• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Re-rediscussion: R.O.B.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Hiroi's request. This match-up has been rediscussed before, but I dont think that was a very good one to be honest. Let's try it again.

So let's re-rediscuss ;D. But first, tha rules (copyright of Rickerdy-doo-da-day):

As the number of characters left to discuss in the Peach Weekly Match-Up Discussion thread begins to dwindle, I've have decided to start up topics for rediscussing characters who I feel may need to be covered again. This is primarily due to potential changes in the match up, new discoveries, new tactics and how they may have affected the match up. Also, for some characters, because they were discussed a long time ago, they may be out of date

Now because I can't trust some of you on this board, I'm going to copy/paste these rules on all of these rediscussion threads:

-SUPPORT YOUR CLAIMS WITH EXAMPLES/EVIDENCE/THOUGHT/VIDEO. Do not say "Snake beats Peach" or "Peach owns Wolf" or something out of the blue without explaining why, you are just wasting thread space. Keep intelligent discussion.

-We are here to learn, not fight. We're all trying to become better Peach players, so please don't get into over heated discussions - learn and be reasonable.

-This thread serves two purposes. A) To determine how the matchup goes for Peach. B) To determine how to handle the matchup. So not only post why you think it goes (see guideline below), but post strategies and what you do that works.

-Feel free to add really good tactics you discover of a character already discussed. New tactics are helpful and don't think just because its already been discussed not to add anything, or we will never get better information on the matchup as the meta game progresses!

- PLEASE let me know if you want me to highlight anything from the thread discussion into that respective character's "summary" on this page. I'm not always sure whats the best advice and whats not so help point it out to me for me to highlight

- Attempting to ridicule someone to prove your point will not be tolerated. It disgusts me when people try to do this. If someone struggles with something and you don't or if someone thinks the match up is such and such because of this and you think 'well you can do this and this, why are they saying that?' for the love of god, explain to them your viewpoint. Insults such as 'well your air game must suck if you find this hard' are pathetic, childish and I will mostly likely disregard whatever else you have to say

I wish I didn't have to feel the need to do this as it clusters up the OP of each of these topics and someones going to have a cry about me putting this but sadly, I can't trust some of you. I don't care about personal feuds or the like. Keep the discussion match up related ok?

ROB

Ehh beep beep? R.O.B. doesnt talk...

Teh Future

Smash Master
pretty simple matchup. you throw **** at him, he shoots **** at you. you try to approach , you get faired. You manage to dair him, rob takes 2304234 damage because peach is ******** and rob is terrible.

peach should recover low btw because her umbrella is ******** and doesn't make sense.

you can also beat his fair really easily by full hopping a dair when he thinks you are going to float towards him.

55-45 peach

Xyless

Smash Master
Aggressive ROB is harder to fight than campy ROB, without a doubt. ROBs can't depend on their gyro as much against Peach, since she can take it away and attack while floated. However, I don't think that it's as useful as the Peach boards always say, since ROB can still hammer away at her with tilts and crazy ranged aerials.

Always expect sidestep to a smash (most likely dsmash). It's so stupidly safe, I swear.

Little tidbit of information I learned from doing my Project Peach Vertical thing...I'm almost certain you cannot get the perfect 17% sweetspot on ROB when he is standing on the ground. Even running into it never got me a 17. However, you CAN usmash his head when he's lying down, and that will do the 17.

Weird, I know.

I don't have phenomenal experience against aggressive ROBs, but I know he's about 55-45.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I believe it's even or 55:45 rob they have options vs each other, but I think Rob has a little bit more.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Dear god, I know truly realise why people hate this 55-45 ratio.

That being said, if you'd like to give a ratio, please just say X has a small/normal/big advantage and it's perfectly/quite/not winnable for Y, and then give the ratio. Life is easier that way.

