• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Congratulations Mew2King!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Congratulations to Mew2King on his victory over Ally in Championship Finals to become the first ever MLG Super Smash Bros. Brawl winner!

With some nice cash in his hand, he'll be the competitor to beat going into Columbus. Hopefully the finals were recorded and someone can post them up here when they get uploaded.

Feel free to discuss placings of the top players and congratulate M2K here.

MLG Link: http://www.mlgpro.com/content/page/304627/Mew2King-Wins-Orlando-Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl-1v1-Event

MLG Orlando, the first MLG Live Competition of the 2010 Season and the first-ever MLG event featuring Brawl, has ended. Out of 184 total entrants, Mew2King (Meta Knight) beats Ally (Snake) in the Finals 6-4 to earn himself $2,500 and the respect that comes with being the first-ever Champion. Ally earned $1500 for his second place finish, with Tyrant (Meta Knight, Marth) earning $1000 for third. Congratulations to these three for their impressive performance!

The Top 8 featured a healthy variety of characters, including a Luigi and a Pikachu played respectively by Big Lou and ESAM, and a multitude of close matches. Expect further updates soon on mlgpro.com and be sure to follow the Live Blog on Sunday for the 2v2 tournament.

Mew2King is the first-ever MLG Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1 Champion.
RESULTS:
1st: Mew2King (MK)
2nd: Ally (Snake)
3rd: Tyrant (MK)
4th: Esam (Pikachu)
5th: DSF (MK)
6th: ADHD (Diddy)
7th: DEHF (until I find out otherwise) (Falco)
8th: Big Lou (Luigi)
9th: Atomsk (Dedede)
10th: Mike Haze (Marth)

11-12th - Fatal, NickRiddle

13th - LeeMartin, Cloudstealth, CO18, HRnut

17th - Chudat, Havok, Candy, Lain, DewDaDash, RedHalberd, DMBrandon, Felix

25th - Shadow, Dao, MK18, Kismet, TearBear, Bschung, MeroKnight, Seibrik

33rd - San37111, Snipa5800, .X.Factor, TheReflexWonder, Ksizzle, Kelzorz, Xaltis, gallax, CaseyErtle, lou_4222, Shaky3, Choice, Snakeeee, TonyTheTiger1122, Zex, Sheik1287

49th - Superwolf, Fearless_FL, Poltergust, LessthanPi, MaskyFL, Nerd, Mav, Ajax, CuraSK, Sky, Tommy_G, Affinity2412, YoshQ, ScaryLB59, Pierce7d, D1

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=65670

*credit to AIB for putting this together and Nezumi for posting it here*

Interviews:
Mew2King
Name: Jason Zimmerman aka Mew2King

MLG: How long have you played the Smash series competitively?

M2K: I've played Smash since Smash 64, but my first tournament was for Super Smash Bros. Melee. It was an event called "King of the Couch" held in February 2005. In 2006 I beat Ken [legendary Smasher, for the non-initiated] and in 2007 I was best in the world. I bought Brawl the moment it came out and now in 2010 I'm the best at Brawl.

MLG: How did you train for MLG Orlando? Did you ever use wifi to train?

M2K: I never use wifi to train. I played locals and computers anywhere from two to seven hours a day for the last two weeks. I practiced nonstop so I could win this event. Every single match I played was a two or three stock all tournament, until I ran into Ally, except for a few random one-stock, low-percent games. I practiced and that’s why I won. I earned this.

MLG: What was your first MLG event?

M2K: My first MLG event was the opener for the 2006 season, MLG New York. I got Top 8 at that event and made Top 8 for every event that season.

MLG: What characters do you use?

M2K: I use strictly Meta Knight. I like fast characters. I still think I have one of the top three Dededes in the world, but he’s too boring to play. When I found out he was 90% grab and b-air, I switched to Meta Knight. He felt more like a Melee character.

MLG: What is your favorite matchup? Your least favorite?

M2K: I don’t really have a favorite matchup. Nothing that stands out anyway. My least favorite matchup is definitely Meta Knight versus Diddy.

MLG: What is your favorite stage? Least favorite?

M2K: My favorite stages are Smashville and Delfino. Smashville mostly at night because I think it looks cool and Delfino is just fun. I hate Final Destination and Halberd versus Snake because he’s broken there. Other than that I don’t really care.

MLG: What do you think about your sets with Ally?

M2K: They're 50/50. He can win sets and I can win sets. He kind of gave up at the end of this tournament, but I did that at our last tournament too. It’s just a coin flip every time we meet.

MLG: ADHD has beaten you the last few times you’ve met in tournament. Do you think you would have defeated ADHD if you had played him this weekend?

M2K: Yes. ADHD wasn’t at his best this weekend. He even lost a tie-breaker match to DSF where DSF timed him out with a 1% lead on the third game of their set. He was really off his game and pretty disheartened about the stage list. This wasn’t the Pound 4 ADHD. On his good days, he’d beat me and every other Meta Knight. He’d beat everyone other than Ally’s Snake because he has a mental block against him.
Ally
Name: Elliot Carroza-Oyarce aka Ally

MLG: How long have you been playing the smash series competitively?

