• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Export: G&W

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Overview:
Mr. Game & Watch returns from melee, but he’s extremely buffed. His smashes are extremely powerful. All smashes and dtilt have IASA frames, and dtilt is disjointed, hits around his entire body and can cancel into itself so it has a constant hitbox. His dair is now a stall-then-fall aerial, and more moves than most would care to talk about have been buffed.

Pros+Cons:
+Bucket Breaking practically makes him a heavyweight, but can still escape combos like a lightweight.
+Recovery goes extremely high, has invincibility, has a parachute come out at the end that can be used for free horizontal distance, and can be canceled into any aerial. It’s pretty much unstoppable.
+Quick, powerful smash attacks, with the added bonus of having IASA frames, though they can be seen coming.
+Can catch 3 energy-based attacks in his bucket (including the FC shockwave and kirby’s bacon).
+Dtilt can be used to create a continuous hitbox due to the IASA frames.
+Bair goes through our bair.
+Aside from his roll, spotdodge and dash, G&W is faster than Kirby.

-Chef goes in random arcs, making it hard to use effectively.
-Side B is random in attack strength and effects.

Watch out for:
Dtilt- Comes out on frame 6 and can be used into itself with the IASA frames, negating all cooldown and startup. It also cancels your fsmash, is disjointed, hits all around him, and has more range than almost anything you have.

Dair- A powerful stall-then-fall aerial which is slightly aimable. The key has an aerial hit and a hit when crashing into the ground, not to mention it spikes in the beginning. Try to perfect shield the aerial hit and then grab him after he hits the ground.

Bair- A high-priority multi-hit attack that has a grounded hit as well. It beats your bair. The best thing to do against it is predict (as it’s fairly easy to see coming) and shieldgrab before the grounded hit.

Uair – An attack with a windbox high above the hitbox which he can use to juggle you, and, on some stages, kill you by forcing you above the upper blastzone.

How to win:
Use stone on his recovery – One of the few matches you can actually use stone semi-consistently. His recovery is extremely predictable, and the stone’s hitbox stays out long enough to hit through the invincibility most of the time.

Stall offstage- If you’re being edguarded, simply float just out of his reach. You have 5 midair jumps and a pretty good upb, while all he has is one midair jump and his upb. He’ll soon be forced back onstage, while you can recover safely.

Kill him upwards- Bucket breaking is less effective on vertical momentum, so try to use usmash, up-angled and/or sourspotted fsmash or hammer for kills.

Fight more grounded than usual – Your aerials have less priority and range than his horizontally, and he can deal with vertical approaches with uair and dair. His ground game is easy to see coming.

Bait & Punish – Many of G&W's aerials leave him vulnerable if he lands while doing them, so try to bait aerials and punish. Judge also has a large amount of cooldown lag.

Techroll his Dthrow- If you don’t techroll his dthrow, there’s nothing you can do to avoid a dsmash. At higher %’s, it will kill you.

Spit out or Swallow?
This is a matchup where spit is almost always much better than swallowing. Kirby’s bacon can be absorbed by the bucket for some reason, even though a Game & Watch can’t absorb another Game & Watch’s bacon. Swallowing also gives him a free dair to your face, maybe even knocking out the power you just got. One of the only good points for swallowing is tricking them into using their dair when you actually spit them, making them kill themselves.

Stages (in order
of priority):

Pokemon Stadium 1 – G&W has nothing really good on any transformations, except for dtilt locks on the fire and rock stages and a jab lock on the fire one (you have locks there too), while you have something good on every single transformation. CP this. However, expect it to be banned.

Battlefield – Top platform allows for moderate % uthrow kills. Use it for your neutral.

Yoshi's Island (B) – Same reason as battlefield, but it's harder to get a good height on the platform and the maximum height isn't even as good as battlefield's. Use it for your neutral if g&w stage strikes it.

Brinstar – Close boundary lines are a minus, but you have more exploitable things here than Game & Watch. Lava can kill him for you at reasonable-high %’s. The bad thing about this is that Brinstar basically cancels your ground game, and you lose to G&W in the air. Something you should know: if he’s positioned right, his dair will break up the entire flesh bridge and he will fall to his doom.

