• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Graphix Gaming Tournaments (MD/PA)

Bones0

Smash Legend
(Green = Probably, Red = Maybe)

PEOPLE ATTENDING:

CUBES/WIIS:

TELEVISIONS:

Graphix's Smash Picture Gallery

Thanks to everyone who has recorded videos:
EPsilon933
JCaesar
Winston
UltimaScout

SCHEDULE OUTLINE:
11:00 AM - Doors open; Warm-up friendlies
12:30 PM - Registration
1:00 PM - Doubles starts
2:00 PM - Singles starts (or as soon as Doubles finishes if it runs over)
5:30 PM - Pro/Am Doubles Tourney
7:00 PM - Draft Crews
8:00 PM - Pack up

VENUE:
Graphix Gaming Center
8 Newport Drive, Forest Hill, MD 21050
(410) 420-6811 (Venue phone)

- If it's your first time coming, just look for the venue across the street from the Pizza Hut. There is a huge banner above the entrance.
- There is plenty of parking, both directly in front of, behind, and nearby the venue. The reserved parking is just reserved for our customers, not for employees.
- There are plenty of chairs, as well as space for setups.

GENERAL RULES:
- Respect the equipment. Whether it belongs to Graphix or a fellow smasher, no one wants to have to worry about their stuff.
- All food must be eaten in the party room. You may take drinks to your station while you play, but just be careful not to spill anything.
- If you have a suggestion, idea, complaint, anything, do not hesitate to contact me either through this thread, a PM, or by phone or email.

FOOD & DRINK:
- There are many places to get food nearby, such as Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's, Subway, McDonald's, and even a grocery store.
- The venue has two huge vending machines with many different kinds of energy drinks, sodas, and snacks.

PRICES:
- Venue Fee: $8
- Singles: $10 per person
- Doubles: $20 per team
- Payout Scheme: 60/30/10

MELEE RULES:
Apex/Pound 5 Rule Set

PRO/AM DOUBLES TOURNAMENT:
We all know Melee is an amazing game, but because the game has so much depth and the skill gap is so huge, many new players are intimidated, and rightfully so as they all go 2 and out with little to no feedback on how or why they just got matched up with the best player round 1 and destroyed by a low tier character. Obviously that is a result of seeding, and messing with seeding at all would only serve to undermine the integrity of the competition at the tournament. Instead, I have devised this free entry doubles tournament to promote comradery among players of all skill level and at the same time have some fun competition. Here's how it will work.

Based on the rankings of the results from singles, doubles teams will be created starting with the best and worst players. The higher you placed in the bracket, the lower the placing of your teammate will be. This is a perfect chance for the better players to give the newer players some solid advice without having to awkwardly point out stuff that is obvious to them as they destroy them in a 1v1. It should be very natural to want to help out your teammate since helping him play better will ultimately get you both farther into the tourney. Other than creating the teams, it's just your average doubles tourney. If anyone has any suggestions or concerns about this idea, please let me know.

**** you, college. I can't go.

Oh, wait, I read that as April 22. I can go.

That's better! lol You down for recording again then?
YES! If you can set up a tv and wii with component cables, expect some really **** video quality (60 frames per second and not interlaced).

Bones0

Smash Legend
Videos are linked right at the top, or if that's an awful long way to scroll, just click these:

Melee

Brawl+

I've been mad busy with school work (oh the hypocrisy), but if you don't have to work this Friday you should come early like around 10 until around 4. I might be able to play later in the day if you have classes, but I'll have to double check. Also, I'm assuming you can bring your Wii so let me know if you can't for some reason. Also, also, try to bring any tube TVs you have. Also, also, also, you should main Marth.

kidneybeans

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm...I have to proctor a final exam that day. If I can get get someone to sub for me, then I can make it possibly.

kidneybeans

Smash Apprentice
Just to let you know, if I go, I now have a no-lag TV. So I can bring a TV and GC/melee.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
This looks like it's after school ends and is only like ... 2 hours away. My roommate and I could probably come :lick:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Okay man, no problem. I was kind of planning on not doing Brawl+ again anyway, just cause it's tough to run multiple games with different setups and everything, and especially cause I don't have any of the Brawl+ stuff for my Wii. If you ever want to hold a Brawl+ event and need a venue definitely hit me up or just call the owner and tell him you talked with me.

Bones0

Smash Legend
i want mms
I bet you do. lol If I don't get knocked out of singles first round I will MM you for $1. I know it's a hefty amount, but it's take it or leave it. XD

Also, everyone try and bring as many setups as possible! I'm trying to find some more TVs, but I'm having trouble finding non-laggy ones.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Do you live around where C3 was hosted? Because it looks like a 2 hour drive for me too and I'm actually in MD ... unless I'm thinking about the wrong tournament.
Also, are you really going to do payout to 4 places? This tournament doesn't look terribly huge o_o

Bones0

Smash Legend
Do you live around where C3 was hosted? Because it looks like a 2 hour drive for me too and I'm actually in MD ... unless I'm thinking about the wrong tournament.
Also, are you really going to do payout to 4 places? This tournament doesn't look terribly huge o_o
It's not terribly huge... YET. ;)
But seriously, if there isn't that many people I might do top 3, especially for doubles since teams split, but there's still over two weeks for people to take notice so I'm pretty confident we'll have more people coming than what is listed right now.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ill try to come and bring a car of people.

good **** bones for hosting and also for promoting, sending PMs, and keeping up with everything.

ill come just to show my support for that.

message EGGM, he may come down

Bones0

Smash Legend
ill try to come and bring a car of people.

good **** bones for hosting and also for promoting, sending PMs, and keeping up with everything.

ill come just to show my support for that.

message EGGM, he may come down
Thanks! I've sent over 20 PMs trying to get more people, but I haven't been going to tournaments for as long as most people so I was kind of worried about being too spammy or something. I really appreciate your support. Also, I PMed Eggm on Sunday, but I don't think he's going to respond. >.>

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Where is the metro station?
I wouldn't mind, but I'm not confirmed for going yet. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to though, but it's almost finals week and I don't feel like asking my parents about it ¬.¬
I should know in like, a week and a half or so.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
maybe i'll grab a carload from Shady Grove. It's like 50 mins out of the way but if the gas $ is right, I can help ^^

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't think there is any public transportation that comes that close to the venue, and even if there was, my car has two seats... and my passenger door doesn't open (don't ask).

Plank is too good.

Top Bottom