• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norfair is not "no fair"

Judo777

Smash Master
Hey guys i made this thread so i could post some of my findings about the stage Norfair. It is probably my favorite stage and i know a lot of people don't like it because they say it is too random and too interfering. I would just like to give a couple off thing that i have found concerning this stage to maybe try and remove some of Norfair's bad rep.

Ok first and foremost Norfair is NOT very random i don't believe. I have sat down and watched this stage for 8 minutes on several occasions to see what i could learn and this is what i found.

There appears to be only 1 thing about Norfair that appears to be completely random. It may not be after all but i can't figure it out anyway. That is the giant lava wave that envelopes the entire stage. This is the wave where the little shelter pops up and most people just block the wave cause it only has 1 hitbox. However i believe this can only occur when another hazard is not present (not counting the lava floor as a hazard.) The good news is that this is generally the least dangerous of the 3 main hazards.

I have recently learned that while the lava wave's appearance is completely random i do believe there are also a few rules that have to be in place for the wave to appear (this is all based on about 7 recent time watching 8 min matches on Norfair). Number 1 and this is pretty important is that the wave cannot appear in the middle of another hazard (ie plume or lava wall) it can appear very shortly after but not during (this because of the short duration of plumes it may appear to be the same but its hard to draw the line there as there is no way the wave would hit at the same time as a plume). Also I am under the impression that the wave can only appear if the lavais below the lower platform or rather the lava on the floor cannot be touching the stage. However it can appear right as the lava touching the ground is leaving. So if the lava is below the stage or just dropping and there are no hazards (i dont think it can interupt the lava wall, or rather if the screen has panned to left to indicate the lava wall i dont think a wave can come) on the screen then be aware that a lava wave could arise (as if its that big of a deal in the first place).

Now for the not so random things. Firstly is the rising and lowering lava that envelopes the floor during the match. I believe that this lava has a completely set pattern i believe it always rises at time X and always lowers at time Y and that all its movements are always the same every game.

Actually upon further research i learned that the movements are not completely set. I'm not entirely sure but I'm under the impression when first testing i just wrote down at x time lava raises and at y time lava lowers which may be true however the amount by which they raise does not appear to have a pattern. It may but i haven't figured it out yet. At time X it might raise a little or cover the bottom and middle platform but i don't think that is set.

The next 2 i will put in the same category for a good reason. These are the hazards that most people have a very large problem with. These are the giant lava wall that covers 1 side and the lava plumes that hit in random spots. Now there are some random elements to these hazards but there are also some non-random elements that i think aid it alot. These 2 hazards work in 30 second intervals. This does NOT mean that they happen every 30 seconds. But it is based around a 30 second clock and i will better explain what i mean.

On Norfair every 30 seconds the stage will tell u whats about to happen. At about 7:30 (sec)
into the match 1 of 3 things will happen. Either the screen will pan out to 1 side which will indicate that the lava wall will appear on that side in about 10 seconds or you will see the screen start to shake letting u know that lava plumes will be coming in about a second. However the last option is that nothing can happen at 7:30 (sec) however if nothing happens at that time then nothing will continue to happen until 7:00 (sec).

Let me expound on each of these further. The lava plumes actually hit generally 5 seconds after the 30 second mark so actually at 35 seconds. However the screen should shake around the 30 second mark letting you know they are coming. The screen can however shake without sending lava plumes however its still a good heads up. However where the lava plumes hit and how many show up are infact random

The only thing that appears to mess this up a little is that when the giant lava wave comes up because (like i said earlier) that is completely random it appears that the second clock can be shifted by about 10 seconds. however all i ever noticed was a shift of no greater than 10 seconds from where it last was in reference to the 30 second interval.

So let me give u a walk through of the stage for clarification (this is just an account of what could happen). I'm playing and all of a sudden the 30 second mark hits i look at the screen and i see it start to shake. I just watch the screen for about a second more and prepare for the lava plumes if they come. They don't come so now im good for another 30 seconds. The 1 minute mark comes and i look at the screen and see that it pans out to the right side. In about 10 seconds the stage should be mostly covered by the lava wall. The lava wall goes away and the 1:30 second mark arrives and i see the screen start to shake at the 1:35 second mark lava plumes hit the stage. Then all of a sudden the shelter pops up and the giant lava wave proceeds to cover the stage. Once it is gone u wait for the next 30 second interval. However you keep in mind that the next hazard interval could be shifted by 10 seconds so either at the 1:50,2:00,or 2:10 mark. the next hazard happens at 2:10 and after another lava wave comes and envelopes the whole stage. Now the clock could be shifted again to where the next hazard might appear at 2:30,2:40 or 2:50 and so on.

