• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 38 Matchup Discussion: Link!

Padô

Smash Lord
In before the discussion I would like to thank you guys for the big hype we got on the Cpt. Falcon discussion, with loads of useful information on a character which I expected much less of it, of course I would like to thank all Cpt. Falcon mainers that came down here and shared their knowledge and discussed some points also.

BUT, we have to proceed with the matchup discussions till we finally get all the matchups discussed so I can complete the final matchupchart :), I'm here creating all threads of matchups discussions for 30 weeks from the first week I assumed the project and I never regret it since all of you never gave up on it too.

This week:

LINK

Are you greedy off stage? Shouldn't we be? You having problem KO'ing him because of his EXCELENT momentum cancel? His projectiles are annoying you? Or you just get him off stage and Nair/Fair/Bair/Waft him?

DISCUSS!

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Link is weird, very. You'd say that being Wario, getting in wouldn't be too much of a problem. Having played against Ramin's Link at its best, I can say it kinda is a problem.

You can't commit to going high, bomb **** up most aerial approaches and catching them it far from useful. It's really better to get in low, but then again zair and jab are kinda annoying as well. It's a really monotone and uninteresting matchup, and probably 60-40 in our advantage simply because Link doesn't really have anything all too useful on us.

Gimping is possible, but made kinda hard if Link decides to go reeeeally low. You can't really chase him downwards too much. If he decides to go low, however, it's fairly easy to simply edgehog him. If he has his jump and is slightly below the ledge, close to the stage, you shouldn't try to gimp him because of the amount of options he has. Don't be too greedy on that.

He's kinda awkward to kill, uair is a fine damage racker and if it ends up stale (which it probably will) it won't kill too well. Fsmash is not really viable to land if Link is smart enough to just always cover his landing (which he should), that leaves us with fart. There are definitely openings for fart, and you should be very careful about using it. Fart whiff = Link will get to survive for a looooong time. Nair, bair, fthrow, dair, none of that stuff will kill unless you've got Link at some stupidly high percentage already.

Link has trouble killing Wario as well, though I dare say less trouble than Wario has on killing hìm. Utilt is fairly safe on block and beats most aerial approaches. Dair is annoying but shouldn't really hit unless you fall for his silly setups (bombs, lulz), be careful when hanging on the ledge and don't resort to ledge jumping too often or too fast, dair somehow beats a lot of our options there. His jab cancel options are kinda silly, if he catches you when you're not paying attention, you'll eat a jab > dsmash (which kills fairly well).

Don't commit to shielding too much. His stuff is relatively safe on shield.

Too lazy to write more at the moment, more perhaps later.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Link is weird, very. You'd say that being Wario, getting in wouldn't be too much of a problem. Having played against Ramin's Link at its best, I can say it kinda is a problem.

You can't commit to going high, bomb **** up most aerial approaches and catching them it far from useful. It's really better to get in low, but then again zair and jab are kinda annoying as well. It's a really monotone and uninteresting matchup, and probably 60-40 in our advantage simply because Link doesn't really have anything all too useful on us.

Gimping is possible, but made kinda hard if Link decides to go reeeeally low. You can't really chase him downwards too much. If he decides to go low, however, it's fairly easy to simply edgehog him. If he has his jump and is slightly below the ledge, close to the stage, you shouldn't try to gimp him because of the amount of options he has. Don't be too greedy on that.

He's kinda awkward to kill, uair is a fine damage racker and if it ends up stale (which it probably will) it won't kill too well. Fsmash is not really viable to land if Link is smart enough to just always cover his landing (which he should), that leaves us with fart. There are definitely openings for fart, and you should be very careful about using it. Fart whiff = Link will get to survive for a looooong time. Nair, bair, fthrow, dair, none of that stuff will kill unless you've got Link at some stupidly high percentage already.

Link has trouble killing Wario as well, though I dare say less trouble than Wario has on killing hìm. Utilt is fairly safe on block and beats most aerial approaches. Dair is annoying but shouldn't really hit unless you fall for his silly setups (bombs, lulz), be careful when hanging on the ledge and don't resort to ledge jumping too often or too fast, dair somehow beats a lot of our options there. His jab cancel options are kinda silly, if he catches you when you're not paying attention, you'll eat a jab > dsmash (which kills fairly well).

Don't commit to shielding too much. His stuff is relatively safe on shield.

Too lazy to write more at the moment, more perhaps later.
How does link going low prevent gimps? His recovery blows + throw a bike at that ***** is really effective.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Dude, if Link goes low it's instant death. You can chase people into the blast zone with Wario. What you CAN'T do is chase people too far horizontally.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Tbh I tried, point is rather that when he DIs well he has a few options:

- Go for the stage.
- Zair the ledge
- Cover with projectiles, drop and upB

I don't see how Wario has the tools to chase and cancel out covering at the same time. I tried, it didn't seem all too reliable. Could be me, and judging from the comments it ìs, but I have yet to see any other Wario play the Link MU so I really wouldn't know.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If the Link doesn't DI up real hard, he's going to die. If he's coming at you above stage level you can jump out and fair him, b/c that will actually go through bombs and boomerangs (this applies to TL too) if you do it right. If he drops low you nair him, it hits him out of up b easy.

When I played Legan I only managed to gimp him once, because he'd generally DI up really hard to get to the top corners, but the one time he didn't it was a free kill at 30.

Padô

Smash Lord
I don't think Link has got good options on shield honestly, I think we can punish all of them with Nair OoS is we space the dash shield correctly even though his Zair (I still managed to punish TL's ZAir also).

I'd say we have to be careful about some stupid moves he has, like FTilt which will beat SH Aerials, UTilt that will beat higher Dair approaches but seriously, BAIT THIS, it's laggy and you can punish it really easy by jumping out again and executing any other aerial, waft or just AirDodge through it > Grab. Watch out for higher approaches on highers percents his crazy long lasting hitbox uair is going to kill you if you are high enough.

Jab > DSmash is SDIable, SDI it upwards and fall with a Nair or just waft to punish him or just jump away if you want.

About Edgeguarding, besides the Nair gimp PX stated above, you can also Dair his recovery if it's comming to low. It won't work as good as Nair to gimp but it still puts link into an very very VERY unconfortable position and it's a bit easier to land because it is a multihit move.

Wario can camp Link REALLY well so if whiff a waft don't worry, just play safe and he won't be able to kill you too soon. Another thing I noticed is, if you get an stock advantage with high % it's just gets easier to punish his KO moves, you can just play really defensive and punish every KO move he has with an OoS option. This strategy usually makes your opponent REALLY angry, which renders him into a biggest probability on commiting those flaws because on the anxiety. (A bit out of context here but whatever.)

Overall: Wario 65-35 Link

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that a lot of Link's moves are fine on shield. Bair1 fastfalled won't net you a nair punish if he shields, you won't punish zair when shielded, I don't think we can do a lot about dair, fsmash (spaced) is rediculous and yeah, projectiles are projectiles.

For the rest, though, you're pretty right yeah. I guess I should play the MU a bit more, I have the feeling I'm missing out on a lot of things here xD

Padô

Smash Lord
About Zair, thats the main reason why I put there if you space the dash shield correctly, if he hits your shield with it and you are a bit far, forget about punishing it.

Top Bottom