• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Summer 2009 Tournament Videos

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I thought this deserves a thread.
I've been amazed by the level of those

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY0rG7nRBLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWdYjE2Is0k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK5oNlwGEs8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7jRYmlFnlU
1st Semifinal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXIF5tK3mg
2nd Semifinal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rclRv9SdhSw
3rd place http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1KiPu_RS1Y
FINAL 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3SNuCAbsl0
FINAL 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57BsJt0JLtk
FINAL 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd50wSmcqTc

Kirbys and Pikachus aside...
Jousuke is too good
Ruoka Dancho is too good
special mention to Buchimakematsuri's Falcon and Zeema's Link

Although yes, japanese version game appears to be easier to do some stuff but still they are so good
Also I like the japanese audience attitude: they never shout unnecessarily unless something good happens

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
Do you know the exact mechanics on stuff like Link's bombs in the japanese game? Is the threshold to "knock people over" determined by percentage, fall speed, weight, or a combination of these? Thanks in advance!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
This topic is good since Malva/Isai doen't allow us to discuss how good people are on his vids.

Josuke is the best offensive samus, so fun to watch

malva00

Smash Master
I feel sorry for them if they had to play while looking at a giant projector screen

those falcons need to learn to attack samus's platform shield while falling down and not while rising up. they can't follow up with additional pressure because of that

This topic is good since Malva/Isai doen't allow us to discuss how good people are on his vids.

Josuke is the best offensive samus, so fun to watch

you are crazy men you have not played the best south american samus players followed by 20 flaming comments followed by I know a guy here who would prob be best samus but no one knows him followed by tell him to play online he'll get ***** followed by 15 online vs console comments

dandan

Smash Lord
you are crazy men you have not played the best south american samus players followed by 20 flaming comments followed by I know a guy here who would prob be best samus but no one knows him followed by tell him to play online he'll get ***** followed by 15 online vs console comments
that really put a smile on my face.
now i get why you set your rules, especially as every stupid message gets sent to you.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
I'm surprised there was only one pika involved. Maybe the Japanese metagame is just different.

Those falcons also had some crazy good movement. I also liked the up+b edgeguard with falcon.

Good tournament to watch.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
They make Kirby look respectable, I really like the reverse weak bair > dair/Final cutter

Jousuke is cool, Dair>Fair>FSmash is cool.

AMazing matches all around.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Do you know the exact mechanics on stuff like Link's bombs in the japanese game? Is the threshold to "knock people over" determined by percentage, fall speed, weight, or a combination of these? Thanks in advance!
100% is the threshold, I don't think anything else determines it.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
pretty good samus. i dont know how he won half of those matches tho.

and i agree with malva00, those falcon players mustve not known the matchup very well cuz they shouldve been able to beat that samus...

malva00

Smash Master
and i agree with malva00, those falcon players mustve not known the matchup very well cuz they shouldve been able to beat that samus...
i never said anything like that stop trying to think you know what I'm talking about.

what I said can be done against any character shielding on a platform

UnholyWeapon

Smash Apprentice
I feel sorry for them if they had to play while looking at a giant projector screen

those falcons need to learn to attack samus's platform shield while falling down and not while rising up. they can't follow up with additional pressure because of that

Agreed malva.

DMoogle

A$
Easier said than done.
I suppose in japanese smash you gotta be extremely careful as there is almost no DI.
You can see several small mistakes ending in a stock loss lol
There isn't almost no DI, there's just less DI. It's definitely noticeable, and enough to often make a difference.

More importantly, DI is more helpful vs. Falcon than vs. Samus, IMO.

malva00

Smash Master
i understood moyashi and another japanese player might be coming states side, why not play the ntsc version with them?
I've played the ntsc version with tatuman in Japan before. why do you think I wouldn't play the ntsc version? "why not?" lol pick your words more carefully

dandan

Smash Lord
I've played the ntsc version with tatuman in Japan before. why do you think I wouldn't play the ntsc version? "why not?" lol pick your words more carefully
is something grammatically wrong, english is not my first language, though i think i am quite ok with it.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
i never said anything like that stop trying to think you know what I'm talking about.

what I said can be done against any character shielding on a platform
i never said i knew wat u were talking about. i just said i agree with ur statement. and then i added my 2 cents by sayin that those falcons were flashier than actually good. falcons like those wouldve destroyed samus, especially one at that level

malva00

Smash Master
i never said i knew wat u were talking about. i just said i agree with ur statement. and then i added my 2 cents by sayin that those falcons were flashier than actually good. falcons like those wouldve destroyed samus, especially one at that level
the comma you put after my name implies the following words go along with "i agree with malva00,"

you should have put them in different sentences if you didn't want to be misunderstood

eDIt: why no youtube comments for ruoka dancho's game 1 victory? lol what a bunch of falcon haterz

blaze3927

Smash Ace
lol noob
^^your comment implied that the falcon players did not achieve success (against samus) because of a part of their game. then darth rancorous said that they should have won if they knew how to "handle a samus"...

