• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M.A.S: EPIC CHARACTERS ARE EPIC! 08/21/2010 Winthrop Harbor, IL

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
NOTE: INFO IN THIS THREAD IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE! I MAY CREATE A NEW THREAD ALL TOGETHER.

MOST ANGRIEST SHINOBI (M.A.S)

Time for the 5 W's...

WHO:

- Head Tournament Organizers are: Devildigimon - LDA.INC and J. Jireh's Coffee House

Gaming Staff/T.Os:

- Wafles / SSBB
- Eighteenspikes & Sveet / SSBM
- Dark Kakashi / Naruto
- SimaMatty / MBAA
- Arty / Tourney Aftermath & SSBB T.O on call
- Akashi / T.O on call
- Tink / T.O on call

WHAT:

MOST ANGRIEST SHINOBI:
EPIC CHARACTERS ARE EPIC!

WHEN:

- August 21st, 2010 (Saturday)

WHERE:

J. Jireh's Coffee House/Gifts

Address: 1704 7th Street Winthrop Harbor, IL 60096

Other info: The upstairs of the venue is spacious - filled with lighting, windows, a promising mic stero system (and oh yes I tested it hehe), comfortable charis, and a great deal of walking space (depending how many people come to this lol). And the downstairs in a lil smaller but EXTREMELY cozy and comfortable (kinda has that "at home" feeling. That is where our smaller tournaments will be ran). To the east of the building/venue there is a parking lot dedicated for us. It should be able to hold 20 vehicles no problem. The venue is clean as HELL. Oh man it's so nice!!! :bee: And being that it is a cafe, many many many goodies will be available for sale. Sandwhiches, sodas, pizzas, chips, muffins, bagles, coffee, cappuccino, ice cream, shakes/malts and etc. all for your convenience to purchase at affordable prices.

PLEASE DO NOT BRING IN OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS!!!

* IF YOU GET CAUGHT WITH OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS (water is fine) IN THE VENUE, YOU'LL BE ASKED TO EITHER EAT/DRINK IT OUTSIDE OR THROW IT AWAY.

* PLEASE RESPECT THE VENUE BY NOT BRINGING IN OUTSIDE FOOD/DRINKS.

For folks 21+, there is a nice bar right next to the venue and a couple more in the area too. There's gas stations, pizza joints, and other gift stores in the area too. This is a GREAT VENUE!!!

COMEDY HOUR!!!

Yeah this kinda got canned last minute. But hey, I'm sure people will tell hella jokes at this tournament. :p

TOURNAMENT VENUE HOURS AVAILABLE 10AM - MIDNIGHT OR LATER

- Venue Fee is $10

But...

you can save money, as follows:

TOURNAMENT EQUIPTMENT/FULL SETUP INFORMATION:

- PLEASE BRING FULL SETUPS FOR THE GAME(S) YOU WANT TO PLAY. IF YOU BRING A FULL SETUP THAT WE USE FOR THE TOURNAMENT, AND BELIEVE ME WE WILL TRY OUR ****EST NOT TO TURN ANY FULL SETUP AWAY, WE WILL WAIVE YOUR ENTIRE VENUE FEE FOR THE TIME YOU ARE PRESENT AND WE USE YOUR FULL SETUP!!!

A FULL SET UP CONSIST OF: T.V, SYSTEM, GAMES. AND ALL CHARACTERS UNLOCKED!!!

THIS COMES ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS. AND YOU PERSONALLY HAVE TO BRING THE FULL SETUP. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MOOCH (LOL) OFF YOUR FRIEND'S FULL SETUP. BECAUSE THAT'S NOT FAIR TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO DID BRING A FULL SETUP.

IF YOU HAVE POWER STRIPS PLEASE BRING THOSE TOO.

METRA TRAIN INFORMATION!!!

Chicago Guys/Surrounding Area folks (hopefully this saves on gas, stress, or both)...

