:
    2 Minutes Late: Warning
    4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
    6 Minutes Late: Loss of set
  • People who advance to Winners, Losers, and Grand Finals must not be late, for they are ALSO subjected to this DQ rule.
  • The Mike Haze rule: No shouting at the opponent to intentionally disrupt his/her concentration on the game. You do it, and you'll be disqualified. I know you guys like to be all hype and stuff, but people really need to concentrate.

Specific rules

King DeDeDe's Chaingrab: You CANNOT Chain grab IN PLACE. NOT EVEN ONCE. The small step CG is banned as well. Normal CG is legal. You can do Wall infinites only until your opponent's damage exceeds 150%.

Ice Climber's Chaingrab: You can chain grab in place only until your opponent is at 300%. Exceeding 300% is an act of STALLING.

Stalling

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling. Planking, however, is a perfect example. If I see it, you WILL lose your ENTIRE SET. No warnings! Play, don't gay.

Edge Grab Limit Rule

This is a new thing instituted by the MLG rule-set. Players are allowed to grab the edge a TOTAL of 35 times PER MATCH (assuming the game goes to timer). The numbers can be viewed AFTER a match on the results screen. If you exceed the limit even by a single ledge grab you will lose that game. If both players exceed the limit by a single edge grab, the game ends in a DRAW and it will be replayed. This is only if players run the clock to time.

Stages

Starter:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokémon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Castle Siege

Counter-pick:
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheum
Rainbow Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 2
Green Greens
Norfair
PictoChat

Banned: Everything else. YOU CANNOT PLAY ON ANY OTHER STAGE. PERIOD! MLG RULESET, REMEMBER???

Now that that's over with, let's discuss the Melee rules, shall we?

SSBM

• 4 stock, 8 minutes
  • Items OFF
  • Sets are best-of-3 except Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals, which are best-of-5.
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • Wobbling is banned.
  • Master Hand is banned.
  • Glitches such as IC's Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are banned.
  • Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • The Mike Haze rule: No shouting at the opponent to intentionally disrupt his/her concentration on the game. You do it, and you'll be disqualified. I know you guys like to be all hype and stuff, but people really need to concentrate.

We're using the Pound 4 stagelist with a few tweaks:

Neutral (Singles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokémon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokémon Stadium

Counterpick (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Banned: Everything else.

Stage Striking will determine the stage for the first match of the set.

After each match:
  1. Winner announces stage ban
  2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
  3. Winner chooses their character
  4. Loser chooses their character
Doubles-Specific Rules:
  • Life stealing is allowed
  • Friendly Fire is turned ON

And that's all for the rules.

PAYOUTS AND POT CUTS

Pot Cut
10% of all the pots will be for maintenance.
10% of the brawl pots will be for the circuit championship pots.
The more you support, the bigger the pot gets later on.
The rest of the pot is distrubuted as follows.

The PAYOUT for 1v1 for BOTH Melee and Brawl is as follows

1st = 60%
2nd = 30%
3rd = 10%

The PAYOUT for 2v2 for BOTH Melee and Brawl is as follows

1st = 60%
2nd = 30%
3rd = 10%

Payout is subject to change if the attendance increases dramatically. We may even have to find a bigger venue if that happens...

If you still have problems, questions, etc., call Mr. Doom (316-214-4996) or AIM him at MrDoom8000.
If you see that there is some information missing, please call Mr. Doom or AIM him so that he can get it right.
Thank you in advance! And prepare yourself for the first tournament of the circuit!

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000

Confirmed Attendants

Kansas
(Lux)
Affinity
Anxiety
4rce
Clel
Domo
Feng Shui
Fragbait
Holms
KKG
MJG
Mr. Doom
Ratman
S Word
Steeler
The Real Inferno
vVv Fino
Ya Rly
Zebra
Zeton

Nebraska
MegaRobMan
Trent

Missouri
Clove
Cook
CTX
Ex-Dove
Future
Nicole
The Scrub
Tmacc
Watkins

Oklahoma
Typ_Ex

Minnesota
Dark Disciple

Iowa

Texas

If you do NOT see your name here, that means you haven't given me your information in this thread or elsewhere.
In order for this tournament to run a lot faster, I need for you guys to pre-register like so. That way, I can have your name down ahead of time. So, make a post on this thread confirming that you're going.

Gamer Name: (Name)
State: (State)
Wii? (Yes/No)
SSBB? (Yes/No)
TV? (Yes/No)
GCN? (Yes/No)
SSBM? (Yes/No)
The parentheses are not required.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to tell me what events you intend to compete in.