:053:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I...really don't like ROB. His projectiles are very irritating indeed and his Fair and Nair are really silly. He's just a really strange character

Pull up Turnips only when its safe, make sure you're not going to get hit by a laser because when you're in the air, you give precious time to ROB for him to charge something up or start setting up an attack pattern. Use Turnips to help approach, you don't really have a choice since ROB has a laser and his Gyro. Keep your shield at the ready and make sure you get ready to punish thing he does

His aerials are really really...for lack of better wording, awkward. They're just really wierd. Use Bair to combat his Fair, don't try and tackle his Nair head on as the fire will get your hurtboxes. You can use Toad if you see the Nair coming or you can move out the way and punish him after it with a Fair or your own aerial. Avoid SH'ing with a Fair into him, an Up Tilted F Smash will normally beat it out. He's got a ridiculously long Glide Toss btw so watch out for any sudden approaches/sliding smashes

I've found the best way to combat ROB is to shield stuff he throws at you and punish it with a Turnip because a lot of his attacks have more range than yours. Grab him out of poorly spaced aerials and watch out for his Dair. Harrass him when he's offstage with Turnips, he can't airdodge when using his Up + B. Giving him both a projectile and a person to worry about well make things harder for him

And Floating Dair that ruddy spotdodge to D Smash thing ROBs do, ROBS flailing arms strike rage in my heart :p Dair is quite decent in this match up due to how big ROB is

I've just remembered, do we have any stupid footstool stuff we can do on ROB? Nearly every man and his dog has one on ROB these days, I would have hoped with our ability to Float that we'd have one too

hiROI

Smash Lord
Thank you Yaaay! :'D

I have no idea how to fight this matchup. So I'll just wait for input from the others

Roxas215

Smash Lord
From my experience(Which isn't much) Rob is just a really weird char. His spotdodge to dsmash is so retarted it doesn't make sense. He can def outcamp you however peach can ease her way in by just shielding and punishing missed attacks with turnips. I've found a campy Rob isn't hard to deal with but rather a Aggressive R.O.B is hard to play against.

NEVER TRY TO BEAT OUT NAIR. I swear the fire hits me everytime. This game been out for years and i still to this day don't understand that move. If both Peach and Rob is in the air i ALWAYS wait for him to do something 1st. Use bair to counter his fair. Also Dairs are extremely good in this matchup due to R.O.B's size.

Xyless

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure the only move that is safe on ROB's nair is her utilt, since it is extremely disjointed and huge.

IF he uses it before you are within kill range though (I forget what that is), I personally let him hit me with it if I can get a hit off on him as well. It makes the move stale, which means he will have to work a little bit harder to kill you.

googlinheimer

Smash Rookie
well robs nair is annoying but not unbeatable you just have to watch it closely his flip starts from the back so if his back to you it hits much sooner than if you were in front of him because he would have to complete an entire flip to hit you. so your best bet is to hit kinda below him while he is facing you.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Um....R.O.B.'s Ftilt sucks? It has alot of range (more than Snake's I think) and it has somewhat priority+ it can be tilted. About the ROB recovery thing, couldnt he just fair the oncoming turnips? I dont know enough about ROB other than I I hate his camping game.

Xyless

Smash Master
I don't see who you're talking to Spyker. lol

Yes, ROB's ftilt is extremely good at knocking Peach out of float, but there is a small blindspot between ftilt tilted up and utilt. That's where you are most safe.

I personally always toad ROB's nair. It's the one thing that is guaranteed to hurt him and keep you from taking damage.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I have played Meno quite a bit and I honestly think it is even. R.O.B. may get juggled by Peach but she cant reliably kill him until at least 170% maybe more dependent on stage. For ROB it is tricky because Peach's spacing can make the most of his lag from all of his moves. Also R.O.B. is generally straightforward. Its obvious what he is going to do(nAir for instant) and can be countered with neutralB or just avoided all together. However even though Peach can use ROB's gyro against him(camp him or combo him) ROB can use Peach's turnips against her. ROBs GT links into stuff and can just help him get away quickly. Also offstage for Peach is tough. Since her airdodge is so bad she has a hard time avoiding laserkills and can get killed offstage. If peach recovers low. ROB just needs to grab the ledge then fastfall a bAir. If she recovers high she might have some more options recovering high but that is still very risky. Also ROB can SDI out of the dAir and fAir her in the face with teh clamps.

