• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secrets of The Seven Sages: Link's Brainstorming Thread, Complete AT list and Combos

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
General Introduction and Summary

Hey Link mainers!

This is Foxy here. I am actually a direct descendant from one of the Seven Sages and as such I have been gifted with all their knowledge. My purpose here is to aid Link on his quest.

This thread will be divided up into three main posts.
This post will contain the Brainstorming section. The Brainstorming section will be a place where anyone can contribute anything! Anything you want to talk about, test, look into further or want to say can be said right here. This means that if you found something that you think is cool, if you have an idea that could help, if you want to advance Link's metagame, if you want to overcome one of Link's weaknesses or if you are interested in developing an AT that you see further down, then again, this is the place to talk about it.
I will personally take every post seriously and contribute myself (when I'm online), but this is really going to have to be a community effort if it's going to work.

The second post will contain Link's Complete List of AT's, Tricks and Cool Stuff. I can guarantee that you'll learn something by looking through this incredibly long list. Even seasoned smashboards veterans will find something that they didn't know as I have updated it a decent bit since the last time. This list will primarily serve as a way of recording everything that is known about Link for easy reference, but it will also help to give us something to talk about and I shall be adding to it from time to time when new things are discovered through our discussion in this thread.

The third post will contain Link's True combos, percent specific combos and mix up combos. The True combos are unescapable even with SDI. They will always work as long as you don't screw up. The percent specific combos will only be unescapable within a certain percent range that will change for each character and will be affected by staling and could potentially be escapable earlier than the specified estimated percent range if the opponent has incredible SDI, but for the most part, they are quite reliable and as long as you stay within the estimated range for it to work on, it should always work as they all register as consecutive hits in Training mode. The mix up combos are debatable whether you could even call them combos because they are escapable at any percent range. They rely on predicting the opponent and are merely there for mix ups.

Also, here's a link to Link's frame data just incase you need it. http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=124952

While I would encourage you to post straight in this thread whenever you have something to say, if you are unsure or embarrassed about sharing something in this thread, you can feel free to PM me first and ask me if it's worth posting. I'll give you all the honest advice that one would expect from a descendant of a Sage.

One last thing that should be said before we move on to the actual thread. Don't thank me, thank Scabe for making me.

Link's Brainstorming Thread

So here's how it's gonna work!

First of all, as stated above, everyone contributes by posting things like any tricks/combos/things you pull off in games that you think are cool and could be useful, any ideas you have that could help (brainwaves, if you will), advancing Link's metagame, overcoming any of Link's weaknesses (maybe you have a few theories that you'd like discussed) or if you are interested in developing/discussing an AT that you see in the second post that you see potential in.

Once discussion gets going, I will continue to update this post with your quotes. This will involve the original idea and then any helpful contributions that are made after it that actually go towards some sort of a conclusion or advancement. In the end, I will ultimately be deciding what gets quoted and what does not, which just means that I'll be the one that decides what's useful/helpful. Don't take it personally if you don't get quoted. I probably had my reasons. Just keep trying to post helpfully and productively. On a lighter note, if you don't get quoted, the chances are, I'm just sitting back and watching where the idea is going before I make my final decision. Once I see that the idea is going somewhere, I will be obliged to quote it and only too happy to do so.

Quoted Ideas and useful/helpful responses

Read through this section so you can get instantly up to date with any of the previous discussions instead of having to read through the entire thread. This will give you a general idea of what we are discussing and will help you contribute.

Hyrulian Shield Ideas
There is some interest in looking into the Hyrulian Shield and possible ways to develop it.
Could start with discussing the hylian slide?
Basically a worthless Hylian shield tech here unless it's on ice. It could save (normal) shield pressure when blocking Aura spheres/charged shots etc. Shield dash>immediately release shield>Link slides the shield dash distance in his normal stance and the Hylian shield blocks range attacks like usual but with no lag or push-back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY1M7HIUMnQ
I did a lot of testing in the past.
Hshield is in effect when Link is already standing or crouching, not transitioning to those states. Link occasionally lets down his guard when standing still and puts his Hshield away when holding an item but keeps a constant guard if he’s crouching. If any part of a range attack hits the actual shield Link will be pushed back and remain unharmed (Fox’s lasers will push him). Link himself can still be hit. Explosions, including Snake’s missile, penetrate it but Link’s safe from moves that continue through like Razor Leaf and Robo Beam.

The only time I’d intentionally Hshield is if the opponent was far and using a big range attack; the constant guard doesn’t deplete Link’s normal shield and it’s easier than power shielding. Big controlled blasts like PK Flash/Freeze and Din’s Fire will be blocked if any part touches the Hshield. Charged Aura Balls and Beam Shot’s are easy to Hshield from a distance." (Written before I discovered the slide)
HShield stops every range attack. Explosions and Pikmin aren't considered range attacks. There is slight stun and pushback but not while Link's sliding. Crouching on ice makes Link slide but stops him on normal terrain. Tapping 'shield' automatically makes Link stand from running with no direction input. He slides the distance of shield dashing while the Hylian shield blocks range so you save a few frames of shield drop lag and shield pressure.
It's not great but any lag reduction/shield alternative helps.
What do you think? Do you know of any other ways that we could implement the Hyrulian Shield? Or maybe you can just discuss the Hylian Slide. Have you tried using it in a real game? (If so, how did it work out?) How useful do you think this application could prove to be?

First hit of Bair
What other things could this combo into other than the second hit of Bair? This has a lot of potential for new ideas.
I was thinking that a lot of Link's don't cancel their bair enough on the first hit (cancel it on the ground that is) so they could follow up more.
The landing lag makes it hard to not be grabbed. Sometimes when we're both in the air I'll Bair>Fast fall when the first hit connects>land and Utilt. Utilt/Usmash have farther reach behind Link so Bair (first kick) canceling>Utilt/USmash from a lower position is a good low platform poker.
So I wanted to do some tests on the first hit of Bair cancelled on the ground just to see if I could get any "consecutive hits" in Training mode and to get some general info. The consecutive hits are usually a pretty reliable way of getting true combos.
I tested it on Mario and I was able to true combo the first hit of Bair into a turn around Jab. With practise I was also able to barely pull of a true combo with turn around U-tilt as well. (To get the true combos, you need to focus on using Bair at the last possible moment and of course turning around and Jabbing instantly.)
As Scabe said, the first hit of Bair has set knockback, so anything that I say true combos will true combo at any percent.
I tried a few other moves that didn't work like D-smash, Up-B and U-smash, and while I'm uncertain atm (I'll need to test it properly with another player and not just my spare fingers), I'm pretty sure that it can combo into turn around Grab. The only thing Mario could do was double jump just before he touched the ground, but we might still be able to grab him out of the air. We don't have to worry much about people landing then shielding/sidestepping because for some reason they can't shield straight away when they land (hitstun? in brawl?). This discovery made me think that even though with some moves it says it's not a consecutive hit, it might still be inescapable (again, I'll need to test with another person).
I then tried some things on a few other characters and I soon found that different characters were having different results even though it has set knockback. For example, some characters can't even jump before they touch the ground so with them we may have a guaranteed Grab.

I decided to test all characters to see which ones could double jump before they land and which ones I could get a consecutive hit with a turn around Jab. I found something, character specific, yet mind blowing, which I'll tell you in a sec.

Instead of writing all the characters, I'll give you the highlights.

I was able to get a consecutive hit with a Turn around Jab on every character except Bowser. I tested this strange phenomenon for a while and for some reason, Bowser is immune. Some characters were slightly easier or harder to get the consecutive hit with.

Almost every character was able to double jump out before they touched the ground except Bowser, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Ganon, Meta Knight, Fox, Falco, Wolf and Captain Falcon. Some characters were able to double jump sooner then others. With the characters listed that can't double jump, theoreticaly, we should be able to get a guaranteed turn around grab.

And here it is! The big one. As I was going through the characters, I got to Meta Knight. Oh yes. As I have said, we should be able to get a free grab on him, but that isn't what I'm most pleased about. I did the quick test to see if I could get consecutive hits by doing the usual SH, Bair (cancelled on the ground) turn around Jab, and it worked first time. A little too easily.... You see, I'd accidently stuffed the timing up and I had used Bair slightly too early. The Jab should not have been a true combo. For some reason unknown to me, out of curiosity perhaps, I tried to combo the Bair into a turn around D-smash and IT FRIKEN WORKED! I got that consecutive hit I was looking for but not expecting to see. For some reason, the first hit of Bair absolutely owns Meta Knight. He is the only character that I've been able to get a consecutive hit with D-smash (I haven't tested it on all characters yet, but still).
This means that on any percent, as long as you don't screw it up, LINK HAS A GUARANTEED D-SMASH ON META KNIGHT.
Oh and I just thought of something that would make things much easier. If possible, we need to find a way to get the timing of the Bair consistenly. You know what I mean? So even if it means jumping, doing something straight away then doing a Bair straight after that automatically gets timed perfectly to come out just as you land. Something along those lines so that we don't have to try to time the Bair perfectly. Then, we want the easiest possible way to perform the turn around moves. Should we buffer the turn around? Hold it? Flick it? Lightly tilt it? I tried a few variations while I was testing and some were easier but some were faster, so this is still a bit of a grey area. Basically, what should be the agreed way to perform this to make it consistent?

(next post)

Edit 2: I beat you guys to it XD. I found the ultimate way to perform this. It's very simple and it will perform the Bair perfectly, every time (if you don't screw up). You simply SH, Fast fall asap and at the exact same time that you hit down on the joystick to fast fall, hit Back on the c-stick. If you fast fall as early as you can and you perform the Bair at the exact same time (quite easy), then the Bair will always come out at the last possible moment. Which means that if the Bair comes out at all, it has set you up perfectly for any combos. Then it's just up to you to turn aorund and do what you want in the shortest time you can and you can guarantee that it'll true combo.

In regards to my former concern about the extra landing lag, it doesn't seem to affect the combo-ability at all. If anything, fast falling might actually save time because I was easily able to get the turn around U-tilt on Mario where previously I struggled a bit. This may just have to do with the Bair consistenly being timed perfectly, but either way, it appears to be easier to true combo now.

All you have to do is practise the timing for the fast falling.
For the record, these were all tested in training mode and if I say it's a true combo, what I mean to say is the game registered it as a "consecutive hit". The way I performed the combos was I did a SH, as soon as I could I Fast falled and hit Bair at the same time (Bair with C-stick), rolled the joystick from down (the fast fall) to towards the opponent while I was falling (to turn around as soon as I land) and then performed the move that is specified. You may find an easier way to perform it for you, but this is the way that I would advise for it to be performed if you asked me.

True combo follow ups to the first hit of Bair cancelled on the ground.

Mario: Jab and U-tilt
Luigi: Jab and U-tilt.
Peach: Jab and U-tilt.
Bowser: He's immune.
Donkey Kong: Jab.
Diddy Kong: Jab and U-tilt.
Yoshi: Jab.
Wario: Jab.
Link: Jab.
Zelda: Jab and U-tilt.
Sheik: Jab and U-tilt.
Ganondorf: Jab.
Toon Link: Jab and U-tilt.
Samus: Jab.
ZSS: Jab, U-tilt and D-smash.
Pit: Jab and U-tilt.
Ice Climbers: Jab and U-tilt.
R.O.B.: Jab.
Kirby: Jab, U-tilt and D-smash.
Meta Knight: Jab, U-tilt and D-smash.
King D3: Jab.
Olimar: Jab and U-tilt.
Fox: Jab, U-tilt and D-smash.
Falco: Jab U-tilt and D-smash.
Wolf: Jab.
Captain Falcon: Jab.
Pikachu: Jab, U-tilt and D-smash.
Ivysaur: Jab.
Charizard: Jab.
Squirtle: Jab, U-tilt and D-smash.
Lucario: Jab.
Jigglypuff: Jab and U-tilt.
Marth: Jab and U-tilt.
Ike: Jab.
Ness: Jab and U-tilt.
Lucas: Jab and U-tilt.
Mr GaW: Jab, U-tilt and D-smash.
Snake: Jab.
Sonic: Jab and U-tilt.

That's all for now.
WE NEED A NAME!! Bair Cancel? Let's think, so it's the first hit of Bair that is cancelled on the ground. That's what we have to work with. We probably can't include whatever folow up we would use because the follow up changes. Ground cancelled Bair? It just doesn't sound cool enough. We need a cool sounding name.
Dropkick Combo.
Example: Dropkick Dsmash combo.
Dropkick sounds good. :grin:

i.e Dropkick Jab Combo, Dropkick Dsmash Combo etc.
Let's try to develop this further. What does it combo into? How can it be used? Any info on this one would be really appreciated, so if you have anything to add, go for it.

Jab Locks. Set ups and general discussion
Link's Jab Lock can lead to zero to deaths if you know how to use it. I see it as an incredibly importaint part of his meta game that we simply cannot ignore. Let's find new ways to set Jab locks up, finish them off, keep them going, and any discussion about them at all. Perhaps you have a really easy way of performing it? Perhaps you just need help. Let's discuss the Jab Lock!
Though as far as Jab locks. There is that japanese video up with multiple Jab locks Strats. Maybe start with catalog those first and move on from there. So as to both having someplace to begin as well as no repeating ourselves.
As promised, I've gone through the vid of jab locks and I've listed every way that he set them up. So read through, feel inspired and let's hear some discussion on finding some more Jab lock set ups. I'll quote this post and a few others that lead to this post and create a new discussion in the OP. I will add any new ideas that you have to this list which will also of course remain in the OP.

Keep in mind that a lot of these are not guaranteed set ups, but who cares.

1. Throw Boomerang at them close up, walk forwards, Jab.

2. U-tilt a shielding enemy who is standing above you on a low platform, they fall off the platform in their tumble animation, when they land, simply Jab them.

3. Both you and your opponent stand on a low platform with the opponent standing near the edge of the platform. Jab him, he will fall off the platform in his tumble animation, you fall through the platform and when you land, Jab him.

4. Bomb pull, Full hop, throw the Bomb down just in front of your opponent, footstool them, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them.

5. Pull out a Bomb, Footstool a grounded opponent, throw the Bomb down, Footstool them again, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them.

6. Throw the Boomerang so that it misses the opponent, use the three hit Jab combo on the opponent so they get hit into the path of the returning Boomerang, they will be pulled back towards you, when they land Jab them.

7. Pull out a Bomb, Jump, double jump, throw the bomb down at the opponent, fast fall, Quickdraw in their direction, then Jab them.

8. Throw a Boomerang at the opponent up close, shoot an arrow, run up and Jab them? (in the vid he did not use this as a Jab lock set up but the arrow does lock them.)

9. SH, Bair so that the first hit misses them and so that the second hit hits them just as you land, run towards them, SH Nair so that you miss them on the way up, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them.

10. SH, wait a bit, Zair up close so that you hit them just as you land, run towards them, SH, Instantly footstool them, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them.

11. Against some characters, you can hit them with the first hit of Bair just as you land, SH towards them and Instantly footstool them, in the vid he followed this up with a Quickdraw to Jab, but the footstool is not guaranteed as they can always escape if they expect it (I already tested this).

12. Hit an opponent up against a wall (with the three hit Jab combo) and if they don't tech it, Jab them when they land.

13. As soon as you come back from losing a stock, Bomb pull, get close to them, throw the Bomb down at your feet then quickly jump towards them and footstool them and then land an Jab them..... (I have some serious doubts about this one.)

14. Footstool an opponent who is jumping up from the edge, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them.

15. Against some characters (I presume) SH, Zair them close up, D-tilt them (it should spike them into the ground) then Jab them.

16. ....this one's silly. Grab them, Up-throw them, SH, Footstool them, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them. (maybe this is hoping they will airdodge through you expecting you to attack them, and then you footstool them just as their invincibility frames run out?)

17. Throw the Boomerang up really close, SH, Instantly Footstool them, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them.

18. On slower falling characters, Jab them twice, Jab cancel, SH, Instantly Footstool them, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them.

19. Throw the Boomerang so it misses them, Pull out a bomb, Throw the bomb at them, they will get pulled back by the returning Boomerang, SH, Footstool them, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them.

20. Lol.... Pull out a Bomb, Full hop, Double Jump, Z-drop the Bomb, Fast fall to the other side of the opponent and D-tilt. The Bomb will hit them and then they'll get spiked into the ground by the D-tilt and then you Jab them.

21. Throw the Boomerang at your opponent from close up, Run towards them, SH wait a bit, Fair so that you hit them with the First hit of Fair then Instantly land, Jab them.

22. SH, Zair up close to them just before you land, Run forwards a tiny bit, SH Instantly Footstool them, Fast fall, Quickdraw towards them, Jab them.

From this point onwards, I finished looking through the vid and anything listed has been posted by one of us. Keep the suggestions coming! This is great work!

23. Throw a Boomerang so that it misses your opponent, wait a bit, D-tilt them into the returning Boomerang, they will get caught by it, if they don't airdodge or tech then walk up to them and Jab them when they land.

24. Throw a Boomerang so that it misses your opponent, Grab them, F-throw them into the returning Boomerang, they will get caught by it, if they don't airdodge or tech then walk up to them and Jab them when they land.

25. SH and drift towards the opponent (continue to hold towards them until you land) Zair up close to the opponent and close to the ground, combo it into a D-tilt spike, if they don't tech it, you can combo them into an inescapable Jab.

26. Pull out a bomb, SH, drift/DI towards the opponent (continue to hold towards them until you land), Airdodge, Zair up close to the opponent and close to the ground, combo it into a SH, Bomb D-throw, Footstool, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab them.

Well that's where we are atm. If you want to contribute another Jab Lock set up, post it and presuming that it works, I'll add it to the quoted post that has the list of all known Jab Lock set ups. But this isn't all you can post! Feel free to post anything that is Jab Lock related. Anything at all. Suggestions are at the top of this discussion.

Returning Boomerang. (The Gale Return)
This could lead to some interesting discussions. Link's Gale Return has this amazing pushing and pulling effect caused by wind hitboxes. Very strange things can occur with wind hitboxes. Let's discuss the returning Boomerang and possible uses for it!
Let's focus on the effect of the Boomerang returning. Needs a cool name like Gale return or something. :p
The gale pull/push acts like a solid wall when a character hits it in hit stun from steep vertical angles. Hypothetically bombs, Dtilt, Usmash, Utilt, Dair, Dthrow, Uthrow, and Uair could 'gale spike' (like stage spike) into combos. Dtilt/Utilt/bombs are the only feasible options. Although, Dthrow might work if the gale's returning behind Link.
Anyways with the Gale Return there's quite alot of possibility for combos.

Usually when you throw a bomb the boomerang and it hits the opponent. The Boomerang pulls them in setting you up for a free hit. I think Fair is usually the bets since both hits will connect iirc?

