• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Online: The Wi-Fi Thread *Looking For New Owner*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Link Online:
The Wi-Fi Thread

Table of Contents:

I. The Thread
II. User List
III. Upcoming Events

I. The Thread

In this thread you will find a list of the frequent posters here in the Link Boards and their locations and friend codes. The idea is to provide an opportunity to easily pick out fellow Link mains that will most likely have a decent connection to practice against

Regular events will also take place on the SWF Link Boards; the announcements of said events will be listed here- in section III. Events will include online activities such as tournaments, free-for-all matches, practice sessions, friendlies, and maybe even Link Board ranked matches. A brief description as well as the time of each event will be listed here, but a more detailed set of information will be PMed to each member who has given me their information for this thread before the event takes place.

Which brings me to the next order of business- please leave your location and friend code for me to update this thread with.

Happy Smashing!

II. User List:

Arizen :: Colorado :: 2921-8779-7000

G.i.R. :: Midwest United States :: 4297-0970-6968

Garuena :: South Ontario :: 0474-3462-6125

Huggles828 :: East Coast :: 2063-1831-5428/1762-4352-9881

Negi :: Hawaii :: 3952-6726-3327

quirkynature :: East Coast :: 1677-5717-8402

Scabe :: Australia :: 1032-6545-6977

Thunder of Zeus :: East Coast :: 4597-3826-1608

XavonNG :: East Coast :: 2622-3212-2051

III. Upcoming events:

Events Format:
Title: (Event Title)
Description: (A short description of the event).
Time: (Time of event)
Attendees: (List of those expected to attend)

Title: Link Boards Wi-Fi Power Rankings Showdown
Description: Any Link Mains who can make it will go through a series of matches against his/her fellow Link Board members. The more matches you win, the higher your power ranking will be. When the next showdown rolls around, challenges will be thrown down to take titles that you believe should be yours.
Time: June 25th, 2010
Attendees: Huggles828, Negi, quirkynature, Scabe, Thunder of Zeus

I'd assume that's an important issue to address, Quirky.

Australia is 14 hours ahead of New York and 18 hours ahead of California (although, going backwards, Cali will get a better connection since they only have a time difference of 6 hours rather than 10 hours).

So...

First things first: Designate a Tourney Organizer (TO).

If the plan was to do Round Robin style playing (where everyone plays everybody):
-Everyone needs to post the times they will be available to play, or PM or VM that to the TO.

The TO needs to:
-Find the difference in times and make a table of when everyone's times to play match up.
-Set up matches between people, determining the best way to match everyone up so that everyone gets the best chance of being able to play everyone else.
-PM, VM or simply post the tourney matchups here. Be aware of the difference in time zones, and if PM or VMing the matches be sure to write the times of matches according to the time zone of the person you are writing to. It might be a hassle for the TO to figure everyone's time zones out, but it will be a bigger hassle when people try to figure out the time zones for themselves and mess up the times they are able to play each other. At least if the TO makes a mistake and someone figures it out beforehand, the TO can post a notice to everyone to adjust their TO-synchronized playtimes ahead or behind a couple of hours rather than trying to help every individual person try to confirm that their calendar of times to play is correct.
-Set up any specific rules that you want the tourney matches to be set by, such as number of games played per person (such as best of 3). Keep them simple and short; people may only be able to get on WiFi for 15 minutes before getting back to something else.

When tourney day comes, everybody needs to:
-Keep Xat open whenever you are online.
-Be flexible. Everyone has a lot of stuff to deal with IRL, so getting impatient when people need to change times is Be aware that schedules are tentative for everyone and subject to change; this isn't a massive, rule-bound tourney: You are here to have fun playing each other and should carry the pleasant, relaxed attitude into setting up matches and not just being friendly while playing the matches. Each person will have one thing or another come up; being nice to others often means they'll be nice to you when you have something come up.
-Adhere to the charts as best as you can. When you and another person you haven't played yet are on, but your match with another player is in fifteen minutes, don't join in with the player who is currently on.
-Off that note, adhere to the chart, but if you can't, try and make a post here that times have changed. Be courteous to the people who are waiting for you--try not to come in at the last minute or 2 hours later and say, "Sorry I couldn't make it." Be early with letting people know rather than late. The people waiting on you are real people, sitting boredly at their computers, waiting for you to be polite enough to let them know something is up. If you can't make it, make it easier on them and let them know that they can be getting something IRL done in the meantime, too.

The TO needs to:
-Be ready to add all point totals up. As each individual will have known this was just for fun, showing how each person fared against the others is probably the funnest part of the tourney. Each person will be terrifically excited and want to talk to each other about all their matches and speculate about how other people's matches went, how they played, and any other particulars. Hashing out the details between other people's fights is a lot of fun for the new players, and discussing particulars of their fights with the new players and showing them how things went is a lot of fun for the veterans, too. Post those results and let people talk about this tourney and how fun it was for a long time. This also has the added bonus of helping people discover where their chinks and flaws are. A player might notice a surprising loss from another player and be intrigued enough to ask. Together, they take note of something that the original player hadn't realized was a flaw before and they both progress while also building bonds.