Jungle Japes – The high ceiling (highest in the game) makes killing G&W difficult, and bucket breaking is more effective on horizontal kill moves. Choosing dark blue or black costume makes him almost invisible. He can easily survive going into the water. Dthrow techchasing is easy to do on the small platforms, and he can abuse nair. Don't take him here.

Rainbow Cruise – He has a dtilt lock on the boat, but so do you. Once you get off the boat, he can abuse way more things than you on all the disappearing platforms and carpets. He can get tons of uair and usmash kills on the third (horizontal) part, especially against chars with multijumps. Beware of uthrow->uair as you get back on the boat. Ban this stage.

Synopsis:
If you can get a grab at the beginning of a stock, do a dthrow->utilt. If you know the G&W will dair, then walk in the opposite direction of where he’s facing and regrab or reverse fsmash. Punish him whenever he puts himself in lag, generally with a dthrow (or uthrow when he’s close to death). G&W has a large advantage over you in terms of stages; kirby’s second best stage against him is Brinstar, which is better for him.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Ah, how Mr. Game & Watch becomes more predictable every time I play him. Just when Brawl got released a few months after he was one of my biggest threats.... now after you know what move is coming when he uses it, Mr. Game & Watch becomes... predictable. The Kirby match, he's still dangerous, hishax Smash Attacks makes game changes happens, much like his Judgment 9, but a random chance of that happening, right? =P

Copying him would just be a waste of effort and time like trying to copy Marth, I'm pretty sure everyone know when Kirby uses Sausage he can oil it up (LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME TO OIL UP, LOL!!!), and remember his oil is hax pretty useful. The core reason why this match up is not a living hell, would be he's is light, meaning if we lay a strong attack, he would get KO'd around late 80ish percent on a fresh smash attacks, or B-Air near the edge. The question is, how to punish a smart Mr. Game & Watch main.... well that's why this match up isn't a cake walk. -_-;

He may be predictable, but he can get away with a lot of his attacks, even his D-Air he can move into another move, hope for this match up is to know when his attacks are going to end when he's attacking you. Good news of this match up is... Kirby is not easily planked. =P

Bad news.... Rainbow Cruise is not a good stage to take him. )=

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Once again I have MU experience because I've played Hylian's and UTDZac's G&W; I'll just leave a few remarks:

Our bacon can be bucketed by G&W; weird huh?

Expect DAir,...a lot. So don't let it bother you and just shield it, then shieldgrab ;].

The recovery is insanely predictable so rock it or DAir early, otherwise you'll get hit due to UpBs extreme speed and priority.

Expect BAir a lot- I sometimes find FCing GWs BAir works moderately well since GW is already BAiring he can't bucket. Try and get GW in the full brunt of your FC, right in the heart of FC to spike him down with you on the downSwing of FC then get away or shield from the getup attack.

DONT GET TECH-CHASED.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Once again I have MU experience because I've played Hylian's and UTDZac's G&W; I'll just leave a few remarks:

Our bacon can be bucketed by G&W; weird huh?

Expect DAir,...a lot. So don't let it bother you and just shield it, then shieldgrab ;].

The recovery is insanely predictable so rock it or DAir early, otherwise you'll get hit due to UpBs extreme speed and priority.

Expect BAir a lot- I sometimes find FCing GWs BAir works moderately well since GW is already BAiring he can't bucket. Try and get GW in the full brunt of your FC, right in the heart of FC to spike him down with you on the downSwing of FC then get away or shield from the getup attack.

DONT GET TECH-CHASED.
Viper mentioned how predictable a Game & Watch can be. I'm not saying that that itself makes this match out favor but it isn't an extremely hard match. I like what you said about Dair, because you really do expect it, alot! I like to just walk my merry way under him and when he does use it I keep walking then just do a reverse F-Smash if he is at the right %.