I wish Dair would work constintely but it does the Gale Return does that thing where it saves the opponent rather then getting killed by the Dair.

Also in teams I've had some amazing saves with the Gale Return. It's actually saved my partner a few times when he would have died.
This is already turning out great. There are so many uses for the returning Boomerang. This shouldn't be a hard discussion to contribute to. Go for it!

Zair Combos
As you should know, Link's Zair has this amazing property where it has two kinds of hitboxes. There's the chain as it comes out and there's the claw snappy thing at the tip once it's fully extended. In order for Zair to combo into other moves, Link has to cancel the Zair early before the claw chomp comes out. So when I say, "Zair Combos", I'm talking about stuff that combos out of the chain hitbox of Zair when you land on the ground soon after to cancel the Zair. Just a warning about this, it means that you give up some of your spacing.
@Scabe
Try the Zair>Pivot landing Bair. Might only be able to do single hit Zair and relatively close. But if it does manage to work there are some combo possibilities there.
This at about 48 seconds in. See if that's possible with Link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LW7p9_sqOI&feature=related
Hmm, zair pivot landing? I'm thinking it's definitely possible, but the applications are gonna be much more limited for us I think. For us to do it, we probably will have to only get the first hit of zair to land like Ryos said (otherwise we wouldn't be close enough), setting ourselves up to ruin our spacing if they shield or dodge, and opening us up to nasty counterattacks since Link is garbage up close. Another question is whether or not it's escapable (or at least easily escapable) since I would imagine we have more lag on our jump than Tink. If zair DOES lead into a bair though, it might be useful, although it still seems like it'd be a very dangerous AT for us to use, since this is a very aggressive technique and Link is not a character who likes to approach. Maybe this could be useful out of a SH'd airdodge?
Zair pivot landing Bair works. I tested this on Wolf and it's a true combo!
I think Zair>Pivotlanding Bair is more of a defensive to offensive move.

Possible use for this being: When your opponent gets close to you, retreating air dodge to approaching Zair in the same SH, into a pivot landing Bair might actually help Link turn the situation in his favor when someone gets too close where Link doesn't do so well.

But it most definitely will have to be a surprise for it to work. Not something you want to use over and over unless they are too stupid to figure out how to deal with it. Also the real problem is if they shield the zair. Though they are less likely to shield of they think Link is about to back away with an air dodge.
It looks pretty flashy. It worked on like Snake, MK and Wolf, those are the ones I've tested.

So it may come in handy this move whenever you use the close up version of Zair.
But I figured I'd stuff around for a bit to see if I can find anything else so I don't leave you empty handed and I found something. Did you guys know that you can combo Zair into a SH bomb D-throw? If you can't see where I'm going with this, then allow me to explain further. You obviously have to do a Zair with a Bomb and you have to Zair up close, but then you can combo that into a SH Bomb D-throw, Footstool, Nair, Fast fall the Nair, Jab Lock. I'm sure you must have known about that, right?

Anyway, possibly char specific, I'd have to check, but it's pretty ****.

True combo? Possibly not if they SDI the Zair away from you. But it did register as a consecutive hit.
The first hit of Zair cancelled early has great combo potential. What other combos can you find? If you can't test, you can be just as helpful by suggesting possible combos. One such combo I found was....

Zair to D-tilt Spike 0_o
I found after doing some tests with Zair that Link can register consectutive hits in Training mode with a Zair to D-tilt spike combo. This is absolutely amazing! Or is it? There are still a few things wrong with it, like you have to Zair up really close to the opponent and close to the ground, so we need to find ways to set it up. Also, the D-tilt spike is quite hard to connect with because the spike hitboxes get over powered by the normal hitboxes so there's not much room for error. Still, this could be meta game changing as it means that on stage it can lead straight into a Jab Lock if they don't tech the spike and near the edge it can mean instant death. In short, this could be big.
Anyway, I did some more testing! And it's good news!
I tested it on every character to see who it would work on and I was able to make it work on everyone! The entire cast! But before you wet yourself, you must know that some characters are much harder than others and before you get all downcast, you must know that some characters are very very easy to spike.
It all depends on three factors. How far they get hit away with Zair. How high they get hit with Zair. And finally, where their hurtboxes are while they are getting hit away.

Before I go through the list of Char's, I think I'm in a position to tell you how to perform this. After all the testing, I found that the easiest way was to SH, drift towards them, Zair close to the ground, hit them as close as possible, continue to drift towards them until you land and then D-tilt asap. For some char's and for higher percents, you may need to continue to hold towards them for a little bit after you land so you can walk forwards a tiny bit and then D-tilt in order to close the gap better. Other then that, it's all just to do with getting a really good idea of where the D-tilt spike hitbox is. This just comes with practise.

I'm going to go through the list of char's and tell you what's going on with them.
Remember, I was able to combo Zair into D-tilt spike on everyone. As I found out, it does not make any difference whether you try it so you spike them into the ground to set up a Jab lock or if you spike them off stage. It still connects the same.

As I go through the list, unless I specify, it works on low to medium percents. Any higher and it would make things a lot harder (but not neccesarily impossible. It just means you have to walk forwards a tiny bit before you D-tilt.) I will at some point, go through the list and specify exactly at what percentages it works at for each char.

Mario: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Luigi: Ditto.

Peach: A little bit harder because of floatiness. You may have to ever so slightly delay the D-tilt (it will still register as a TC.)

Bowser: Very Hard. For Bowser, because he only gets hit up a little bit and because he has a lot of hurtbox (he's fat), you need to get him to higher percents first (70ish) in order to get the rest of his body out of the way.

Donkey Kong: Very Hard. You need to hit his foot. You'll see what I mean. He sort of sticks his foot out in a nice spot to hit it, but you also have to avoid his other foot (otherwise it won't spike). (Works at the usual low to medium percents, just thought I'd clear that up, but remember, if I don't specify, it means it works at low to medium percents.)

Diddy Kong: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Yoshi: Ditto.

Wario: Ditto.

Link: Ditto.

Zelda: Ditto.

Sheik: Very Hard. With some characters, it only seems to work at a certain percent. This is because there is something very wrong about the way they get hit, so that you need to get them to a certain percent when they change their hurtbox animation or they simply get hit high enough. Sheik is one of these characters. It's possible, it's just it only seems to work at a specific percent which I will go into in more detail when I test to see what percents it works on for each char. For all other char's, that this happens to, I'll say, "Same as Sheik."

Ganondorf: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Toon Link: Ditto.

Samus: This was an interesting one. You might even say it doesn't work. But we can true combo spike her out of the Zair, just not in the same way as the rest of the cast. You see, she floats over the spike hitbos of the middle of the sword. So the only way I found to spike her was to get close enough and hit her with the arm spike hitbox of Link (you know, right?). So it's still possible, just different.

Zero Suit Samus: lolz lolz lolz!!! This one is easy! There are only two characters that I reckon are simply dead easy to perform this on and ZSS is one of them. It's because the only thing we can hit is her skinny foot. It's really easy because of the small hurtbox. Nothing gets in the way! So as long as you line up the Spike hitbox just right, this one is as good as done! Poor ZSS.

Pit: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Ice Climbers: This one is as simple as the average chars, but it's different because obviously, there are 'two characters'. So I just thought I'd give a special mention that sometimes you spike them both and sometimes you only spike one. Useful? I don't know. Perhaps for gimping purposes, it would be better that they were seperated.

R.O.B: This one was a little bit hard but only because you had to hit the very corner of his base thing. Not too much to worry about.

Kirby: This one is actually a little bit harder because he's so small. You need to Zair closer to the ground, but by doing this it means you get less drift in their direction. So you need to Zair, walk a little bit then D-tilt Spike.

Meta Knight: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

King D3: You need to hit his foot just like Donkey Kong. Medium difficulty.

Olimar: You may need to walk forwards a little. A bit harder.

Fox: Very Hard. Same as Sheik.

Falco: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Wolf: Very minimal drift is needed. He doesn't get hit very far by Zair.

Captain Falcon: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Pikachu: lolz lolz lolz. Very Easy!!!! This is dead simple. He gets hit in such a way that his body gets right out of the way and his thin tail sticks down in a really easy to hit way in the perfect spot to D-tilt spike. You really can't miss.

Ivysaur: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Charizard: Ditto:

Squirtle: Ditto.

Lucario: Ditto.

Jigglypuff: Hard to time. You need to slightly delay the D-tilt because she floats over it.

Marth: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Ike: Very Hard. Same as Sheik.

Ness: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Lucas: Very Hard. Same as Sheik.

Mr.G@W: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.

Snake: Easy. Not as easy as ZSS and Pikachu, but easy.

Sonic: Fairly straight forward. Medium difficulty.
If you do it properly and you D-tilt spike them and they don't tech it, they literaly can't escape the Jab lock. I've found that I can just stand still and Jab asap after the D-tilt, but maybe with some char's you need to walk forwards a tiny bit first.

Ok, so let's talk about setting this up. It is obvious to you all that a major flaw in this is getting that miss-spaced Zair right up close. Well, this is the brain storming thread, this is why we're here. Let's think of some solutions.

How about punishing laggy moves. This includes anything laggy, just laggy actions in general.
Another idea? SH airdodge towards your opponent, dodging an attack and canceling the airdodge with the Zair up close.
I like this idea. I often combo Zair>smash to stop powerful moves like smashes/Falcon punch/etc, we could Zair>Dtilt spike to punish moves. Zair has great disjoint, even used close, and high piercing priority, it's also a projectile eater. Air dodge a move>Zair>Dtilt brings us nice and close, maybe a good Dtilt arm hitbubble spike vs in-air opponents.

Mario fireball approaches>Zair eats it and we spike.
Link's Zair and grab will not be affected (other than damage) by Mario's cape; in other words, no flip or stun no mater what. If we could time it right, Mario will have a terrible time recovering.

I want to say the spike is at a sharp angle that launches down and away; we can spike opponents past a grab-able edge from higher pass-through platforms. Stages like Delfino, Smashville, Rainbow Cruse, etc have these.
Zair attacks as Link drops through platforms as long as the claw doesn't land on the platform.
If the spike's off we can always Utilt or smash. Considering how much Link relies on Zair we can spike at close spacing opportunities, most opponents want to break through.

Note that sloped edges and ground (like Yoshi's Island Brawl) affect Dtilt's attack angle.
Though i figure the most effective and safe way to attempt a Zair>Dtilt spike would be to use it at the end of a jab lock in progress. If you can get them into a jab lock and walk them to the edge, let them stand up Zair>Dtilt and go for the kill, because they wouldn't be coming back from that.
Here's a vid of Zair to Dtilt Spike. More to come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNT2fT8niRY
This still needs a lot of input from everyone. Let's try to think of ways to set this up and ensure the spike hitbox to connect. Maybe you can think of a different way entirely to perform this? How about finding out what percents it is easiest to connect the spike on? In general though, we need to brainstorm and find ways to over come it's problems and find new ways to take advantage of it's good points. Remember, this could be big.

BDACUS
The Buffered Dacus is still a relatively new tech and certainly hasn't been given enough thought by us Link mainers. This section is to be devoted to the BDACUS amd its uses for Link, specifically, what should it be buffered out of and how can we use it best?
I learned how to Bdacus ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcDLKBJyQzk ), if you press up on the C stick, you'll buffer a Dash attack. Today after I learned some characters can't jump from B-throw and Fthrow (Bthrow> Fthrow though F throw has better follow ups) and but I only find it possible to Bdacus from Fthrow, some characters are forced to land, others have the ability to jump near ground, it doesn't work at all for some... these are not true combos. These arent useful on character that are sent flying as they can DI away from you. The Bdacus can be used to rack up damage and dash attack can lead into juggles and strings.
I used two controllers to test this
Forced Landing
Near Ground
Barely Works
Doesn't work too well
Doesn't work at all
Fthrow
Mario - Bdacus/? - Can (barely) escape. Just jump.
DK - Bdacus - dash attack only works if he didn't jump- He goes a bit high but it can still be pulled off
Link - Bdacus/Dash attack - It works well on him... lol
Samus - ?Bdacus?- Can escape if she wanted to. Just jump.
ZSS - Dash attack/Bdacus - you really have to make sure you do this quickly as her jump gets her out of range quickly
Kirby - Bdacus - I honestly expected this to completely fail, but the Usmash's first hit can knock him into the third hit, otherwise, it fails.
Fox - Bdacus/dash attack/Grab? - Fox has to go through 4 frames of hard landing lag giving us more time to attack, if he shields then you can get a grab
Pikachu - Dash attack?/?Bdacus?-This thing goes way too far, Dash attack barely gets him and usually will miss. The Bdacus will be late and Pikachu can escape before you can really move
Marth -Bdacus - Marth (barely) escapes. Just jump. Dash attack will give a red spark(don't know name) if he doesn't move at all.
Gaw - Bdacus - Dash attack will miss since it goes too far and Gaw can easily counterattack or jump away
Luigi - ಠ_ಠ - He goes too far for Dash attack and once he flips, he's out. BDacus won't won't reach him in time
Diddy Kong -Bdacus - he goes too far for Dash attack and Bdacus will only work if diddy doesn't buffer a jump
Zelda - Bdacus - it all depends on what Zelda does after hitstun. As long as she didn't jump, then you can get the hits in
Shiek - Bdacus/dash attack- Same as Zss
Pit -?Dashattack?/Dacus - Same as DK
Meta Knight - Dash attack.../Bdacus - Bdacus can hit MK out of his jump, and dash attack won't hit MK unless moves towards you
Falco -Bdacus - He goes to far for dash attack. He can counter Bdacus though... if he expects it...
Squitle - Bdacus - Most light characters just go too far squirtle is not an exception. BDacus works but only if squitle doesn't jump
Ivysaur- Bdacus..../?Dash attack? - he flies too far for dash attattack, in order for it to work, he must move forward. Bdacus only works if ivysaur doesn't jump.
Charizard - Dash attack../Bdacus - Same as DK, you can be counterattacked... if expected. Dash attack will miss if Charizard moves back.
Ike - Dash Attack/Bdacus - I prefer dash attack as it is faster and Ike has very little time to react to it. I'm not to sure about this but i think if Ike dodges, you will still hit him.
Snake -Bdacus/Dash attack- Use Bdacus, Dash attack doesn't send Snake far at all.
Peach - ಠ_ಠ - You can try Bdacus but she flies too high, she'll only get hit if she doesn't jump or float
Yoshi -Bdacus - Yoshi flies too high for dash attack, and with it's mobility, it can easily move out of the way of Usmash. It will only hit if yoshi doesn't move too much or DJ.
Ganondorf Dash attack/Bdacus- again, I prefer dash attack. If ganon ends up landing, he'll go though 5 frames of hard landing lag. It doesn't make much of a difference
SoPo - Bdacus- Popo really goes pretty far but not that far. Bdacus will hit as long as Sopo doesn't move away or jump
King Dedede -dash attack/Bdacus- Same as meta knight... lol.
Wolf - Dash attack/Bdacus/...grab... - unlike fox, wolf does not undergo hard landing lag so getting another grab would be harder. He lands just as Dash attack hits. He has the ability to shield Bdacus.
Lucario - Bdacus - He goes too far for Dash Attack and Lucario can counterattack your Bdacus
Ness - Bdacus - Same as Lucario
you won't even be able to grab him any way
Sonic - Bdacus - He goes low enough for the initial hit. Basically, same as Kirby
Bowser - Bdacus/Dash attack - Just like Ike, he doesn't have many options, but once he jumps, he's out.
Wario - Bdacus - Doesn't work to well since he goes so far, and is out of hitstun when in midair. Just as long as get gets caught in the first hit, it should be fine.
Toon Link Bdacus - Same as Wario
R.O.B. - Bdacus - Same as Wario
Olimar - Bdacus - Same as Wario
Captain Falcon - Bdacus/Dash attack - It's possible for CF to escape from dash attack if he jumps away
Jigglypuff - Bdacus - Same as Wario... meh.
Lucas - Bdacus - Same as Wario. I wish i could say more but it's just so stale.
Yeah, I guess I created another Link gimmick, haha.
I wasn't too sure where to post this, I hope it's the right place
As you can see, major contribution to this will require a major effort, but don't let that put you off; if you feel you're not up to any testing, then contributions in the form of ideas are also appreciated. So if you have any ideas or are just curious to know if something to Bdacus is any good, then what are you waiting for? Post it up.

What now? Contribute of course!

It's time to contribute. You can add something on to a previous discussion ^ or you can create a new topic of conversation. So if you have anything to share, go for it! If you have any ideas or brainwaves that you reckon could be a good topic, let's hear it!

If you don't have anything to contribute atm, then feedback about this thread is also good to hear.

(Also, any help with getting some more pictures is also appreciated. This thread may as well be epic and look nice at the same time.)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Link's Complete List of AT's, Tricks and Cool Stuff

Welcome Link mainers to the new home of Link's techs.

If you are wondering why I say "new", it's because I actually made a thread that contained some of this stuff a while ago. The difference is of course that there are many new things in here that weren't known back then and this post is now not the main feature that I'm trying to promote. Also I've matured a lot since then.
I realise now that AT's aren't everything. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm still a bit obsessed with them and I love how they can create a lot of interesting discussions, but I realise now that they should not be the centre of one's gameplay. They should only be there to complement your already existing gameplay. I ask that you take this advice and keep it in mind while reading through this list. It's not all bad news though. AT's and Tricks do give you more options and the more options you have, the less predictable and punishable you become. But if you're going to use techs in a serious match, please make sure you can perform them without thinking and you feel like they are already apart of your normal gameplay. If you're focusing on trying to pull off a flashy move in the middle of a game and not focusing on the game itself, it probably won't end well. But again, don't worry too much, I only say this to make sure you practise them a lot first.

With all the serious talk out of the way, here it is.

Stay Flashy!

