• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive 'Dex Discussion: Alterations, corrections, etc.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Note: There has been a interest in keeping up with a competitive dex despite the obvious fact that we are not one of the popular pokemon sites. Due the upcoming BW metagame many shown in increased interest in starting "fresh" with the next generation. With that in mind if there are those who would be interested in updating pages for pokemon please contact me. I only ask that you don't apply if you don't have particularly strong writing skills or a decent knowledge of competitive battling.

This thread is for discussion regarding 'dex layout, alterations and anything else related to the competitive dex.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Definitely applying for this.

I did make that list after all :p
Not to sound pessimistic, but everything we can do, Smogon can do better.

But, it sounds interesting, so I'm interested.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I vote we only do stuff on Gen V Pokemon, so right off the bat we get completely new sets for completely new Pokemon.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
So we supposed to be requesting which Pokemon we want to write for? How many sets are we doing? Are there guidelines for how we should writer each analysis?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I vote we only do stuff on Gen V Pokemon, so right off the bat we get completely new sets for completely new Pokemon.
I don't think there's a reason to ONLY do Gen V. If Mr. Celebi wants to do Celebi, wynaut. Prioritizing Gen V makes more sense, though.

Dibs on Smugleaf's full evolution.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We'll do this right off the bat because if we work fast enough we can get the sets done faster than Smogon.

I call Wooguru

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
We'll do this right off the bat because if we work fast enough we can get the sets done faster than Smogon.

I call Wooguru
So should I just start writing sets for Pokemon now? I wanna start this. XD
Though it would be better if we all followed to same format or something.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I call Munna's final evolved form. That thing is so cute. <3

Oh yeah, and I guess I'll sign up in the event that I'll likely start playing a lot again when 5th gen is released.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm not going to give anyone dibs. Everyone is welcome to write for whichever pokemon they choose and the best will be chosen or merged together.

I'm going to sort out the thread business over the next few days. I'm kinda OCD when it comes to thread presentation so we'll see how it works out. :p

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Ok, for the next phase I'm going to need you guys to make threads. But don't do it just yet. I'll update again when we need them but I just want to give you guys a heads up to be on the lookout for this.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Proposal: only make threads for Pokémon if that same thread posted plans to do the analysis.

ss118

Smash Master
Now we don't know the mechanics for B/W(obviously), so I can't give a full-blown proposal for the layout: in the layout I propose, it assumes that IVs, EVs, and the way everything works stays similar to the way Gen IV does it.

Obviously the title should have the name of the pokemon, but it should also have the dex number. Nothing else is required, though if you wanted some flavor I guess people could have subtitles like:

151 Mew: In OU after all these years!

Of course, this title is an example. Anything would suffice.

The top of the page should have the title again, probably in big letters. Picture/ sprite would probably be good, as well as the typing, base stats, and abilities. In collapse tags we can have offensive+non-offensive movepools, with STAB options bolded and competitive options italicized(or vice versa). Maybe an introductory paragraph to introduce the pokemon.

Afterwards, sets can go up like this:

Set Name
Pokemon @ Item
Ability: Nature
[Anything Special is here: IVs or Level-based]
EVs
Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4

For the order of moves, we should probably go by importance(an SD set would have SD first, an all-attacking set for infernape would have Fire Blast/ Flamethrower, etc). After that, comments on how the set is played should go underneath: feel free to mention good partners, but don't worry about going into smogon's amount of detail. Just explain the set so that the most basic question is asked:

Why would I use this?

After that maybe have "Gimmicks" be a section where more gimmicky options are listed. Also have an EV section and a "check and counters" section where we discuss common methods to handling the discussed pokemon.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
000 Pokemon [Tier]: Subtitle

Pokemon

Type: Primary typing / secondary typing*
Ability: Ability #1 / Ability #2*
Base Stats: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0

[collapse=Offensive Moves]Moves receive STAB
Moves are competitive
[/collapse]

[collapse=Non-offensive Moves]Moves receive STAB
Moves are competitive
[/collapse]

Overview: Introduction

Set Name
Pokemon @ Item
Ability / Nature
Significant IV's*
EV Spread (HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe)
~ Move
~ Move
~ Move
~ Move
Analysis and summary of set. Teammates may be referred.

Set Name
Pokemon @ Item
Ability / Nature
Significant IV's*
~ Move
~ Move
~ Move
~ Move

Other Options: More moves / sets that would be considered gimmicky.

Checks / Counters: Checks and counters for Pokemon and various sets.

Conclusion: Wrap-up discussion / explanation. Why you should use this Pokemon.

*Where needed

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Lemme try this.

[collapse="Thread Title: <National Dex Number> <Name of Pokémon> - <Short Comment>"][size=3 ]<Pokémon Name>[/size ]

[img ]Sprite[/img]

Typing: <Primary Typing> / <Secondary Typing>
Ability: <Ability #1> / <Ability #2, alphabetical order>
Base Stats: <In order: HP, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe. No abbreviations, just numbers.>

<Summary of Changes to the Pokémon>

<Overview of Pokémon>

<Set Name>[/b ]
<Name> @ <Item>
<Ability> / <Nature>
EVs: <EV spread, in order: HP, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe, with those abbreviations. Spaces on both sides of slashes ("/") because it's grammatically incorrect not to do so.>
IVs: <Altered IVs only, same format as EVs>
-<Most important move, ties broken by alphabetical order>
-<Second most important move, include replaceable moves like so:> / <Optional move>
-<Third most important move>
-<Least important move>

<Set Summary>

<In-depth explanation of set>

<Explanation of EV spread and nature>

<Optional moves, if any>

<Teammates and Counters>

<Next set>[/collapse]

Ninja'd by Tery.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
If you want to include a list of moves I would suggest placing it near the bottom, because if a move is competitive it should be mentioned in a set. Even then 'other options' should cover it. Overall I would say I'm against the idea of including a general list of moves as it seems like unnecessary information. We're are going to be writing up a ton and I don't want to require more effort on the part of those involved if it's not needed. I believe our old analysis's contained this information and while I was for it at the time looking back I don't see the purpose.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
000 Pokemon [Tier]: Subtitle

Pokemon

Type: Primary typing / secondary typing*
Ability: Ability #1 / Ability #2*
Base Stats: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0

Overview: Introduction

Set Name
Pokemon @ Item
Ability / Nature
Significant IV's*
~ Move
~ Move
~ Move
~ Move

Set Name
Pokemon @ Item
Ability / Nature
Significant IV's*
~ Move
~ Move
~ Move
~ Move

Other Options: More moves / sets that would be considered gimmicky.

Checks / Counters: Checks and counters for Pokemon and various sets.

Conclusion: Wrap-up discussion / explanation. Why you should use this Pokemon.

*Where needed

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Update (7-20): Hey guys, the dex is going to be going up now. I'm going to start off by taking the first 10 pokemon and creating a thread for them. If you want to help take the next 10 after me. Anyone else take the next 10 and so on until we are finished. If you want to do this post in this thread letting everyone know so that we don't have repeat threads. As your opening post copy and paste the following message

"This is a thread created for the competitive pokedex project. Do not post here or you will be infracted. Thank you."

edit: Apparently I'm the only one here right now so I'm taking the next 10 pokemon after Arcanine.

edit: Now taking the next 10 after Bellossom.

SilentVerse

Smash Journeyman
Erm, Wave, Articanus is already doing that.

Also, taking the next ten Pokemon after Drifblim if they haven't been done yet.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Wait what the **** is going on here

**** this, doing the 10 after SV's

EDIT: Up to but not including Glaceon

Top Bottom