Remember, this tourney is about:
-Building bonds. You're getting to know your fellow board members and therefore becoming more enabled to post meaningfully on the discussions on the forums. People will be able to see flaws and strengths in your arguments after playing you and having learned a little better where you are coming from to be able to contribute to the boards.
-Having fun. No one's determining the best Link; heck, this is WiFail. Discrepancies and random losses that should not have happened under any normal circumstance are the norm for WiFi and should be laughed about. Not a single competitor cares about how it was your fingers that slipped and caused you to SD and how if you hadn't then you would have had the most terrific KO opportunity ever. Everybody around you, no matter how skilled, made a lot of slip-ups too. The only difference is they know to laugh about it because it is so common that it is inconsequential. Lighten up and laugh, because that's the main purpose of the tourney.
-Becoming better players: Some of us are limited to WiFi; some of us are hoping to become top dogs in our regions; some of us are here just to get a taste of what competitive Smash is like and maybe make some friends in the process. Serious critiquing can be saved for another circumstance, but a little bit of "You should try to avoid rolling into my smashes" or "just mash up and you'll get out of my jab combo" never goes amiss. We all like having fun and improving at the same time. Compliment on what your competitors are doing right and give a little boost up on what you notice they're doing wrong.
-Showing respect: You're respecting other people here as you play. No matter how disorganized things may get, you're always dealing with other people who want to have fun as much as you do. Their respect will grow for you as you show your respect for them.

I bolded "everybody" and "Tourney Organizer" as well as color-coded them to help figure out who should be adhering to what. Green is for the TO and Magenta is for everyone involved in the activity.
I really hope this helps you guys get a leg-up to making the tourney a successful one. I'll be missing you all.
Of course, feel free to change this, add to it, or tell me where I'm wrong as you like: It's only a suggestion. Good luck!
<embed src="http://www.xatech.com/web_gear/chat/chat.swf" quality="high" width="640" height="480" name="chat" FlashVars="id=99187786" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://xat.com/update_flash.shtml" /><br><small><a target="_BLANK" href="http://xat.com/web_gear/?cb">Get your own Chat Box!</a> <a target="_BLANK" href="http://xat.com/web_gear/chat/go_large.php?id=99187786">Go Large!</a></small><br>

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Add me in! Brawl FC: 1032-6545-6977

I'll probably lag with everyone seeing as I live in Australia but I'm willing to give the connection a try ;)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Nonsense! Everyone knows MetaKnight da bess (although I have heard you're pretty good, Afro).

Also, I just realized, my FC is gonna be different since I'm at my parents' house for the summer, so I'll be on my brother's Wii. I'll post the FC as soon as I get home tonight to figure out what it is.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
:/ I would, Scabe, but it's already 2:30 AM over here, and I'm about to go to bed for church tomorrow. I'd love to get some matches in against you, but we'd need to set up a time, since there's a huge time difference with you over in Australia. What time is it for you, or how many time zones over are you from Eastern Standard Time?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
So you're 14 hours ahead of East Coast then... well, we could shoot for 11 pm over here, 1 pm over there sometime. I'll have to look at my work schedule and try to find out when is best for me. I'm kinda interested to see how much lag there is halfway across the world, haha.

EDIT: OK, I said my FC is gonna be different since I'm gonna likely be on my brother's Wii over the summer. His Friend Code, which I'd be using, is 1762-4352-9881. I think the name for teh account is Herbert (HRBRT, after that creepy old guy in Family Guy).

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Woo going to play Huggles, I'll add both FC's.

Edit: GG's Huggles, I had heaps of fun, your Link's really good, I can tell it be so much better without the lag. I saved a few of the matches which I might upload for ya.

As you can tell my Link is quite bad in lag. :p

Though the lag was bad, I think it would've been alright if my family wasn't using the net.

I look forward to playing you again!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, it was a ton of fun! There were spikes where the lag made it almost unplayable, but it wasn't too bad other than that. It was true, though, I was getting away with all kinds of silly things and crazy mistakes that I shouldn't have (haha, I loved our grab fail combo. Took like 4 tries for one of us to grab the other as we tried to punish the grab's lag with the wifi lag). I could definitely see you would have played well without the lag, and dodged several bullets because of it when it spiked XD

All things considered, for us being about as far apart as physically possible on earth, the lag, minus the spikes, really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was surprised.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Arrrgggghhh, pharmacy rotation!

This is my last week, and I'll be busy this weekend, but starting this coming Monday, I'll be a little more free to play people on wifi if anyone wants.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hmm i need to play other Link players here.

Let me know if anyone wants to play here. though keep in mind im from hawaii.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
My fast net will be back tommorow I think. Depending on if I can go to a tourney this weekend it might have to wait though. I really want to WiFi you guys. :)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Hey guys. I'll be on for the next four or five hours if any of you want to play.

4253-3292-0117

Just catch me on xat. :3

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
NOOOOO!!!!! Just missed you Ano.

I'll be on for the next hour and a half or so if anyone wants to play. I need to start getting ready for bed though at about 1 AM though to make it to work tomorrow, so I probably can't play more than an hour or so.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
So until this thread is booming with activity, I think that we should give times in the near future when we will be available rather than post when we are.