Ally: Since smash 64. I started playing competitively August 24th, 2008, and have been competitive since Brawl’s release.

MLG: Did you train for Orlando? Do you ever use wifi to train?

Ally: No. I didn’t do anything. I don’t really train anymore and I don’t play wifi.

MLG:What was your first MLG event?

Ally:This one, MLG Orlando.

MLG:What characters do you use?

Ally:I use mostly Snake. I also use Captain Falcon, Wario, and Meta Knight. I can play most of the high-tier characters.

MLG:What is your favorite matchup? Your least favorite?

Ally: My favorite match-up is Meta Knight vs. Snake, with me playing as Meta Knight. I also really like Captain Falcon vs. Wario. My least favorite has to be Snake vs. Marth or Dedede.

MLG: Snake vs. Marth and Snake vs. Dedede were two matchups you had to overcome in Losers Finals against Tyrant. Were you nervous going in?

Ally: No, I was confident against his Meta Knight. When he counterpicked Marth on Battlefield and won, it made me a bit nervous. He has experience with Mike Haze and Havok so he knows what to do.

Ally: My favorite stage is Final Destination. It’s really good for grenade camping and Snake is hard to gimp there. I also really like Battlefield and Smashville. I like Castle Siege too even though I don’t play on it often. There are a lot of stages I don’t like. I don’t like Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Delfino, Yoshi’s Island, Lylat Cruise, Norfair, or Green Greens.

MLG: Speaking of Brinstar, that was a pivotal stage against Mew2King. You won the first time; he took you there and then you lost in the continuation set. What changed?

Ally: I don’t know. I rushed it. It’s hard to punish Meta Knight when he is d-air camping on that stage and whenever I messed up he’d deal around 90% to me. I just rushed it when I didn’t have to on that stage.

MLG: Do you think you’ll be able to bring it back against Mew2King at MLG Columbus?

Ally: I’ll beat him in Columbus. I have a backup plan for stages like Brinstar.

MLG: You’ve played ADHD several times over the past few months and your win here against him was expected. Do you think he has a mental block when playing you?

Ally: Not going in, but whenever he loses a close match, he loses confidence. He gets discouraged. The stages make it hard for him too. Diddy has to win the first game since there are so many stages people can take him to and get a free win.

ADHD
Player: ADHD
Orlando Finish: 6th
Name: Wyatt Beekman

MLG:How long have you been playing the Smash series competitively?

ADHD: I started playing Smash about a year ago. Brawl was the game I started on.

MLG: Did you train for Orlando? How do you train? Do you ever use wifi to train?

ADHD: No, I slacked off. I normally use wifi and practice technical stuff so I don’t mess up, but didn’t for Orlando.

MLG:What was your first MLG event?

ADHD: Orlando is my first MLG event. The venue is amazing and the crowd is a lot of fun. I’ve never had this much fun at a tournament before. I loved the crowd. It made things a lot more fun.

MLG: What characters do you use?

ADHD: Diddy. I don’t have any plans for a secondary for counterpick stages. I’m too lazy.

MLG: What is your favorite matchup? Your least favorite?

ADHD: My favorite matchup is Diddy vs. Diddy, and my least favorite is Diddy vs. Meta Knight, Diddy vs. Snake, or Diddy vs. Peach. KOS-MOS is the only good Peach that’s ever beaten me though.

ADHD: My favorite stage is Final Destination. I also really like Wario Ware for goofing off. My least favorite is probably Norfair or Castle Siege.

MLG: Mew2King mentioned that you had a mental block against Ally. Do you think this is true?

ADHD: There’s no mental block. Ally is just hard as hell. He’s great at tech chasing and has great DI so he lives forever. It’s just a hard matchup.

MLG: Do you think you would have beaten Mew2King if you had played him in tournament this weekend?

ADHD: No. I wasn't doing well. I feel I can do much better. If I were playing better I would have placed better.

MLG: You lost the consolation match to DSF, putting you in sixth place. How did that set go?

ADHD: He camped really, really hard. He has infinite patience. He d-air camped and scrooged on Rainbow Cruise. It was my fault I lost, though. I jumped off to early to end the timer on the last game and couldn’t make it back.

MLG: You had a close set with ESAM as well, and he almost sent you to the Losers Bracket a round early. How do you feel about playing him?

ADHD: ESAM is really aggressive and uses more aerials than Anther. Anther has a lot of melee experience and has perfect spacing, but ESAM makes a lot of mistakes. That sometimes works in his favor though because he does unsafe things you wouldn’t expect so you aren’t prepared. He’s definitely one of the best in Florida.

MLG: You couldn’t stay sitting down while you played. You would move the chair and stand up. Why?

ADHD: It helps you concentrate and makes you more alert.
ESAM
Name: Eric Lew aka ESAM
Orlando Finish: 4th

MLG:How long have you been playing the smash series competitively?

ESAM: I started playing competitively about 4 ½ years ago, and have played Brawl since release.

MLG: Did you train for Orlando? How do you train? Do you ever use wifi to train?