Index

Bombs
IBomb
Z-Dropping Techs
Sliding Techs
Ledge Techs
Bomb Catching Techs
Spiking Techs
While Holding a Bomb Techs

Boomerang
Phantom Boomerang
Gale Guard
Reversing Techs
Gliding Techs
Zero Lag Catching
The In-between Angles
Boomerang Glitches

Arrows
Quickdraw Techs
Reversing Techs
BCAT
The Jerk

Sword Play
Up-B Techs
Up-B Reversals
D-tilt Techs
Up-smash Techs
Jab Techs
Dair Techs
Uair Techs
Fair Techs
Dash Attack Techs

General
Running/Pivoting Techs
Grabbing Techs
Tether/Zair Techs
Infinite Banana Lock

AT Videos!!!
Bombsliding: Everything You Need to Know
DACUS (Boost Smash) Guide
SSBB Link Edgeguard Guide
SSBB Link Edgeguard Guide Part 2
Link's Ledge Hop Invincibomb
......35......?
In-Depth Analysis of the Ledge Hop Fair

Bombs

Invincibomb (Ibomb)
Probably the most versatile AT that Link has.
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump, use airdodge then hit A Instantly after (Almost at the same time).
Effect: Link will do an air dodge and drop the bomb at the same time. This means that you can hit them with the bomb and avoid the blast and any other attacks at the same time.
Note: This can be used in almost any situation. Whether you’re attacking, defending, falling or rising, this is always a good option and should be used by all Links. Something to keep in mind; the airdoge of the Ibomb can be cancelled with Zair. This AT comes in handy whenever you know that an opponent is going to jump up and attack you in the air, an example is Metaknights's Shuttle Loop. For example, if he tries to gimp you off stage with Shuttle Loop, then the Ibomb will win every time. Doing a SH Instant Ibomb can be quite useful for things like doing a cross up (which is simply where you jump through them and land behind them so they have their back to you).
Stages: All

The Invincibomb Drop
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Jump, Airdodge and Instantly Hit A at the same time that you would normally C4. So this just means that you either jump through a platform and Ibomb at the right time or drop through a platform and Ibomb at the right time.
Effect: Link will drop a Bomb on the platform just behind him without it exploding.
Note: Very similar to the C4 only you drop the Bomb behind you and you have invincibility frames.
Stages: Will work on any Stage that has a go through able platform. So every Stage except....
Final Destination, Mushroomy Kingdom, Bridge of Eldin, Mario Bros, Green Hill Zone, Yoshi's Island Melee and Corneria.

C4
There are two ways to do this, so there are two "How to Perform"s.
How to Perform 1: Stand underneath a go throughable platform (Like on Battlefield), Pull out a bomb, full hop then Z-drop just as your jumping through the platform.
Effect: Link will Jump up and land on the platform but as he is doing this, he will Z-drop a bomb safely on the platform.
Note: This is the main way that Link Z-drops Bombs on the ground. (Can also be done with an Invincibomb Drop).
Stages: Will work on any Stage that has a go through able platform. So every Stage except....
Final Destination, Mushroomy Kingdom, Bridge of Eldin, Mario Bros, Green Hill Zone, Yoshi's Island Melee and Corneria.

How to Perform 2: Stand on top of a go throughable platform, Pull out a bomb, Hit down to pass through the platform (quickly return the Joystick back to neutral) and Z-drop the bomb as your going through.
Effect: Link will pass through the platform and he will leave behind a bomb sitting on the platform.
Note: This is harder then the first way to C4. You can use the two, one after the other, to leave two bombs on the platform above you. (Can also be done with the Invincibomb Drop).
Stages: Same as above.

Slope Bombing
How to Perform: Stand on a slope/slanted platform facing towards the higher end, Pull out a bomb, Jump, Instantly Z drop on the way up, or Jump then Z-drop the Bomb just before you land.
Effect: Link will drop a bomb on the slope without it exploding, the bomb will slowly slide down the hill and will be surrounded in a 'white aura'.
Note: When the bomb is sliding, if your opponent touches the bomb when it is in this state it will blow up and if the bomb touches your opponents shield in this state the bomb will jump up vertically. This can be used as a mine or to combo with.
Stages: This AT can be used on any Stage that has a slope. That said, I'll only list the Stages that this is easiest to perform on (steeper slopes).
Delfino Plaza, Mario Circuit, Pirate Ship, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Pokemon Stadium 2, Spear Pillar, Distant Planet, New Pork City, Summit, Green Hill Zone, Temple, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Corneria, Rainbow Ride, Brinstar and Pokemon Stadium.

The Bouncy Bomb
How to Perform: First of all you need to be on a stage that has the screen moving up and the stage moving down. Pull out a Bomb, Jump through a go through able platform and Z-drop the Bomb just as you go through the platform you're jumping through (think C4).
Effect: Link will Jump through the platform, drop a Bomb which will land on the platform and jump around on the spot with the same 'white aura' as Slope Bombing.
Note: When the Bomb is bouncing around on the spot, the Bomb is 'active'. This means that if an opponent touches it, it will explode on them and if it is shielded by your opponent, the Bomb will jump upwards. This can also be done with the Invincibomb drop instead of the Z-drop.
Stages: Unfortunately this will only work on two stages, Rumble Falls and Rainbow Ride. On Rumble Falls because the 'speed' of the stage is always changing, it can sometimes be hard to do the Bouncy Bomb. The easiest time to do it is when the stage is moving at a medium pace (like right at the start). On Rainbow Ride it can only be done on the left side of the 'circuit' when the screen is moving up and the stage is moving down.

Tree Bombing
How to Perform: Go on to Onett, Pull out a Bomb, Then C4 on one of the branches (Jump through the branch and Z-drop just over it).
Effect: The Bomb will start Bouncing up and down on the Branch because the branch will be shaking up and down hitting it.
Note: While the Bomb is in this state, it is 'active', just like Slope Bombing and the Bouncy Bomb. This means that if an opponent touches it, it will explode. This can also be done with the Invincibomb drop instead of the Z-drop.
Stages: Onett.

JC Throw
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, run in one direction, Jump then instantly hit the C-stick up, left or right (will also work with down, but you will get hurt, so what's the point).
Effect: Link will run then slide a tiny bit and throw the bomb.
Note: JC simply stands for Jump Cancel. Although this is easy to pull off, Link has many other, much better ways to slide and throw the Bomb. So this could be used to quickly and easily run away from your opponent and throw the bomb back at them while running which can't be done with a normal throw.

Bomb Slide Up Throw Fake Out
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick down then Instantly use Up-smash.
Effect: Link will Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Slide Forwards, Throw the Bomb Forwards during the slide then raise his arm as if he were throwing the Bomb upwards.
Note: This is the same controls as the DACUS (Dash Attack Cancelled Up-smash). There are a few variations of this Tech and all are useful. So you should learn how to do this before moving on.

Bomb Slide Up throw
How to Perform: Similar to the previous tech, Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down then Instantly Charge Up-smash.
Effect: Link will run in one direction, Slide Forwards and Throw the Bomb Upwards during the slide, then he will continue to slide a decent way.
Note: This is an excellent way to throw Bombs up at an opponent. This isn't that hard if you can do the Bomb Slide Up Throw Fake Out, the only difference is you have to be a little quicker and you need to charge the Up-smash.

Bomb Slide Forward Throw
How to Perform: Again, these are all quite similar, Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down, Instantly Hit Diagonally Forward Up-smash then Instantly move the joystick to Forwards.
Effect: Link will run in one direction, Slide Forwards and Throw the Bomb Forwards during the Slide.
Note: This is Link's way of Glide Tossing. This really should be learnt by all Link mainers because by doing this it allows you to instantly follow up after the Bomb Throw (amongst other things).

Bomb Slide Reverse Fake Out
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down, Instantly Hit Diagonally Backwards Up-smash then Instantly move the Joystick to Backwards.
Effect: Link will Run in one direction, Slide Forwards, Throw the Bomb Forwards, do a Fake Throw Backwards then continue to slide Backwards a decent way.
Note: This one looks really trippy, it's also pretty hard. Another good way to Slide and Throw the Bomb.

Bomb Slide Reversal
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down, Instantly Charge Diagonally Backwards Up-smash.
Effect: Link will run in one direction, Slide Forwards, Throw the Bomb Backwards then continue to slide Backwards.
Note: This is Link's other way to 'Glide Toss'. This also should be learnt by all Link mainers. This is possibly the most useful of all the Bomb Sliding techs and also the hardest. This should not be attempted before you can do all the others.

Ledgehop Invincibomb
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Jump off the edge and hang on to the ledge, Hit Down to let go of the ledge as soon as you can (You can't let go straight away, you need to wait like half a second), Instantly Double Jump with slight DI towards stage and Throw the Bomb Down at the edge.
Effect: Link will throw the Bomb down at the edge of the stage but he won't be hurt because he will still have the invincibility frames from grabbing the ledge.
Note: This can also be done by throwing the bomb Forwards. The only difference is you need to Double Jump slightly later so you don't throw the Bomb over the edge. If you DI towards stage far enough when you Double Jump, you can actually land back on stage in the explosion. This can be incredibly useful because it allows you to follow up. You obviously don't need to pull out your Bomb on stage, just as long as you're holding a Bomb when you grab the ledge.
Stages: All except, Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Rumble Falls, Summit, 75m, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow and Shadow Moses Island.

Ledgehop Bombing
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, hang on to the ledge, jump up (ledge jump) and hit Z just as Link is about to Jump (You hit jump then a second later Link jumps).
Effect: Link will jump up off the ledge and leave a bomb behind him sitting near the edge on the ground (sort of like C4).
Note: This is an unexpected way of Z-dropping a bomb on the ground. Some opponents might accidently pick up the bomb without noticing. Because Link has very few ways to Z-drop the Bomb on the ground, AT's like this should be learnt.
Stages: All except Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Rumble Falls, Summit, 75m, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2 and Shadow Moses Island.

Ledge Grab Bombing
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump off the edge and Z-drop the bomb just before you grab the ledge.
Effect: Link will jump off the edge, Z-drop a Bomb down the side of the stage then automatically turn around and grab the ledge.
Note: This is best used against characters that recover more vertically as they try to sweet spot the ledge. You will grab the ledge, the bomb will hit them, you won't get hit because of the invincibility frames and you can easily follow up.
Stages: All except Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Rumble Falls, Summit, 75m, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2 and Shadow Moses Island.

Chaining
How to Perform: Catch a bomb in midair with Bair, Dair or Uair then instantly use any other aerial.
Effect: Bair, Dair and Uair are special in that if you catch a bomb with them and try to do another aerial, Link won't throw the bomb. This means that you can chain aerials together while holding a bomb without throwing the bomb.
Note: You can do as many Bair's, Dair's and Uair's as you like then finish with any aerial, but if you try to do another aerial after Nair or Fair, Link will throw the bomb, breaking the chain. Something to keep in mind; If you catch the Bomb with Bair, Dair or Uair and you want to instantly throw the Bomb at your opponent, then there is a way that you can break the chain. After catching the Bomb with Bair Dair or Uair, simply throw the Bomb with the Instant Bomb Throw which you can find a little further down the list. This allows you to break the chain and throw the Bomb instead of using another aerial.

ZAC
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump, Z-drop the bomb at the peak of your jump, then instantly catch it with an aerial (Bair, Fair, Nair, Uair or Dair).
Effect: Link will Jump, Z-drop the bomb then instantly catch it with an aerial.
Note: This allows you to use aerials while holding a bomb. This is good because it means you can follow up with a bomb throw.

IZAC
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump, Instantly Z-drop the bomb, Instantly let go of Z (so you really want to just flick or tap Z as quickly as possible) then Instantly catch the Bomb while rising with an aerial.
Effect: Similar to the ZAC, the only difference being that the IZAC comes out faster and is much more useful.
Note: This is super hard to pull off. But if you do manage to pull it off it means that you can do things like use both hits of Fair in the one SH while holding a Bomb or you can Chain together two Bairs in the one Full hop while holding a Bomb then you can easily follow up with a bomb throw.

Instant Bomb Throw
How to Perform: Catch a Bomb by Hitting Airdodge, A and a direction (Up, Down, Left or Right) at the same time.
Effect: Link will Instantly catch and throw the Bomb without the catching animation. So it's an Instant Bomb Throw.
Note: What's really happening is your catching the Bomb with an airdodge then you're instantly cancelling the airdodge with the throw. This move can also be done by catching a Bomb with Airdodge and C-stick; it all depends on what you prefer. You can do this move to a Bomb that you threw up in the air, or to a Bomb that has been C4'd on a platform above you by jumping then doing it, you can even do it to a Bomb that has been shielded or thrown at you, just as long as you catch it with Airdodge+A+Direction or Airdodge+C-stick. It doesn't even have to be a Bomb, you can do this to a bannana or nade or anything. I see big potential in finding new AT's with this move, just like this one.......
Stages: All.

SHDB (Short Hop Double Bomb)
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Tilt Throw it Up, Pull out a Bomb, SH, Throw the Bomb, catch the second Bomb with an Instant Bomb Throw Forwards.
Effect: Link will Throw a Bomb up, Pull out another then in the one SH he will throw two Bombs quickly.
Note: This all has to be done really quickly except for the SH Bomb throw because if you do that too quickly you will cancel the SH and just throw the Bomb. This can also be done using a platform, just C4 the Bomb on the Platform (like one of the side platforms on Battlefield) go under the platform and Pull out a Bomb, then SH, Throw Bomb, Catch the second Bomb with an Instant Bomb Throw. It is a great move to pull off if you have the time, assuming you already have a Bomb in hand, you still have to tilt throw it up, Bomb Pull and SH before you throw any Bombs. But once you're in the air this is a dominating move because you can throw two Bombs at almost the same time in the one SH. Now I can see real potential in this because you can also vary the strength of your throws, so you can have two Bombs coming at them at the same speed and distance or at varying speeds and distances. So you could have a strong throw then a weak throw or visa versa. We could even have new techs coming from this. I mean imagine what we could do even if they shielded them both and they both bounce up off the shield. Something to keep in mind; if you Full hop the SHDB, it can be Quickdrawed.

The Invincicatch
How to Perform: Simply catch a Bomb with the Invincibomb (Airdodge then Instantly Hit A. Just remember to keep the joystick neutral.)
Effect: Link will catch the Bomb, airdodge and the Bomb will slowly fall down like a Z-drop. The Effect all depends on what the Bomb was doing before you caught it, but pretty much, the Bomb will instantly slowly fall as if it had been Z-dropped. So a quick example, someone throws a Bomb up at you, you catch it with the Invincicatch, it instantly starts slowly falling or if you catch a bomb that is falling down, it will instantly loose it's momentum and slowly fall.
Note: This can be used to make the Bomb fall through platforms. Simply stand underneath a platform, Jump and catch the Bomb with the Invincicatch when you're just starting to jump through the Platform or you can just catch it at the peak of your SH. To make the Bomb go through the platform, you can either C4 it on top of the platform then Invincicatch it, or throw it up through the platform then Invincicatch it when it's on it's way back down just before it explodes on the platform. The Invincicatch can also be used to Invincidrop the Bomb on platforms. You are not limited to your own Bomb either. You can Invincicatch other things as well like Rob's Gyro and Diddy's Bananas.

Running Bomb Pick Up
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Z-drop it on the ground in any way you wish (C4 will do), Run towards it, Then just as your right on top of it, Put the Joystick in neutral then Hit A.
Effect: Link will Dash towards the Bomb on the ground, then instead of using his Dash Attack to pick the Bomb up, he will reach down, pick it up and slide a little.
Note: This cannot be done out of the initial Dash animation, Link has to be actually Running. It is essential that the Joystick is in neutral before you Hit A, otherwise Link will just pick the Bomb up with his Dash Attack. Something to remember; This can also be done on other items as well, including Diddy's banana's. It works even when they are in his control.

The Bomb Spike!!!
This is Link's way of saying, "You just got owned".
How to Perform: Simply make a bomb explode on the ground near the edge when an opponent is under the ledge, not hanging on.
Effect: The blast of the bomb will go through the stage and hit your opponent, this will send them up but they will hit the stage and get snapped downwards in a fiery display of ownage. This will doubtlessly result in you wetting yourself (it's worth it).
Note: Your opponent may give up at this point.
Stages: Battle Field, Final Destination, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Spear Pillar, Castle Siege, Smashville, New Pork City, Sky World, Temple, Jungle Japes, Corneria, Rainbow Ride, Big Blue and Pokemon Stadium.

F-smash while holding a Bomb
How to perform: Pull out a bomb or pick up/catch a bomb then hold A, Hit the C-stick left or right.
Effect: Link will perform his F-smash without throwing the bomb.
Note: If you continue to hold A, Link will charge his F-smash. To use the F-smash quickly simply let go of A as soon as you hit the C-stick, then hit A again if you wish. You can also hold A after Rolling, side stepping or any B move. In fact it works for pretty much anything that you can do while holding a Bomb without throwing it (including Pivoting), then you hold A while Link is still in the animation of the move and Hit C-stick left or right.

Bomb Up-smash
How to Perform: First of all use a C4, Run towards the dropped Bomb then when your right over it use a Dash Attack Cancelled Up-smash (for more information on the DACUS, look in the Swordplay section).
Effect: Link will drop a Bomb on the ground, run at it then do an Up-smash while holding a Bomb.
Note: You can also charge the Up-smash. The Dash Attack part picks up the Bomb then you cancel into an Up-smash. Do I need to tell you what you can do next? Throw the Bomb Up at them and follow up.

Bomb Dash Attack Cancel
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Jump (SH or FH), Z-drop the Bomb just as you start going back down, as soon as you land hit left or right (depending on which way you want to go), Instantly Hit the C-stick down then Instantly use U-smash (just think DACUS).
Effect: Link will Z-drop the Bomb, then slide across the stage using Up-smash while holding a Bomb.
Note: This is basically the same as the Bomb Up-smash only it's a bit harder to perform and a lot easier to find the time to use in a real match. If you don't understand how this all works, it's simple. The Dash attack catches the Bomb that you Z-dropped and then you cancel the dash attack with an Up-smash.

Zair while holding a Bomb
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, jump, airdodge, Zair.
Effect: Link will use his Zair without throwing the bomb.
Note: You can also Tether recover with a Bomb using the same technique. This technique is used in the VG Combo. To do the VG combo, simply SH, airdodge, Zair (cancelled on the ground), Bomb throw, Up-smash.

Ledge Re-Grab with a Bomb
(Look in the General Section at the bottom if you want to know more about the Ledge Re-Grab.)
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Grab on to the ledge, Hit Backwards (away from the ledge), Quickly Airdodge and Hit Z twice.
Effect: Link will move away from the ledge, then quickly Zair with a Bomb and snap to the ledge. This will quickly regain your Invincibility Frames while still holding a Bomb.
Note: This is another good way to edgeguard. If you can do it fast enough, it is more useful then the normal Ledge Re-Grab because this way means you have a bomb in hand. Something to keep in mind, because you regain your invincibility frames this means that if the Bomb explodes you won't get hurt.

Boomerang

Phantom Boomerang
How to Perform: Simply throw a Boomerang out, but, at the start of the throw the bottom of the boomerang has to touch a platform and keep going straight without deflecting.
Effect: Link will throw the boomerang out, and it won't come back! I suppose they could have called it the Fail Boomerang but Phantom sounds so much cooler.
Note: This will only work when throwing the boomerang left. Trust me, I've tried it myself and it will not.... not come back if you throw it right. You can even angle throw the Boomerang and it won't come back, just as long as at the start of the throw, the bottom of the Boomerang touches a platform.
Stages: ALL, that's right, this can be done on all Stages even Final Destination. But wait! It has no platforms! No platforms, no worries. Simply hang onto the ledge on the right side of the stage, hit away from the ledge to let go, double jump and throw the boomerang at the right time to make the Bottom of the Boomerang hit the top of the whole Stage itself!

Gale Guard
How to Perform: Jump off the edge of the stage, Throw the Boomerang back towards the stage so it hits the lip of the stage, wait until it's gone past you then double Jump, Up-B to recover.
Effect: Link will Jump off the stage, throw the Boomerang back at the edge of the stage, the Boomerang will rebound off the edge and go over/past him.
Note: This is used to gimp opponents when they recover. The Gale Boomerang will push your opponent further away from the stage. This is best used against opponents who have poor recoveries. Something to keep in mind: Once you've thrown the Boomerang and are attempting to recover, a better way to recover would be to Double Jump then Tether the edge. This will work every time and is much better for edge guarding.

The Wavebounce
How to Perform: Jump either Backwards or Forwards, Hit Forward B, instantly hit Backwards.
Effect (Jumping Forwards): Link will Jump forwards, Reverse his momentum and face the other way and throw the boomerang.
Effect (Jumping Backwards): Link will Jump Backwards, Reverse his momentum and face the other way and throw the boomerang.
Note: This can also be done with arrows (look in the arrows section for information on the Wavebounce). This is not the SMS! I don't know why people still get it mixed up. Read below carefully and then compare the two and you'll see the difference.

SMS (Special Momentum Shift)
How to Perform: Jump either Backwards or Forwards, Hit Backwards B, instantly hit Forwards.
Effect (Jumping Forwards): Link will Jump Forwards, Reverse his momentum but not the way he is facing and throw the boomerang.
Effect (Jumping Backwards): Link will Jump Backwards, Reverse his momentum but not the way he is facing and throw the boomerang.
Note: This can also be done with a tilted boomerang. To do this simply tilt the Backwards B then hit forwards as normal. This can also be done with arrows (look in the arrows section for information on SMS arrows).

Running Wavebounce
How to Perform: Run in one direction, Hit Forward B then instantly Hit Backwards. (You should already be holding Forwards because you're running.)
Effect: Link will run in one direction, Reverse his momentum, Turn around and Throw the Boomerang back in the direction he just came from.
Note: This move cannot be done Backwards; this is because we can't Run Backwards. Link will not slide very far when doing the Running Wavebounce compared to the Wavebounce in the air. The timing is also more strict then the Wavebounce. Something to remember, if you use this move on a slippery surface like on the Summit or in the winter part of Pokemon Stadium 2, Link will slide much further then he would have if he used this move in the air (this applies to all the Running Wavebounces).
Stages: All, but it works so much better on the Summit and Pokemon Stadium 2 (winter part).

Running SMS
How to Perform: In truth it's not really a 'Running' SMS, it's more of a 'Jogging' SMS. This is because instead of Running, you will need to Tilt Run or 'Jog' so to speak. This is because you can't throw the Boomerang Backwards straight out of a Run but you can throw it Backwards straight out of a Tilted Run. Right, Tilt Run in one direction, Hit Backwards B then instantly hit Forwards.
Effect: Link will 'Jog' in one direction, Reverse his momentum and throw the boomerang in the same direction he was 'Jogging'.
Note: The same rules apply to the Running SMS that applied to the Running Side B Reversal, that is, this move can't be used Backwards, you will not slide as far as you would have in the air and this works so much better on the Summit and Pokemon Stadium 2. I need to stress that the timing for this is bordering impossible. The SMS was hard enough but the Running SMS is insane. I can do it, but pretty much, if you can't do the SMS, then just forget this.
Stages: All (same as the Running Side B Reversal)

Boomerang Gliding
How to Perform: Run towards the edge then just as your running off the ledge (right on the corner), throw the boomerang.
Effect: Link will sort of glide off the ledge further then normal while throwing the boomerang.
Note: You don't have to do this off the edge, it can be done off any platform and you will get the same effect. Also get this; you will also glide off the edge in the same way if you catch the Boomerang at the right time (right on the corner) as your running off the Ledge.

Glide Wavebounce
How to Perform: Combine Boomerang Gliding and the Wavebounce. Run towards the edge then just as your running off the ledge (right on the corner), throw the Boomerang then instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect: Link will Glide off the edge, quickly reverse his momentum and the way he's facing and go further then normal and throw the Boomerang.
Note: This is best done off a platform and not off the stage itself because if you do it off the stage itself, on most stages, you will just go straight into the stage. The timing is a bit tricky so make sure you don't mix this up with a normal run off the edge Wavebounce. To avoid this, I would practise Boomerang Gliding a few times before attempting this move.
Stages: All. Just remember that obviously on some stages like Final Destination, it's kinda pointless.

Zero Lag Catch
How to Perform: Toss out a Boomerang, then as it comes back, to cancel out the lag, simply do Anything But stand there, jump and do nothing, or run/walk. This means you can shoot, attack, dodge, shield, grab, anything you want even throw out another boomerang that you don't have (not recommended XD), just don't stand still, jump and do nothing or run/walk.
Effect: Link won't stop what he's doing to put the boomerang away and won't get punished.
Note: This should be second nature for all Link's as it is so simple to perform and so necessary. Something to remember, If you throw the boomerang out, it hit's your opponent and comes back before the start up lag of the throw is gone, this will cancel the lag as well.

The In-between Angles
Quick Summary: Ok, First imagine that the 8 primary directions you can move the Joystick are corners on an octagon (this shouldn't be hard because they are), now there are also 8 sides to this octagon that are in-between the corners. Right, Normally when you think of throwing the Boomerang you think of throwing it straight Forward, Diagonally Up and Diagonally Down. These are all 'corners'. Now in-between these 'corners' are of course the 'sides'. I'm just going to take one of these sides (the one In-between Diagonally Up and Straight Forwards) and explain what to do next. On just one of these 'sides' there are two different directions you can throw the Boomerang. It all depends on which 'corner' you are closest too. With all that in mind, this is.....
How to Perform: Push the Joystick towards one of the 'sides' (for explanation purposes, We will use the 'side' in-between Diagonally Up and Straight Forwards). Then depending on which angle you want, without taking the Joystick off the 'side', move it slightly more towards one of the 'corners' of your choice, then Hit B.
Effect: Depending on which 'corner' you went closer too, the Boomerang will be thrown at a slight diagonal angle.
Note: Because these angles are very under used, that makes them very unpredictable. You really should learn how to do this on command because it gives you greater accuracy and it means that you'll have all angles covered.

Returning Boomerang Glitches
Glitch 1, How to Perform: You need to be versing a Marth with Link. Throw the Boomerang out and make the returning boomerang 'push' Marth from behind as he is using his Side-B. It needs to push Marth from behind at the exact moment that Marth uses his third and fourth hit, the ones that move him forward.
Effect: With the added push that Marth receives from the Boomerang, he will get flung off stage to his death. It's actually quite hilarious XD.
Glitch 2, How to Perform: You need to be versing a Diddy. Again, throw the Boomerang out, get grabbed by Diddy and make the returning Boomerang interrupt Diddy's Up-throw.
Effect: Diddy will begin to up throw you, the Boomerang will come to the rescue which will result in Diddy being completely frozen solid. The diddy player will not be able to move or do anything until you hit him/footstool or whatever or until he gets pushed offstage.
Note: If this ever happens to you, don't bother trying to push them offstage as you would have wasted your opportunity. Instead, take your time mocking the Diddy player until they cry and then either hit them with a fully charged smash of your choice or take your time setting up a Jab lock (only if you're confident).

Arrows

Quickdraw
How to Perform: Simply Hit B just as you’re about to land.
Effect: Link will shoot an arrow with no start up lag.
Note: This technique is used a lot, so learn it. It can be used after a SH Bair, a SH Bomb Throw, a Full Hop Boomerang and a Full Hop Arrow amongst other things. The Full Hop Double Arrow could be its own tech and I might get around to writing it one day.

SHFF Quickdraw
How to Perform: SH, Flick the joystick down at the peak of your Jump, make sure the joystick is back to neutral, Quickdraw.
Effect: Link will SH, Fast Fall then quickdraw.
Note: You need to make sure that the Joystick has been returned to neutral before you Hit B, otherwise you will Bomb Pull instead. The SHFF Quickdraw can also be Reversed. To do this, simply Hit Backwards instantly after you quickdraw. Link actually has a better SHFF Quickdraw then Toon Link because he isn't as floaty and therefore doesn't take as much time to perform it.

B-reversal
There are essentially two ways to perform this.
How to Perform 1: Jump Backwards or Forwards, Lightly tilt Backwards and Hit B.
How to Perform 2: Jump Backwards or Forwards, Tap Backwards (hit the joystick backwards then Instantly return it to neutral), then within half a second hit B.
Effect (for both) Jumping Forwards: Link will Jump Forwards, Turn around to face the other way and shoot an arrow.
Effect Jumping Backwards: Link will Jump Backwards, Turn around to face the other way and shoot an arrow.
Note: Jumping forwards is a decent way to shoot arrows back at your opponent while spacing. As for which method of performing to use, the first way has a chance of accidently throwing a Boomerang backwards if you tilt too much and shooting an arrow forwards if you don't tilt at all, but it's the fastest and best way. The second way has very little chance of stuffing up, but it takes too long. So I'd recommend practising/using the first way.

Wavebounced Arrows
How to Perform: Jump Backwards or Forwards, Hit B then instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect (Jumping Forwards): Link will Jump Forwards, Reverse his momentum and face the other way and shoot an arrow.
Effect (Jumping Backwards): Link will Jump Backwards, Reverse his momentum and face the other way and shoot an arrow.
Note: This usually isn't very good for spacing. There are however some circumstances where this is very useful.

SMS Arrows
How to Perform: Jump Backwards or Forwards, Slightly tilt Backwards B, instantly Hit Forwards.
Effect (Jumping Forwards): Link will Jump Forwards, Reverse his momentum and stay facing the original direction and shoot an arrow.
Effect (Jumping Backwards): Link will Jump Backwards, Reverse his momentum and stay facing the original direction and shoot an arrow.
Note: There is a slight difference between a SMS arrow and a tilted SMS. You would need to try them both to distinguish between the two.

Running Wavebounced Arrow
How to Perform: Run in one direction, Quickly start putting the Joystick to Neutral and Hit B then Instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect: Link will Run in one direction, Reverse his momentum, turn around and Shoot an Arrow back in the direction he came from.
Note: For more information check out the Side B Reversal earlier on in this thread. But pretty much the timing is harder then the B-reversal, you won't slide as far as the B-reversal in the air, you can't perform this Backwards and it works better on the Summit and Pokemon Stadium 2.
Stages: All but it works better on Summit and the winter part of Pokemon Stadium 2.

Running SMS Arrows
For more information about why you have to tilt run and general information, check out the Running SMS in the Boomerang section.
How to Perform: Tilt Run in one direction, Tilt Backwards B then instantly Hit Forwards.
Effect: Link will 'Jog' in one direction, Reverse his momentum and Shoot an Arrow in the same direction he was 'Jogging'.
Note: As stated before all relevant information can be found in the Running SMS. But to sum it up, the timing is harder then the SMS Arrow, you won't slide as far as the SMS Arrow in the air, you can't perform this Backwards and it works better on the Summit and Pokemon Stadium 2.
Stages: All (same as the Running B-reversal).

Reverse Quickdraw
How to Perform: Jump, Hit B just before you land and Instantly Hit Backwards
Effect: Link will Jump then perform a quickdraw the opposite way he was facing originally.
Note: This can be done in any situation that you could normally quickdraw; it all depends on where your opponent is. For example you might want to do this move after hitting an opponent with Bair.

Battle Christ's Arrow Trick (BCAT)
How to Perform: Similar to a Reverse Quickdraw, only the timing is harder. What you want to do is wait as long as possible before you Quickdraw, then Instantly Hit Backwards. So Jump, do any move you wish that can be Quickdrawed, then when you're so close to the ground that if you waited a split second longer it would be a normal arrow, Hit B then Instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect: Link will Jump then quickdraw, except Link will turn around when he Quickdraws and the arrow will still go in the original direction.
Note: Very difficult to pull off. This is good because it means you can do a BCAT then go right into a SH Bair. You can do the BCAT after many things, including Full hop Fair, SH Bair and pretty much anything else that can be quickdrawed. This is one of the weirder moves that Link can do.

Reverse BCAT/The Jerk
How to Perform: Similar to the BCAT, only harder still. SH, Do any move you wish that can be Quickdrawed (most useful if used with a SH Bair), then when you're so close to the ground that if you waited a split second longer it would be a normal arrow, Lightly Tilt Backwards B, then Instantly Hit Forwards. (Look in the Note: for an easier way to pull this off consistently.)
Effect: Link will SH, Bair, then Quickdraw except, while Link will stay facing the same way, the arrow will go Backwards in the opposite direction Link is facing (Link will stay facing the same way, but the arrow will go backwards in the direction of the Bair).
Note: Ok, the above way to perform it, will work, but in a little place called reality, it won't work simply because it's too hard for us normal people. So, if you want to actually pull this off consistently, you'll need to perform it with some major buffering. Here's how. You're gonna buffer the B-reversal and the Quickdraw, then all you've got to do is Wavebounce it. I'll talk you through it. First of all, you need to pick what you'll be doing before the Jerk (in other words, what will you be buffering the Jerk out of). For this demonstration, I'll use a SH Bair then the Jerk, just keep in mind that it can be buffered out of anything that can be Quickdrawed. So what you want to do is SH, Bair then buffer the Quickdraw at the last possible moment. To do this, you want to time the Bair so that the Quickdraw only just comes out. Any later and the Quickdraw simply will not come out. You need to find the sweet spot. This is because the BCAT effect will not work unless the Quickdraw is at the last possible moment. So just keep doing a SH, wait a tiny bit, Bair then barely buffer a Quickdraw until you get to the point that you're comfortable with the timing so that the Quickdraw only just comes out. Congatulations, that is the hardest bit. To make sure you've got the timing down, Instantly hit Backwards after the Quickdraw and it should do a BCAT every time. There's one last thing that needs to be buffered, the B-reversal. You may remember that the B-reversal can be done in two ways, you can slightly tilt the joystick Backwards and hit B or you can Hit the joystick Backwards, return it to neutral then within the next half a second, hit B. This second way is pretty much a buffered B-reversal. So now, start practising everything we have together so far. SH, wait a tiny bit, Bair, Hit Backwards then quickly return the joystick to neutral during the Bair animation then buffer the Quickdraw. If it worked, you should have turned around and shot the arrow in the direction of the Bair at the last possible moment. This is it. The final step to consistent Jerks. As soon as you quickdraw, Instantly hit Forwards (the way you were originally facing when you SH'd). One last time just so you know for sure, you SH, wait a tiny bit, Bair, Hit Backwards and instantly return the joystick to neutral, buffer the Quickdraw (which should come out at the last possible moment) then Instantly hit Forwards. This is the easiest way I have found so far to activate the power of the Jerk consistently. As I said, this works best with Bair as it means you can SH Bair, shoot them with a Quickdraw and go straight back into another Bair because you will stay facing the same way and shoot backwards, but it can be done with other things that can be Quickdrawed, the only difference is the timing for the buffered Quickdraw will be different and will have to be worked out. What I've noticed about the Jerk is that people seem to always get hit by it. It's like they can't avoid it. They see you Quickdraw the wrong way, so they drop their shield and get hit by the arrow. It's hilarious. This tech is still quite new, so not all uses for it are yet known, but I see this as quite promising.

Sword Play

Spin Attack Fall (SAF)
How to Perform: Run towards the edge of any platform, quickly use the standing Up-B near the edge then quickly move the joystick back to the direction you were running.
Effect: Link will slide off the platform doing his Up-B then he will actually fall down doing the Up-B.
Note: Make sure you do the Up-B before you fall off the platform or you will go up as usual. You can also control which direction you fall during the Spin Attack Fall. Something to remember, If you do this off the edge, you will need to quickly turn the joystick back towards the edge to grab on, or you will die....

Spin Attack Fall Cancel (SAFC)
How to Perform: Similar to the SAF, You run towards the edge of a platform, then instead of using Up-B to slide off, Charge Up-B and slide off.
Effect: Link will drop off the platform as normal except a light will flash behind him.
Note: The SAFC actually gives you greater control over your momentum then if you had of just run off the platform/stage. You can then cancel this immediately with anything (aerials, B-moves, whatever). This move could be useful if you change your mind and you don't want to do the SAF or as a mindgame but more importantly to give you better control, then you can quickly follow up with anything you want depending on your situation.

Reverse SAF
How to Perform: Run towards the edge of any platform, Hit Backwards, Instantly Jump, Instantly use Up-B near the edge (then quickly move the joystick back towards the original direction you were travelling).
Effect: Link will run towards the edge of the platform, turn around and slide backwards doing his grounded Up-B, slide off the edge backwards then fall down doing his Up-B.
Note: This is pretty much the same thing as the SAF only it means you do it facing the opposite way. The Reverse SAF can only be done if you Jump Cancel the Up-B as compared to the SAF where the JC is optional. But other then that, the same rules apply. So this means that you need to make sure you use Up-B before you fall off the platform otherwise you will go up as usual. You can control which way you fall. If you do this off the edge of the stage you shouldn't need to worry about grabbing the ledge because you should do it automatically, but just to be safe, you may as well Hit back towards stage as soon as you fall off.

Reverse SAFC
How to Perform: It's the same as the Reverse SAF only you Charge Up-B. So you Run towards the edge of any platform, Hit Backwards, Instantly Jump, Instantly Charge Up-B near the edge (then quickly move the joystick back towards the original direction you were travelling).
Effect: Link will run towards the edge of the platform then he will slide off the platform Backwards and a light will flash.
Note: This is kinda like a RAR only you don't Jump. Instead you change the way you're facing and slide off the platform. The same rules apply to the Reverse SAFC as they did for the SAFC. So this means that you have greater control over your momentum and you can cancel the Reverse SAFC with aerials, B-moves or whatever. The only difference between the two moves is with the SAFC you slide off the platform normally and with the Reverse SAFC you slide off the platform Backwards. I can see this being very useful for Link's platform game. So you can Run and slide off the platforms Backwards and approach using Bairs or something.