On another note, Bucket Breaking is annoying... don't use your KO moves and stale it unless you KNOW he won't be able to cancel his momentum.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
FYI never try to gimp Gdubs, his ^B actually has some invincibility at startup and trying to rock it puts you in a very bad position. My recommendation is to get him to a large stage and bat everything. His bair isn't that good, bait it and punish it. You can always punish with a falling bair if you're close enough and don't get hit by the last hitbox.

Dair is mostly meh, you should be spacing to keep gdub away from you anyway so he shouldn't be directly above you anyway. he can pull some aerial ^B shenanigans with it but if he does that you're pretty much screwed anyway.

Don't inhale.

Tech the dthrow

BE PATIENT. Control the pace of the match and let him make mistakes and punish. Don't complain about how he can easily approach you because you have 5 midair jumps and air dodges, don't let him get in your face.

He kills insanely early though, not much you can do there and that's the only edge that I believe he has in this match.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Viper pretty much summed it up.

All I really have to add is that copying his Chef attack is probably your best option if you manage to get an inhale off. (Only way you're really gonna get it off is by predicting his choice of ledge option since he out ranges inhale with about anything)

Not only will is give Kirby a safe projectile with fairly good priority, but you can use it to bait his bucket. After he buckets an attack, he has an INSANE amount of ending lag. You can seriously run up to him, taunt, and use your grounded hammer before he can get out of the animation. It's fishing with real 2D fish.

Just keep that in mind if you ever have trouble killing him.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You can seriously run up to him, taunt, and use your grounded hammer before he can get out of the animation. It's fishing with real 2D fish.
Yeesh, this is a little bit too exaggerated... You can't run up, taunt and grounded hammer, but you DO have guaranteed semi-charged up-angled-fsmash and usmash/dsmash options. Killing him off the top, or off the sides? That depends on the stage... Pay attention to which is closer: the ceiling, or the sides, and then usmash/dsmash for a top kill, or fsmash for a side kill.

SkylerSilver

Smash Journeyman
Not only will is give Kirby a safe projectile with fairly good priority, but you can use it to bait his bucket. After he buckets an attack, he has an INSANE amount of ending lag. You can seriously run up to him, taunt, and use your grounded hammer before he can get out of the animation. It's fishing with real 2D fish.
Also keep in mind that GAW gets a free dair at Kirby's head when copy him. Most of his moves are telegraphed and easy to see coming. Getting techchased is dangerous cheesy. Bair isnt to hard to punish. blahblahblahblahblahblah

45:55 GAW's favor. or 60:40.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Heheh. Yea, I do love to over-exaggerate. <3

60-40 G&W sounds about right. Kirby just sort of gets out-ranged and out-raged across the boards here. It's one of the few match-ups I prefer Dedede over Kirby for. Totally winnable though.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll say 60/40 if you can't read Mr. Game & Watch moves (B-Air, D-Air, N-Air, D-Throw, etc), and 45/55 or even if you can read what he's going to do next. But I do agree that King Dedede can handle this match up much better than Kirby.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Optimistically, I want to say 45:55 in favor of G&W because he can KO us rediculously early (we possibly can,too) and his attacks are fairly simple to see coming and punish. Stay more grounded than usual and bait his attacks. I say the 45:55 ratio given that opposing player skills are equal.

Edit: I haven't seen a G&W player come here yet.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How would Kirby punish a retreating bair lol? I should learn this.
Keep shielding and walking closer. Eventually he'll run out of space in which to do retreating bairs, and when he does something else (which he will, since he'll run out of space), react accordingly.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I'm kinda just guessing, but I think you can fsmash a retreating bair G&W right after they land, but I can't say for sure. There is one G&W main around here, but I don't play him too much.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yea i was thinking of fsmashing it aswell. also any kirby uses up b oos? lol
Bad idea, since it has loads of startup. It's not a good OoS option at all, startup is like 15-20 frames, opponents can land, shield it, then punish you easily. : /

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This matchup is like easy mode for G&W. I'm convinced he wins 7/3.

Kirby has like no options to stop G&W's superior poke and rushdown strategies, and he gets UTTERLY destroyed offstage and dies easily due to being a lightweight, and he gets **** juggled or techchased to death. While Kirby really can't do much of anything that's really gay to G&W.