For those who are willing to catch the train, there is a Metra Train that will drop you off within 3 blocks of the M.A.S tournament venue (J. Jireh's Coffee Shop). Link provided below:

http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/up-n/station.WINTHROP.html

Here is the full schedule and time slots available:

http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/up-n/schedule.full.html

* PLEASE NOTE: Remember that prices vary based on how far you are traveling. Be sure to arrive at your train stop 15 mins BEFORE your train is schedule to depart from that stop. When on board sit tight and a conductor will walk pass and collect your monies. Be sure to listen for your automated calling for your stop. Gotta be on the ball, because they stop and go at train stops QUICK. It's somewhat easy to skip when you were supposed to get off...and that would SUCK, if you missed your stop. :(
WHY:

- It's what I do. :D

GAMES BEING PLAYED, TOURNAMENT DAY/TIME SCHEDULE, AND ENTRY FEE:

Games played and entry fees (entry fee is subject to change. when it happens it'll be lowered never increased):

* SSBB (Singles & Doubles, "Why [Mid/Low]" Tier Singles) $10/$10 per teammate/$5 respectively

* SSBB - (Minus) $5

* Super Street Fighter 4 $10

* Tekken 6 $10

* Melty Blood: Actress Again $5

* Blazblue: Continum Shift $5

* Naruto Revolution 3 $1

Side tournaments:

Note: These tournaments will be ran if there is space, interest, and time available (there is NO SET TIME when these tournaments will start)

* SSBB + $5
* Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars $5

...we'll be playing some other fighters (casually) on the side too.

Day/Time Schedule:

* SSBB Doubles/ SSBB "Why (Mid/Low)" Tier Singles @ 11:00AM
* Naruto Rev 3 / Blazblue: Continum Shift / SSBB - @ 1PM
* Super Street Fighter 4/Melty Blood: Actress Again @ 2PM
* SSBB Singles Pools @ 4PM (SSBB Singles Bracket follows after)
* SSBM Singles Pools @ 5PM (SSBM Singles Bracket follows after)
* Tekken 6 @ 6PM

Payouts for Smash related games:

50 participants or less:

1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

50+ (51 and so on) participants:

1st - 55%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 10%
4th - 5%
5th - 2.5% (each)

Payouts for all other fighting games:

- 1st: 70%, 2nd: 20%, 3rd: 10%

Also...

POT SPLITTING IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED AT THIS TOURNAMENT!!!

RULES FOR TOURNAMENT GAMES:

Tournament Game Rules/Regulations/System Used:

For all tournaments the "WTF LAIN RULE!" will strongly be enforced. Ask if you need details. It is explained below though.

PLEASE NOTE:
* NO, and I repeat, NO Money Matches (MMs)...are to be had during the tournament (unless I say otherwise). PLEASE! I want this tournament to flow as smoothly as possible. Do MMs before/after the tournament. If I call your name and you don't come, and I find out you were MMing you'll get disqualified and sent to losers/put out of the tournament if you were in losers.

You get 2 mins to report to your match. If you fail to report in that time frame, and DIDN'T TELL ME WHERE YOU WERE BEFORE HAND, that's an auto sent to Losers or DQ from the tournament. This will now be know as the "WTF Lain!!!" rule :)

If you're money matching on a brawl setup, and it's needed for a tournament match (you shouldn't be MMing during the tournament anyways), you'll be kicked off of that setup. No waiting til the end of match.

Hope everyone understands this.

* Super Smash Brothers Brawl Singles (WII)

During Pools (this may apply to SSBM or ANY fighting game that has the "pool" feature):

Pools work like this:

You play vs. a selected (seeded) handfull of players in round robin. Whoever (could be more than one person, depending on how many advance outa pools) has the best record, advances to the double elimination bracket.

Less than 36 people play in pools = we'll have a 24 man bracket

More than 36 people play in pools = we'll have a 32 man bracket

During the Double Elimination bracket:

Format and Settings:

Double Elimination
3 Stocks, 8 minutes time
Damage Ratio 1.0
Handicap Off
Best 2/3 Games
All Finals Best 3/5 Matches
Items set to "Off" and "None"

Starter Stage List:

NOTE: IT IS UP TO YOU GUYS TO REMEMBER THE STAGE LIST. IT WILL MAKES THINGS RUN A LOT MORE SMOOTHER. I WILL HAVE A COPY OF THE STAGE LIST AVAILABLE IF NEEDED.