What Peaches should look out for:
-Peaches need to watch out for uSmash. I am about 90% sure that it does out-range your dAir. and if you become careless with your float you will be killed long before your time.
-ROB's item game is comparable to your own. Remember that.
-Always harass R.O.B's blindspot when it is open.
-Harass R.O.B's recovery but do not leave the stage or edge. Stagespikes can happen if the ROB spaces a bAir nAir or fAir while recovering.(or even a gyro) Hopping off the ledge to nAirs are pretty good. and if he flies over the ledge uAir can do some damage.If I remember anything else I will post it.
I hope this helps everyone.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
This matchup is dumb for Peach >_<. Maybe I just don't know the matchup well enough, but I feel that it's slightly in Rob's favor(55-45), but that may be due to me being bad vs Rob. I rarely have the chance to pull turnips because of Rob's laser/gyro shenanigens. If I pull from far away, Rob can laser me, toss a gyro, and approach to get a better stage position.

Does Rob beat all of Peach's approaches? If I dair too early, Rob's fair beats it out, and if I glide-toss approach, I eat a D-smash if I get too close or f-tilt if I'm too far. Rob just outranges Peach in general. I'll just wait for some more responses...

Bees!

Smash Ace
This matchup is dumb for Peach >_<. Maybe I just don't know the matchup well enough, but I feel that it's slightly in Rob's favor(55-45), but that may be due to me being bad vs Rob. I rarely have the chance to pull turnips because of Rob's laser/gyro shenanigens. If I pull from far away, Rob can laser me, toss a gyro, and approach to get a better stage position.

Does Rob beat all of Peach's approaches? If I dair too early, Rob's fair beats it out, and if I glide-toss approach, I eat a D-smash if I get too close or f-tilt if I'm too far. Rob just outranges Peach in general. I'll just wait for some more responses...
ROB may outrange Peach but Peach is far more agile. Flexible and such. Spacing against ROB is tricky but once you realize that you can get around these with Peach's mobility it makes it harder for ROB. You can punish fTilt if you avoid it then move in. Perfectly spaced nairs will lead into jabs and are unpublishable. Generally if you approach with the GT can you SH over the dsmashand hover over him with dAirs?

Also ROBs projectiles for the most part are easily avoided. Mainly by powershielding. You just have to know what to look for.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
HIS NAME IS ROBERT!
Sometimes Roberto.

Finally, a match-up I'm knowledgeable with! I'm always facing Bees in tournament and I live down the hall from a former ranked Rob, and his Rob playing teammate! In my opinion the match-up is even, sliding toward Peach. Between 55-45 and 60-40 is where I'm jumping around, dependent on how much random momentum Bees gains.

The thing with Rob is that he has a bunch of random "holes". What I mean is Rob has exploitable pockets of lag and whatnot littered around his moveset and everything he does. I play this match-up by poking these holes over and over - the kill comes eventually.

The key to all these pokes is turnips. Essentially they are easy, long ranged, and fast pokes. Touching Peach's shield with anything that lags results in a turnip hit - which combos into everything. Rob has lag when he touches your shield, so the goal is to get in with a turnip, shield, OOS turnip, link to stuff, harass him when he is defensive in the air (which he sucks at), and eventually he dies. :p

Lemme describe the best course of action based on situation below.

Neutral Situation (Neither has the lead, both in the same position)
Basically, at the beginning of the match the absolute goal is to find a turnip safely. This is easiest on stages that begin you on platforms like Battlefield or Pokemon Stadium - simply start off the match by ledge-canceling a turnip into an airdodge. You'll have the turnip while simultaneously avoiding that annoying "starting laser". Otherwise, wait for the spam. Shield the laser and in the lag, bonewalk a turnip forward, same deal if he chooses to charge the gyro.

Powershield and get it in.

He'll commit to whatever trying to keep you out, OOS turnip it. You are now granted access to your preferred orifice. Commence ****.

Shorthop dair anything he wants to do on the ground. This includes his dsmash.

Once he's in the air: uair. Forever. Really, just keep jumping and uairing - his dair is too slow to protect him. He can only choose to juke though you, or move around you.

Once he begins to get away, choose between two options: a) allow him to reset, grab a turnip yourself, and repeat, or b) harass his landing.