If you're beating a G&W, they probably are dumb and don't know what spacing and edgeguarding is.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
This matchup is like easy mode for G&W. I'm convinced he wins 7/3.

Kirby has like no options to stop G&W's superior poke and rushdown strategies, and he gets UTTERLY destroyed offstage and dies easily due to being a lightweight, and he gets **** juggled or techchased to death. While Kirby really can't do much of anything that's really gay to G&W.

If you're beating a G&W, they probably are dumb and don't know what spacing and edgeguarding is.
Horrible MU synopsis. If the G&W loses to a Kirby, the G&W is dumb and stupid?

I myself find G&W to be an easy MU (although disadvantaged), and DEFINITELY not 3:7 for us, never. No matter which G&W mainer I play, everything he does is just so god**** predictable it pretty much eliminates every doubt I have of the MU.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It doesn't matter. Kirby doesn't have the tools to do anything to G&W.

G&W can easily space outside of Kirby's shieldgrab range and shield damage will eventually make his approach work. D-tilt ***** pretty much any offensive maneuver Kirby tries, and shieldgrabbing Kirby out of his unsafe kill moves is **** every time.

And Kirby gets destroyed like no other character offstage by G&W. He has ZERO OPTIONS to avoid getting hit offstage by G&W's edgeguarding, and G&W has some very powerful attacks like his F-air and D-air which are great kill moves against lightweights. Combined by the fact he is extremely easy for G&W to juggle as well, Kirby just really doesn't have anything on G&W.

In every match where I see a G&W lose, they fail HORRIBLY at edgeguarding, and it's these dumb players who also space poorly. It's ridiculous.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I believe you're underrating Kirby a LOT. There's a reason he was #13 for 3 consecutive tierlists (I still think he's high tier :mad:), and it's not because he's a terribly limited character. You're talking about G&W as if he was a hard counter against Kirby, when in reality he's not. By your experiences you feel that G&W ***** Kirby, but by mine I feel that Kirby doesn't get ***** by G&W... And my Kirby is quite good and my opponents as well, I truly believe watching how the opposing G&W spaces and which options he chooses to do, then reacting accordingly, makes the MU MUCH easier. Remember that Kirby doesn't need to approach by attacking, we can just shield while edging closer until you run out of ground in which to space bair, then force you to do other things and punish you for them.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Finally more fuel to the fire! (Although completely biased and inaccurate fuel, it's fuel nonetheless).

GW does shut down a lot of Kirby options. And by a lot I mean almost all. We have properly spaced BAirs as a defensive option but not offensive because that'd mean having to BAir first and not winning against GW's BAir.

Most important part of this matchup is grabs. Shieldgrabs to be precise. GW is supremely predictable to the point it's painful to watch. Just shieldgrab the **** out of every single f'n attack.

GW has a pretty nasty defense with DTilts, BAir walling and DSmash>DSmash traps. So get the percent lead and go defensive. Apparently while GWs options are noticeable immediately SOME GW USERS (hint hint) don't realize how mediocre his approach/offense is. Everything about the approach is blantantly straightforward and is easily shieldgrabbed. The defense is the worrisome part. Basically just don't give up the lead to GW and if you do, properly shield and grab approach OR mindgames all day.

@ A2ZOMG- What Kirby main(s) have you played? I kinda figure that you don't have too much experience with Kirby is you'll give it a 7:3 MU ratio but hey, that's jjust me I suppose. I can understand how this is a difficult matchup but please try and give an unbiased read of BOTH characters.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
He acts like all we can do is grab and use fsmash. And lol at G&W using dair offstage.

He may have good spacing tools, but everyone knows them and they're really telegraphed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He acts like all we can do is grab and use fsmash. And lol at G&W using dair offstage.
You better play me. G&W's D-air is legitimately one of the best edgeguard aerials in the entire game. If he's not hitting you when you're offfstage, HE ****ING SUCKS. Kirby really can't avoid G&W's aerials offstage at all. Recovering low is not an option when he can just ledgedrop B-air/D-air to punish it. Recovering high can be punished by Up-Bs and F-airs. Stalling far offstage doesn't work since G&W can chase down and edgeguard and still make it back.

