• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tantalus Presents: SE Memorial Day Tourney May 31 2010, Westminster MD

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hello everyone!

I'm posting a preliminary thread for a SPECIAL EDITION MEMORIAL DAY Tournament! We will do things a little bit special for this tournament. Also this might be your last shot at a HIGHLY VALUED MD/VA Power Rankings spot, so make sure to take advantage of it.

This will be on memorial day, Monday May 31st. Most of you have off, or are out of school, so come on out!

364 Winged Foot Drive
Westminster, MD 21158

This is my old house. We still have it. My dad still lives there, so we can use any space available. Chairs and tables are kinda limited though. I have 3 or 4 TVs of my own we can use- But we'll need wii's and tvs as well.

We've got 3 SPECIAL EVENTS for you all! Check the schedule.

Schedule:

10:00am House is open to Guests and registration is open
12:00pm Random Teams Event begins
2:00pm Draft Crews Signups
2:30pm Draft Crews Begins, team captains will be determined by PRs and next by PR panelists
4:00pm Singles Signups
4:30pm Singles Tournament
10:00pm Everyone leaves

Basically, the house is open for 12 hours. We've got that much time to get in and out. I need as many setups as possible to make it work out.

Entrance Fees:

$5 Venue Fee ($4 off if you bring a wii+tv, I have to pay my dad for using the house)
$5 Random Teams Entrants
$3 Draft Crews Entrance
$10 Singles

Payouts:

Random Teams (6 teams or less is top 2 only)
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%

Singles (these payouts will not change regardless of entrance)

1. 55%
2. 25%
3. 10%
4. 5%
5. 2.5%
5. 2.5%

I'll post the specific rules later, but here is the stage list, it will be strikes and CPs like MLG

Rules for Brawl:

General Rules
* Items are set to off and none.
* Stock and Time are set to 3 stock and 9 minutes respectively. Please don't forget we're using a 9 min timer at this.
* Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners, losers, and grand finals are best of 5.
* Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played. In the event of a percentage tie, replay the match with the same characters and same stage at one stock each and a 3 minute timer.
* Nothing other than strict texture, music, and replay hacks are allowed (Example: Any stage hacks that change the model such as Rainy FD or Snowy BF are prohibited). Any player may disable these textures by popping out the SD card for their set. Please just avoid these textures in general.
* Meta Knight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
* Suicide rules are as the game determines. If the game goes to sudden death off a suicide kill- it becomes a 1 stock, 3 minute game.
* Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as the act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. If you think someone is stalling you, call a judge over to your station to watch the match.
* Initiating any action that causes the game to no longer be played properly (due to freezing, physics/mechanics glitch) is treated as a forfeit of that match.
* RPS for ports, and ports can be requested to be switched by the opponent after the first game. If they do this, the other team can request the switch back on game 3 (if applicable)

Doubles Rules
* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON
* Chibo's Color Blind Rule: If there is a player using Sonic, Pokemon Trainer, or Lucario on a team, they may request to use the Blue team to avoid confusion.

Counterpick System
1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. The losing player may request to re-pick the controller ports. The losing player/team in this situation picks first.
5. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
6. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
7. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
8. The losing player picks character.
9. The next match is played.
10. Repeat 4-9 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
*You do not get to ban a stage if you already did during this set.

Neutral:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick:

Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon

Edit: Random Teams will be random CHARACTERS AND Random Partners based on seeding. How cool!

More details to come! Hype!

Edit: If you want to come just to play friendlies, that's fine too! If that's what you want though, please make sure to bring a setup so we can have plenty for the tournament to use. I'm also not opposed to other games as well (I'll have my flat screen!)

Livestream will be at this event as well, btw. We got 30fps last time.

RCyclone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rcyclone
3DS FC
0490-7017-9432
Switch FC
3291-1218-6623
Looks fun, though it's a bit of a drive 2 hours and 30 minutes away. X_x

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I now have 4 TVs, which I'd be happy to bring as long as I don't have to pay a venue fee and I can keep one (or two if there's a lot of interest) for P:M friendlies all day.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Isn't PS's one in Gaithersburg the same time as this?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
So I added the rules, most of them copied from CHIBO's RULESET with my own modifications. Pay attention to the SUICIDE RULES and the 9 MINUTE TIMER. This will be fun!

Coney

Smash Master
oh wow this sounds fun

might be there, maybe with k9, not staying for singles though, ocean city les go

Coney

Smash Master
Edit: Random Teams will be random CHARACTERS AND Random Partners based on seeding. How cool!
also, what does this mean exactly? based on seeding? so candy's going to get a pretty bad partner, and mid-level players like me are gonna be grouped together? but that's not really random...just curious, i'm sure you have a system, or lack thereof

oh, and is there gonna be a mulligan rule? so if i get a character i hate [samus, lucario, any zelda character] i can mulligan them off? or if like, i get ddd, someone can mulligan me off?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Yeah I haven't posted the random rules yet but there will be a mulligan for each team. If you don't like the characters you can call your mulligan. You get 1 per set and have to call it before you start moving.

Random Partners will be the top half of seeds will be paired with bottom half of seeds, randomly.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Good thing it's impossible to get Zss on random lol. So I just need to not get Ice climbers and I'm good.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Its not impossible if you don't want it to be

You could always hold R incase you get regular samus then it will switch you.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Double post! This is in 2 days...hope to see you there!

Oh because of popular demand random teams won't have random characters.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
lol, sa'll good. if ur trying to practice or get a smashfest going like last week goin let me know. my gf's in New Mexico so no gf johns

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Me and Waffle are getting the house setup- it already has plenty of tables. We have about 14-15 chairs total so hopefully the turnout isn't overwhelming LOL.

We have the unique opportunity here to do something I haven't done in a while, which is play OUTSIDE. I have a covered deck and power out there. I will probably setup livestream inside though. But it's supposed to be a nice day out, so might as well take advantage.

The livestream setup will also have an external speaker set.

Random teams are still happening- however i'll let the crowd decide if they want random characters or not when they arrive.

Draft crews will also happen if there is enough interest. Should be a fun time! It sounds like a lot of people won't be able to make it. We will just have a smashfest if there aren't enough people for regular events or do less events. It will still be fun.

Also, JCaesar will be showing off Project:M. Feel free to try it out.

I scooped up some controllers at gamestop, they seem to be working well. I just have to fix the y button on one of them.

See you all soon

Top Bottom