I Choose Harassing (Rob is trying to land)
If he's trying to land on platforms, do the usual. Utilt, uair, usmash, SH nair, etc.

Otherwise, get under him and throw turnips up at him. If he chooses to land through you, he's either covering himself with an aerial or an airdodge. If airdodge: float nair or pivot grab. If aerial: ftilt. It'll beat everything out with speed and range.

Good catch-all otherwise: dash attack his landing.

If he chooses to go around you and you're forced to deal with him on an even plane in the air: use bair. Whenever engaging Rob in the air, speed is key. Bair will beat or trade with his fair and beat his nair. Avoid using fair in this match-up, it's simply too slow.

Rob Recovering (Rob is returning to the stage)
Throw turnips. If you want, chase with float. It's very rewarding if you go all the way out and hit, and if you don't you'll just eat a fair or whatever and make it back before he does. Avoid doing this anywhere near the ledge - you'll get stage spiked.

Once at the ledge, if he tries to go around, invinci-nair.

Otherwise, let him have it and find the spacing to skim him with ftilt if he tries to get off. At this spacing, bair anything he tries doing. Don't go for a turnip, simply keep landing and jumping back into bair position. Ftilt works as well, but doesn't keep him in the trap.

If he goes under, bonewalk and forward glidetoss to the other side to get there before he does.

Peach Wants to Camp (Peach has the lead)
She can too. Steal the gyro, shield the laser that has to recharge, and run around or whatever. An approaching Rob is much easier to handle, basically the same OOS plan, but with a better projectile.

Uhh, what else? This is getting long, so I'll stop here. I'll answer questions if there are any.

Summary
OOS turnip anything he touches your shield with.
SH dair him on the ground.
Uair juggle him in the air.
Beat his air and ledge game with bair.

Oh, and don't ever let him grab a beamsword. omgnooooooooooooooooooooooo

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Is it advisable to use Bair before or after ROB has used his aerials? Or does it depend on which aerial it is? Just curious about how I should go about using Bair

What do you do if ROB is repeatedly using Bairs, both SH and FJ? The fire beats out your attacks and the pushback he gets from Bair makes it very hard to punish. I've mainly been using Dash Attack to catch him out before the Bair comes out as hes falling to the floor but anything else I could do would be nice

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The way I use bair is by pretending I have Rob's fair. I just whack him out of everything he wants to do before he does it. Plus it helps to stop nair way before it has a chance to be a threat.

Against Rob's bair, dash attack is an excellent answer. Otherwise, it's not exactly fast. An aggressive bair or ftilt will beat it. Or you can always just shield and glidetoss upwards.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Oh, and don't ever let him grab a beamsword. omgnooooooooooooooooooooooo
^that MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! Also when R.O.B. gets the beamsword he transforms into General Grievous.

Also don't forget to tell them about the bomb omb. If I laser it it will detonate.(Like Snake's nades)

Nicole

Smash Champion
Rob = a really gay match.

Rob is the most boring char to play against. I don't find him to be terribly difficult to play against, as long as you're careful with your approaches and keep an eye on his gyro/lazor status, and that you don't challenge Nair or ever rush him if you're behind him in the air (Bair...ugh). It's boring because you have to play really slow and really patient the whole match, even if you've got a commanding lead.

You can float off and kill ROB off the ledge pretty easily though.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I really like the Peach match up. :)

But it's not as fun when I'm using peach, lol, I'd rather use Mario or just ditto them. Pretty even match up really.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I don't mind the Peach MU anymore ever since I started using the reverse b thing with gyro. Also It teaches you to always DI so you minimize juggling. I hate ROB dittos though. I just suck at them. Also I have never played a good Mario main like Botastic so idk how that MU goes. But Peach ROB is kind of fun if your R.O.B. idk if Meno likes that MU from his side though >:D

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
55-45 Slight Peach Advantage

It'll turn into 60-40 once I start wrecking other top Robs besides Bees.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Metatitan

Smash Master
I'm clueless about this MU. All I know is both characters have great Fairs, ROB's F Tilt is really good and you can Fair his shield and punish his missed shield with a f smash (I think even tipper racket).