Due to how light and easily edgeguarded Kirby is, this is why the matchup is **** in G&W's favor. I can just be completely aggressive when Kirby is offstage and win. And Kirby doesn't have nearly as good of tools for stopping G&W's approach as the other way around, and is generally much less competent at setting up any kind of reliable traps.

He may have good spacing tools, but everyone knows them and they're really telegraphed.
G&W isn't just about spacing. He has some excellent pressure and followups. He has solid juggle and edgeguard traps as well, and Kirby is pretty bad at avoiding G&W's traps.

A G&W that knows how to mix up fullhop F-airs, Jabs, crossover N-airs, B-air fakeouts, and grabs in his approach will get in pretty easily. Kirby's walling options are basically retreating B-airs, which are not safe against G&W's F-air or if he powershields, while retreats to ground moves are shut down by intelligent use of B-air which outspaces Kirby's shieldgrab fairly easily. Anything that G&W successfully baits (including shield) can result in a grab, which leads to massive ****. And in case you forgot, Kirby has no options when he is above G&W or offstage.

The last noteable Kirby I played at tournament was Teba...which was like 2 years ago or something...then I had some friendlies with Falconv1.0's Kirby. But aside from that, most G&Ws don't do this matchup right because from my observation, none of them besides UTD Zac know what the definition of "edgeguarding" is. G&W pretty much wrecks Kirby's **** with better spacing tools, approaches, and WAY WAY WAY superior offensive options in general. Once Kirby takes a hit, it pretty much leads to massive damage and eventually an easy edgeguard KO.

Kirby is like just as predictable as G&W, but without the **** and solid tools and options to escape traps. So he's actually more predictable in general due to not actually having options and gets ***** much more easily...so I stand the matchup is 7/3 G&W, and that your opposition sucks, and I'll prove it through video analysis and pointing out all the missed edgeguard opportunities.

Yeah and anyhow Kirby is overrated. Not by a whole ton, but he is definitely not high tier. Okay so he has random shenanigans on Falco...and idk he can duck under a lot of ZSS's moves, yeah whatever, he still gets his **** utterly wrecked by the other top tiers and most characters who are actually high tier. His matchups are most balanced in the mid tier by far.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I disagree with A2 about a lot of match-ups I think but he's right about GW vs Kirby. It's one of GW's best match-ups next to jigs.

And dair offstage is absolutely amazing I can't believe someone laughed at it.

The GW's you are playing are predictable because they are bad. Really, pretty much every GW is bad save UTD Zac. Bair shouldn't be used as an approch unless it's a cross up or frame trap(because the move is really bad). GW does kind of shut down kirbys options, and no you cannot kill him easily due to bucket breaking. He can live from fsmash at like 190% if you hit him across FD.

Also, I think GW isn't a very good character. Kirbys probably better honestly lol it's just he really really really destroys in this match-up. Most annoying thing is grab from kirby. That's it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
They both suck against a number of top tiers, but G&W has more favorable matchups that Kirby in general...save for maybe Kirby has those shenanigans on Falco and Wolf. If there is any reason why I would even remotely understand why Kirby is "better", it's probably vs Falco.

And then G&W is better against Wario and Pikachu and then most of the guys who are mid tier (and lower)...which should include Kirby lol.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Why did Kirby's tier position suddenly come up? o_o

If every G&W is bad except for UTD Zac, then we could easily say ChuDat's the UTD Zac of Kirby. I mean, inherently G&W is a very straightforward character, and if only UTD Zac can play him "good", then I guess the same can be said about ChuDat and Kirby.

camden

Smash Apprentice
When you say that GnW can go 7:3 on Kirby, you really do have to consider the fact that Kirby isn't stopped completely in his approach. I mean, I don't too much, but if Kirby vs. ICs isn't 7:3, then GnW sure as hell isn't going 7:3. Kirby can approach him, it just isn't as safe as his other options. Like others have already stated, shield-grab everything he throws at you, and/or punish accordingly. Fsmash doesn't seem like a very reasonable punisher, there's too much startup. I always liked the idea of dthrow, wait for a possible dair, then return to more shielding and grabbing.

