• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rise From the Ashes, pt 2- RIT 5/8

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952

SPEED ORGANIZING
Holy **** WNY is so cool. Without tolerance for losing our end-year sananigans shenanigans, we're kicking greedy venues to the curb and just smashing wherever the hell we feel like.
Holy **** WNY is so cool. Without tolerance for losing our year-end tourney venue in syracuse, we're holding TWO TOURNIES IN TWO WEEKENDS. **** YEAH.

RIT PRESENTS: RISE FROM THE ASHES, pt 2

-Hosted by Sheth,
Lol I dunno
¯\(°_o)/¯

¯\(°_o)/¯​
DETAILS:
  • Location: RIT STUDENT ALUMNI UNION/Campus Center (SAU, building 4/3)
    1 Lomb Memorial Drive Rochester, NY 14623 (Address to campus for directions, signs on campus to SAU.)​
    Email: shethblade@gmail.com
    Phone: 240 - 888 - 0296 (Prefer electronic communication prior to day of event)
================================================

EVENTS
I'll be going with most of our usual. Brawl and Melee singles for sure, 5$ entry for each. Here's where I'm going to need some input though. Rather than waste time running really pitifully attended events, I'm only going to run events I know there'll be turnout for. I'm no fan of brawl+, but there are people that are interested. That said, I'm not going to hold it unless there's a following to do so. I would like eight entries to brawl+ singles before agreeing to hold it as an event.

Similarly, while we've been lacking doubles for some time, doubles has the tendency of requiring a QUITE high number of people to run a respectably sized tournament. For that, I require preferably six teams for melee or brawl doubles in any event. If we meet these numbers, there will be doubles.
=======================================================

TIMING
I intend to start at 1-2 PM, because hopefully, we'll have a fair showing. This is flexible based on when people can come. I'll try to wait if possible, but I'd like your cooperation in coming on time, because the tournament is for you guys. I want to hold the tournament at the time that people can come; it should be timed for you, but that means, the time you agree on (by vote prior to tournament,) will be what we stick to. Honor that commitment of the majority, if you can, and consider skipping a bracket / the event if you can't. I'll try to curb progress if you'll just be late, but you're not beyond being DQ'd, either.
=======================================================

Please reply:
Please, in ANY response, post your opinion on the folliwing matters that will be decided based on the thread responses and IMs I recieve prior to the event.

• STARTING TIME: NOON?
  • EVENT ORDER
  • LIKELIHOOD OF PEOPLE IN YOUR AREA COMING
  • RULESETS ALL TOURNIES (discuss singles brawl and double only until confirmation of additional events by attendance requirement)

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
ATTENDANCE
Melee: Hubble, Vicious, Darem?, Cura, Eeveee,
Melee doubles: Hubble, Vicious

Brawl: Sheth, Dr. G, Cura, Sharky?, Bry, Darem, Cura, Eeveee
Brawl Doubles: Sheth, Dr. G, Eric, Sharky?, Bry/Kanto, Pikapika,

Brawl+: Slashy, Darem, Bry, Andarel?, Cura, Eeveee, Sheth?

------
MELEE RULESET

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
* Lylat System: Corneria
* Kanto: Pokefloats

ALL OTHER STAGES ARE BANNED.

General Rules

* Items are set to off.
* 4 Stocks
* 8 minute time limit
* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)
* In the event of any dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
* The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
* Blind Picks: If requested, players can request that both players pick their characters blind, meaning that both will not have prior knowledge of the other's character.
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Characters are selected (a blind pick may be requested)
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

-----
BRAWL RULESET

Stage Lists

Starter Stages

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages

Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

ALL OTHER STAGES ARE BANNED

General rules:

* 3 Stocks
* 8 minute time limit
* Items are set to "off" and "none"
* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)
* In the event of any dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
* The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw (forward+B) and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is.
* No use of Marth’s Grab Release Infinites against Lucas and Ness.
* No use of King Dedede’s Standing Grab Infinites against Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Samus, and Mario.
* No use of Meta Knight’s Infinite Cape Glitch.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

altairian

Smash Lord
Pretty sure you can add Snakeee to the attendance list

whatever entry fee gets the most entrants is best imo, get more RIT kids interested in the competitive scene if you can!

I'd say noon registration and 1pm start is probably best, us crazy syracuse kids (lol I don't live in syracuse :p ) stay up pretty late the night before tourneys.

event order? I actually kinda like brawl first, but maybe it should be decided by whether or not anyone's gonna have to show up late.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have 2 people from my region (which is Albany!) with me, unless for whatever reason they change their mind last minute.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
I suppose it is only one day, and I'll still have plenty of time for studying... count me in, i guess :ohwell:

Slashy

Smash Lord
I just realized we might get a lot of onlookers due to Imagine RIT being on the same day.

EDIT: Multi-Ninja'd, just go to Imagine RIT events when a tournament happens that you're not in.

