• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instruction manual translation: a complete disaster

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
This isn't a particularly interesting subject, but I figured I would share anyway. We all know about Brawl's instruction manual. What? You don't? Yes, I know nobody needs to read it, but I know that you're aware of its existence. Anyway, there is a part in the manual that describes the 4 special moves and final smash for every character, as well as a very brief description of him/her/it.

Well, here in Portugal, the game is merely in the PAL version (there's no Brawl in Portuguese), but the manual and cover are translated in Portuguese. There are no problems to be found, except when you reach the previously mentioned pages in the manual.

Some of the character's names have been translated. Names. Translated. That is enough recipe for a s**tstorm. I mean, you can translate some names, like Paul = Paulo, but doing that isn't recommended. Yet, what happens when you try to translate names like Peach? You just can't translate that. But did that stop the translators from altering names? Here is a list of screw-ups.
List layout:

• Regular name: Translation methods. Name in Portuguese. (Comment.)

• Wario Bike: Wario bicycle. Bicicleta Wario. (Probably just a typo.)
  • Triforce: Triple force. Força tripla. (oh lawd what)
  • King Dedede: King (tirant, ruler) Dedede. Rei Dedede. (This isn't much of a problem, but maybe King shouldn't be translated).
  • Meta Knight: Meta Knight (rider). Cavaleiro Meta. (They actually translated Knight, which is part of his name. Wait to go.)
  • Fox: Fox (animal). Raposa. (Fox is a name, not an animal! But they still translated it.)
  • Blaster: Explosions. Explosões. (XD wut)
  • Ice Climbers: Ice Climbers (those who climb ice). Alpinistas do Gelo. (They aren't named "Ice Climbers", that's sort of their... profession. But it still shouldn't be translated.)
  • Pikmin (multiple): Pikmin (one). "o Pikmin". (This is different from the rest. But essentially, every time the Pikmin are mentioned, they are referred as a single one. This is likely because they only saw "Pikmin" and never "Pikmins". Though the plural for Pikmin is Pikmin. This can lead to some stupid sentences like "joins forces with the (one and only) Pikmin.")
Other things I noticed include Icarus with a lower I, and the Gale Boomerang being the Magic Boomerang.

I hope this is understandable enough. But long story short: the Portuguese translators translated some names by what they mean, when those shouldn't even be translated in the first place.

Top Bottom