• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 35 Matchup Discussion: Samus!

Padô

Smash Lord
First of all, thank you guys for hyping so much the Yoshi discussion, maybe it was the best discussion we have ever had(excluding the top tier of course), once again you rocked it out. Thank you so much!

This week we are discussing a character that PX loves to Fair its projectiles:

SAMUS

People who played/play Xyro77 (in case he name searches) be sure to share your knowledge here.

Good Discussion.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
You can actually mess up zair spacing by crouching at close range. Uair could be used as a damage racker, which isn't much of a deal since Samus isn't quite the star at covering her landing (read: lulz fsmash). Shieldcamping is fine because there's little she can do about it. I won't give a ratio since I suck at those, but it's quite in Wario's favor.

Just quick stuff here, might add more later if no one else sees himself capable of doing so.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I have experience against Kadaj's Samus.

Fair offstage helps a lot.

Just be careful for the Zair throught platforms when you're edgeguarding.

P~X where you at!?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Samus mainly has Z-air, missiles, and F-air to an extent for this'n. Wario outmaneuvers her 7-9 times/10 in the air, has KO power, and quicker moves(U-air is her fastest non-projectile move, and it isn't exactly easy to use here. In the air, dodging/DIing out of it could leave her open for a U-air clap, while on a grounded opponent, tilting your shield up/powershielding it = F-smash all day). To worsen this, Samus has limited grab options here, due to her hella laggy grab(even pivot/dash grabbing leaves her open) and no guaranteed grab-release shenanigans. Overall Z-air will be the most annoying thing for Wario, IMO. Watch out for projectiles, particularly charge shot from an unpredictable user of it. Make revisions/additional notes/let other people do it/etc later.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
About everything Lord Chair said could fill this.

There isn't much you need to know when fighting Samus, all you need to know if how to escape projectile spam and just don't try to gimp her. Trying to gimp Samus is the same as SD'ing, so a big NONO.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
This matchup is so stupid. Wario wins, but it takes so long. A really good friend of mine has an awesome Samus, but I wont play it anymore because it's lead to some of the dumbest matches I've ever played.

You can play pretty aggressively (aggressive, not reckless) without being in too much danger. Approaching with powershields is the best option. You can get frame trapped air dodging through stuff. You wont take much damage if you do get trapped though, it'll just make you lose some of the space you've been trying to close.
You'll push through their bull**** and get them on the ledge. Up-B is annoying on the ledge. I'm not sure if anything Wario has beats it except for invincible ledge dropped aerials. Stage spiking with Bair and Nair is probably your easiest kill method off stage. You can Fair her away, but her recovery is pretty ok and she might get back. Zair has some crazy range for snapping the ledge.
You could probably try anticipating the Zair and just Nairing to the point where they swing down, but I've never tried it.
Everything Samus has at close range is pretty much trash. D-tilt is slow and predictable so expect to live to stupid high percents.
The only close up stuff I've seen work for her is reading my cross-up and then she retreating Dair spikes me into the ground and Nairs me away. But yeah, Samus can't cover her landings so land some wafts.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
About everything Lord Chair said could fill this.

There isn't much you need to know when fighting Samus, all you need to know if how to escape projectile spam and just don't try to gimp her. Trying to gimp Samus is the same as SD'ing, so a big NONO.
I can gimp anything.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Oh and stages.

FD- Oh god please no. Ban this stage on CP.
BF- Not too bad. Gives Wario so more approaching options. Protip: If you can put a bike on the platform on the side of the stage they are on it blocks missiles. If their missile is stale it'll take like 4 or 5 missiles before it breaks giving you plenty of time to get at them. Learn the magic place that makes it so when you bike jump and jump off it'll land it on the opposite platform.
Yoshi's- ???? I don't know. I don't remember ever trying it.
Lylat- Doesn't give an advantage one way or another, but it's rather long and you could probably do better.
Delfino- I think this might be Samus' second best stage. I'm not sure why, but I remember Hot Kaarl having some success here. Probably something to do with sharking.
Figate- The first transformation is awesome for Wario. Go all out here and try and take a stock. On the second transformation play more conservative and hope it changes back.
Brinstar- This stage makes Zair stay out forever. I know everyone loves this stage, but I couldn't get this to work for me.

Actually DMG and Masky might like FD. It'll make the match horribly campy and I know how much you guys dig that.

Throwback

Smash Lord
a couple of samus bits to watch out for - uair spam, I don't know if it beats dair from below but I'm pretty sure it will from the side. Also samus is excellent at shield poking (pretty much every move except dtilt will poke), and her smash missile in particluar does great shield damage. She's also very good at edgeguarding, watch out for a deceptively long-ranged utilt when coming off the ledge.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Uair spam is really terrible against Wario. It really only works if you predict a dair, it doesn't beat Wario's bair, fair, airdodge or ground approach. Spamming renders the fact that it beats dair null and void, since Wario really has way more options than dair approaching.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
I really like Lylat against Samus. The platforms work in our favour, and the tilting can really mess with their recovery. I do NOT like Yoshi's or FD, though. Platforms HELP with air-camping, lol.

No Samus in a right state of mind will take a Wario, or better yet any character except Sonic, to Yoshi's.

Top Bottom