Okay here I go

Brawl+ Ruleset

1. Matches are 4 stock, 8 minutes, items off and set to none, team attack on
2. Stalling is banned, also because of the stage selection, you can only go underneath a stage to an opposite ledge 4 times during a match (as many stage will facilitate this)
3. Infinities must end at 400%
4. Players stage strike during the first match from the available neutral stages
5. Any suicide that is made (Kirby, King Dedede, Ganondorf, Bowser) the match is ruled by what the game determines as the result. If the game goes into sudden death, a 1 stock match will determine the winner.
6. Rock+Paper+Scissors (or any game you want to play for that matter) will determine controller ports
7. Each player bans 2 stages that cannot be used for the entire set
8. Bringing unauthorized modding (i.e. cheating) will get you disqualified from all events at the tournament

Stage List:

Battlefield
Final Destination+ (Fixed Ledges)
Smashville+
Pokemon Stadium 2+ (Frozen)
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Green Hill Zone+
Skyworld (Broken Platforms)
Wario Ware+(Frozen)
Midair Stadium

Counter:
Luigi's Mansion+ (Passable platforms)
Wifi Waiting Room (With Sandbag)
Pokemon Stadium+
Jungle Japes+ (No water)
Pirate Ship+
Rumble Falls+
Port Town Aero Drive+
Castle Siege+
SSE Jungle
Pictochat+
Yoshi's Island (Melee)+
Battleship Halberd
New Pork City+
Frigate Orpheon+
Norfair
Brinstar
Mario Circuit
Onett
Distant Planet+
Delfino Plaza+
Hyrule Temple+

Banned:
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rainbow Cruise
Spear Pillar
75m
Mario Bros.
Bridge of Eldin
Shadow Moses Island
Big Blue
Flat Zone 2
Green Greens
Corneria
Summit

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
If you can find a small *** room to do this is id still be more than happy to come. Also if you cant. Move the dates on friday me snakeee and alt would still come Lol. Just get something going!

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
-Shut down this talk and move back to the PR thread for now, we've got to decide what form any events are going on in.

-Also note that I might be tied up with a lot of difficulties not limited to serious academic changes (even major change, which could have a whole boatload of related things associated,) so I'm not going to be that accessible and in worse case, won't come.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm not sure if I'll be able to come to this or not. Depends on a couple of things, tbqh. Good luck either way, though, everybody!

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
From this point on, replies to this thread will apply to the tournament pt 2, which takes place on may 8th. Please discuss.

hubble

Smash Ace
I should actually play in a tournament for once. It's been quite a long while since I've played in one haha.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
That's right in the middle of our finals, so I'll probably be a day-of decision, depending on how the week goes. I realize that this is about as informative as if I hadn't posted at all, but hey, +1 post count at least :p

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Can't come to this either. Wish everyone best of luck =D. I want to see Jason win for the lols, or some upset w/Acton if he goes.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
why cant u make it san it'd be my last time playing with u guys comeeeeeeeeeee -___-

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have finals like a couple days after that, and I'll need at least 4-5 days to study for some of my tests. And no, there's still MLG if you're going, Apex, and it'll be easier for me to come to NYC if there's a large NYC tourney in the summer.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
12:00 signups for all tournaments. 1:00 start flexibility of an hour for melee and 30 minutes for brawl. Brawl singles should start as soon as you get everyone signed up. Run melee singles during finals of brawl. Maybe run doubles before all of this.

Foy

Smash Champion
12:00 signups for all tournaments. 1:00 start flexibility of an hour for melee and 30 minutes for brawl. Brawl singles should start as soon as you get everyone signed up. Run melee singles during finals of brawl. Maybe run doubles before all of this.
Your so gooney dude. <3 bok

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Umm, is anyone bring a hacked wii, or a wii they don't mind smashstack being used on? Cause I've got a few more hax (some of which won't be legit for tournament play) to show off.

Unfortunetly no more giga bowser ditto money matches. (unless some fool dares challenge me)

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
there should be a few I'd imagine, mine included. But we're going to need setups, so please try to bring one if you can.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Umm, is anyone bring a hacked wii, or a wii they don't mind smashstack being used on? Cause I've got a few more hax (some of which won't be legit for tournament play) to show off.

Unfortunetly no more giga bowser ditto money matches. (unless some fool dares challenge me)
Obviously, we're probably having Brawl+ here.

Kantō

Smash Champion
ill be there entering brawl singles and ill enter dubz if someone wants to team with me.

also brawl + would be fun.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
UPDATE:
I updated the second post with attendance information I have so far. ? needs confirming or is iffy. Note that I don't have means to contact everyone, (holy crap why don't we just make a WNY mailer or something, good god,) and am only taking RSVPs (required numbers for doubles and brawl+ not yet met) in person, on IM, via email, or in-thread. If you know someone and are reading this, get their info to me ASAP, as I'll be deciding on Friday around noon on event order.

Note that, unless more events happen, or I get different schedule input, it will be as follows:
Brawl: 1PM -> ~3:30-4PM
Melee: ~3:30-4PM -> 6:30-7PM

Top Bottom