ESAM: Only on the new counterpicks, but that didn’t end up helping versus Tyrant. I play wifi for fun and never CPUs. Nothing good can come from wifi. You end up spot dodging because it’s a wifi habit and then get hit by an up+b from a Luigi.

MLG: What was your first MLG event? What are your thoughts on MLG Orlando?

ESAM: Orlando is my first event. The place is huge. It’s ten times the size of my house. They’ve got good systems, it’s very well run. Most efficient tournament I’ve ever been to.

MLG: Did you expect to do this well?

ESAM: Not even close. I expected to maybe get top 10, but not top 4.

MLG: You took out a lot of big names; what was your hardest match?

ESAM: Other than the ones I lost, it’d have to be against Big Lou. I don’t know the Luigi match-up and prefer to be up close. Luigi punishes you if you’re in too close though.

MLG: You had an extremely close set with ADHD and could have won it if you had just stayed on the ledge a moment longer. How do you think you’ll do in Columbus?

ESAM: ADHD is crazy. I don’t really know the matchup and on a scale to 10, he’s good enough to be a 19. Hopefully I can bring it back in Columbus, it was already pretty close.

MLG: Had you beaten ADHD you would have gone on to play Ally in your favorite match-up. How do you think you would have done?

ESAM: I think I could beat him. I’m really good at the matchup and know a lot of infinites and tricks.

MLG: Is there anything else you’d like to add about your performance at Orlando?

ESAM: I’m better than Anther. Mew2King and Ally agree with me. Anther, you need to prove yourself at MLG Columbus or I’m the best by default.
Tyrant
Name: Eric Legesse, aka Tyrant
Orlando Finish: 3rd

MLG: How long have you been playing the Smash series competitively?

Tyrant: I’ve played Smash since Smash 64 and started competitively in 2007. I’ve been playing Brawl since its Japanese release.

Tyrant: Yes. I trained every day for two hours. I’d just sit down randomly in between things throughout the day. I don’t play wifi, it disgusts me.

MLG: What are your thoughts on MLG Orlando?

Lots of pressure. I thought I liked pressure, but this pressure could kill a man. Could crush his soul. It’s a lot different for me, I just love the game and play for fun. I don’t know how to try unless I’m forced to. The money is just a reward.

MLG: You lost to DSF and Ally this tournament. What are your thoughts on those matches?

Tyrant: DSF and I play all the time and know each others style. It’s a coin flip whenever we meet. Ally’s really good. When two strong players clash you know who is stronger. Ally is stronger, so I needed to try all my options and had to throw out Marth and Dedede to try to win.

MLG: You got a third place win, placing behind only Mew2King and Ally, the undisputed number one and two players in the game. Do you think you can overcome them?

Tyrant: I think I can beat them, it just takes time. You learn something new every game.

MLG: Would you switch to other characters against Mew2King?

Tyrant: No, I’d go straight Meta Knight. I want to learn. Brawl is a tough game with a lot of coin flips.

Rekeah

Smash Apprentice
Wow he's unstoppable. I hoped ADHD would reach grand finals, though.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Me too, I really wanted an ADHD v. Ally finals but M2K is just too good, haha. I can't wait until Columbus now, I'm more pumped than ever.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yeah saw this victory coming.
M2K wasn't going to let this slip by him.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Someone else posted the top 8, but I'll post the top 16 in here as soon as I get the results. I just want them to be the official MLG results.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
you know, you should have labeled the thread "Results" or something. i was gonna look for vids later to watch the results, but this kinda spoils it...

dj asakura

Smash Ace
you know, you should have labeled the thread "Results" or something. i was gonna look for vids later to watch the results, but this kinda spoils it...
Sorry for spoiling anything but I figured that it'd be all over the place both here and on the MLG website so I decided to give M2K the title seeing as how he managed to stay in the WB through the finals and walked away with the win. And I feel like videos may not have been up for another day or so.

I'll post the full results as soon as they're available. But again, I'm sorry for spoiling this for you. :(

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Full Results Were Posted By Someone In The Predictions Thread For Top 8 Page 2. Fyi. :d
Yea, I saw the top 8 results but I'm going to wait until MLG releases either the pro results or the full results and then post those and edit the thread title.

Congrats, M2K. :D

See you guys in Columbus. Really looking forward to this.
Columbus is going to be SO good! I can't wait!

Variable

Smash Ace
Congrats M2k.

What do you know called it from the beginning of the tournament.. :)
It'd be cool if we could get as much videos as possible from the event, as I didn't see all of it, and would really like to see as much as I can.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Where have we seen this matchup before? Oh yeah every other big tournament.

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
After looking at his history in Smash competitions, I'm not surprise at all that he won. Congrats to M2K. He hasn't lost a step in the competitive competitions.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Melee or Brawl, the money just SHFFLs right into M2K's pockets. When Ken gets the time and makes an unexpected comeback like Isai, things might go a bit differently, though. ;D

Djent

Smash Champion
Yay.

First post from a long-time lurker. Congrats :mewtwo::099:, I'm glad to see you definitively back on top.

I'm also impressed with :luigi2: and :pikachu2:. Two of my favorite characters made it to the top 8.

I'm psyched for Columbus now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom