• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers: Tricks and Techniques

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
I thought this would deserve it's own thread ^^

As the Topic says, this thread is about some IC tricks and techniques I discovered / wanted to show you / stuff.

Don't troll with stuff like "old" and stuff like that. I know that some of this stuff is already known. Basically this video is for the ic community to help every ic main improving so don't flame like a tard. There may be some spelling / grammar mistakes in the video. thats because 1. i'm not a native speaker and 2. i've done the video pretty **** fast.

I'M 100% SURE THAT EVERYONE WILL GET AT LEAST ONE THING OUT OF THAT VID. So watch it until the end.

I'M THE VIDEOLINK CLICK ME ALREADY!

This video contains:

1. Desynching.
1.1 Desynching out of SHFF'd aerials and some pretty good uses.
1.2 The desynchs Kakera is using (if you don't know them already.

2. General IC tricks.
2.1 Iceblock cancelled Edgehog.
2.2 Climbing platforms while chaingrabbing.
2.3 An Icelock setup. (thanks to istudy)

Smoom77

Smash Master
1.1: I definitely think this can be used in a good way. I find nair is very fast and doesn't have a lot of lag.

1.2: I really need to work on this. This I can see as being very useful. I think I saw some one use it against Ally. Nana does blizzard and Popo jumps and does IB.

2.1: Personally, I don't think this is useful. I guess it could be considered very situational, but still I don't use it unless I want to change momentum like in my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaWxugn9Pvo

2.2: Lol, this is cute. Situational, but it could save you a match/stock.

2.3: This is sorta like one I posted a bit ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_7lTvvREnw We're probably not gonna get anyone with either of these since I feel like teching is becoming more used and people respond faster.

Overall, good video. I found Kakera's desync to be most useful.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
Thanks :p I really think there are some useful things in that vid.

and that platform-grab thingy could bring you the stock in such a situation (which happens more often that it seems)

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
The platform thing is very neat and usefull but i feel if its done as slow as the way it was shown people can mash out. I have people in my region that mash out of grabs in like 1 second even at like 80%. Hylian knows what im talking about

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
The platform thing is very neat and usefull but i feel if its done as slow as the way it was shown people can mash out. I have people in my region that mash out of grabs in like 1 second even at like 80%. Hylian knows what im talking about
I agree, but it's useful to try. There aren't many other things you could do in that situation. And if you do get it off, you just got another good CG in.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
I know what you mean but unfortunatly it can't be done faster (this method is only for that situation when nana is already on the platform above)

but its an additional thing that could bring you the stock in one more situation.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
After practicing for a good 2 and a half hours, I got those 2 desynches down about 90% of the time I tried them.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
? I think that's just a regular dash dance desync. The ones Kakera always does is the shield drop desync. He does the one you showed occasionally, but he uses the shield drop desync more than anything else. But thumbs up on the vid still.

swordgard

Smash Hero
? I think that's just a regular dash dance desync. The ones Kakera always does is the shield drop desync. He does the one you showed occasionally, but he uses the shield drop desync more than anything else. But thumbs up on the vid still.
Dash dance shield desynch is just dash dancing but not with full wait so popo dashes ahead too far but nana doesn't get to her run animation where she can shield, meaning she is free to do anything during the shield drop.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Shield dropping> Dash dance desynch IMO, because it takes less time for Popo to react to the inputs.

Some times I like to Dash dance>Fsmash with popo. Then when Nana does a dash attack, I'll charge a smash with Popo and it's a pretty good mindgame

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The first thing shown in the video can also be done without doing any attacks. It's a landing desynch, using aerials makes it easier though because you have more than 4 frames to input the buffer due to the landing lag/visual cue of the moves.

Very nice video.

As far as the Kakera thing goes, yeah he does the shield drop desynch. That was a 1 step dash dance desynch with is also very useful and not too well known. You can desynch from dash dances several different ways, the easiest being the 3 input DD desynch. The 1 step one involves moving her far enough away so that you can input the move so only she does it.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Dash dance shield desynch is just dash dancing but not with full wait so popo dashes ahead too far but nana doesn't get to her run animation where she can shield, meaning she is free to do anything during the shield drop.
True but I've also been able to do it by inputting an attack in popo's sliding motion after his dash without the shield or the extra step to dash too far. (Edit: I realize that I'm letting him enter his dash animation instead of just a dash dance. Just another way of doing it.)
But on another note, it's not the desync that kakera does XP which can also be done just by pivot desyncing with a shield, which has been confirmed already lol.
But in all actuality, you can also only have nana attack first on the pivot desync without the shield, it's just really strict timing.

Prawn

Smash Master
bungie jumping.

im too lazy to find the link, but its super easy and very useful.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
For the Up throw technique, is it possible to use this as a CG set up for levels like Brinstar and Norfair to avoid the lava/acid? I cold pull it off on Norfair, from middle to the outer level walking over, but I can't get it to the top platform on Brinstar. It appears to be too high.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for this video. I like your "This little ***** on a platform messing up my chaingrab." I will work on that.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Finally got around to watching this.

Very good video. Nothing new to me, but I loved the format/presentation and it gave me some good new takes on old tricks. I also appreciated the "****, I got my well-earned grab and this ***** is on the platform." :chuckle:

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
Finally got around to watching this.

Very good video. Nothing new to me, but I loved the format/presentation and it gave me some good new takes on old tricks. I also appreciated the "****, I got my well-earned grab and this ***** is on the platform." :chuckle:
Thanks ^^

And I bet that there's not one IC player out there who hasn't thought at least once that way when Nana's was on a platform like this :D

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
loved the video, answered alot of questions about how kakera does his desyncs. Thanks!

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
^ It can also be done with pivot>shield/spotdodge>(insertattackhere) to do it without having to dash dance. Works the same way with Nana attacking first but with less movement.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
no like watch any recent vid of kakera, you can tell he's doing the nana action first, he also holds his shied a bit longer than you normally could if you did a shield drop

the shield drop one sucks in comparison to this one anyways

swordgard

Smash Hero
no like watch any recent vid of kakera, you can tell he's doing the nana action first, he also holds his shied a bit longer than you normally could if you did a shield drop

the shield drop one sucks in comparison to this one anyways
Both serves different purposes -.-

Top Bottom