Fake SAFC
How to Perform: If you know how to do the SAFC then this should be easy as they are performed almost exactly the same way, except for the last bit. Run towards the edge of a platform, charge Up-B at the very edge then instantly hit Backwards.
Effect: Link will look like he's doing a SAFC, the light will flash, but Link will run back on to the platform without falling off.
Note: Possible uses? Well, by doing this, it means that you can instantly start running the opposite way without pivoting. So this could be used to surprise you're opponent. What I think happens is you do actually slide off, the light flashes, but because you hit backwards so quickly you are able to run back on to the platform without falling off, so it's a Fake Cancel. In all seriousness though, this is pointless.

Ledge Grab Cancel
How to Perform: When you're Recovering, Use Up-B towards the ledge, Hold Down.
Effect: Instead of snapping to the ledge, Link will continue to rise past the ledge.
Note: Let me first explain something about our aerial Up-B. The first half of the Up-B animation will not automatically grab the ledge, the second half will. Now, we all know that Link's Up-B recovery is half decent when it comes to vertical recovery, but most other people don't realise. This is useful if someone is standing near the edge expecting you to snap to the ledge, but instead you go past it and smack them in the face with the last hit of Up-B. Once you have gone past the ledge you can let go of down. If you're still holding down when you fall back down to grab the ledge, Link won't grab the ledge. In short, you will die.

Up-B Wavebounce
Instead of writing four different AT's, I've decided to combine them into two. The Up-B Wavebounce and the Up-B SMS. They can be done in the air and while running so I'll just have two 'How to Perform's and two 'Effect's in each AT.
How to Perform in the Air: Jump either Forwards or Backwards, Hit Up-B then instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect in the Air: Link will Jump, slightly Reverse his momentum, turn around, use his Up-B and rise upwards.
How to Perform while Running: Run in one direction, Hit Up-B then instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect while Running: Link will Run in one direction, Reverse his momentum, turn around, use his grounded Up-B and slide a little.
Note: The aerial Up-B Wavebounce could be useful if you're facing the wrong way depending on where your opponent is. The Running Up-B Reversal will slide much further if used on a slippery stage like Summit or the winter part of Pokemon Stadium 2.

Up-B SMS
How to Perform in the Air: Jump either Forwards or Backwards, Hit Diagonally Up Backwards B then instantly Hit Forwards.
Effect in the Air: Link will Jump, slightly Reverse his momentum then use his aerial Up-B facing the same direction he started in.
How to Perform while Running: Tilt Run in any Direction, Hit Diagonally Up Backwards B then instantly Hit Forwards.
Effect while Running: Link will Run in one direction, Reverse his momentum, use his grounded Up-B and slide a little.
Note: The aerial Up-B could help if you need to change your direction without changing the direction you were facing. The Running Up-B will slide further much further if used on a slippery stage like Summit or the winter part of Pokemon Stadium 2.

D-tilt Spike
How to Perform 1: Hit an opponent who is hanging on to the ledge with no invincibility frames with D-tilt.
How to Perform 2: Hit an opponent who is in the air just under the ledge with D-tilt.
Effect: The opponent will be meteor spiked. In other words, epic pwnage.
Note: There are a few other ways to perform this that are pretty situational, but as long as you know these two, you should be right. This move is quite hard to pull off as the hitbox for the spike is hard to connect with.
Stages: All except Mario Circuit, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2, Shadow Moses Island and Onett.

Hyphen Smash
How to Perform: Run in one direction, Pivot, Instantly Jump, Instantly use Up-smash.
Effect: Link will run in one direction then turn around and U-smash while sliding Backwards.
Note: This could be used in the same way that the Pivot Grab is used. That is, you run past your opponent and use it on their other side.

Dash Attack Cancelled Up-Smash (DACUS)
How to Perform: Run in one Direction, Use your Dash Attack then instantly Use Up-smash. Depending on your controls there are a few ways to do this. You can run, C-stick down, Up-smash or you can run, dash attack, C-stick Up. It all depends on what you prefer; I personally use C-stick Down, Up-smash.
Effect: Link will Run then slide a long way and Up-smash.
Note: This is Link's best way to slide and use Up-smash. It is also the root move of all the Bomb sliding techs. In short, if you main Link, you absolutely have to learn this tech. Period.

Jab Cancel
How to Perform: Hit A once or twice, Hit Down, Follow up with any attack.
Effect: Link will cancel his jabs allowing him to use any other move quicker then normal.
Note: This can be used to keep an opponent up against a wall by continuously Jab cancelling (Much like the Jab Lock only no one moves). Link's Jab Cancel is very useful because it allows him to follow up with one of his stronger attacks or with a grab (if they block).

The Jab Lock
For the purpose of this explanation, I will be using the simplest way to set up the Jab lock (By using the Boomerang up close). Just remember that there are many different ways to set up the Jab Lock, some of which are listed in the Note and also remember that this way won't always work.
How to Perform: First of all make sure that your opponent is on low to medium percent. Stand close to your opponent, Throw the Boomerang at them, move slightly forward if you need to, make sure that the joystick is in neutral, Hit A, move slightly forward, make sure the joystick is in neutral, Hit A, repeat.
Effect: Your opponent will get hit by the Boomerang, fall on the ground in a 'flop' animation, get hit by the jab before he can get up, flop again and continue to flop along the ground towards the edge without being able to get up as long as you jab at the right time.
Note: The timing for the Jab is absolutely essential. Too early and you'll do Link's second Jab which will hit them out of the Jab Lock. Too late and they will get up and you will miss the Jab because of their invincibility frames. Alternatively, you can do what's called a Pivot Lock which is done by Throwing the Boomerang up close (or any other way of locking them), move forwards a little, make sure your joystick is in neutral, Hit A, while Link is in the Jab animation Hit Backwards then as soon as he starts turning around Hit Forwards, make sure the joystick is in neutral and Hit A then repeat. What this does is it makes Link spin around while Jab Locking, but more importantly, it keeps the timing for you so there is no chance of Hitting A too early. Unfortunately there is still the chance of Hitting A too late but this can be overcome with practice. So what's the big deal? Well this means that you can Jab your opponent along the ground towards the end of the stage without them being able to do anything and at the end of the stage, you have a free hit! That's right, when you get to the end of the stage and you end the Jab Lock (by not jabbing them), they have what is called a 'forced get up'. This simply means that they have no control over their character simply standing up slowly. So what do you do? When you get them to the end of the stage, you charge a smash like F-smash and finish them off (or you can run to their other side and hit them with the Boomerang again, then start Jabbing them towards the other side of the stage XD). Alternatively, when you want to end the Jab Lock, you can Cancel the Jab (just read the Jab Cancel) and then Instantly use F-smash before they get up. This will mean you're not taking the risk of miss timing the F-smash when you force them to get up and allowing them to shield it. This means that the Jab Lock has the potential to take a whole stock, so learn it. Now I promised at the start that I would tell you other ways to set up the Jab lock. Well here they are:
How to Perform 2: Pull out a Bomb, Stand in front of your opponent, SH forwards towards your opponent, Instantly Throw the Bomb down at their feet, Footstool them on their way up from the blast of the Bomb (make sure it's a small footstool), Use Nair, Fast fall it so you hit them before they get up, Move a little bit forward and Jab Lock. Now you don't need to SH, Just as long as you are close enough to Footstool them as soon as they get hit by the Bomb.
How to Perform 3: Jab an opponent off a platform, Instantly fall through the platform and Jab Lock them. Or Stand beneath the Platform, U-tilt your opponent's shield to make them fall off the platform and Jab Lock.
How to Perform 4: Hit your opponent with your Third Jab into the returning Boomerang, move towards them a little and Jab Lock.
Like I said, there are many other different ways to set up the Jab Lock. To see the ones listed here and more, look at the video about the Jab Lock in the Video section.

The Pivot Slide
How to Perform: Run in one direction, Pivot, let go of the joystick and hit A just as you start moving in the opposite direction.
Effect: Link will Run, Pivot then come out of the pivot doing his jab attack while sliding.
Note: This can be done with all moves, not just the Jab (so you can do a sliding grab, tilt, smash or whatever). You can also slide Backwards and perform any move, to do this simply tilt hit backwards just after the pivot (so you turn around) then perform any move as usual. Doing this will result in you performing your move whilst sliding Backwards. Stages: All

Sliding Dair
How to Perform: Simply Jump, and use a Dair directly over a slanted platform.
Effect: Link will use Dair, land on the slanted surface and slide a little way (the steeper the surface, the further he slides)
Note: You will slide further if you fast fall the Dair. Other then that, it's not that special. It could be used if you know that you're going to receive the huge lag anyway and you happen to be over a steep surface. Then simply Fast Fall the Dair and the slide will make the lag slighly less punishable.
Stages: This works on all the levels that have a slope but I'm only going to list the good Stages.
Delfino Plaza, Mario Circuit, Pirate Ship, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Distant Planet, New Pork City, Summit, Green Hill Zone, Temple, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Corneria, Rainbow Ride and Brinstar.

Uair Stall through the Edge of the Stage
How to Perform: Jump off and grab the Ledge, Hit away from the Ledge, Use Double Jump towards under the Ledge, Instantly Use Uair then Use Up-B to grab the Ledge again.
Effect: Link will move away from the ledge, Jump under it and stick his sword up through the platform so it reaches the other side and stay there for a second then fall back down and Up-B to the ledge again.
Note: This move allows you to attack from under the stage near the edge. With Link, he can actually do this move really well because of his long sword, the only problem is, it's extremely risky. If you don't use Up-B straight away, you won't be able to make it. You can move left or right when you're 'stalled' under the stage. You're of course not really stalled; it's just the momentum of the Double Jump that keeps you up while you're using Uair.
Stages: Lylat Cruise, Spear Pillar, Castle Siege, New Pork City, Sky World, Temple, Jungle Japes, Corneria, Rainbow Ride, Big Blue and Pokemon Stadium.

Ledge Hop Fair
How to Perform: Hang on to the ledge, Hit away from the ledge, Instantly Double Jump towards stage, Instantly use Fair and continue to hold towards stage.
Effect: Link will return on stage using both hits of Fair.
Note: This is a very safe way of getting back on stage so it should be learnt. It is quite hard to pull off at first.

Quick Dash Attack
How to Perform: Initiate a Dash in one direction then instantly Hit the C-stick Down.
Effect: Link will instantly use his Dash attack.
Note: This can be used to instantly perform the DACUS when you're standing still. Unfortunately this won't work with the Bomb slides because if you try to instantly hit the C-stick down with a Bomb in hand, Link will throw the Bomb downwards. This can also be used to use your Dash Attack when standing right on the edge; this is unrecomended though because if you Hit the C-stick Down a little late, you will die.

General

RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush)
How to Perform: Simply Run in one direction, Pivot then almost instantly Jump (Usually a SH).
Effect: Link will Run in one direction then Jump Backwards in the original direction.
Note: This is one of those Techniques that you have to learn. Amongst other things, it can be used to approach using Bair's.

Fox Trotting
How to Perform: Simply initiate a dash in one direction, then another and so on.
Effect: Link will travel across the stage in short bursts.
Note: This is useful for doing things like Stutter Stepping. Basically the same thing except at the end of one of the dashes you quickly hit backwards then Attack in the original direction.

Pivot Walking
Who needs to Moon walk when you can Pivot Walk.
How to Perform: Hold A, Walk in one direction, Press the C-stick in a 45 degree Up and Backwards angle, continue pressing the C-stick in the same way at the right time.
Effect: Link will move in one direction but he will be spinning.
Note: If you press the C-stick too far upwards Link will dash, if you press it too far Backwards he will charge a F-smash in the opposite direction. The Pivot Walk can be used to move faster then a normal walk and can be finished with any move. The Pivot Walk can also be done manually with the Joystick, simply move the Joystick Forward and Diagonally Up/Backwards at the right time.

Pivot Landing
How to Perform: Jump Forwards, Use any aerial if you wish then as soon as you land, Lightly tilt Backwards then Instantly Hit Forwards (Pivot Walk).
Effect: Link will land and Instantly Pivot walk. He will continue going in the same direction he started jumping in, but he will spin once.
Note: This can be very useful for a few things. For example, you can do a SH Zair, Pivot Land, then Combo out of the Zair into a SH Bair.

Pivot Grab
How to Perform: Run in one direction then hit backwards and Grab at the same time.
Effect: Link will Run, then turn around, Grab and Slide a little bit Backwards at the same time.
Note: This is more of a flashy move to pull off. It looks cool if you do a Pivot Grab into a Back throw really quickly.

Retreating Pivot Grab
How to Perform: Hit Forwards, Instantly Hit Backwards then Hit Forwards and Grab at the same time. (All done quickly)
Effect: Link will slide Backwards while grabbing Forwards.
Note: This takes a lot of practise to be able to perform, so I wouldn't be using it in a real match unless you are confident that you can pull it off, because if you do it incorrectly you can easily miss the grab and be punished. It doesn't seem to be as useful for Link as it is for other characters, but it's still a pretty solid move.

Shield Cancelled Sliding Grab
How to Perform: Run, hit shield while running then Instantly hit A (or grab) while shielding.
Effect: Link will run, shield and slide a bit, then grab.
Note: This should be used every single time you want to do a normal Dash Grab because if you do a Shield Cancelled Sliding Grab, it means that you have less cool down lag if you miss. So from now on, no more Dash Grab. This can be used as an approach if you're expecting your opponent to try to hit you. You can either run, shield and hit A straight away to do a sliding grab or you can run, shield and slide then hit A when you want to grab. The whole point of this move though, is to make a missed grab less punishable then a normal missed Dash Grab.

Reverse Tether
How to Perform: Face away from the edge, hold down, when you come within what would normally be 'auto snap' range (where you would normally grab the edge i.e. the corner of the stage, but you won't atm because you're holding down), let go of down and Instantly hit Z (make sure down is completely off and that you are right up against the corner of the stage).
Effect: Link will turn around in mid air and tether back in the direction of the edge.
Note: You can do this as a way of edgehogging. Instead of running off the edge and doing a fast semi circle on the control stick to speed hug, you can run off the edge, do a very fast semi circle on the control stick and hit Z Instantly after. So it's basically a speed hug with a Tether thrown in at the end. This can be helpful if you want your tether to speed hug the edge for various situations. Just remember while performing this that you need to be quite close to the corner of the stage in order for it to work and you need to of taken it away from down before you Tether otherwise you'll Zair off stage and things could get messy. Just practise a bit before you try it in a real match.

Ledge Re-Grab
How to Perform: Grab onto a ledge, Hit Backwards then Instantly hit Z twice really quickly.
Effect: Link will regain his Invincibility frames really quickly. He will let go of the edge, Zair then snap to the ledge.
Note: One of Link's better ways to edgeguard, just make sure you don't use it any more than three times without standing on solid ground. If you try to Tether the edge a fourth time, the tether won't grab the edge.

Tether Save
How to Perform: Get hit by your opponent with a horizontal attack, DI Down, Zair.
Effect: Link will get flung horizontally then Tether grab the ledge. The Tether grab will cancel all horizontal momentum and possibly even save you a stock.
Note: If you pull this off you're quite lucky. The DI down part just means that you are closer to the ledge when you Zair, meaning it makes it more likely that the Zair will grab the ledge.

Tether Cancel
How to Perform: Simply Zair near the ledge as if you where going to do a Tether recovery, then quickly hit Down.
Effect: Link will send out the chain to grab the ledge, but just before it grabs the ledge he will pull it back.
Note: This is a risky move to pull off because of Link's below average recovery, but it could be used to trick your opponent into thinking you're going to tether the edge. Other then that, it's pretty situational.

Demonic Zair
How to Perform: Grab the Ledge, Hit away from the ledge, Instantly DI back towards the ledge, Instantly Double Jump towards under the lip and Instantly use Zair.
Effect: Link will move away from the ledge, Jump right up against the lower lip part and use Zair, then return to the Stage using Zair without the Zair turning into a tether and grabbing the ledge.
Note: This is possible to do with Link, it's just really hard (don't worry if you mess it up, simply Up-B and you will be fine). If you find yourself Tethering instead of Zairing, you will either need to DI back towards stage sooner of Jump later. If you find yourself Zairing but you don't jump high enough to get back on stage, you will need to Jump sooner. This is a good surprise attack and a very safe way to return on stage because of the spacing and cancelled lag. It also obviously has more range then most of your attacks when returning, so if your opponent is expecting another move and takes an extra step back, the Demonic Zair will do the job nicely.
Stages: Battle Field, Delfino Plaza, Pirate Ship, Norfair, Halberd, Spear Pillar, Castle Siege, Distant Planet, Smashville, New Pork City, Hanenbow, Temple, Jungle Japes, Corneria and Brinstar.

Infinite Banana Lock
A quick note on footstooling. You can do SH and FH footstools which differ greatly in height so when I say SH footstool without a comma in-between them, I mean a small footstool.
How to Perform: (presumably against Diddy), grab a banana any way you can, stand right next to Diddy, SH, Instantly SH footstool, Instantly throw the banana down at him, Z-catch the banana and at the same time, fast fall backwards towards Diddy, SH footstool him again without touching the ground, instantly throw the banana down at him, airdodge catch the nana and DI towards Diddy, land near him and repeat with the SH, SH footstool, down throw. Rinse, repeat, then when Diddy is high enough in percents for your liking, dispose of him in any way you will, then taunt.
Effect: Link will lock diddy in an infinite as described above. Make sure you taunt if you pull this off otherwise it's not a true combo.
Note: The above is the way that it is normally done, but Link has this amazing property of being a very fast faller. So, it is possible that Link should be able to do this tech without the fast fall bits which would make this tech quite easy. I'll test this just to make sure and update this tech when I know (for all I know, this tech doesn't even work with Link, so if it doesn't I'll just delete it). The infinite banana lock is extremely hard to get the hang of and only really useful for one matchup (remember, it may be easier then I thought with Link). Still, if you've been having trouble with a Diddy and you have tones of spare time, then this is the tech for you. Probably the hardest part is getting that second footstool in mid air cause you have to fast fall it while Z-catching the nana. I spose it just takes practise.

Advanced Technique Videos!!!

Bombsliding: Everything You Need to Know
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdQY5SOqEE
Summary: This is a brilliant AT video which shows and explains in great detail how to perform all the Bombsliding techniques. In order of appearance, it shows, Bomb Slide Up Throw Fake Out, Bomb Slide Up Throw, Bomb Slide Forward Throw, Bomb Slide Reverse Fake Out and Bomb Slide Reversal.
Note: This vid also quickly shows the DACUS as an example. After showing all the techs, Sasook then shows them being used in a real match. Good stuff.
Credit: Sasook

DACUS (Boost Smash) Guide
Video: http://allisbrawl.com/video/video.aspx?id=14830
Summary: This video shows in great detail how to perform the DACUS.
Note: In the list, I said to use C-stick down then Up-A, but in the vid it says to use C-stick down then Up-Z. So which way should you use? It's up to you and which ever one you feel most comfortable with. Both will work.
Credit: TeMPeST-CT

SSBB Link Edgeguard Guide
Video: http://allisbrawl.com/video/video.aspx?id=16181
Summary: This video shows heaps of different edgeguarding techniques, some that aren't listed. In order of appearance, the techs that are in the vid that are also on the list are; Ledge Re-Grab, D-tilt Spike, Tether Save, Gale Guard and Phantom Boomerang.
Note: There are some things in the video that aren't on the list that are definitely well worth watching.