However the shifts should not be too great and many times the lava wave wont even effect the clock but also the lava waves shouldn't happen more than 3 times in an 8 minute match (at least i have never seen that many).

That's all i have found so far i might update later but i just wanted to throw some light on the randomness (or not so) of Norfair. Its an awesome stage it has 6 ledges and the platform arrangement is awesome how can u not like this stage?

sunshade

Smash Ace
I just checked the 30 second rule for the vertical wall/lava plumes and I can confirm what Judo77 has said.

This information seems to be legit, great find.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
This should put the map solidly in the Counterpick category.
No argument ever went through about some particular character owning or being owned there (most recent one I recall is Diddy being untouchable). The total abandonment of stage/ground game is... weird, and the flooding of edges is really annoying for ZAirs, but players deserve to use their knowledge to beat opponents here.

Now we should go and play it until people start using it to **** tourneys. Like good little competitors.

BSP

Smash Legend
Nice find Judo. Norfair should go back into CP. You rooted out all the randomness you could, and there are pointers to see when and what will happen. Anyone with skill should be able to focus and prepare accordingly.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I approve and agree with this thread. Also that pic is great, explains what I've been telling people for awhile: Norfair is one of the only stages MK CAN'T run from you the entire match (ironic, cause that is the main reasoning people banned the stage initially, lol).

ADHD

Smash Hero
Just because a stage is not entirely random does not make it fair. I do not comprehend why people are agreeing that it should be legal when it clearly wins games for worse players.

I'm going to facepalm at that metaknight planking picture above. Not only does he have ledges, he has an enormous playing field to utilize his five jumps and glide back and forth while avoiding you under or around any area of norfair. It is fairly easy for him to time you out there, as well as wario with his aerial mobility. Please try to beat a good metaknight that isn't ******** and does not airdodge into the ground or refuse to aerial you around the lava streams. I mean, you just have so many options when he's near you with a gaping stage obstacle coming directly at you (sarcasm).

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I'm confused why arguing how beastly a certain stage let's the S tier character use an SS tier camping technique which is being surgically banned in national tournaments without which it does invariably win games on its own counts as any argument whatever about the legitimacy of that stage.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm confused why arguing how beastly a certain stage let's the S tier character use an SS tier camping technique which is being surgically banned in national tournaments without which it does invariably win games on its own counts as any argument whatever about the legitimacy of that stage.
Oh, if only his air camping could be banned.

-Ran

Smash Master
Also, if you're ever caught on the top platform against MK, a shuttle loop is going to kill you are ridiculous low percents. The only character that can really deal with MK on this stage would be Marth, since he doesn't have any fear of lava anymore.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I have to agree with ADHD. There are rare ocassions where the lava goes crazy levaing no platforms safe with only a ledge to use to battle. Not what I would call fair.

If MK has that ledge, you are basically dead.

The chance of the lava going crazy like this is low but real.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I have to agree with ADHD. There are rare ocassions where the lava goes crazy levaing no platforms safe with only a ledge to use to battle. Not what I would call fair.

If MK has that ledge, you are basically dead.

The chance of the lava going crazy like this is low but real.
except that it is not real.

the worst that can happen is the lava comes from the side and takes out two side platforms and half the middle platform and at the same time lava comes from the bottom all the way to the top leaving only one platform open. It is 100% impossible for there to be no safe place to be due to lava.

The chances of this happening are very low and the situation will only last for 10 seconds. There will also be many warnings (as shown by Judo777's research) before the lave acts in this way.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
What about when a lava fume comes out to spew over the only safe platform during that time frame?

It only happened to me 4 seperate ocassions and I survived all of them. No one else did.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
^Vids or it didn't happen.

I'm almost certain you can't get the plumes, the wall, AND the floor, all at the same time.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I approve and agree with this thread. Also that pic is great, explains what I've been telling people for awhile: Norfair is one of the only stages MK CAN'T run from you the entire match (ironic, cause that is the main reasoning people banned the stage initially, lol).

this

norfair adds the element of hazards from below like brinstar does, with the wide stage boundaries of a meduim/large sized stage. Plenty of room to move around, and not alot of space to chain grab. I actually got CPed to this map at MLG and survived wafts thanks to how wide the stage is. I think i did well navigating this map because i paid VERY close attention to what the hazards where doing. while my opponent went to the capsule i grabbed the ledge and use the roll IF to avoid the stage wide wall of lava. The plumes are weird, the hit bubbles are single hit and they travel one after the other in the animation. You still dont want to get hit by them. During the match, i just ran to one of the safe spots i recalled always going to when the plumes come up.

