• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mayweather effect- A wario Synopsis

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

Table of Contents
  • Intro
  • Adapt
  • Bait and Punish
  • Patience
  • Conclusion

Intro

I was watching the Mayweather vs Mosley fight and was simply astonished one at how Mayweather utterly dominated the fight and two about by pretty much how perfect he was after he almost went down in round two. Then the comments about how Mayweather's defensive style of fighting got me to thinking. Mayweather with a shorter reach was able to get in out Mosley counter attack and barely get hit. This instantly made me think of Wario. I felt as though some expect of Mayweather's style could be applied to Wario because of Mayweather's defensive ability coupled with him not having the reach advantage and his willingness to win on time. Mayweather won the fight by unanimous decision winning 11 of the 12 rounds, The one round he lost was the on where he almost got knocked down. Mosley never landed a shot on him like that again. Which brings me to my first point.

Adapt

Adapting just as Mayweather adapted to the pressure but on by Mosley you must be able to adapt to what you're opponent is doing. However, you just can't adapt to what they are doing you must also adapt to the character they're using. For starters you can not play MK the same way you'd play against a Diddy Kong. As that is true you also can not play different people and except the same play styles. Throughout the course of a match their a multitude of different options understanding your opponents options and use will be the key to success. Because of Wario's lack of range typically an opponent will try to wall you or just use their priority to beat out you're moves. You must be able to adapt to this and figure out different ways to get inside and punish. As a Wario main you cannot force the issue. Wario's range is not good enough and neither is his priority. So no matter if you want to be an aggro Wario or a run away Wario the bottom line is you will need patient and you have to be able to play off of your opponent.

Bait and Punish

Baiting and Punishing after the Mayweather fight they showed how many punches were thrown both fighters throw over 400 punches Mayweather landed over 200 under Mosley landed 90. What this tells me is that even though Mayweather had less range had to get inside on Mosley he was still able to bait Mosley to through a punch counter and punish him for it. I think that baiting and punishing is huge for Wario this may be what sets other wario's apart. The better you are at punishing some one the more doubt you can put into some one. If you start punishing moves that people feel are safe you begin to take them out of their comfort zone. With Wario he can punish people's mistakes and punish them hard for it, This is where Wario's aerial mobility shines at in my opinion. With his aerial mobility you should be able to weave in and out of people's range and be able to bait attacks. Sometimes people become predictable on their own like when you're at kill percentages and they start fishing for grabs.

Patience

Mayweather is a very patient boxer he doesn't rush at you and try to knock you out in the first round like Mike Tyson. But instead he simply out boxes you makes you look stupid and if need be takes the fight to time. Patience is huge for Wario for multiple reason the first and most obvious is waft. With extraordinary killing power that has to be charged the more patient you are the more deadly you become. This move can kill as early as 60 when done at the right time depending on the character. With that in mind you should always aim to land these. Mid percentage kills like this are amazing because it will start to mess with your opponents head and can force a lot of pressure into them. It can also extend leads and break matches wide open and you can literally pull a win out of your ***. The second reason you need to be patient is to be able to adapt to the things your opponent is doing. In order to pick up on their patterns you need to read them and play safe and try to bait responses from them. Once you do that just store it in your mind and start to punish them for the things they're doing. Thirdly is with Wario lack of range and priority you need patient the more you rush in and try to be super aggro the worse it's going to be for you. Even if you're down or you need to be patient and wait for your time to strike landing a waft can change the out come of matches. Winning on time isn't horrible either.

Conclusion

Like I said the watching the fight made me think of this. I'm not sure if it will be helpful to anyone but felt as though I should at least post it. If need be I will add more to it if I think of something else. But for Right now this should be enough. I hope someone gets something out of reading this. Also want everyone to remember that Wario is truly an unique character who can be played a multiple of ways whether it be aggressive or run away it doesn't matter. There isn't one specific way to play him so be creative come up with your own style make your style of Wario your own.

Padô

Smash Lord
A really good read. Definetely.

I can't tell this is a Guide, It's definetely REALLY good on comparisons and stuff, It's more like a synthesis from Wario actual standard gameplay. I don't even know how to explain this, it's just really really good for those people who doens't get Wario at all.

Good ****.

Padô

Smash Lord
After reading this again, I think patience is the most important topic simply because it englobes all the other ones.
Definetely a really good read for new Warios.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Awww you really play too much brawl when you watch boxing and think of wario (smirk)

Top Bottom