• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to Proper Etiquette on the Battlefield + A New Combo

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
CLICK HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGu2Rc8AjSk

I made a small instructional video! Hopefully both new and old players get at least one thing out of it, although nothing besides the concluding combo is new. I'd like to thank Xyless for the turnip percents, White Peach for the title, and... this other person I can't remember for the throw damage part.

Video Contents

Stitchy Hunting
This I think is the major thing about Peach. We have this amazing trump card, but no one seems to be abusing it at every possible moment. Pull turnips ALL the time people. After a KO you're guaranteed at least two pulls. Whenever a wall appears on Pokemon Stadium go to the other side and start plucking. Work Peach's probability and start getting free KOs people.

Fsmash Filtering
Another thing to do whenever you have a free moment. Filter out the frying pan from the fsmash lineup. It may have nice damage, but I can't count the number of times I've been punished from having my fsmash come up short. Remove it - the security from the club/racket combo is invaluable.

The Winky Face
Everyone ignores poor winky! On everage it does about twice as much as the regular turnips. Recycle it!

Prioritizing Throw Damage
It may just be 1%, but every little bit counts. Always start with bthrow, and alternate with fthrow till they're both stale.

Bomber the World
Peach Bomber, kinda like Toad, is a really good move - if it works. You can break the normal risk involved with its use by hitting anything with a hurtbox. This includes:

Wario's Bike
King Dedede's Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos
Olimar's Pikmin
Yoshi's Island Shy Guys
Smashville's Balloon
Brinstar's Tentacles and Barrels

The Meno Combo
From a tall enough height, usually only reachable with the full two jumps, you can combo a turnip throw into a fair.

Reverse turnip throw -> Fair -> Turnip hit -> Peach Bomber

You're never gonna hit anyone with it, and even if you do, they can tech, but it's really impressive when it's done. It even combos into a stitchface at higher percents!

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Meno, I loved your video! The music was so fitting.
I like this thread. I feel the same way about the winking faced Turnip and the whole searching for special items/stitchface.

Nice combo and hahaha @ that statement at the end of the video.

This encourages me to update my thread links thread.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I do all of these thingssss!

(Brinstar question though. I've heard people say GnW can restore his entire moveset by just UpB'ing the barrel things, is that for real? Can Peach do the same thing with DAir, or if not, is slapping the columns still the best thing?)

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with the Peach bomber stuff. It's a good idea to refresh moves but it should be punishable on reaction because the startup is nearly as bad as the missed endlag. I imagine just about every character would be able to punish by shield on reaction, causing you to go through them, you hit the bike/waddledee/whatever, and they nair/bair out of shield. Not saying it's useless, just that it probably isn't as good as you made it seem to be.

The rest is awesome though. I will definitely be more mindful of winkyfaces and I'll experiment with your combo too.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Yah I'm also interested in the whole resfreshing your moves thing you were mentioning.
How exactly does that work?
Does it refresh fair's?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I disagree with the Peach bomber stuff. It's a good idea to refresh moves but it should be punishable on reaction because the startup is nearly as bad as the missed endlag. I imagine just about every character would be able to punish by shield on reaction, causing you to go through them, you hit the bike/waddledee/whatever, and they nair/bair out of shield. Not saying it's useless, just that it probably isn't as good as you made it seem to be.
NO IT'S PERFECT :mad:

Yah I'm also interested in the whole resfreshing your moves thing you were mentioning.
How exactly does that work?
Does it refresh fair's?
Move decay works by placing your last nine moves on a queue. Say:

1. Turnip
  2. Dthrow
  3. Dthrow
  4. Dthrow
  5. Ftilt
  6. Utilt
  7. Bair
  8. Turnip
  9. Fair
To my understanding, all those moves, once used, are "stale". Moves used multiple times, like dthrow and turnip are staled via a multiplier (dthrow is staled x 3) - though I believe there is a cap to how stale a move can become.

Using another move once your queue is full bumps the last move off the list to make it "fresh". Say:

1. Peach Bomber
  2. Turnip
  3. Dthrow
  4. Dthrow
  5. Dthrow
  6. Ftilt
  7. Utilt
  8. Bair
  9. Turnip
-> Fair (NOW FRESH)
If you're constantly applying this, you'll always have a higher chance of having fresh kill moves - which Peach direly needs. Peach Bomber adds an item to the slot. So does, and probably more efficiently, jabbing Waddle Dees and stage objects, grab pummels, and turnip hits.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
So would you recommend that we up-toss or d-toss like I've seen Kyon doing recently. D-toss is quicker, but more than likely you'll accidentally toss away a stitch-face. What about the weak up-toss, is that quicker than regular up-toss?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Kyon dtosses in teams so his turnips don't interfere with his partner, but in singles, you're always gonna want to utoss. It makes a nice downpour of hitboxes that your opponent will have to deal with if they decide to approach, and it also gives you a second chance to catch rare items if you don't notice the first time.

The weak versus strong tosses is a good question though.

Xyless

Smash Master
A side thing, but Peach players should never play with special Turnip textures if they're trying to play seriously, since it messes with the ability to consciously look for stitches when it's time to.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I don't think turnips freshen up moves. Besides, it wouldn't really make sense for turnips to "stale" because the faces are a set damage.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
And they stale.

What about the weak up-toss, is that quicker than regular up-toss?
I don't know what you consider "fast" but if you throw two Turnips up (one being smash tossed up and the other a weak one) I believe the one that was weak tossed will fall to the ground first if you throw it upwards first and then follow up with a smash tossed one. If you smash toss one up first and then follow up with a weak upwards toss they fall to the ground roughly a second apart from each other.

Hope that didn't sound too confusing.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
And they stale together.

That's why stitchies suck in this game. If you've been spamming turnips the whole match and you get a stitchy, it's probably been staled x 5. :/

Metatitan

Smash Master
Even then the knockback in training mode with stitchies isn't that good regardless. They've just been nerfed overall.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I really hope they fix turnips in the next smash game. I mean diddy's bananas are like her turnips from melee only they don't do as much damage but they force a trip instead. I call blasphemy >:|

Mushyroom

Smash Rookie
Nice guide MenoUnderwater. I've always relied on the frying pan so I usually filter out the racket cuz it gives out lesser damage. I always thought the two had the same range xD. And I never noticed that winky faces could give more damage than regular.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm bumping this.

I worked a week on a PC for only two pages of responses??? :mad::mad::mad:

Metatitan

Smash Master
What do you want us to respond with? Everything is really straightforward, if anything just add in which minor things should have more priority over others (as in if you have to choose, do this instead).

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Let me elaborate.

By "responses" I mean "lavish praise".

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
When Peach stomps the opponent when she grabs them, does this also refresh moves?

That's why I hate Kirby so much (Not really) because his Dthrow cleans off all of his moves because it's about 10 or 11 hits.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
When Peach stomps the opponent when she grabs them, does this also refresh moves?

That's why I hate Kirby so much (Not really) because his Dthrow cleans off all of his moves because it's about 10 or 11 hits.
Yes, individual pummels do count toward refreshing moves. I believe you're wrong about Kirby though, only individual inputs count toward move restoration. Kirby might kick the opponent several times before the dthrow is done, but that's all one hit - similar to how our dair only counts as one.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Yes, individual pummels do count toward refreshing moves. I believe you're wrong about Kirby though, only individual inputs count toward move restoration. Kirby might kick the opponent several times before the dthrow is done, but that's all one hit - similar to how our dair only counts as one.
:f Are you sure?? I was told at a torney that that's what happens.. And I always see a difference when he smashes me at 100% with an un fresh forward smash, and then a Dthrow and THEN a forward smash.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Positive - all the dthrow hits count as one move.

Unless Kirby's dthrow is specifically different from the rest of the multi-hit moves in the game.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Cool vid.

I replayed it 4 times to listen to the song though xD
Gotta download it, it's amazing.

Top Bottom