Hmmm, aerially, I'd have to say falling/retreating bairs. Don't let that **** get close to you in the air. I hate when GnW's think it's fun to uair you for some reason. >:( Oh, throwing in surprise dairs on him can help if he screws up his approach.

A2Z, you sound like you're trolling us, although it does give us something to talk about. I'd say this match is still 60:40 GnW. Him being able to outrange us and outweigh us with his bucket is :(.

Again, don't troll me, I'm a MU discussion virgin.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
UTD Zac generally places better than Chudat. =)

I'm a very serious person. I don't actually troll anyone. You just don't know what you're talking about, and really just have never played a G&W that utilizes his tools intelligently. Since I happen to be much smarter than most G&W players, and since I'm here, I'm here to explain why this matchup is clearly a hard counter in G&W's favor and what you should be doing to critique your opponent if you feel like being nice.

Firstoff I don't know how Kirby does against the ICs besides the fact it's terrible for him, but I don't care. It's not relevant. In fact I'd probably be glad to argue that G&W for several reasons is definitely a much harder matchup than the ICs, since G&W doesn't have problems like Nana being unreliable or being very gimpable, and the ICs really don't have as many dangerous edgeguard and juggle options.

You can't shieldgrab G&W if he knows how to space and mix up his footsies and pokes, and you get ***** HARD if he grabs you, since G&W can either techchase him really well, or set up an easy mode juggle since Kirby's escape options are some of the worst in the game against G&W. Also most G&Ws don't F-air NEARLY as much as they should on stage, and if he starts using F-air mixups to aid his wall breaking and walling attempts, you're in for a hell of a time trying to hit him safely at all. Oh and let me remind you, Kirby gets his **** utterly wrecked if he goes offstage, so it's not like G&W has to worry so much about stale moves. He just needs to get you offstage where Kirby has like zero options for avoiding hits, and then go ALL OUT.

Kirby really doesn't have the tools to wall G&W out consistently, while G&W does a better job of walling Kirby out, and can actually afford to be offensive in this matchup when Kirby's options for escaping traps and pressure especially in this matchup are ridiculously abysmal.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Even if you do get us of stage, anybody who can DI properly would DI up. With that said, if you come after us we can stall for a while of stage (not much mind you, but more than you) before you have to return back on to the stage yourself. You have a midair jump and an Up-B, we have 5 midair jumps AND and Up-B (and airial hammer). You probably have one or two attacks to throw out before the law of Brawl calls and tells you it's time to go back to solid ground. I'm not exactly sure where the zero off stage anti-gimping options Kirby has are.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W has better priority than Kirby, and his midair jumps are very easy to read, and the hammer has huge commitment. He does not have the option of recovering low and still eats guaranteed damage if he's above G&W and STILL has a problem getting back down to the ground. He gets ****ing wrecked offstage. Whether he attacks, airdodges, tries to retreat/stall, he WILL GET HIT. And since he's light, he basically is guaranteed to get killed easily at some point.

G&W moves faster than Kirby, so he does just fine chasing Kirby around offstage, in fact it's probably a bad idea to retreat from G&W offstage if he just still F-airs you anyway.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I don't really think your idea of kirby having no options offstage is valid. In theory metaknight should never let kirby recover, yet practically kirby does recover. I don't see how G&W could possibly edgeguard kirby better than metaknight. You do realize there is a height where kirby has a really easy time recovering just right about the height of the ledge. Even metaknight has trouble edgeguarding kirby at this level. All G&W can try to do to you at this level is fair, and G&W has to commit to that.

On stage I wouldn't worry about G&W that much. I really don't have much to say here besides don't get grabbed, because it can get ugly. Otherwise I would advise the G&W to never sit on stage and charge smashes on hope we run into them. This situation is extremely easy to powershield and punish. Don't do it.

In general I find the hardest thing about G&W is his upb. It's basically his get out of jail free card on stage. Best you can do is punish him for it afterwards on his landing.