I'll be available... Saturday evening. I'm not good, so don't expect anything.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, good idea ToZ. I've been busy with work, but I finish up tomorrow, so after that I can start planning more than that evening in advance.

Sadly, I'm out and about most weekends and already have plans for Saturday :(

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Bump.

The Link Boards Power Rankings have a date. Be there or be last on our list. You may ONLY participate if you have submitted your information to this thread. Please do that.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
YEEEAAAAHHHHHH!

My Friend Code is gonna be different over the summer since I'm at my parents' house and using my brother's Wii. It's gonna be 1762-4352-9881. The name is HRBRT. As far as I know I don't have anything the night of the 25th, so I should be able to make it.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
My net should be up and running by tomorrow 12 (Eastern), latest 2. I'll be online from then to roughly two hours on. I'll edit this post to confirm.

As for the 25th, I think I'd like to join up. It'll be a good learning experience if nothing else.

Name: Qrky: 1677-5717-8402: New York

Edit: I finally got my wireless router to start working, but the wifi has 1 second lag. Regardless, I've added Scabe's FC code to my list.

Edit2: Wifi keeps giving me an error message now. Reconfigure time. Today seems out of the box. Sorry, Scabe.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Oh that sounds interesting. I'll join even though i suck at dittos.

Negi:3952-6726-3327:Hawaii

G.i.R.

Smash Rookie
hey. i might be able to play during the summer, if i can get my wii to connect to my mom's wireless.
my BFC is: 4297-0970-6968 so add me and i'll add you all when i get the chance. i might be able to attend on the 25th. i live in the Midwest of the U.S. hope to play some of you! :D

Scabe

Successful Businessman
GG Huggles, except lag killed you so many times. :urg:

I saved one match and that was the ditto on Lylat Cruise since I think you didn't have any SD's there.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, awesome games! (Well, except for some of them, like that Ness one :/ Ness = super fail on wifi) That lag was a little worse for me than last time, I dunno if that's just 'cuz I was hosting or not, but I know my brother was watching Youtube clips, which probably didn't help. Something tells me that's just part of playing Australia to the East Coast of America though, haha. Your Link was nasty as always Scabe!

Actually, I was kinda glad we ended when we did, my next random was Meta Knight. I'd have had to commit SD three times if we'd played that one, since I won't play MK on principle :D

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Okay:

Next Tuesday from approximately noon East Coast time to about 5 PM East Coast is the time I'll be around to play wifi with people. It's finals week for me (Spring semester, only like 7 weeks total), and I never care during finals week and still get unexplanably awesome grades, so I have no concern whatsoever about doing this.

Play me one last time people!

EC is two hours off from my time, which I bring up because in two weeks I'll be about two hours off from Scabe's time. And I won't even be able to see him. ;_; So close yet so far away.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I really need to learn timezones. I wonder what time that would be for me. I'll try catch you, we never got to play D:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
REDITING POST FOR TOTAL TIME FAILURE

I really need to learn timezones. I wonder what time that would be for me. I'll try catch you, we never got to play D:
At the time of this post:
Sydney, Australia: Thursday, 11:45 AM.
Salt Lake City, USA: Wednesday, 7:45 PM.

I went by East Coast time thinking you'd know it, but apparently you don't, so we'll go by MY TIME.

Now time for math: 8 PM, 9 PM, 10 PM, 11 PM, 12 AM, 1 AM, 2 AM, 3 AM, 4 AM, 5 AM, 6 AM, 7 AM, 8 AM, 9 AM, 10 AM, 11 AM
That adds up to: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
So we have a 16 hour time difference.
I will be on at 11 AM-3 or 4 PM my time.
Counting forward 16 hours...
3 AM-7 or 8 AM your time.

Sacrifice for me Scabe, sacrifice :tired:

I had the math right the first time I added it up, dangit. :mad:

In Suva, Fiji the time is currently 1:45 PM, or two hours off from Sydney. My math skillz are 1337

XavonNG

Smash Rookie
I'm curious to see how I'd do. I'm on the east coast, I wouldn't mind trying to find a match that doesn't lag either.

BFC: 2622-3212-2051
Name: Kal

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'm curious to see how I'd do. I'm on the east coast, I wouldn't mind trying to find a match that doesn't lag either.

BFC: 2622-3212-2051
Name: Kal
Post days/times you are available as well so we can, you know, actually catch you at a time you're on and play you. :redx:

XavonNG

Smash Rookie
I'm available at most any time on any day really, I'll just work around whatever you guys decide.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Then sign up for the June 25th event mentioned at the bottom of the Original Post. That would be a great place to get your bearings around here.

XavonNG

Smash Rookie
Then sign up for the June 25th event mentioned at the bottom of the Original Post. That would be a great place to get your bearings around here.
Oh, I thought that's what I was doing already?

My apologies, I've been following this board for a while now but I just created an account so I could start being a member of the community. I'm not entirely used to the format of how things work yet.

But yeah sure sign me up, I don't see a link (no pun intended :p) anywhere so I assume I just say it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom