• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you bear Brawl with NO hacks at ALL?

FLSHK

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the Brawl soundtrack was awesome, despite being lacking in a certain area that you would find in one of my previous posts (not in this thread, obviously [it can be dug up pretty easily, since I've only recently become a member here.]). If anything, the worst part of Brawl was Sakurai being head developer or whatever.

Edit: I take that back. Sakurai being head developer was the SECOND worst part of Brawl. The TRUE worst part was the random tripping.

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
i cant stand brawl WITH hacks.

the stage hacks mess me up and even sometimes the music hacks annoy me because other people like different types of music then i do.

I would rather just turn them all off and just play the game.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
i cant stand brawl WITH hacks.

the stage hacks mess me up and even sometimes the music hacks annoy me because other people like different types of music then i do.

I would rather just turn them all off and just play the game.
This.

There's nothing more annoying than playing a serious tournament set and then seeing a bunch of crazy colored backgrounds / character skins / stage modifications. It's so distracting. I realize that people think it's "cool" to mod their game files, but save that crap for friendlies or your own time. I refuse to play a tournament match with that crap on.

Yeah, you can just take the SD card out and the skins won't load... but they shouldn't have been loaded in the first place imo.

The only hacks that should ever be on are Infinite Replay, Name-Tags in Replays, and saved settings for 3 stocks, 8-min timer, team damage, etc.

Bleck

Smash Master
Only mods I enjoy are gameplay mods. Skin and stage textures, as well as custom music, tend to just be irritating nonsense.

iLSA

Smash Cadet
Although some hacks are quite amusing, I think that the game is already good enough without any at all. Some hacks are just insulting and make Smash less enjoyable to play, even when you win.

MKOwnage

Smash Journeyman
I like Brawl+ because I can use Jigglypuff and actually enjoy it. Other then that not really.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I'll tolerate it for a good friendly match or a party. Balanced Brawl is ideal for my serious play.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
When a person is trying to say textures are generally distracting, crappy, and whatnot, doesn't that mean he or she thinks that people who make them are horrible? No, not all textures are bad. There are amazing textures out there, but not all of them are distracting nor good nor bad. It's called art. Brawl today's not being used just for competitive purposes, as well as general hacking purposes (although a lot of it's been made), people make art into those characters and stages making their own customized textures.

Character textures are even barely distracting. When you're playing on a match you usually ignore the characters' texture details, looks, and everything, because you focus on how you're playing on that certain character. You don't focus on Peach/Rosalina's face on a Brawl set don't you? You focus on how you're playing her.

Stage textures however, can be distracting. Most people like playing on dark texturized stages, as opposed to very bright ones, since people can be prone to it known as eye **** and it can be unplayable.

I don't see how music affects a person that much. Unless it's a very loud music, it could be hard to concentrate on a match. Many people these days love customized music on Brawl, and some people have said it helps them a little on a serious set. Some of the original Brawl music is getting really old to some people though, which is why they want their music on Brawl.

...But then again, if you don't like hacks, which is some of you guys' opinion, it's always a good idea to just load Brawl normally. :p

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I'm really fine with anything. Even the playstyle isn't a problem; Toon Link is pretty much the same all the time. I use several textures, but they're all simple recolors.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Honestly, no, I can't. A lot of the changes that Brawl+ made are practically essential to my gameplay now, not to mention my love of custom music. I can handle not having custom stages, I guess. Custom movesets are a must, though.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
(but the lack of mother 2/Earthbound music saddens me)
Make it yourself? It's honestly not hard nowadays.

Here's a very simplified tutorial for anyone interested (I've personally custom made every song in my brawl).

1. Get a music editing program that lets you make precise modifications (mostly cuts) in your music and allow you to test loops (the loops can technically be tested elsewhere, but having it right there while editing saves you a lot of hassle). Free programs like Goldwave or Audacity work fine for this.

2. Find a section in the music that is a repeat, preferably near the end of the song (just finding a section that sounds good when looped is fine too). Mark the positions of your loop and cut out anything that happens AFTER your loop (this is just to save space). Save your file as a .wav file. Jot down your loop points (based on location, not time). You'll need them later

3.Download Brawlbox (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238861), go to file, new, and click Brstm Audio Stream and open your .wav file. Type in your loop points and check "loop." You can preview your loop here if you haven't done so already. Click okay when you're done and it will encode it for you. Then save the file as a brstm file (brawlbox does that too).

4. Rename the file to replace the song of your choice in brawl. Here's the brawl song list and the associated IDs (by stage order) http://www.mediafire.com/?zjjyj4hzmzg. Just rename your file to the ID of the song you want to replace.

5. Put the file in the directory private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\sound\strm on your SD card (I assume you've already set it up to run textures of course. This uses the same code)

Have fun making your own brawl songs. ^_^

Also, if you don't like textures or music and you end up playing on a hacked wii, just take the SD card out. The custom music, character textures, and stage textures all go away, as well as any PSA characters (just pick another character and then go back to your original character. They will be reloaded from the brawl disc). Infinite replay, tags in replays, default settings, no tripping, ect, ect will all still be on.

NNID
Budget_Player
I'm not aloud to hack my wii, so yes I can.
USE STACK SMASH
THERE IS NO ONE STOPPING YOU
YOU HAVE THE POWER!

God I hate hacks
its like being ungrateful with the game :(

best if no hacks involved
It's like taking an uncut diamond (brawl) and polishing and cutting it until it's shining beautifully with everything it can be (Brawl-). No disrespect intended, Sakurai just screwed the pooch. Oh wait...

Hax got old really fast IMO, unlimited replay was worth it tho.
How does something that is constantly developing get old really fast? :ohwell:

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
There's nothing more annoying than playing a serious tournament set and then seeing a bunch of crazy colored backgrounds / character skins / stage modifications. It's so distracting. I realize that people think it's "cool" to mod their game files, but save that crap for friendlies or your own time. I refuse to play a tournament match with that crap on.

The only hacks that should ever be on are Infinite Replay, Name-Tags in Replays, and saved settings for 3 stocks, 8-min timer, team damage, etc.
I also can't stand most of the textures people make. But some of the originals are pretty bad too. This is why I make my own. They depict team colours better than the originals. Nothing obnoxious, they just look better and more polished.

Along with those codes I also have No Random Tripping, pokemon infinite stamina, and a custom character select screen with sheik, zss, and the pokemon included. And a few frozen or modified stages (castle siege stays on the first part, frigate orpheon has a ledge on the right moving platform etc).

Anyways, I can play without hacks. Doesn't really bother me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
God I hate hacks

If anything, it's consumer response to the game and Nintendo should **** well consider it in the future.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
...I still play Brawl (sometimes) and whenever I do, it's without hacks. Texture hacks especially, it makes everything so ****ed up and ugly.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Yes, hackless Brawl is very much bearable without hacks. All I need is Captain Falcon and a few good opponents.

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
I can't, it's horrible. When I go to someone else's house and I play vBrawl I go "omg wtf is this" and stop playing. I beg them to let me install Brawl+ on their wiis because vBrawl is just so insulting and the worst game ever.

Fortunately enough they know this, so most of the time I get to convert everyone to Brawl+

Some textures are amazing btw, I think you're refering to the time when people just did bad recolors. I can't stand regular FD and Battlefield anymore, I've played on them too much. That's the magic of textures, you can never get tired of the graphics because you can just change them when you want to :) (don't get me wrong, I love FD and Battlefield's layouts, the graphics themselves just get on my nerves when they're straight from vBrawl)

edit: before anyone says anything, OPINION. I'm allowed to have my own. Don't get mad if I say vBrawl sucks, if you like it, good for you, but you don't have to flame me for it.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I can, but it seems horribly different >_>
I normally play with textures and music hacks, but if it gets annoying, i'll go back to standard though.

Nano5896

Smash Rookie
I don't know if I can put custom music with a Mac, but I 'll just put custom music. I just can't stand the texture (especially on Marvel vs. Capcom 2)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
No tripping says hi.

God I hate hacks

You make it seem like being ungrateful with the game is a bad thing. Brawl HAS faults, why shouldn't they be corrected?

Yes, hackless Brawl is very much bearable without hacks. All I need is Captain Falcon and a few good opponents.
Department of Redundancy Department.

I can't stand normal Brawl, mainly because of how crap Jigglypuff is, how slow it is, tripping, changing settings, and unbalanced.

Someone should make a texture pack for Brawl where it has all the original textures in better quality or improved in some way.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
No tripping says hi.
"No tripping" is a gameplay mod, it's not the same as the other items that I listed.

Because it changes the gameplay itself, it really shouldn't be on in tournament. I mean, I think tripping is as lame as everyone else does, but if we apply no tripping codes then we're not playing Brawl at that point, we're playing a mod of it. Even if it's a "minor mod", you are still changing the game. That's not even the main issue, though.

The real issue though is that it's just too inconsistent at tournaments. Some people will have Wii's with no tripping, many others will not. This can drastically change the outcome of events, even though you might perceive removing tripping as "nothing but a good thing". It's best to be uniform and avoid such issues. "It's not fair, I only lost because I played on the Wii that didn't have codes on it!" etc. etc. etc. into infinity.

It also discourages new members from picking up the game. "Oh, you wanna play Brawl? Well there's no point in playing unless you hack your Wii!" That's a pretty steep gamble for someone new who doesn't understand the game yet and is already being told he needs to do something as unfamiliar as hack his console just to get started.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I used to be able to bear vBrawl, but then one day I got my *** handed to me by people that had half an idea of what they were doing.

This game requires you to have a stupidly high amount of skill to separate you from the bad players, and still a worse player can shoot you down here and there.

Yamato Hong

Smash Apprentice
Yep. ^-^ Some hacks good; some hacks bad.

It all depends on what kind of hacks are applied. There can be hacks where it can drastically alter the game's performance, which I find to be not fun. :)

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
No, not a chance. Never again, never again will I seriously play vBrawl. Hacking saved Brawl for me in many ways, and continues to do so to this day.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
"No tripping" is a gameplay mod, it's not the same as the other items that I listed.

Because it changes the gameplay itself, it really shouldn't be on in tournament. I mean, I think tripping is as lame as everyone else does, but if we apply no tripping codes then we're not playing Brawl at that point, we're playing a mod of it. Even if it's a "minor mod", you are still changing the game. That's not even the main issue, though.

I don't see what the problem with playing a "mod of Brawl" is. I'll disregard this as it doesn't really matter.

The real issue though is that it's just too inconsistent at tournaments. Some people will have Wii's with no tripping, many others will not. This can drastically change the outcome of events, even though you might perceive removing tripping as "nothing but a good thing". It's best to be uniform and avoid such issues. "It's not fair, I only lost because I played on the Wii that didn't have codes on it!" etc. etc. etc. into infinity.

TO's should just be consistent. That isn't a fault with banning tripping it's a fault with TO's not handling hacks correctly. It would be no different if one of the Wii's had a 7 minute time limit instead of 8, a TO shouldn't and wouldn't do it so it doesn't matter.

It also discourages new members from picking up the game. "Oh, you wanna play Brawl? Well there's no point in playing unless you hack your Wii!" That's a pretty steep gamble for someone new who doesn't understand the game yet and is already being told he needs to do something as unfamiliar as hack his console just to get started.

...But there is a point in playing if you don't hack your Wii... This isn't something as major as turning items off or something, a newbie doesn't HAVE to hack his Wii to play Brawl.
Tripping is an occurrence that rarely affects gameplay from what I've seen, so it shouldn't matter wether it is on a system or not as long as it is consistent within an individual tournament. The fact remains that there is no down side to removing it, and it should be done wherever possible apart from, like I have already said, in the case of inconsistency.

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
I dont play Brawl without hacks. Too boring. All the techniques are just doing an up smash in a certain way. Brawl is so different from the other smash games so it also messes up my game to go from Brawl to Melee or Smash64, which I do quite often. I mostly just deal with game mods. As for content, I mess around with it but I dont host tournaments with texture/stage hacks on. And music? My music sucks, get over it. (has j-pop playing at YI)

Top Bottom