I do think this matchup is slightly in G&W favor, probalby 60:40, but in no way is it as bad as Mr. A is trying to say.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't really think your idea of kirby having no options offstage is valid. In theory metaknight should never let kirby recover, yet practically kirby does recover. I don't see how G&W could possibly edgeguard kirby better than metaknight. You do realize there is a height where kirby has a really easy time recovering just right about the height of the ledge. Even metaknight has trouble edgeguarding kirby at this level. All G&W can try to do to you at this level is fair, and G&W has to commit to that.
Yeah, your opponents suck, and really, most people just fail miserably at edgeguarding. But G&W does edgeguard Kirby better than Metaknight, since he actually can KO with various aerials.

Oh yeah and G&W has D-tilt and D-air. And both are really nasty if you get hit by them. His D-tilt keep in mind reaches downwards more than MK's. If he really wants to, he can also edgeguard with ledgedrop -> Up-B.

And really, Kirby doesn't have options if G&W just wants to bum rush him offstage. He isn't fast, and his jumps suck and don't elevate him quickly. All he can do is just be a sitting duck basically, or hope G&W randomly runs into a Down-B or something (and then Kirby gets ***** for recovering low), since G&W just bashes right through everything else as if it was nothing, and airdodging sucks a lot for getting past him.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Ok so far I'm understanding this...

1) A2 isn't gonna change his opinion.
2) A2 underrates Kirby.
3) A2 has played bad Kirbies.

Couple them all together, and we get this.

A2, just tell the G&W boards to put it at 70:30 their favor if you want to, but as you can see, every Kirby mainer here says it's not a **** MU. It's not like ratios matter, in MU discussions we're supposed to be discussing how characters can work around their opponents. All you're saying is "Kirby can't do anything, he geta destroyed, he has no options", and this is NOT so.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
lol no, your opposition just sucks. And you just don't understand how badly G&W shuts down Kirby when played correctly. All you are just assuming is that bad G&W players do poorly when the space badly and run into all of Kirby's defensive shenanigans without mixing up footsies, pokes, and grabs in any intelligent shape or form.

And even Hylian came here and agreed with me that G&W destroys this matchup, and he goes to a lot of tournaments.

Both Teba and Falconv1.0 are good Kirby users, although those matches I had happened a really long time ago. It doesn't take a brain to realize that the only reason G&W players aren't utterly destroying this matchup is by watching a video and noticing that most of them DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU CAN EDGEGUARD WITH D-AIR and then also forgetting that F-air is AMAZING onstage.

Seriously...it's ridiculous how awful G&W players are at matchups. Virtually no G&W player plays even 1/3 as effectively as I expect them to. Except for UTD Zac basically, and sometimes PGN has some good matches.

I'm probably secretly one of the best G&W players just because I know matchups, and because 90% of the other players don't know how to adapt or find tricks.

And yes, Kirby literally can't do anything. His B-air spacing is not safe when G&W has F-air spacing as well, and it is not wise for Kirby to challenge G&W's B-air or D-tilt with it. Like...the only thing Kirby can do is walkaway -> F-tilt/F-smash. Which is basically a fundamental trick available to every character in the game and loses to intelligent stage control. Spotdodging G&W is not wise usually, so it's fairly easy for him to get grabs, and then he ***** THE LIVING **** OUT OF KIRBY when he's in an advantageous position.

How is this matchup not 7/3 G&W? Yeah a better Kirby player can do shenanigans that will make him have to actually think, which is why the matchup is not 8/2, but when both characters are using their options optimally, Kirby still gets solidly wrecked in almost all situations and is never really at an advantageous position.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So, G&W users can be bad, but Kirby mainers can't be bad? I've never heard of Teba before (he's never gotten enough recognition to even be mentioned around the Kirby boards), and Falconv1.0 isn't a good Kirby player. All he does when he comes in here is complain about how utterly ****ty Kirby is, and I've never seen any good tourney results from him, nor heard from people who have played him in friendlies.

I KNOW G&W vs Kirby is NOT a **** matchup. Hylian agrees with you, but almost (if not) all of the Kirby boards agree that it's not a **** MU. And to your claim about being one of the best G&W secretly... I can say the same about me, but would you believe me? You've never even heard of me from other players, and you've never seen me play against other top players! Your answer is my own to your statement.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Horrible MU synopsis. If the G&W loses to a Kirby, the G&W is dumb and stupid?