What i think most people have a hard time dealing with is how to space the lava when it comes up below. To better explain let me make a vid so ppl can see the situational timing of how these hazards work

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
People have most problems when lava from the side or bottom combines with lava plumes, because there are much less places to go, but staying on the ledge, blocking, or running away for fast characters work just fine.

I am almost convinced, but I would need a vid showing these options against MK's less effective planking on this level.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
actually i wouldnt be surprised if the middle platforms caused people the most trouble. Considering the lava may..or may not bubble over them entirely or off to one side, or even not at all

san alot of it has to do with how your character hangs over the ledge no.1-- no.2 you have to consider what situational lava is doing. Is there a plume headed to MK planking? Is there lava rising up under mk? Hes opinions as to were he can go with IF's will depend on the lava coming up words, or the plumes heading towards him. So rly he'd have 2. Jump backwords away from plume and use jumps to stall untill plume goes away or use IF from the roll to get on the other side of the plume

now if its the lava coming from screen left/right and lava coming up from below.... lol both the opponent and MK will always be forced to the upper most platform in most cases

Norfair is about multi tasking the lava and knowing already off the bat how the hazards work. Knowing this going into the match will not only keep you from taking unnecessary damage but also help u combo the opponent into the lava.

For example; If the lava is rising up from below and me on DDD and my opponent are on the middle platforms and i grab, hold the opponent. Sometimes the lava will bubble up on the inside if DDD is near the grabbable ledge of this platform. DDD can dthrow>lava>follow up where ever the opponent DIs to. Forgot to try it on non chaingrabbles, but i think dthrow>ftilt will force them to still hit the lava even if they tech it.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Oh, if only his air camping could be banned.
You may or may not have had a point here, but I don't understand the connection to what I posted, which you quoted.

You'll have to help me if I am to reply to it.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
finally got my vid up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTnXpwtI2JI

if anyone says they cant read the lava flows, u guys just dont pay attention to how the lava works on the stage. It can be very beneficial if not situational at times.

I rly recommend friendlying on this stage first before you/your opponent commit to using it in a tournament match.

Should it be allowed? Thats a hard question to answer.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Isn't planking supposed to grant you invincibility all the time?
I'm not really sure how it works in Brawl, but I'm pretty sure Sheik could be invincible on the ledge all the time, even when the acid on Brinstar had flooded the stage, "planking" with her Up B. Can MK do the same in Brawl, completely avoiding the lava?

IYM!

Smash Lord
norfair is a great stage and is fair too

took the lava how to a help to do combos or break the rivals combos
three edges per side give a interesting stage and news tactis

not all is FD or BF,
also use these stages like norfair, port town, hanenbow, jungle japes or spear pillar
help you to get experiencie and learn new things

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Definately changed how I thought of Norfair. I now picture it like a combination of Brinstar and Japes, two stages I've done quite a lot of cp'ing.

I'm gonna work on this stage a lot more and take advantage of it to my best potential, hopefully. And perhaps it'll be a better cp against certain characters. (IC's, this means you)

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Definately changed how I thought of Norfair. I now picture it like a combination of Brinstar and Japes, two stages I've done quite a lot of cp'ing.

I'm gonna work on this stage a lot more and take advantage of it to my best potential, hopefully. And perhaps it'll be a better cp against certain characters. (IC's, this means you)
thats why i'd even go there is for Olimar/Falco/Pikachu/IC against my DDD

mind you pikachu and falco CAN boost grab to keep the CG going, lava can save you if they're not watching it carefully, plus at those low % DDD wont be dying to the lava either if the lava breaks their CG. IC i wouldnt even bother getting into their grab range they can standing infinite

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I've done a few friendlies on it and it is very fun stage. In all seriousness though, working with or around the lava isn't all that hard. Knowledge is power in this stage. Yeah Meta Knight can KO you rediculously early here but he can do that in Smashville, Rainbow Cruise... heck in almost any stage.

Judo777

Smash Master
im fairly certain that the plumes and lava wall work on the 30 second timer as i stated in the OP u cant get both at the same time.

also im gonna update the OP cause i think i figured some stuff out about the giant lava wave.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
same, like dont angle your shield up at it it'll shield poke loool If your fighting Diddy there you can toss a banana at him to trip him before the wall hits

Top Bottom