• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banana tech chase

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
In this thread, I am going to be writing about an important and often forgotten part of Diddy kong’s banana game. I am talking about his tech chase options out of a trip. There are many characters in this game that can tech chase through the use of grabs, but Diddy kong is unique in the fact that he can tech chase his opponents using an item. The opponent can do one of 5 things after he trips. He can get up, do a get up attack, roll forward, roll backwards or wait. Diddy kong has a way of punishing each and every one of these options but each option requires a different way of punishing it. By punishing each option accordingly, you will be rewarded with earlier kills and higher amounts of damage to your opponent.

However, there is a reason why many people do not use this technique. Tech chasing requires prediction and most players will never pass up a chance at guaranteed damage for a gamble that may or may not pay off in the end; but what a many players don’t know is that Diddy’s tech chase options can cover more than one of your opponent’s options. Diddy can punish the opponent attacking on the get up in the same way he can punish a regular get up attack. He can also punish a person for getting up/attacking in the same way he can punish them for rolling forward. This means you only have to predict when your opponent is going to roll backwards. So while it may require some prediction, It is hardly considered a gamble when your options are far superior to that of your opponents

I would also like to point out that there are certain situations in which going for the tech chase is a better option then going for guaranteed damage. For instance, if you are behind in percents or in stocks, a well predicted tech chase can put you back in the lead whereas the guaranteed damage may not suffice. Banana tech chasing is a high risk high reward technique can turn the match around, but it should never be abused as it can become predictable over time.

Here is a list of banana tech chase options. If you guys have any other options, tell me and I will add them

Opponent getting up/attack:
1.Jump, grab the banana and fast fall instant throw it forward (quick get up)
2. Jump, z catch the banana, throw it when he gets up (slow get up)
3. Walk up to him and utilt (shield if attacking)

Opponent rolling forward:
1.jump while slightly moving backwards, grab the banana and fast fall instant throw it forward
2.jump, wait until he is below you and instant throw downwards (this can lead to a SNL)
3.charge Dsmash or Fsmash

Opponent rolling backwards:
1.jump, grab the banana and instant throw it forward (no fast fall)
2.walk up to him and Dsmash or ftilt
3.walk up to him and fthrow

Remember, use this technique, but use it wisely and it will be your best friend when you want a little more damage or are behind on points.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
by your logic we have another smash attack: no smash. I don't consider that an option because even an unplugged controller can do that. If they wait long enough, then they are forced to get up

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
by your logic we have another smash attack: no smash. I don't consider that an option because even an unplugged controller can do that. If they wait long enough, then they are forced to get up
if they keep lying on the ground you cant just walk up and attack, cause they can then roll away/attack/getup etc

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Them not moving is perfectly legit option because on top of stopping all the options you mentioned, it branches off all the options to another probability tree that can totally screw you up.

Player-1

Smash Legend
it's definitely an option. An option is something that someone can choose from, so they CAN choose to not get up.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Okay, maybe waiting could be an option. I say that if you notice your opponent is just waiting for you, attack him right away. He might even DI wrong and get killed earlier than expected

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I was testing out the aerial banana throw yesterday against a real player an it turns out you can't use the invincibility frames from the get up to avoid the throw as they are not enough and you will get hit from the back. so it is almost 100% accurate since the only way to avoid it is to roll back and by rolling back you put yourself in a situation in which you will be DIing the Dsmash wrong and getting KOed earlier.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I don't understand how you can't use the invincibility frames to help avoid it.

There are 5 options, and the fifth one, waiting, is really an option before you choose the other four. The opponent can react to your movement if move close enough, or if the banana lands before you catch it in the air, or whatever, and roll away. This can work a couple of times, or if they have predictable get-ups, but a smart opponent will make this more difficult than what you're putting it.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
the reason they can't use the invincibility frames is because the banana lands under them and makes it so that they trip again. Iv'e gotten it to work on pros like tyrant and mike haze. If they couldn't get away from it 100% of the time, then I guess it's not a bad idea to use this every now and then. I'll fix it and add one for waiting later

Top Bottom