SSBB Link Edgeguard Guide Part 2
Video: http://allisbrawl.com/video/video.aspx?id=21708
Summary: This is the second edge guarding video by TeMPeST-CT. In order of appearance, the techs that are in the vid that are also on the list are; Pivot Walking, All the Bomb Slides, JC Throw, Ledge Re-Grab with a Bomb, SAF, SAFC, Glide Reversal and Boomerang Gliding.
Note: There are some things in the video that aren't on the list, so check it out. Also note that some of the techs have slightly different names.

Link's Ledge Hop Invincibomb
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU7jPjLhSqE
Summary: This video shows Link Performing the Ledgehop Invincibomb.
Note: You will notice that KirinBlaze performs this tech in both ways, the Forward throw and the Down throw. The Down throw is harder but generally better.
Credit: KirinBlaze

......35......?
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e291cu7khzE
Summary: If you ever watch anything concerning Link, make sure you watch this. This video is by far the most amazing thing you will ever see. It shows Link performing numerous set ups and finishers for his Jab Lock that will blow you away. If you play Link and you haven't seen this, you fail.
Note: If you think these are escapable or don't understand what's going on, then check out what I wrote about the Jab Lock in the Swordplay section.
Credit: Ryuto

In-Depth Analysis of the Ledge Hop F-air
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD-EBQhe3yo
Summary: This is a very detailed vid showing the Ledge Hop Fair.
Credit: FSK

Cool, well that's it for now. I hope you learnt something.

I'm gonna get some cake. You should too.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Link's Combos

Well here it is!

Link mainers! Welcome to the Combo section! I'm glad you were able to scroll down this far, in fact I congratulate you, because this is a very important and highly factual post. I highly recomend that you have a little browse of what I have compiled here. I'm sure you'll find something new.

Here's how it's going to work.

First up will be the relatively small section that is by no means the least important. In fact you may say it is the most important. It contains all of Link's known and proven True Combos. I intend to do lots of testing eventually to try and complete this section, but for now we'll have to make do with what we have. True Combos are quite rare in Brawl, so to have any true combos at all is quite a significant claim. These combos cannot be escaped. Plain and simple. Of course, this relies on you not stuffing up, but if you pull it off correctly, I can guarantee that the combo shall be completed.

The second section which will be quite large, will contain all the percent specific combos. These are your more average every day combos. The percent specific combos will only be unescapable within a certain percent range that will change for each character and will be affected by staling and could potentially be escapable earlier than the specified estimated percent range if the opponent has decent SDI, but for the most part, they are quite reliable and as long as you stay within the estimated range for it to work on, it should always work as they all register as consecutive hits in Training mode.

The third section will contain the mix up combos. I'm not entirely sure how popular this section will be simply because they technically aren't combos. They can be escaped at any percent and do not register as consecutive hits. These are merely here as little moves you pull off in games that shoudn't work but do. They will rely on predicting your opponent. For example, a mix up combo may be escapable if the opponent jumps, so you want to predict that the next time you do a certain move, the opponent will not jump but will airdodge.

Anyway, here it is!

True Combos

The Jab Lock

While there is no true combo way to set up a Jab lock, once the Jab Lock is activated (yes activated), there is no way out of it unless you screw it up.

For any information about the Jab Lock, refer to the second post in the Swordplay section where I go into the Jab lock with great detail.

The Dropkick

The Dropkick is simply the first hit Bair being cancelled on the ground right after it's hitbox comes out. The most generally accepted way to perform it is to SH, fast fall asap and hit Bair with the C-stick at the same time as you hit down to fast fall. This will ensure that the Bair is cancelled at the perfect time and it is also quite fast.

The Drop kick, because it has a decent amount of hitstun and it has set knockback, can true combo into a few moves which are a bit character specific.

Dropkick > Jab: It will work on every character except Bowser.

Dropkick > turn around U-tilt: It will work on Mario, Luigi, Peach, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, ZSS, Pit, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Meta Knight, Olimar, Fox, Falco, Pikachu, Squirtle, Jigglypuff, Marth, Ness, Lucas, Mr GaW and Sonic.

Dropkick > turn around D-smash: This will work on ZSS, Kirby, Meta Knight, Fox, Falco, Pikachu, Squirtle and Mr GaW.

And that's all there is that has been confirmed so far. Hopefully next time you check, we'll have more.

Percent Specific Combos

A quick explanation is in order. I tested all these on Mario in Training mode at varying percents and I added it if it registered as a consecutive hit in combination with DI, jumping, shielding and airdodging to try to escape. So for example, I tested .... > .... on Mario and found out at what percents it doesn't register as a consecutive hit and from that I found the rough estimate percent range that the combo will work at. I have put the CPU on control to input DI, Jumping, shielding and airdodging to get better results (the consecutive hits counter isn't always correct especially at higher percents, so in no way have I relied on it to get these results).

If you want to add to this section, then suggestions are preffered to be pre-tested and resgister as consecutive hits in training mode. I will then test them myself to find the range which will include things like DI, Jumping, Shielding and Airdodging from the opponent.

Just quickly, there will be little sub sections in here, for example, the first one is Jab. This just means that everything in that sub section will be a combo that has Jab as the first hit. It's fairly intuitive, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Jab

Jab > Second Jab > Third Jab: Will work between 60% and 180%. Damage total = 12%.
Just to use this one as an example of how accurate I'm trying to make this, below 60%, Mario can DI down and Shield the second hit, and above 180%, Mario can DI away from the first hit to avoid the second. If you want to know why I've set a percent range the way it is, then feel free to ask me, but I figured I wouldn't add how you can avoid all the combos beyond the given percentage as that would just be helping everybody else XD (like DI away, double jump/footstool, airdodging and so on). So just trust me, when I say it works between this and that percent, it just does and I've checked. The damage total is assuming that the moves used are fresh.

F-smash

F-smash > Second hit of F-smash: Will work between 0% and 20%. Damage total = 31%.

Hard hit of Nair

Hard hit of Nair > Jab: Will only work on 0%. Damage total = 14%.

Soft hit of Nair

Soft hit of Nair > Jab: Will only work on 20%. Damage total = 10%.

First hit of Fair

Fair > Jab: Will work between 20% and 30%. Damage total = 13%

Fair > Jab > Second Jab > Third Jab: Works between 20% and 30%. Damage total = 21%.

Zair

Zair > Jab: Will work between 0% and 50%. Damage total = 8%.

Zair > Jab > Second Jab > Third Jab: Will work between 0% and 20%. Damage total = 16%.

Zair > U-tilt: Will work between 0% and 40%. Damage total = 13%.

Zair > F-tilt: Will work between 0% and 60%. Damage total = 17%.

Zair > D-tilt: Will work between 0% and 30%. Damage total = 16%.

Zair > Dash attack: Will work between 0% and 110%. Damage total = 16%.

Zair > U-smash: Will work between 0% and 40%. Damage total = between 8% and 17%.

Zair > DACUS: Will work between 0% and 220%. Damage total = between 8% and 17%.

Zair > F-smash: Will work between 0% and 110%. Damage total = 19%.

Zair > F-smash > Second hit of F-smash: Will work between 0% and 5%. Damage total = 36%.

Zair > D-smash: Will work between 0% and 45%. Damage total = 18 - 20%.

Zair > Grab: Will work between 0% and 40%. Damage total = around 11%.

Zair > Nair: Will work between 20% and 110%. Damage total = 14%.

Zair > Fair: Will work between 85% and 110%. Damage total = 13%

Zair > Bair: Will work between 0% and 110%. Damage total = 15%

Zair > Standing Bomb Forward throw: Will work between 0% and 110%. Damage total = 12%

Zair > SH Bomb D-throw

Zair > FH Bomb D-throw

Standing Bomb Forward throw

Bomb > what?

JC Bomb Forward Throw

Bomb > what?

SH Bomb D-throw

Bomb > what?

FH Bomb D-throw

Bomb > what?

Grab D-throw?

Grab D-throw > ?

As you can see, I still have a lot to test and a lot to think of to test. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mix up Combos

I've run out of time. I'll start these later, but it seems that this might actually come in handy.

More to come.

If you want to help then you can suggest any kind of combo that I should test.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good thinking, FoxIOD!
Could start with discussing the hylian slide?
Basically a worthless Hylian shield tech here unless it's on ice. It could save (normal) shield pressure when blocking Aura spheres/charged shots etc. Shield dash>immediately release shield>Link slides the shield dash distance in his normal stance and the Hylian shield blocks range attacks like usual but with no lag or push-back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY1M7HIUMnQ

swordsaint

Smash Master
I was thinking that a lot of Link's don't cancel their bair enough on the first hit (cancel it on the ground that is) so they could follow up more.

It's known by everyone, but it's not here anyway.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Nice work Foxy, you work quick! :link:

Could you add these pictures corresponding to each section just to spruce it up a bit? :p

Bombs

Boomerang

Arrows

Sword

And to make it not a wall of text, perhaps you could add collapse boxes for each section.
Code:
[noparse][collapse]Insert info here[/collapse][/noparse]
[collapse=bombs]Bombs

Invincibomb (Ibomb)
Probably the most versatile AT that Link has.
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump, use airdodge then hit A Instantly after (Almost at the same time).
Effect: Link will do an air dodge and drop the bomb at the same time. This means that you can hit them with the bomb and avoid the blast and any other attacks at the same time.
Note: This can be used in almost any situation. Whether you’re attacking, defending, falling or rising, this is always a good option and should be used by all Links. Something to keep in mind; the airdoge of the Ibomb can be cancelled with Zair. This AT comes in handy whenever you know that an opponent is going to jump up and attack you in the air, an example is Metaknights's Shuttle Loop. For example, if he tries to gimp you off stage with Shuttle Loop, then the Ibomb will win every time. Doing a SH Instant Ibomb can be quite useful for things like doing a cross up (which is simply where you jump through them and land behind them so they have their back to you).

The Invincibomb Drop
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Jump, Airdodge and Instantly Hit A at the same time that you would normally C4. So this just means that you either jump through a platform and Ibomb at the right time or drop through a platform and Ibomb at the right time.
Effect: Link will drop a Bomb on the platform just behind him without it exploding.
Note: Very similar to the C4 only you drop the Bomb behind you and you have invincibility frames.

C4
There are two ways to do this, so there are two "How to Perform"s.
How to Perform 1: Stand underneath a go throughable platform (Like on Battlefield), Pull out a bomb, full hop then Z-drop just as your jumping through the platform.
Effect: Link will Jump up and land on the platform but as he is doing this, he will Z-drop a bomb safely on the platform.
Note: This is the main way that Link Z-drops Bombs on the ground. (Can also be done with an Invincibomb Drop).

How to Perform 2: Stand on top of a go throughable platform, Pull out a bomb, Hit down to pass through the platform (quickly return the Joystick back to neutral) and Z-drop the bomb as your going through.
Effect: Link will pass through the platform and he will leave behind a bomb sitting on the platform.
Note: This is harder then the first way to C4. You can use the two, one after the other, to leave two bombs on the platform above you. (Can also be done with the Invincibomb Drop).
Stages: Same as above.

Bomb Up-smash
How to Perform: First of all use a C4, Run towards the dropped Bomb then when your right over it use a Dash Attack Cancelled Up-smash (for more information on the DACUS, look in the Swordplay section).
Effect: Link will drop a Bomb on the ground, run at it then do an Up-smash while holding a Bomb.
Note: You can also charge the Up-smash. The Dash Attack part picks up the Bomb then you cancel into an Up-smash. Do I need to tell you what you can do next? Throw the Bomb Up at them and follow up.

Bomb Dash Attack Cancel
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Jump (SH or FH), Z-drop the Bomb just as you start going back down, as soon as you land hit left or right (depending on which way you want to go), Instantly Hit the C-stick down then Instantly use U-smash (just think DACUS).
Effect: Link will Z-drop the Bomb, then slide across the stage using Up-smash while holding a Bomb.
Note: This is basically the same as the Bomb Up-smash only it's a bit harder to perform and a lot easier to find the time to use in a real match. If you don't understand how this all works, it's simple. The Dash attack catches the Bomb that you Z-dropped and then you cancel the dash attack with an Up-smash.

Slope Bombing
How to Perform: Stand on a slope/slanted platform facing towards the higher end, Pull out a bomb, Jump, Instantly Z drop on the way up, or Jump then Z-drop the Bomb just before you land.
Effect: Link will drop a bomb on the slope without it exploding, the bomb will slowly slide down the hill and will be surrounded in a 'white aura'.
Note: When the bomb is sliding, if your opponent touches the bomb when it is in this state it will blow up and if the bomb touches your opponents shield in this state the bomb will jump up vertically. This can be used as a mine or to combo with.
Stages: This AT can be used on any Stage that has a slope. That said, I'll only list the Stages that this is easiest to perform on (steeper slopes).
Delfino Plaza, Mario Circuit, Pirate Ship, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Pokemon Stadium 2, Spear Pillar, Distant Planet, New Pork City, Summit, Green Hill Zone, Temple, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Corneria, Rainbow Ride, Brinstar and Pokemon Stadium.

The Bouncy Bomb
How to Perform: First of all you need to be on a stage that has the screen moving up and the stage moving down. Pull out a Bomb, Jump through a go through able platform and Z-drop the Bomb just as you go through the platform you're jumping through (think C4).
Effect: Link will Jump through the platform, drop a Bomb which will land on the platform and jump around on the spot with the same 'white aura' as Slope Bombing.
Note: When the Bomb is bouncing around on the spot, the Bomb is 'active'. This means that if an opponent touches it, it will explode on them and if it is shielded by your opponent, the Bomb will jump upwards. This can also be done with the Invincibomb drop instead of the Z-drop.
Stages: Unfortunately this will only work on two stages, Rumble Falls and Rainbow Ride. On Rumble Falls because the 'speed' of the stage is always changing, it can sometimes be hard to do the Bouncy Bomb. The easiest time to do it is when the stage is moving at a medium pace (like right at the start). On Rainbow Ride it can only be done on the left side of the 'circuit' when the screen is moving up and the stage is moving down.

Tree Bombing
How to Perform: Go on to Onett, Pull out a Bomb, Then C4 on one of the branches (Jump through the branch and Z-drop just over it).
Effect: The Bomb will start Bouncing up and down on the Branch because the branch will be shaking up and down hitting it.
Note: While the Bomb is in this state, it is 'active', just like Slope Bombing and the Bouncy Bomb. This means that if an opponent touches it, it will explode. This can also be done with the Invincibomb drop instead of the Z-drop.
Stages: Onett.

JC Throw
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, run in one direction, Jump then instantly hit the C-stick up, left or right (will also work with down, but you will get hurt, so what's the point).
Effect: Link will run then slide a tiny bit and throw the bomb.
Note: JC simply stands for Jump Cancel. Although this is easy to pull off, Link has many other, much better ways to slide and throw the Bomb. So this could be used to quickly and easily run away from your opponent and throw the bomb back at them while running which can't be done with a normal throw.

Bomb Slide Up Throw Fake Out
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick down then Instantly use Up-smash.
Effect: Link will Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Slide Forwards, Throw the Bomb Forwards during the slide then raise his arm as if he were throwing the Bomb upwards.
Note: This is the same controls as the DACUS (Dash Attack Cancelled Up-smash). There are a few variations of this Tech and all are useful. So you should learn how to do this before moving on.

Bomb Slide Up throw
How to Perform: Similar to the previous tech, Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down then Instantly Charge Up-smash.
Effect: Link will run in one direction, Slide Forwards and Throw the Bomb Upwards during the slide, then he will continue to slide a decent way.
Note: This is an excellent way to throw Bombs up at an opponent. This isn't that hard if you can do the Bomb Slide Up Throw Fake Out, the only difference is you have to be a little quicker and you need to charge the Up-smash.

Bomb Slide Forward Throw
How to Perform: Again, these are all quite similar, Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down, Instantly Hit Diagonally Forward Up-smash then Instantly move the joystick to Forwards.
Effect: Link will run in one direction, Slide Forwards and Throw the Bomb Forwards during the Slide.
Note: This is Link's way of Glide Tossing. This really should be learnt by all Link mainers because by doing this it allows you to instantly follow up after the Bomb Throw (amongst other things).

Bomb Slide Reverse Fake Out
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down, Instantly Hit Diagonally Backwards Up-smash then Instantly move the Joystick to Backwards.
Effect: Link will Run in one direction, Slide Forwards, Throw the Bomb Forwards, do a Fake Throw Backwards then continue to slide Backwards a decent way.
Note: This one looks really trippy, it's also pretty hard. Another good way to Slide and Throw the Bomb.

Bomb Slide Reversal
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down, Instantly Charge Diagonally Backwards Up-smash.
Effect: Link will run in one direction, Slide Forwards, Throw the Bomb Backwards then continue to slide Backwards.
Note: This is Link's other way to 'Glide Toss'. This also should be learnt by all Link mainers. This is possibly the most useful of all the Bomb Sliding techs and also the hardest. This should not be attempted before you can do all the others.

Ledgehop Invincibomb
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Jump off the edge and hang on to the ledge, Hit Down to let go of the ledge as soon as you can (You can't let go straight away, you need to wait like half a second), Instantly Double Jump with slight DI towards stage and Throw the Bomb Down at the edge.
Effect: Link will throw the Bomb down at the edge of the stage but he won't be hurt because he will still have the invincibility frames from grabbing the ledge.
Note: This can also be done by throwing the bomb Forwards. The only difference is you need to Double Jump slightly later so you don't throw the Bomb over the edge. If you DI towards stage far enough when you Double Jump, you can actually land back on stage in the explosion. This can be incredibly useful because it allows you to follow up. You obviously don't need to pull out your Bomb on stage, just as long as you're holding a Bomb when you grab the ledge.
Stages: All except, Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Rumble Falls, Summit, 75m, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow and Shadow Moses Island.

Ledgehop Bombing
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, hang on to the ledge, jump up (ledge jump) and hit Z just as Link is about to Jump (You hit jump then a second later Link jumps).
Effect: Link will jump up off the ledge and leave a bomb behind him sitting near the edge on the ground (sort of like C4).
Note: This is an unexpected way of Z-dropping a bomb on the ground. Some opponents might accidently pick up the bomb without noticing. Because Link has very few ways to Z-drop the Bomb on the ground, AT's like this should be learnt.

