• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mini-Guide to Transferring Control Stick Boxes

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I initially took these pictures for Lovage (no homo), but I decided to share.

Intro:

Well, this guide is not for you unless you've opened controllers before and have primitive knowledge of controller parts.

Everyone who's tinkered around with the innards of a controller knows that replacing buttons such as A, B, X, Y, Z, Start, the D-Pad, and the stick COVERS is REALLY REALLY easy.

You also know that with another screwdriver, you can also mess around with the L and R mechanisms.

So what?:

What you PROBABLY don't know is how to replace the actual box that is responsible for the feel and movement of the actual control stick. You probably think it's either impossible or possible only with soldering or wiring.

This is not true! You can do it, and it's very easy!

Procedure:

Materials:
-Controller
-Tri-wing to open controller
-Small flathead (if it works for the L and R triggers, it will PROBABLY work)

1. Remove the plastic appendage from the back of your controller's motherboard (No, you won't be removing it permanently. There's two little slots above the levers for the L and R buttons that hold this plastic thing. Just wiggle it around a little bit, and you'll figure out how to take it out).

This is what it will look like after you take it off (you can also see the two slots that hold the big plastic thing in place).

After that, you should find TWO small screws on the back of your motherboard near where the control stick box is. These fasten the box onto the motherboard. Unscrew them.

Now, go to the front of the motherboard where the control stick box is. You should see two black fasteners attached to the motherboard that hold the box in place. Pull these off to the side to pop them out. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT BREAKING THEM OFF. Just pull them steadily and you should be fine.

After this, the control stick box will slip right out.

Just a side note, when you put it in a different controller, make it so that the little white knobs on the control stick box align with the black fasteners. This is important to the function of your control stick.

THESE ARE THE KNOBS:

THIS ALSO WORKS WITH THE C-STICK

To transfer it to a different controller, just do the exact same process in reverse. Is it worth it? Let me work it. I put my thang down, flip it, and reverse it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Not sure why nobody has posted in here yet.
Great resource :)

I might grab the link to this later and put it in my resources thread.

highfive

Smash Lord
I demand a sticky for this. I had a brand new controller with a ******** joy stick that stopped working. My old joystick is fine on my other controller but I've never been able to figure out how it works.

I also have two questions.

1. Can they be different brand controllers?
2. Can I use a C-stick be used as a joystick?

2 isn't that important. I'm just curious.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I love doing this kind of stuff. Makes me feel smart! I've opened soooo many controllers from Geneses, N64 and GC. I've even tried doing this before this thread I failed though. :chuckle: Now I would like to try it again! :bee:

Quite the great ingredients here for a sticky. :)

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
1. Can they be different brand controllers?
I'm curious about this one too. My wavebird's stick is completely useless now, and I don't want to mess up one of my good controllers to try this out. I have a semi-decent gamestop one that looks like it might work ok with it.

Great resource, by the way.

Top Bottom