Yes pretty much this lmao
and there are so many dumb G&W's out there lol so sometimes people get the wrong impression about this match up;/
I'll admit,that i've faced very few kirbys but from the ones i have faced offline/online, i notice a few things.
Nair ***** most of his aerial options,except kirby's bair. It is very easy to punish kirby with this lol.
Uair messes up with any set ups he may have in the air
G&W can up and B out of any grab combos that kirby has.He can also up and B if kirby tries to corner him with bair.
G&W has more kill options against kirby than any other match up,especially offstage. Dair destroys his recovery.

Those are are the few i could think of=l
This match up is easily 60:40 G&W favor but it isnt impossible.
Kirby can kill G&W around 90%ish but his fsmash/upsmash/dsmash aren't very reliable/safe here.

Bair is your safest option vs G&W.

So, G&W users can be bad, but Kirby mainers can't be bad?
you don't get it
there are ALOT of bad G&W mains out there lol
alot

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I KNOW G&W vs Kirby is NOT a **** matchup. Hylian agrees with you, but almost (if not) all of the Kirby boards agree that it's not a **** MU. And to your claim about being one of the best G&W secretly... I can say the same about me, but would you believe me? You've never even heard of me from other players, and you've never seen me play against other top players! Your answer is my own to your statement.
Yeah, you have me that I don't have a lot of proof that I'm better than most G&W players. My point is however that chances are, you have never ever played a G&W main who actually knows what all his options are. Believe it or not, he has good options and mixups, and he destroys the **** out of you when juggling and edgeguarding. If you can't consistently wall him, and he destroys you when he gets in, he obviously ***** this matchup.

And your boards are HELLA stupid (a lot of discussion how Kirby loses to ROB? Madness, that is in fact one of Kirby's best matchups). But I guess since you've needed to live with an inferior character, your mainers are better at adapting to matchups.

But G&W still destroys the **** out of Kirby when HE adapts to the matchup.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Ok, so I'll agree that this matchup is extremely annoying and pretty hard.

Recovery- Off stage, is we're below the stage level line (below the top of the stage) then we'll have some difficulty recovering but realize that if you're that low, it may be better to just Kirbicide the ******* for pursuing. Once it happens once, GW will be more wary of jumping out again when you're below stage level. If you're above stage level, use hammers to get horizontal recovery and then wait for GW to 'edgegaurd' and work around his attack and extremely predictable upB. It's just like the Metaknight matchup and if we can recover against MK will all his offstage options, Kirby can recover against GWs offstage options.

Onstage Defense- Shieldgrab and retreating BAirs. It's been said before but that's generally what needs to be done. Everything else is just too risky.

I believe this MU isn't 7:3 (and before A2 responds with his rebuttal know that yes I did thouroughly read all your post unbiasedly and can certainly see why you'd think it's 7:3) and is rather 60:40 ior at the worst 65:35.

GW really outprioritizes Kirby and hits harder but is Kirby shield/shieldgrabs everything it nullifies the max damage he'd be taking and gets hits in for hits taken. As far as offstage I still maintain "If we can recover against MK, we can recover against GW". It's simply following the same strategies to avoid the edgegaurd until you're back onstage or on the edge.

Biggest part of the matchup- CPing. Sure, on FD Kirby is probably going to have an impossible hard time avoiding GWs DAirs and with the completely flat land those techChases are gonna get annoying to avoid BUT how about on Brinstar? Or Battlefield? Or my favorite PS1? It evens up the matchup a lot to be able to CP and THAT'S something that has to be taken into account when calculating MU ratios and discussions. So to even up the MU a bit, Strike FD, Ban RC, etc., etc.. Just take GW to where you feel comfortable and where Kirby will have a better chance of winning.

And for the record I've played both Hylian AND UTDZac and I'd still maintain it's not 7:3.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
actually^

G&W does really bad on FD
YI too

Your best bet is probably to go there

Top Bottom