Ledge Grab Bombing
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump off the edge and Z-drop the bomb just before you grab the ledge.
Effect: Link will jump off the edge, Z-drop a Bomb down the side of the stage then automatically turn around and grab the ledge.
Note: This is best used against characters that recover more vertically as they try to sweet spot the ledge. You will grab the ledge, the bomb will hit them, you won't get hit because of the invincibility frames and you can easily follow up.

Chaining
How to Perform: Catch a bomb in midair with Bair, Dair or Uair then instantly use any other aerial.
Effect: Bair, Dair and Uair are special in that if you catch a bomb with them and try to do another aerial, Link won't throw the bomb. This means that you can chain aerials together while holding a bomb without throwing the bomb.
Note: You can do as many Bair's, Dair's and Uair's as you like then finish with any aerial, but if you try to do another aerial after Nair or Fair, Link will throw the bomb, breaking the chain. Something to keep in mind; If you catch the Bomb with Bair, Dair or Uair and you want to instantly throw the Bomb at your opponent, then there is a way that you can break the chain. After catching the Bomb with Bair Dair or Uair, simply throw the Bomb with the Instant Bomb Throw which you can find a little further down the list. This allows you to break the chain and throw the Bomb instead of using another aerial.

ZAC
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump, Z-drop the bomb at the peak of your jump, then instantly catch it with an aerial (Bair, Fair, Nair, Uair or Dair).
Effect: Link will Jump, Z-drop the bomb then instantly catch it with an aerial.
Note: This allows you to use aerials while holding a bomb. This is good because it means you can follow up with a bomb throw.

IZAC
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump, Instantly Z-drop the bomb, Instantly let go of Z (so you really want to just flick or tap Z as quickly as possible) then Instantly catch the Bomb while rising with an aerial.
Effect: Similar to the ZAC, the only difference being that the IZAC comes out faster and is much more useful.
Note: This is super hard to pull off. But if you do manage to pull it off it means that you can do things like use both hits of Fair in the one SH while holding a Bomb or you can Chain together two Bairs in the one Full hop while holding a Bomb then you can easily follow up with a bomb throw.

Instant Bomb Throw
How to Perform: Catch a Bomb by Hitting Airdodge, A and a direction (Up, Down, Left or Right) at the same time.
Effect: Link will Instantly catch and throw the Bomb without the catching animation. So it's an Instant Bomb Throw.
Note: What's really happening is your catching the Bomb with an airdodge then you're instantly cancelling the airdodge with the throw. This move can also be done by catching a Bomb with Airdodge and C-stick; it all depends on what you prefer. You can do this move to a Bomb that you threw up in the air, or to a Bomb that has been C4'd on a platform above you by jumping then doing it, you can even do it to a Bomb that has been shielded or thrown at you, just as long as you catch it with Airdodge+A+Direction or Airdodge+C-stick. It doesn't even have to be a Bomb, you can do this to a bannana or nade or anything. I see big potential in finding new AT's with this move, just like this one.......
Stages: All.

SHDB (Short Hop Double Bomb)
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Tilt Throw it Up, Pull out a Bomb, SH, Throw the Bomb, catch the second Bomb with an Instant Bomb Throw Forwards.
Effect: Link will Throw a Bomb up, Pull out another then in the one SH he will throw two Bombs quickly.
Note: This all has to be done really quickly except for the SH Bomb throw because if you do that too quickly you will cancel the SH and just throw the Bomb. This can also be done using a platform, just C4 the Bomb on the Platform (like one of the side platforms on Battlefield) go under the platform and Pull out a Bomb, then SH, Throw Bomb, Catch the second Bomb with an Instant Bomb Throw. It is a great move to pull off if you have the time, assuming you already have a Bomb in hand, you still have to tilt throw it up, Bomb Pull and SH before you throw any Bombs. But once you're in the air this is a dominating move because you can throw two Bombs at almost the same time in the one SH. Now I can see real potential in this because you can also vary the strength of your throws, so you can have two Bombs coming at them at the same speed and distance or at varying speeds and distances. So you could have a strong throw then a weak throw or visa versa. We could even have new techs coming from this. I mean imagine what we could do even if they shielded them both and they both bounce up off the shield. Something to keep in mind; if you Full hop the SHDB, it can be Quickdrawed.

The Invincicatch
How to Perform: Simply catch a Bomb with the Invincibomb (Airdodge then Instantly Hit A. Just remember to keep the joystick neutral.)
Effect: Link will catch the Bomb, airdodge and the Bomb will slowly fall down like a Z-drop. The Effect all depends on what the Bomb was doing before you caught it, but pretty much, the Bomb will instantly slowly fall as if it had been Z-dropped. So a quick example, someone throws a Bomb up at you, you catch it with the Invincicatch, it instantly starts slowly falling or if you catch a bomb that is falling down, it will instantly loose it's momentum and slowly fall.
Note: This can be used to make the Bomb fall through platforms. Simply stand underneath a platform, Jump and catch the Bomb with the Invincicatch when you're just starting to jump through the Platform or you can just catch it at the peak of your SH. To make the Bomb go through the platform, you can either C4 it on top of the platform then Invincicatch it, or throw it up through the platform then Invincicatch it when it's on it's way back down just before it explodes on the platform. The Invincicatch can also be used to Invincidrop the Bomb on platforms. You are not limited to your own Bomb either. You can Invincicatch other things as well like Rob's Gyro and Diddy's Bananas.

Running Bomb Pick Up
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Z-drop it on the ground in any way you wish (C4 will do), Run towards it, Then just as your right on top of it, Put the Joystick in neutral then Hit A.
Effect: Link will Dash towards the Bomb on the ground, then instead of using his Dash Attack to pick the Bomb up, he will reach down, pick it up and slide a little.
Note: This cannot be done out of the initial Dash animation, Link has to be actually Running. It is essential that the Joystick is in neutral before you Hit A, otherwise Link will just pick the Bomb up with his Dash Attack. Something to remember; This can also be done on other items as well, including Diddy's banana's. It works even when they are in his control.

The Bomb Spike!!!
This is Link's way of saying, "You just got owned".
How to Perform: Simply make a bomb explode on the ground near the edge when an opponent is under the ledge, not hanging on.
Effect: The blast of the bomb will go through the stage and hit your opponent, this will send them up but they will hit the stage and get snapped downwards in a fiery display of ownage. This will doubtlessly result in you wetting yourself (it's worth it).
Note: Your opponent may give up at this point.
Stages: Battle Field, Final Destination, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Spear Pillar, Castle Siege, Smashville, New Pork City, Sky World, Temple, Jungle Japes, Corneria, Rainbow Ride, Big Blue and Pokemon Stadium.

F-smash while holding a Bomb
How to perform: Pull out a bomb or pick up/catch a bomb then hold A, Hit the C-stick left or right.
Effect: Link will perform his F-smash without throwing the bomb.
Note: If you continue to hold A, Link will charge his F-smash. To use the F-smash quickly simply let go of A as soon as you hit the C-stick, then hit A again if you wish. You can also hold A after Rolling, side stepping or any B move. In fact it works for pretty much anything that you can do while holding a Bomb without throwing it (including Pivoting), then you hold A while Link is still in the animation of the move and Hit C-stick left or right.

Zair while holding a Bomb
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, jump, airdodge, Zair.
Effect: Link will use his Zair without throwing the bomb.
Note: You can also Tether recover with a Bomb using the same technique. This technique is used in the VG Combo. To do the VG combo, simply SH, airdodge, Zair (cancelled on the ground), Bomb throw, Up-smash.

Ledge Re-Grab with a Bomb
(Look in the General Section at the bottom if you want to know more about the Ledge Re-Grab.)
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, Grab on to the ledge, Hit Backwards (away from the ledge), Quickly Airdodge and Hit Z twice.
Effect: Link will move away from the ledge, then quickly Zair with a Bomb and snap to the ledge. This will quickly regain your Invincibility Frames while still holding a Bomb.
Note: This is another good way to edgeguard. If you can do it fast enough, it is more useful then the normal Ledge Re-Grab because this way means you have a bomb in hand. Something to keep in mind, because you regain your invincibility frames this means that if the Bomb explodes you won't get hurt.
Stages: All except Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Rumble Falls, Summit, 75m, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2 and Shadow Moses Island.[/collapse]

Anyways, I'm going to help out alot and post up lots of ideas of mine and help record all the AT's etc.

If we can get a video for all the AT's there listed that would be amazing.

If you would like to help, just save a replay of you doing the AT and send the replay to me and I'll upload it.

I may give this a sticky when it gets rolling. :)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@Anonano: I really appreciate the offer to be saved from Ganon, but Scabe beat you to it. He saved me from Ganon (EA XD (it's an inside joke)) years ago. This is just my way of saying thanks.
I think we could definitely have a discussion about the Hyrulian Shield in general and the Hylian Slide is one good way of using it. I'll post a quick something up the top.

@MES: Or should I call you Risen now? As I said to Anonano, I'll get some discussion going about the Hyrulian Shield. No probs man. Thanks for the post and the link.

@Scoot: Wow, you're on the link boards. Good to hear from you man. That is definitely an interesting thought. Does it true combo into anything? I'm not sure. Which is exactly the point. I'll find out once and for all unless anyone else knows already. I might wait until a Link main responds about it before I quote the idea up the top just in case it's general Link knowledge that I didn't know about (Scabe? Where you at?). This is good stuff so far.

@Scabe: This is what I do man. Those are some sweet pictures, I'll add them for sure. But wait, no general section or AT Video section pictures? Any ideas what we can use for them? That code is a good idea. It should tidy things up. I'll get that happening. I can't wait until you just start flooding this thread with all those ideas like the one we were talking about (what was it, like bomb throw, the bomb hits their shield, you full hop Instant Throw the Bomb down at them, Footstool to Dair or something like that). The attempt has been made to get a vid of every AT before, and I'll tell you that it's no easy task. It really would be amazing if we could get it done though. Maybe I'll help out by doing any of the hard ones (Like The Jerk, it's amazing XD, can you do it consistently yet? I told you I'd be asking about it.) I'll see what I can do to speed things up then.

@IYM: Just call me Fox or Foxy. Fox Is Openly Deceptive is a bit of a mouthful so people don't usually bother.
Link's Bomb sliding is legit, keep working at it. And no worries.

I'm gonna try to update it all in one go. If it doesn't all get done, it will get done next time.
Keep the ideas for discussion coming!

quirkynature

Smash Ace

B-air cancel? That's definitely new.

Fox, you're a godsend. All these ATs all in one place. Thanks. A million. No joke. This is awesome.

Rizen

Smash Legend

The landing lag makes it hard to not be grabbed. Sometimes when we're both in the air I'll Bair>Fast fall when the first hit connects>land and Utilt. Utilt/Usmash have farther reach behind Link so Bair (first kick) canceling>Utilt/USmash from a lower position is a good low platform poker.
@IYM: Just call me Fox or Foxy.
Foxy? What, am I Falco from Starfox Assault? Lol. I go by Rizen.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
All done updating.
It sounds like the first hit of Bair could generate some discussion. I'll quote it and we'll see what happens.

@quirkynature: No worries man. It's good to hear that people are getting something out of it.

@Rizen: Thanks again for your contributions. I've got a feeling you're gonna come in handy XD.
Foxy is just what the Aus smash scene call me. You can call me whatever you want.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ha, I just glanced at this for like five minutes and already learned something. The revers Bomb toss DACUS or whatever. I never figured out how to actually do it and thought it'd be really useful.

I like cancelling out the bair first hit into utilt usually, but I bet it could combo into other things.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bair's first kick>Dsmash first cut is a legit combo, I hear. It's almost impossible to space and time because you must land behind the opponent.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
When I do utilt, I spin around before using the utilt. If you hold forward while sliding the control stick up, you can attack as if facing the other way. I wonder if you can do that with dsmash too?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Well, I was using a wiichuck controller yesterday when playing friends and due to the chuck's crappy controller I was pulling off stuff like autocanceled fair into reverse fsmash and dsmash.
Too bad the reverse fsmashes and dsmashes were always the WRONG DIRECTION.
/punished

But yes, you can reverse the dsmash although it will take a few more frames to change direction. Dsmash is still Link's fastest killer, so it'll probably be two or three frames shorter than a reversed utilt, which is shorter than a non-reversed utilt.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I don't know why I never use the first hit of back air. It seems pretty good. It's got set knockback so that things are pretty guaranteed. Even if they aren't true combos.

There's like First hit of Back Air into Back air. I usually do First hit of back air into Uptilt. But I like the idea of Doing a reverse dsmash. Maybe even just doing a Dsmash could be a mind game. I'll test these things out and see what I get.

Anyone know a full list of what Hylian shield blocks?
All projectiles?

Also I wonder if we get any frame disadvantages when the shield blocks projectiles with Hylian shield.

I think it be goot to aim to use our Hylian shield to block all projectiles.

It be cool if we found something really useful with his shield or if we started using his shield more to block projectiles instead of our normal shield. It could somehow frustrate the opponent lol.

When your sliding on Ice and your about to crouch do you still get that slide?

Edit: I just pulled of first hit of Back into fsmash on Zelda. O_O

Rizen

Smash Legend

Anyone know a full list of what Hylian shield blocks?
All projectiles?

Also I wonder if we get any frame disadvantages when the shield blocks projectiles with Hylian shield.

I think it be goot to aim to use our Hylian shield to block all projectiles.

It be cool if we found something really useful with his shield or if we started using his shield more to block projectiles instead of our normal shield. It could somehow frustrate the opponent lol.

When your sliding on Ice and your about to crouch do you still get that slide?

I did a lot of testing in the past.
"Hshield is in effect when Link is already standing or crouching, not transitioning to those states. Link occasionally lets down his guard when standing still and puts his Hshield away when holding an item but keeps a constant guard if he’s crouching. If any part of a range attack hits the actual shield Link will be pushed back and remain unharmed (Fox’s lasers will push him). Link himself can still be hit. Explosions, including Snake’s missile, penetrate it but Link’s safe from moves that continue through like Razor Leaf and Robo Beam.

The only time I’d intentionally Hshield is if the opponent was far and using a big range attack; the constant guard doesn’t deplete Link’s normal shield and it’s easier than power shielding. Big controlled blasts like PK Flash/Freeze and Din’s Fire will be blocked if any part touches the Hshield. Charged Aura Balls and Beam Shot’s are easy to Hshield from a distance." (Written before I discovered the slide)
HShield stops every range attack, explosions and Pikmin aren't considered range attacks. There is slight stun and pushback but not while Link's sliding. Crouching on ice makes Link slide but stops him on normal terrain. Tapping 'shield' automatically makes Link stand from running with no direction input. He slides the distance of shield dashing while the Hylian shield blocks range so you save a few frames of shield drop lag and shield pressure.
It's not great but any lag reduction/shield alternative helps.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@Rizen: Nice post! I'll get that quoted in a sec.

Ok! Link Mainers, I have something fantastic to say. But it will mean a long post. I'll try keep it short, as I intend to quote it. But trust me, you want to read this.

So I wanted to do some tests on the first hit of Bair cancelled on the ground just to see if I could get any "consecutive hits" in Training mode and to get some general info. The consecutive hits are usually a pretty reliable way of getting true combos.
I tested it on Mario and I was able to true combo the first hit of Bair into a turn around Jab. With practise I was also able to barely pull of a true combo with turn around U-tilt as well. (To get the true combos, you need to focus on using Bair at the last possible moment and of course turning around and Jabbing instantly.)
As Scabe said, the first hit of Bair has set knockback, so anything that I say true combos will true combo at any percent.
I tried a few other moves that didn't work like D-smash, Up-B and U-smash, and while I'm uncertain atm (I'll need to test it properly with another player and not just my spare fingers), I'm pretty sure that it can combo into turn around Grab. The only thing Mario could do was double jump just before he touched the ground, but we might still be able to grab him out of the air. We don't have to worry much about people landing then shielding/sidestepping because for some reason they can't shield straight away when they land (hitstun? in brawl?). This discovery made me think that even though with some moves it says it's not a consecutive hit, it might still be inescapable (again, I'll need to test with another person).
I then tried some things on a few other characters and I soon found that different characters were having different results even though it has set knockback. For example, some characters can't even jump before they touch the ground so with them we may have a guaranteed Grab.

I decided to test all characters to see which ones could double jump before they land and which ones I could get a consecutive hit with a turn around Jab. I found something, character specific, yet mind blowing, which I'll tell you in a sec.

Instead of writing all the characters, I'll give you the highlights.

I was able to get a consecutive hit with a Turn around Jab on every character except Bowser. I tested this strange phenomenon for a while and for some reason, Bowser is immune. Some characters were slightly easier or harder to get the consecutive hit with.

Almost every character was able to double jump out before they touched the ground except Bowser, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Ganon, Meta Knight, Fox, Falco, Wolf and Captain Falcon. Some characters were able to double jump sooner then others. With the characters listed that can't double jump, theoreticaly, we should be able to get a guaranteed turn around grab.

And here it is! The big one. As I was going through the characters, I got to Meta Knight. Oh yes. As I have said, we should be able to get a free grab on him, but that isn't what I'm most pleased about. I did the quick test to see if I could get consecutive hits by doing the usual SH, Bair (cancelled on the ground) turn around Jab, and it worked first time. A little too easily.... You see, I'd accidently stuffed the timing up and I had used Bair slightly too early. The Jab should not have been a true combo. For some reason unknown to me, out of curiosity perhaps, I tried to combo the Bair into a turn around D-smash and IT FRIKEN WORKED! I got that consecutive hit I was looking for but not expecting to see. For some reason, the first hit of Bair absolutely owns Meta Knight. He is the only character that I've been able to get a consecutive hit with D-smash (I haven't tested it on all characters yet, but still).
This means that on any percent, as long as you don't screw it up, LINK HAS A GUARANTEED D-SMASH ON META KNIGHT.

I'm off to do some updating. Have fun with that.

Arcade

Smash Ace
So first hit bair > dsmash on MK is guaranteed? That's too cool. That's one more one more tool we can use to tip the scales ever so slightly. Did you try it on other probable candidates?