HOUSING

Fragbait has Missouri
Domo has Oklahoma and Texas
Steeler has xxxx?
The Real Inferno has Nebraska

If you need housing, make a post in this thread. Try to get here by Friday night. If you can't make it, then we may have some problems. The venue opens at 10AM on Saturday, and we only have an 8-hour slot as of now.

That's all for this post.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
*domo voice* D*MN

ill be there

btw get the venue confirmed ASAP! dont be like me and gigabrawl 3 and confirm a venue before actually confirming it D:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
and there is also going to be ssf4/bb/etc right??

lol mike haze rule

Clel

Smash Journeyman
Quick thing, MLG's rule for the Bowser/Ganon/Kirby/D3/Ike Suicide kills are that the match will be restarted at 1 stock 4mins. Unless they changed it.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Yo, this is Mr. Doom, get it right.
Original Post has been updated.

For you melee players, discuss what stages should be added/removed. We have more than a month and a half before the tourney begins.

Also, I'll be getting a call later on this afternoon from the guy I've been speaking to regarding the venue.

One more thing, as the day of the tournament draws near, we should discuss housing assignments.

Karmacide

Smash Lord
and there is also going to be ssf4/bb/etc right??
I don't know if Mr. Doom worked things out with Petro since the date and venue is still tentative, but here is the original announcement by Petro for May Mayhem.

May Mayhem
May 29th
Wichita,ks
10am - 6pm (10am is setup and registration, officially begins at 11am)

The games as of now are SSFIV, Tekken 6 and Melty Blood. There is room for one more game, we can take a majority vote to determine what game people wanna see, TvC, CvS2, Alpha 3, Puzzle Fighter, Pocket Fighter, Darkstalkers - whatever.

The events are as follows:
SSFIV Singles and 2v2 Teams
Tekken 6 Singles and 3v3 with a point system (Tekken Crash, FT5 points win, can change character and MIGHT be double elimination since I think there was complaints last time)
Melty Blood (Swiss style)

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Yo, this is Mr. Doom.
Of course Ike has a suicide attack: his Up+B attack. It's just highly unlikely that both players will die at the exact same time.
That's reeeeeeally stretching it. lol

Speaking of suicide KO's rules, where are they in the MLG rule-set? I thought that's what this was going by.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Hmm... I must have misread the MLG rule-set. I do not see anything about suicide KO's rules. This creates a small problem, but it can be rectified.

Clel

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I re-read through it and saw it doesn't say anything about it. Closest it gets is Rule 17, which doesn't really talk about suicides, just if the match is tied as time runs out. I could've sworn it said something about the SDs but maybe I was wrong.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
An update on the situation: I just got off the phone with Petro. The venue is not the problem. The problem is that we need more people to express interest in this tournament. If we can get at least thirty (30) people to attend this tournament, then we will be set. I'll get back in touch with Petro this weekend regarding how many people would want to attend. All we need is at least thirty (30) people to show up.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I appreciate your help, Stealth Raptor. I have also talked to some people down in Texas and in Oklahoma as well. Perhaps Iowa and Colorado could come, too? And maybe Winnesota Kansasota Minnesota.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Yo, this is Mr. Doom.
An update on the situation: I just got off the phone with Petro. The venue is not the problem. The problem is that we need more people to express interest in this tournament. If we can get at least thirty (30) people to attend this tournament, then we will be set. I'll get back in touch with Petro this weekend regarding how many people would want to attend. All we need is at least thirty (30) people to show up.

eeeeeeeeasy mode.

I posted the link to this in the DFW thread yesterday. Without a door fee, we'll easily get 30 people to show up.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Can you remove the suicide rule from the OP? We don't want people getting confused about that.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
MJG, could you post my tourney link on AiB for me? I really haven't been to AiB too often, so I wouldn't be familiar with it, so I would greatly appreciate it if you would do that for me.

Affinity, the OP has been updated.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
Arghh, I believe I have a wedding to go to this day :(
just say grats when you get back from the tourney. you can explain everything like this... their marriage should last forever, and the tourney is only one day. if they want you there for one day of it then they clearly expect to be divorced very soon and its not worth your time to celebrate the farce they insist upon to merely attain gifts... its all very logical.

MJG

Smash Hero
Ok Mr. Doom. Ill make Affinity and I the Organizers and what not for the thread on AIB...Ill probably copy and paste the info in the OP (at least most of it) onto the thread and the SWF link as well.

EDIT: Ill just make you and Affinity the Organizer. I thought it was required that I must be one.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Thanks, MJG. Just link to me the AiB url and I'll update it on the OP. Mr. Doom is signing out for tonight.

Top Bottom