Neutral:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Smashville
Lylat

Counter Stage List:

Delfino Plaza
Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1 (Melee Version)
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise

ANY STAGE THAT IS NOT MENTIONED ABOVE IS BANNED!!!

Set format:
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match

PLEASE NOTE:
* Double blind character selection may be called for the first match if needed. A T.O will come and keep track of what characters are used by players.

2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure. (Who starts will be decided by playing SHANKING FIST aka RPS). Then each player will alternate striking a stage until there is 1 left. That stage is played first round. THERE IS NO RANDOM UNLESS AGREED UPON.
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counter pick of the set.
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

Additional Rules:
- Stalling is Banned!
- If you use any controller styles that use the wiimote you will be responsible for removing the batteries inbetween your matches. Failure to do so can result in a DQ.
- In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by playing SHAKING FIST.
- No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
- Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned (because it falls into the "Stalling violation").
- If a game ends with Bowser's Suicide Claw or Ganon's Arial Choke Slam the player who performed the move wins!!!
- You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

- Stalling/Chain Grabbing (applies to both Melee and Brawl): The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 200% past when the chain grab started (for example: if the CG started at 43%, you must end the CG...in some fashion... @ 243%). Also, deliberately avoiding any and all combat is stalling, where as jumping on and off the ledge doing an aerial at your opponent is simply spacing.

So with this said...

- Marth's hold release infinite vs. Lucus/Ness is BANNED
- Wario's precentage specific CG is allowed
- DeDeDe walk CG vs DK is BANNED
- You are ONLY allowed 50 planks (catch edge. release edge. repeat) a game (this doesn't apply in Brawl+).

Also...

Due to something that happened last month, I need to announce a rule clarification

If you are caught bringing a setup that modifies actual gameplay (texture hacks, and stage hacks do not modify gameplay, only appearance) you will be disqualified from the tourney you entered, and your setup will be taken down. This includes, but is not limited to "no-tripping" setups.

Like it or not, tripping it part of the game, and modifying setups for no-tripping is not to be used.

I'll also clarify, that if your music hacks, stage hacks, or texture hacks are obnoxious, or make playing the game difficult (hard to see, etc...) a T.O. may ask you to take them off your setup. So far we haven't had problems with this, but just letting that be known just in case.
This is now known as the the -

"YoshQ NOT SO STUPID RULE!" :bee:

* Super Smash Brothers Melee Singles/SSBM & SSBB Doubles (WII)

Format and Settings:

Double Elimination
4 Stock, 8 Mins Time
Handicap Off
Damage Ratio 1.0
Best 2/3 Games
All Finals 3/5 Matches
Items are set to "Off" and "None"

Starter Stage List:

NOTE: AGAIN, IT IS UP TO YOU GUYS TO REMEMBER THE STAGE LIST. IT WILL MAKES THINGS RUN A LOT MORE SMOOTHER. I WILL HAVE A COPY OF THE STAGE LIST AVAILABLE IF NEEDED.

Neutral:

Fountain of Dreams (Only in Singles)
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

* Pokemon Stadium (Only in Teams/Neutral)

Counter Stage List:

Pokemon Stadium
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle

Set format is pretty similar to SSBB, except for the following:

- Obviously anything that is STRICTLY SSBB related lol
-Controller Mods, Glitches (Ice Climbers Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
-Wobbling is NOT banned

For SSBB Doubles (WII):

- Stock is set at 3 (and isn't allowed to use cool stages like Mute City, like Melee can :( )

For both SSBB and SSBM Doubles (WII):

-Friendly Fire will be on in teams and general rules apply (don't forget the SSBM stage specifics)

* Super Smash Brothers Brawl + 7.0.3 Shining Gold (Wii)

NOTE: Newest version used is located right here for your convenience:

http://www.smashmods.com/forum/page/bpdownload.html

Format and Settings:

Double Elimination
4 Stock, 8 Mins Time
Buffer May Be Set To Your Preference
Handicap Off
Damage Ratio 1.0
Best 2/3 Games
All Finals 3/5 Matches
Items are set to "Off" and "None"

Starter Stage List:

NOTE: AGAIN, IT IS UP TO YOU GUYS TO REMEMBER THE STAGE LIST. IT WILL MAKES THINGS RUN A LOT MORE SMOOTHER. I WILL HAVE A COPY OF THE STAGE LIST AVAILABLE IF NEEDED.