Just a suggestion, did you try dash attack? Unless I'm dumb and misremembering its speed it might work.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Fox: Good data. That is interesting...
Bair first kick data:

--BAir landing animation can happen immediately.
Frame 5: Hitbox out: 4 damage, 4 frame duration.
Frame 17: Hitbox out: 7 damage, 6 frame duration.
Frame 28: Autocancel.
Frame 30: IASA
--BAir landing lag has a frame 10 IASA

Frame 5-9 first hitbox out- faster than jabbing. The reach is almost equal to Fair and covers Link's body. The problem is normal jumping and landing lag prevents consecutive chains:ohwell:.
I wonder if we could Bair on the opponent and use the hitbubble on Link's body to chain with another body hitbubble without turning?:
UTilt:

Frame 7: Hitbox out: 9 damage.
--Angle: Blade: 95. Hilt, Arm, Torso: 85.
Frame 12: end of hitbox.
Frame 35: IASA

Jab 1:

Frame 6: Hitbox out: 4 damage, 2 frame duration.

DSmash:

3 frames until charging. Upon release:
Frame 3: Hitbox out: 3 frame duration. Angle = 75.
--Damage: Blade = 14. Hilt = 16. Arm = 17. Torso = 16.
Frame 15: Hitbox out: 3 frame duration. Angle = 75.
--Damage: Blade = Hilt = Torso = 16. Arm = 17.
Frame 50: End of animation.

GRABS

Standing Grab:
Frame 11: Catch collisions out: 8 frame duration.
Frame 85: End of animation.
FSmash 1:

8 frames until charging. Upon release:
Frame 5: Hitbox out: 3 frame duration.
--Damage: Blade = Hilt = 15. Arm = Torso = 14.
Frame 10: You can begin FSmash 2.
Frame 39: IASA

xX Crow Xx recorded the frame data and pics. Thanks a million!

Fsmash with 'C' instantly turns Link that direction. Grab and Fsmash are the slower options.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I KNEW it. But now that I know who it works on, it makes me even happier. :)

I wonder if this applies to all Link's set knockback moves, like boomerang. If it does, then we might be onto something character roster wide.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So I've been messing around with this First hit of Back air. Buffering the turnaround Dsmash is hard and I get pretty inconsistent with getting that true combo on the consecutive hits counter (which can be pretty innacurate). But I think this is cool though. It seems like on MK you can do a buffered turnaround Uptilt which is also true combo.

Seems like on heavy characters you can't link into Uptilt/Dsmash, but usually you can link into Jab.

I tested with a bomb, doing a fast falled backair into bomb down throw where it blows both characters. That seemed to be a true combo lol :p

Anyways I'll get a picture of the hitbox on Link's first hit of Back Air.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Bombthrow into FF bair and turnaround grab/jab should be a true combo at low percents, then.

Well, more reason to learn how to set up bombstools. The dthrow bomb is a useful combo setup at low percents you can't footstool and high percents you can footstool now.

Oh, how we love thee bombs. Thou art our salvation.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So first hit bair > dsmash on MK is guaranteed? That's too cool. That's one more one more tool we can use to tip the scales ever so slightly. Did you try it on other probable candidates?

Just a suggestion, did you try dash attack? Unless I'm dumb and misremembering its speed it might work.
Yep, absolutely guaranteed. I did actually try it on a few others after I made it work on MK, because as I said before, some were easier to turn around jab then others, but the ones that I tried, I couldn't get it to work. I'll probably go through the characters again and test to see if I can get a turn around U-tilt on them. I was able to barely do it on Mario, so we should be able to see once I've tested it which characters are easier and harder to combo this out of. Everyone except Bowser I could turn around Jab combo, but I know that there were differences. Some took me quite a while to get it to work, others I got it first try.
Dash Attack should work, you'd probably have to do the Instant Dash attack, and even then, I think I'd prefer to get a Grab or U-tilt if possible.

I wonder if we could Bair on the opponent and use the hitbubble on Link's body to chain with another body hitbubble without turning?
Of course you can. I was able to do this quite easily when I was testing but I didn't think it would be very impessive to report seeing as you are completely giving away your spacing. But sure, an easier way to pull off a Bair to something combo is to land in them and Bair then you don't have to turn around or anything, you just hit them. It would save a few frames as well, so if you can only just not pull something off by turning around, you might barely make it work this way. For the record, I tried to get a Jab on Bowser this way and it still didn't work. He's immune.

I KNEW it. But now that I know who it works on, it makes me even happier. :)

I wonder if this applies to all Link's set knockback moves, like boomerang. If it does, then we might be onto something character roster wide.
The set knockback has nothing to do with the combos working. Having set knockback just means that whatever works will work at any percent.

So I've been messing around with this First hit of Back air. Buffering the turnaround Dsmash is hard and I get pretty inconsistent with getting that true combo on the consecutive hits counter (which can be pretty innacurate). But I think this is cool though. It seems like on MK you can do a buffered turnaround Uptilt which is also true combo.

Seems like on heavy characters you can't link into Uptilt/Dsmash, but usually you can link into Jab.

I tested with a bomb, doing a fast falled backair into bomb down throw where it blows both characters. That seemed to be a true combo lol :p

Anyways I'll get a picture of the hitbox on Link's first hit of Back Air.
The consecutive hit counter, if anything, is being inacurate in the completely opposite way. I honestly think that in this case, things might true combo and be unescapable even if it doesn't register as a consecutive hit. So when I say that it does register as a consecutive hit, you can know that it is definitely going to work no problems. On a seperate note, it doesn't register Grab as a "hit" so I can't tell for sure whether or not Grabs are inescapable until I test it with someone else. I am quite sure though that it should be unescapable on some characters, specifically the ones that can't double jump and possibly some others that double jump late.
Turn around U-tilt is faster than turn around D-smash. I was able to get a consecutive hit with a turn around U-tilt on Mario but there was no way that I was going to get a consecutive hit with D-smash. So I'm not surprised that you were able to get am U-tilt on MK. But I reckon that D-smash is easier to perform than U-tilt even though you have less time to do it in. D-smash is definitely the option to go for here.

So, things that still need testing. Turn around U-tilt on all characters (although you can probably skip Bowser). Turn around D-smash on all characters (is MK the only one that gets screwed?). At some point with another player, turn around Grab on all characters. That should pretty much do it, but you never know, try testing a few other options and see what comes up. I am seriously thinking of making this Bair info into a new tech. So should it go in the swordplay section? His feet aren't exactly swords XD.

Oh and I just thought of something that would make things much easier. If possible, we need to find a way to get the timing of the Bair consistenly. You know what I mean? So even if it means jumping, doing something straight away then doing a Bair straight after that automatically gets timed perfectly to come out just as you land. Something along those lines so that we don't have to try to time the Bair perfectly. Then, we want the easiest possible way to perform the turn around moves. Should we buffer the turn around? Hold it? Flick it? Lightly tilt it? I tried a few variations while I was testing and some were easier but some were faster, so this is still a bit of a grey area. Basically, what should be the agreed way to perform this to make it consistent?

You know what I love about this though, it's like we have a Zair on both sides of us now that we can combo out of.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I found one way timing that back air. I would do a short hop rising Back air and then use up my second jump and fast falled so that it hits with the first hit of back air.

You can also Full hop Nair, then fast fall back air. (I think?)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
And there we have it!
Good work.

I would want to check though whether the two extra frames of landing lag stuff up the combos, so we need that quickly checked.

(Once I know for sure that you can do the fast fall Bair and still have the consecutive hits with things like turn around D-smash on MK, then I'll quote that post ^)

Edit: It wouldn't hurt to have a few more ideas though before we say problem solved. I'm sure there must be other good ways to do this. Any other ideas?

Edit 2: I beat you guys to it XD. I found the ultimate way to perform this. It's very simple and it will perform the Bair perfectly, every time (if you don't screw up). You simply SH, Fast fall asap and at the exact same time that you hit down on the joystick to fast fall, hit Back on the c-stick. If you fast fall as early as you can and you perform the Bair at the exact same time (quite easy), then the Bair will always come out at the last possible moment. Which means that if the Bair comes out at all, it has set you up perfectly for any combos. Then it's just up to you to turn aorund and do what you want in the shortest time you can and you can guarantee that it'll true combo.

In regards to my former concern about the extra landing lag, it doesn't seem to affect the combo-ability at all. If anything, fast falling might actually save time because I was easily able to get the turn around U-tilt on Mario where previously I struggled a bit. This may just have to do with the Bair consistenly being timed perfectly, but either way, it appears to be easier to true combo now.

All you have to do is practise the timing for the fast falling.

@Scabe: The first way you mentioned does work, but you have to time the Bair in order to get it to come out at the last moment. The second way also works, but again, you need to time the Fast fall as soon as the Nair ends. In both examples, it is possible to use Bair too early. In my example, as long as you use Bair at the same time as you fast fall, it is impossible to use Bair too early because there is a restriction on how early you can fast fall. That's kind of what I was talking about when I suggested we find a way to time the Bair perfectly consistently. Anyway, there might be a few other ways to perform the Bair consistenly at the perfect time, so we'll see if we can figure some out.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Bair to Dsmash sounds interesting. Could this be the perfect way to set up a non charged double dsmash? Though to be honest i cant think of any way to go from a GB into a bair in one fluid motion while still being on the opposite side of the GB.

A possible idea is to throw the GB behind you, run at your opponent, jump, air dodge through them, bair, and finally a reverse Dsmash. Though admittedly the timing will be difficult to get use to if this is possible, as well as the possibility of many things going wrong. Such as opponent either attacking before or after your dodge, or moving away. It also just might be impossible to get enough time to do all of that before the GB returns. Though if they shield you can stop and the GB might push them safely behind you making them attack the wrong way. If they dodge the bair, there is still a chance the dsmash will hit.

I am way too lazy to attempt something like this but for those crazy people out there, give it a shot.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Of course you can. I was able to do this quite easily when I was testing but I didn't think it would be very impessive to report seeing as you are completely giving away your spacing.
I meant in the air from above or situations where you normally use Nair you could fast fall Bair and Utilt or something. Bair is best from the kick behind, but there's a lot of potential when Link needs an air attack that covers his body.

Another thing, maybe we could Bair platform poke from under then Utilt/Usmash.?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
NM i dont think its possible to go from Air dodge to Bair. lol Oh well.

Also did you put Bombstool in the OP? I didn't see it.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Did anyone read my edit 2? It goes into the best way to perform the Bair combos consistenly and I was hoping for some thoughts on it. (SH, Fast fall asap and hit Bair on the C-stick at the same time as you hit down on the joystick to fast fall = perfectly timed Bair every time.)

@Ryos4: Finding a perfect way to get the double D-smash sounds like something that we could discuss seperately if you wanted to. I don't think we need to worry too much about implementing the first hit of Bair into the double D-smash combo seeing as for all we know atm, the Bair to D-smash only works on one character and it's probably over complicating things. How about that for a possible idea for discussion though? The perfect way to get the double D-smash? (And yes I understand how it works, I just had to say that incase someone posted telling me how to do it. I'm more talking about setting it up.)

Bombstool?
Is that just a fancy name for a Bomb to footstool (and then you can Dair or fast fall Nair to Jab lock).

@Rizen: In the air, you can't cancel the second hit of Bair and so you can't combo out of it. The only way to cancel it (apart from getting hit by something) is to cancel it on the ground. So I presumed you were talking about cancelling it on the ground and hitting them infront of you with Bair with the hitbox in your body. As I said, I didn't think it was worth saying as it gives up your spacing. But sure, if you're going to land on them anyway, instead of using Nair as a body attack, you could use Bair. Less range, but in that circumstance, why not. Actually, Nair would be safer. Bit if it was going to hit them, then yes you could use Bair and then easilly combo out of it because you don't need to turn around.
It's the same thing with platform poking. The only way to combo out of the first hit of Bair is to cancel it immediately after, as in the hitbox comes out and you instantly land. If the hitbox is coming out when your jumping up and poking them from underneath while their on a platform, how will you cancel it immediately? Even if you fast falled immediately after, it wouldn't be quick enough.

Ok, so does anyone have anything else they'd want to discuss? The shield discussion has stopped for now so we can quite easily start a new discussion. For any ideas for ideas, check out the OP, I wrote some stuff up to help you think of topics. (A new topic would be so sweet right now.)
And seriously, the SH, fast fall asap Bair at the same time, I think this is pretty big as it doesn't allow you to screw up the timing. If you Bair them, then you did it perfectly. If not, then you won't Bair them. With timing and a tiny bit of practise, you can use it to consistently get perfectly timed Bairs. I think this could open this tech wide open for general use in competative play. Let's hear some thoughts on it.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Alright I've got a few new ideas. I'll just post up what I got.

When you soft throw Link's bomb you can run up and do a dash attack which is a true combo. Deals about 20 percent. I think it works at any percent.

We can talk about what to do when Link's bomb hit's a shield.

There's like boomerang return setups. Like when the boomerang returns if you Dtilt or sometimes Uptilt and other moves, it sets up for a jablock.

A new thing I found and it's pretty basic but I've never done it before/seen anyone do it. A good way to clear off opponent's when their up in your face and your shielding. You can short hop and throw the bomb down. It also combos into things.

Anyways I'll get working on videos.

I'm also wondering, what unanswered questions is there left to discuss on Bair and the Hylian shield?

Also I came up with some critieria for testing it's pretty unpolished atm:

• Test it on everyone
  • Test it in battle
That's all I can think of atm

Rizen

Smash Legend
So I presumed you were talking about cancelling it on the ground and hitting them infront of you with Bair with the hitbox in your body. As I said, I didn't think it was worth saying as it gives up your spacing. But sure, if you're going to land on them anyway, instead of using Nair as a body attack, you could use Bair.
To clarify, I didn't mean sacrifice spacing. I was thinking OoS SH>fast fall Bair>combo to punish air attacks on the shield. Or SH>down bomb throw>Bair>Utilt combo. Situations already using stun or violations of Link's spacing.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@Rizen: Yeah, two lines after that I said that "if it was going to hit them, then yes you could use Bair and then easilly combo out of it because you don't need to turn around." But I should have been a bit more specific and said, if you can guarantee it'll hit.... So situations where they're in stun or lag, definitely go for it. It's easier to perform the combos after the Bair if you don't have to turn around, but it doesn't seem to affect things much if you buffer the turn around.

@Scabe: Thanks for the ideas!
What does everyone else think of them?
I personally like the idea of talking about shield pressure in general, not just when the Bomb hits their shield, but expand on that idea to include any shield pressure ideas. Maybe we could even think of Link's version of Fox's Deluxe sunshine combo. (I didn't pick the name)
This is basically (from memory) where Fox SH's, Shines at a specific height on the way up, uses Nair which is instantly auto cancelled on the ground and then goes into some jabs or something like that. From memory, it was quite close to breaking shields.
Now imagine Link doing this. He has the same kinda Nair and he also has three projectiles. I propose, that if we put our heads together lightly to avoid pain, we could brainstorm an insane shield pressure combo and possibly in our wildest dreams invent a shield breaker combo.

I'm actually quite syched now!
This is exactly what this thread is meant for. Let's brainstorm.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
@ fox. Yeah that. I'm currently writing up a Combo/Attack string thread and im planning on using your thread as reference for AT's that may be in the combos. So i wouldn't have to discuss them myself and it wouldn/t waste space seeing as your doing just what i need anyway.

Alright I've got a few new ideas. I'll just post up what I got.

When you soft throw Link's bomb you can run up and do a dash attack which is a true combo. Deals about 20 percent. I think it works at any percent.

Bomb to dash attack seems fairly solid. Grabs wont be an issue as the bomb would prevent that if they shielded. Worst thing that could come out of it is either someone with a fast and mobile Fsmash like Wolf or maybe even Kirby before the bomb can bounce back and hit them. Course they may not even care if the bomb hits them after the initial shield and go for a quick high knock back attack.

However, if you do manage to land the combo at a low %. It can easily lead into a Utilt>Nair/Bair>GB combo. Also if they choose not to jump after the GB knock back, you can attempt a pivot land sliding ftilt for an additional hit.

Seems pretty sweet idea Scabe.

A new thing I found and it's pretty basic but I've never done it before/seen anyone do it. A good way to clear off opponent's when their up in your face and your shielding. You can short hop and throw the bomb down. It also combos into things.
People dont do that? I thought it was pretty common to d throw a bomb when in that position. I usually attempt Dthrow bombs when people are close to me with a bomb in hand. Or are you talking about something else?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok so it's not very inspired, but I've thought of a possible way to start the shield pressure combo and a few ways to finish it. Just keep in mind that it still needs some work.
So you SH towards them, throw a Bomb down so it blows up on the ground and the blast hits their shield, Nair, (fast fall?), and then this is the part where I'm lost. If you land and then use both hits of F-smash it'll break a full shield no worries, but who the hell is gonna shield all of that. Still, if your opponent wants to sit in their shield while you try to F-smash, then you have a broken shield. What your more likely to pull off is to land and then use your jabs. Unfortunatelly, the three jabs don't break the full shield. But what if you used 2 Jabs and then cancelled it into a D-smash? That bit is untested as I only just thought of it, but I figured I'd get some ideas out there.

The start, I like. The SH, throw bomb down to Nair is good and ends almost laglessly. If you throw the Bomb down too close to them, then the Bomb will bounce of their shield and you'll catch it with Nair. Possibe ideas? Maybe once you catch it, you can just rinse and repeat.

Another untested idea involves using two bombs and like throwing one up, pulling out another and Z-dropping it so they fall at about the same time, and then using a Dair or Nair to something. With the extra shield pressure of two bombs, things might happen.

Any thoughts on this or any other ideas?

And I just noticed, I still have no feedback about the SH, fast fall asap and Bair at the same time thing that I posted a little while back.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
But what if you used 2 Jabs and then cancelled it into a D-smash?

And I just noticed, I still have no feedback about the SH, fast fall asap and Bair at the same time thing that I posted a little while back.
Hold it. Shield pressure tactics are good (since Link doesn't have Ike or Ganon's brutal power) but if the opponent is going to sit behind his shield all day, why not after jab cancelled grab him? At low percents, D-throw to F-Smash/U-throw to B-air to Boomerang (arrow the opponent on wake-up) works fine. If I'm not wrong, both give roughly 25% damage. The D-throw combo won't work well once you reach low/med percents, and the U-throw combo works until med/high.

As for the SHFFBair, the only time I've pulled it off is when I got lucky. Combos well, though. I have it down in training mode (1/4 speed) though. :chuckle:

Edit: SH, D-bomb to N-air sounds doable. IDK about catching the bomb if it bounces off the shield. I usually fail the ZAC with N-air.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I just got a good idea from reading Foxy's post.

If we throw the bomb on their shield either from above or the side and we catch out bomb back we should instantly try bomb smashing.

So for brutal shield damage:

Throw bomb, catch with Fair, both hit's hit the shield. Bombsmash with Fsmash both hits. Then throw the bomb.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
That shouldnt be too dangerous as long as they dont have long range grabs or tether grab. If they have the range I'm sure they can grab before and during the Fsmash attempt.

Top Bottom