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I'd say this match up is close to 50-50. Campy ROBs are annoying to fight, but Peach knows how to camp right back. Unfortunately, ROB is a stupid, heavy POS that never dies!! Combo'ing him is equally devastating though. :)

Bees!

Smash Ace
I'm clueless about this MU. All I know is both characters have great Fairs, ROB's F Tilt is really good and you can Fair his shield and punish his missed shield with a f smash (I think even tipper racket).
For all of you Peaches. If you space your fAirs prefectly it will shield poke everytime(unless the ROB powershields) Even then he has no other option than to get jabbed. However if you don't space fAir right you will get grabbed. Also fsmash is risky. The only time Meno gets that on me is if I am stupid(which although I am stupid a lot of the time) even so I don't think he has ever killed me with an fSmash in a seriously or tourney match.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I would take this as a challenge or dis but I am taking it as a compliment, here's why

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH
once I start wrecking other top Robs besides Bees.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH

other top Robs besides Bees.
other top Robs besides Bees.
thank you Meno!

Metatitan

Smash Master
I think if you DI towards ROB when he's attempting a WoP you can combo break with Uair (I know you can with Nair). Uair->Utilt is usually guaranteed so that's a 26% punishment or so.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I think if you DI towards ROB when he's attempting a WoP you can combo break with Uair (I know you can with Nair). Uair->Utilt is usually guaranteed so that's a 26% punishment or so.
That might work if the ROB is getting greedy(Or if he goes for consecutive fAirs). Usually though the ROB will DI away and fAir again(If he knows the MU) Its a safer option and it gives ROB many more safe options. Also allows ROB space for more camping(Puts ROB at his prime range.)
The Peach will have to have to be careful and not to be predictable with your floating and DI. That is the best way to get in on ROB.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
I enjoy this MU. Especially when I was playing Chibo on tournament. I don't have much experiance with ROB but I usually win. But the move I dislike of his is the bair. Chibo used it very well and I was always like it still hits?! XD I say this MU is even. Id think Chibo would also agree

Purple

Hi guys!
What are good stages for ROB in the neutral list? For Peach? Who has it better? etc...

umm.. this thread Died, thought i'd revive it for the time being.

Let's start with the basics of rob.. assuming that we all know how to play a basic peach

[Basics of R.O.B, as said by Rickery-Doo-Da-Day]
RDDD's post on ROB said:
What to Watch out For:
-Auto and well spaced aerials
-Campers (top and laser, especially when recovering in the air)
-High priority aerials
-Quick and near lagless side step
With this being said, we can (sad to say) theorycraft a bit on good options. These options obviously need to be tested to see if viable.

[Potential Options against R.O.B]

While floating, he can use his aerials to punish our float. That being said, floating aimlessly in would be extremely dangerous. An option to stop this (i think) is if R.O.B is grounded for whatever reason, throw a turnip and follow it quickly with a d-air, this allows you to get in without allowing R.O.B the time to do an aerial out of shield. I can see R.O.B stopping this by lasering through the turnip and hitting us, however his gyro would not be able to stop this approach.

If he's given the opportunity to camp, he will camp us. He F-tilt comes out fast, and unless we're really close to him, it's hard to punish (if we're really close inside him, we can Nair OoS). Because of this, we need to quickly approach him and not take meaningless damage, this works the same way as Samus in a sorts, however R.O.B has more holes than Samus when it comes to projectiles.

Depending on how the R.O.B plays, we should react to how he reacts via Roll. If he D-Smashes after a roll, he will more than likely rely on it's high priority and difficulty to punish to make a 'safe' choice. ROB players, if Peach is floating at R.O.B's head, will she get hit by R.O.B's D-Smash?. If we see him continuously shielding after a roll, we can begin shield pressure accordingly, or go for a grab.

This is just some really basic stuff I thought of. I wouldn't worry about R.O.B getting a sword, because there is a light chance of us receiving the item anyways.

Purple

Hi guys!
Double posting to show this thread up with the rest of them. I'm sure I made a lot of silly errors and misconceptions in this small write-up. I haven't played a R.O.B player in a LONG time (however, he was one of the best in the southeast at the time), and even then, I used other characters besides lovely Peach.

Top Bottom