*THIS STAGE LIST WILL BE CHANGED/UPDATED SOON!!!*

Neutral:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Wario Ware

Counter Stage List:

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Brinstar
Delphino Plaza
SSE Jungle
Rainbow Cruise
Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 1 (Melee Version)
Frigate Orpheon

- Stalling and Infinite Dimensional Cape BANNED (see above in SSBB rules for details)
- There are no standing infinites.
- And planking is not nearly as much of an issue.

* Super Smash Brothers Brawl - (Wii)

Same rules as vBrawl, except stocks will be set to 4 instead of 3.

HAVE MUCHO FUN!!!

* Super Street Fighter 4 (PS3)

- double elimination tournament
- we'll be using the most updated version of Street Fighter 4, all consoles will be checked
- default time
- all rounds are set to 2/3
- 2/3 games for winners and losers brackets
- 3/5 games for winners, losers, and grand finals (this WILL NOT CHANGE...please don't ask)
- stage is ALWAYS random
- winner keeps same character, loser may change character
- ALL CHARACTERS ALLOWED
- All game breaking glitches are BANNED (if any lol)

* Tatsunoko Vs Capcom: Ultimate All Stars (WII)

- default time (99), damage (2 stars), starting H.C gauge (1)
- 3/5 games for winners, losers, and grand finals (this WILL NOT CHANGE...please don't ask)
- stage is ALWAYS random
- for those who are color blind. TvC: UAS Training stage will be used as default stage
- winner keeps same characters, loser may change characters
- Button binding is ALLOWED
- NO CHARACTERS ARE BANNED
- All game breaking glitches are BANNED

* Blazblue: Continum Shift (PS3)

COMING SOON!!!

* Naruto Revolution 3 (Wii)

- Double Elimination
- 3/5 Rounds
- 2/3 matches winners/losers - bracket
- 3/5 matches winners/losers/grand - finals (no exceptions)
- Default Time
- Damage Setting 1
- Stage is always random, unless both players agree.
- Winner keeps character, loser may Stage or Character, but NEVER both.
- All control use options are allowed. If using Wiimote make sure to remove your batteries from Controller or you will be sent to losers/DQ'ed (if you were in losers) if it interferes with another TOURNAMENT Match.
- Latent Ninja Power ON
- Stage Transition Off
- Obstacles Off
- Hand signs are banned
- ANY GLITCH THAT CAUSES IRREGULAR PLAY IN UNIVERSAL SYSTEM MECHANICS IS BANNED
- KABUTO'S b.A and d.X MOVES ARE BANNED AGAINST KURENAI. if you do this you will lose the ENTIRE MATCH
- HIDAN'S X.u DURING BLOCKSTRING IS BANNED (if you do this you will forfeit that round)
- KIBA AND KANKURO ARE BANNED

* Melty Blood Actress Again (PS2)

- "Original" game balance will be used
- default time
- all rounds are set to 2/3
- stage is ALWAYS random
- Archtype:Earth is BANNED
- winner keeps same character (may change moon style), loser may change character and/or moon
style
- All game breaking glitches are BANNED

* Tekken 6 (PS3)

- default time
- all rounds are set to 3/5
- first stage is random
- winner keeps same character, loser may change character or stage - NEVER BOTH
- ALL CHARACTERS ALLOWED
- Micro Mapping is BANNED

HOPE TO SEE YOU HERE!!! :)

:bee:

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Sucks that this is the same day as my graduation so i absolutely will not be here lol.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Well as I explained to Sago.