malva00

Smash Master
looks like I'll have to ignore you on smashboards as well

don't bother posting now if you just wanna make me read it xP

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
just to clarify my statements thus far, theres no doubt that jousuke is good, but ive seen better samuses out there. those falcons looked really good, i thought they were just gonna **** samus left and right. but just as in the case of many players, especially ones that play online more than they do console, u can look super flashy and know how to do alot of the ATs, but actually suck when it comes down to playin, and the opposite is true as well. there are players who dont know much about the ATs and actually be pretty decent when they play.

malva00

Smash Master
just to clarify my statements thus far, theres no doubt that jousuke is good, but ive seen better samuses out there
lol what a joker

Jousuke is one of the top players in Japan and easily top 3 samus in the known world :laugh:.

Although, His Ness/Falcon are better than his Samus unless he hasn't played anything but Samus since 2006 and got super rusty with everyone else. His super powered Japanese Ness has beaten my Pikachu before.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
lol what a joker

Jousuke is one of the top players in Japan and easily top 3 samus in the known world :laugh:.

Although, His Ness/Falcon are better than his Samus unless he hasn't played anything but Samus since 2006 and got super rusty with everyone else. His super powered Japanese Ness has beaten my Pikachu before.
Really??? I guess that goes to show u that u can't judge a players skill by his videos. If he's really that good irl, I give him mad props for reppin Samus :bee:

MrAniki

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh man, these vids are crazy. Hi guys. I'm an old vet that was recently summoned back to the boards. Smash64 was my game but apparently I had no idea what I was doing. These videos make me want to download the online client and start learning. Thanks for sharing.

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, these vids are crazy. Hi guys. I'm an old vet that was recently summoned back to the boards. Smash64 was my game but apparently I had no idea what I was doing. These videos make me want to download the online client and start learning. Thanks for sharing.
Woah, it's Aniki! *wave* look me up if you ever wanna play

Battlecow

Play to Win
A psychoanalyst should log onto these boards sometime. It's like ****ing Anna Karenina or something. And those vids were mad cool; without wishing to cause offense, which samuses would you say are better than Jousuke's? Obviously the fact that it's japanese version causes problems with the comparison.

malva00

Smash Master
there have been some vids of Jousuke on moyashi's page for a while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaWETF-V_3c& might be console because of the description which mentions a tournament in march in Osaka (google translator <_<)

anyways here's the story behind the vids I uploaded

so last November Keshiki sends me these vids and tells me Red Mario (the commentator according to one of my youtube comments from some japanese d00d) sent him the vids and said not to give them to anyone. Keshiki tells me the same thing lol.

Then a month goes by and I mention the tournament to MEGU on MSN and I told him how I didn't have the grand finals video, so he gave it to me. MEGU also said how these vids were supposed to be a secret or something.

Then finally about 6 months later I ask Red Mario on MSN if I can upload the tournament vids onto youtube. He says I need to ask Takuro for permission. Red Mario asks for me and then Red Mario tells me I can.

He tries to send me a 1GB zip file of the matches but I tell him I have them already; I guess he didn't know XD (but maybe I should have accepted could have been better quality or something before the top 8 cuz my folder is only like 700MB but I don't care now)

(9:39:35 PM) Red: From whom was the video fil received?
(9:40:03 PM) Isai Alvarado: will you be angry?
(9:40:06 PM) Isai Alvarado: if I say the name?>
(9:40:23 PM) Red: oh
(9:40:28 PM) Red: no angry
(9:40:29 PM) Isai Alvarado: angry red mario?
(9:40:30 PM) Isai Alvarado: ok
(9:40:31 PM) Isai Alvarado: lol
(9:40:47 PM) Isai Alvarado: keshiki/megu

I didn't ask him why it was a secret before; doesn't matter anymore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Isai vs Red Mario/Jousuke vids here's the story behind them

So unless people have moved, Red Mario/Jousuke/Sossi/Amasawa are all from the northern Japanese island Hokkaidō. I first played with them in June 2006 , but for some reason the VCR was not working and nothing got recorded? <___< I don't even think I knew until after I left.

Then I visit them again in December 2006 after taking the slow trains for like a day with Jungle Force/Rush 2/Taru/Deneb/Hoto. A lot of matches were recorded, but I dunno who was in charge of the tapes afterwards... so those tapes are lost or something...

I brought my own tape to record matches with Sossi/Amasawa (same tape I used to record matches with tatuman and others in Tokyo a few days earlier). Rush 2 asked me what I was recording and I said "sossi special" and then he asked "red mario special?" and I said "no red mario special" and he laughed out loud. I thought the other tapes were good enough so I didn't record with red mario/jousuke on my tape. Apparently not.

Moral of the story: Isai is the only reliable person when it comes to getting matches on tape and putting them up XD jk

Top Bottom