The venue is pretty nice (I have NEVER been to a place more comfortable in 3 years and I traveled everywhere) and tries to provide for you guys for our tournaments. I think we're pretty laxed. Pretty much let you guys do and "say" whatever you want.

And keep in mind we are a place of business (it's rude as **** to bring in outside food/drinks to ANY resturant/cafe/whatever). With free parking (private lot at that). And has food available for purchase at affordable rates ($5 for a full pizza o_0).

Gives you 17 potential hours for casuals and tournament play time.

And and most importantly...

THE MONEY WE DO GET FOR VENUE FEE WE THROW IT RIGHT BACK TO YOU PLAYERS FOR POT BONUSES!!!!

And soon our tournaments are gonna have LIVE ENTERTAINMENT.

So I dunno why this place ISN'T worth $10 for venue fee. And I have waived hella folks their venue fee, entirely, when they bring in a full setup. So serioiusly...wth?

And remember this NO OUTSIDE food or drink rule (which btw should have been mentioned when we started in SEPTEMBER...and wasn't), was because some people DID NOT THROW THEIR TRASH AWAY (mainly subway crap).

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Is there a specific on drinks you can't bring? It's pretty lame if I can't bring a bottled water from home, or even a granola bar for that matter. >_>

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Well I mean I'm not gonna hold someone's hand and follow them around just to see if they brought something from home.

And in my personal opinion if you do that, THAT'S HELLA FINE!

But like if you go to Subway or McDonalds or Perkins, and bring their food into the venue and eat it..then that's not cool IMHO.

All we're asking, all I AM ASKING...is that we have a lil respect for the venue and it's efforts.

The cafe's biggest day of sales is either concerts or the days I hold tournaments. We don't wanna be put in jeapordy to lose the cafe whatsoever. So bringing in outside food (that isn't from home), kinda states the obvious, and that's not cool.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I wasn't aware those pot bonuses were derived from venue fees. Nevermind then.
As long as I can bring in a bottle of water or something I'm not made. I totally get the no outside food and drinks from other restaurants but I thought you were gonna not allow like, bottles of soda or water from home or something.

Wafles

Smash Lord
The venue is pretty nice (I have NEVER been to a place more comfortable in 3 years and I traveled everywhere) and tries to provide for you guys for our tournaments. I think we're pretty laxed. Pretty much let you guys do and "say" whatever you want.
dayum dude you should've seen the FBT4, FBT6, Cats4 Peace, and No Koast 2 venues.
Not to hate on the cafe but you need to branch out a little more. =)

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
lol yeah I dunno why it's so tough to get to northern WI. but I've been to elpaso, IL (infinite times) and AZ already. :laugh:

Oro?!

Smash Hero
All I gotta say is that this place beats the **** out of Screenz. Anyone who went to the CoB series run by Webster, you know what I'm talking about. There was like no Air conditioning, no food/drinks, and we were confined to a basement (except Melee got a nice space upstairs with comfy chairs) and the venue fee was like 10$ because that's what screenz asked for...

P.S. Wafles, I would totally vote Inysaur for prez.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know I agreed to running mbaa, haha. I don't think I have any plans for that date so I should be there. I'll also be bringing a laptop for the touhou fgs (among other things) if anyone is interested in playing. However I will not provide controllers so bring a ps2 pad unless you like using keyboard.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I didn't know I agreed to running mbaa, haha. I don't think I have any plans for that date so I should be there. I'll also be bringing a laptop for the touhou fgs (among other things) if anyone is interested in playing. However I will not provide controllers so bring a ps2 pad unless you like using keyboard.
Wanna team in brawl? =D

ThatsWhatSheSaid

Smash Apprentice
After the clarification, I'm fine on the outside drink issue. And **** subway, the pricks. I seriously wanna go over there just to use their bathroom and leave. It'd be hilarious if a bunch of people did lol.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Jason: I'll see what I can do about this month.

SimaMatty: LOL my bad, hope you don't feel you were forced into T.Oing. I did a c&p from the tournament in Jan, and then remembered you said you enjoyed T.Oing the Melty tourney and would do it again.

Next time I'll ask before assuming. :(

Top Bottom