• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

iRJi's Tournament Ruleset (Complete)

iRJi

Smash Champion
Tournament Ready Ruleset

BRAWL RULESET

• 3 stock
  • 8 minute time limit
  • Best 2 of 3. finals matches (losers/winners/grand) being best 3 of 5
  • Double Elimination
  • Items are OFF including smash ball

Doubles:

• Team attack ON
  • Life stealing is allowed

Stage List

Neutral Stages: Each player can alternately strike a stage until one stage is left. That stage is then played.

Neutrals

• Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Story (Brawl)
  • Smashville
  • Lylat

Counter Picks

• Delfino Plaza
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Castle Siege
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium 1

Banned stages and Counterpicking:

If a stage isn't on the Neutral or Counterpick list it is BANNED. (Although any teams/players may play on a banned stage as long as BOTH players/teams agree to it.)

Counterpick System:

Stage Banning:

Each player / team may select up to 1 stages that will be banned from the tournament set

Counterpick Rule:

The loser of the match first chooses the stage that the next match of the set will be played on. The opponent, then, makes the choice of changing character or not. than the loser of the match selects his/her character.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
  2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
  3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
  4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
  5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
  6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

Extra Rules

• B.Y.O.C. = BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER! The venue will not provide a controller for you nor will we.
  • We (the store, and T.O.'s in charge) are NOT responsible for anything stolen or any items left behind. If you bring a Wii for us to use, you better keep an eye on it. When you bring your controller, keep it at your side at all costs. We can not be your eyes and ears, you must be responsible for your own stuff.

• Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
  • 40 Ledge grab rule (80 for doubles per team). If you time out each other in a match and you go over 35 ledge grabs (80 for doubles) you lose that match.
  • Scrooging: If you fly under the stage, you must land on the stage in order to repeat flying under the stage again. The moving platform, or any other platform that is distant from the stage (IE: Smashvilles Moving platform) does not count as landing on the stage. First offense is a loss of stock, 2nd offense is a loss of match, 3rd offense is a loss of set.
  • All Infinites are banned excluding Ice climbers Chain Grabs, and all small step chain grabs are banned. Wall infinites are NOT banned.
  • Infinite/extended dimensional cape is banned.
  • All Excessive "Stall" tactics are banned.
  • Controller Mods are banned
  • If there is a dispute over controller ports, play Rock Paper Scissors for it ( if you guys cannot do this I will flip a coin)
  • Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock)
  • If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
  • If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD and falling off the stage and the game counts it as a tie, the player who initiated the swallow move wins. If the player who was swallowed is shown as winning the match (in the instance the broke out right before they died which some people might not notice), then they win.
  • No pausing in-game. Pausing in-game will result in the loss of a stock. The second warning will be loss of a match. The ONLY exception is, if a host(s) asks you to pause.

• In the event of a TIE at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins. If both players have one stock then it is decided by percentage. If both players have ONE STOCK and SAME PERCENTAGE the players will quit the SUDDEN DEATH, set the stock to one, and start a match with stage being the same as where they had the tie. This will determine the winner.
  • Each Round is best of three matches; Grand/Losers/Winners Finals are best of five matches*
  • Singles seeding will be based on Region/Rankings with some courtesy to crews – you will be spaced evenly as to prevent playing each other in the first round. One of the two criteria must be fulfilled in ordered to be favored. You MUST have 3 or more people in a group hailing from the same region, or you must be part of a crew. Teams seeding will also be seeded in the same way.

Violation of any rule is punishable by non-refunded disqualification and all violations will be delivered at the discretion of the TO.

[collapse=Base Ruleset (Only Foundation, not tournament ready)]BRAWL RULESET

• 3 stock
  • 8 minute time limit
  • Best 2 of 3. finals matches (losers/winners/grand) being best 3 of 5
  • Double Elimination
  • Items are OFF including smash ball

Doubles:

• Team attack ON
  • Life stealing is allowed

Stage List

Neutral Stages: Each player can alternately strike a stage until one stage is left. That stage is then played.

Neutrals

• Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Story (Brawl)
  • Smashville
  • Lylat
  • Castle Siege/Battleship Halberd
  • Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter Picks

• Delfino Plaza
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Castle Siege/Battleship Halberd
  • Brinstar/Rainbow Cruise
  • PictoChat

Banned stages and Counterpicking:

If a stage isn't on the Neutral or Counterpick list it is BANNED. (Although any teams/players may play on a banned stage as long as BOTH players/teams agree to it.)

Counterpick System:

Stage Banning:

Each player / team may select up to 1 stages that will be banned from the tournament set

Counterpick Rule:

The loser of the match first chooses the stage that the next match of the set will be played on. The opponent, then, makes the choice of changing character or not. than the loser of the match selects his/her character.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
  2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
  3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
  4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
  5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
  6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

Extra Rules

• B.Y.O.C. = BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER! The venue will not provide a controller for you nor will we.
  • We (the store, and T.O.'s in charge) are NOT responsible for anything stolen or any items left behind. If you bring a Wii for us to use, you better keep an eye on it. When you bring your controller, keep it at your side at all costs. We can not be your eyes and ears, you must be responsible for your own stuff.

• Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
  • 35 Ledge grab rule (80 for doubles per team). If you time out each other in a match and you go over 35 ledge grabs (80 for doubles) you lose that match.
  • Scrooging: If you fly under the stage, you must land on the stage in order to repeat flying under the stage again. The moving platform, or any other platform that is distant from the stage (IE: Smashvilles Moving platform) does not count as landing on the stage. First offense is a loss of stock, 2nd offense is a loss of match, 3rd offense is a loss of set.
  • All Infinites are banned excluding Ice climbers Chain Grabs, and all small step chain grabs are banned. Wall infinites are NOT banned.
  • Infinite/extended dimensional cape is banned.
  • All Excessive "Stall" tactics are banned.
  • Controller Mods are banned
  • If there is a dispute over controller ports, play Rock Paper Scissors for it ( if you guys cannot do this I will flip a coin)
  • Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock)
  • If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
  • If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD and falling off the stage and the game counts it as a tie, the player who initiated the swallow move wins. If the player who was swallowed is shown as winning the match (in the instance the broke out right before they died which some people might not notice), then they win.
  • No pausing in-game. Pausing in-game will result in the loss of a stock. The second warning will be loss of a match. The ONLY exception is, if a host(s) asks you to pause.

• In the event of a TIE at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins. If both players have one stock then it is decided by percentage. If both players have ONE STOCK and SAME PERCENTAGE the players will quit the SUDDEN DEATH, set the stock to one, and start a match with stage being the same as where they had the tie. This will determine the winner.
  • Each Round is best of three matches; Grand/Losers/Winners Finals are best of five matches*
  • Singles seeding will be based on Region/Rankings with some courtesy to crews – you will be spaced evenly as to prevent playing each other in the first round. One of the two criteria must be fulfilled in ordered to be favored. You MUST have 3 or more people in a group hailing from the same region, or you must be part of a crew. Teams seeding will also be seeded in the same way.

Violation of any rule is punishable by non-refunded disqualification and all violations will be delivered at the discretion of the TO.
[/collapse]

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
look at my thread for the rules I use

I don't ban infinities, no lgl, bbr mindset behind it
similar stagee list to normal nj tournies, thinking about modifying it soon

iRJi

Smash Champion

In short, The current rule set for NJ is close to what I think is really good. It could use some tweaking. However, I am completely against infinite's outside of IC's, and I want a strict LGL. I will go into more detail later when I hear from everyone.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Our current rulesset is fine. We're probably leaving it alone unless the change is very very good

and not by only 1 persons opinion.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
Go from ledgegrabs to airtime?
or both, I've personally never seen the result of using airtime instead of ledgegrabs, but it's worth TESTING at least, anything is worth a test, shouldn't be too permenant. We could test things out at smashfests instead of tournies if it really seems "sketchy"

iRJi

Smash Champion
or both, I've personally never seen the result of using airtime instead of ledgegrabs, but it's worth TESTING at least, anything is worth a test, shouldn't be too permenant. We could test things out at smashfests instead of tournies if it really seems "sketchy"
It's silly overall. There are characters who are in the air majority of the time, and therefore would create a different strategy to win. If I was to ever fight a wario with this implemented, all I would do is just run away.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
why don't people realize that the lgl is bad for the metagame?

are we gonna start a new lgl debate thread? iv had to debate this like 20 times already lol

iRJi

Smash Champion
why don't people realize that the lgl is bad for the metagame?

are we gonna start a new lgl debate thread? iv had to debate this like 20 times already lol
How so? this logically does not make sense. Limiting a character potential to stall the game from being played, forcing an option that can severely get a player killed, can't be bad for the community. Not to mention we do have one character who 100% can plank the edge to a point where you can't physically do anything about it.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
the lgl wwas made to stop mk from abusing it to time ppl out
the lgl effects all characters
mk can still time ppl out with scrooging
this removes ledge play (which isn't broken) with other characters

so in short, mk doesn't care but it hurts everyone else (mainly pit rob gaw) in short increasing the gap between mk and everyone else.

if the lgl was in effect for only mk, that's no where near as bad, but then raises the ques - y is he legal?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

so in short, mk doesn't care but it hurts everyone else (mainly pit rob gaw) in short increasing the gap between mk and everyone else.

if the lgl was in effect for only mk, that's no where near as bad, but then raises the ques - y is he legal?

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
It's silly overall. There are characters who are in the air majority of the time, and therefore would create a different strategy to win. If I was to ever fight a wario with this implemented, all I would do is just run away.
there's a difference between using the air to camp and using the air for your metagame. a runaway MK will be in the air a lot longer then a wario if you are running away from him to time out, since the wario would actually remain on the ground if you are too far away, you'd ALSO would be in the air about as much as him if you are doing so.

(also limits MK from planking the ledge since he'd gain airtime)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Let's see here.

LGL - I think this needs to be altered based on character selection. I personally play the ledge a lot, but it's not broken with Yoshi AT ALL and it'd be silly if I were to lose due to using a good part of my game but run out of time. I actually support a MK only LGL, since his is the most broken.

Stages - Moar stages. I don't like the current stage list, mainly because it doesn't provide enough characters enough different options against MK. People may argue that more stages give MK more options to be gay on, but really, he already has his best two legal (Brinstar and RC). Adding things couldn't really hurt, except for the ones that are clearly even better for MK (Norfair potentially). I also really support this idea for stage striking.

The airtime thing is stupid and I don't like it at all, even though I am a largely grounded player.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Let's see here.

LGL - I think this needs to be altered based on character selection. I personally play the ledge a lot, but it's not broken with Yoshi AT ALL and it'd be silly if I were to lose due to using a good part of my game but run out of time. I actually support a MK only LGL, since his is the most broken.

Stages - Moar stages. I don't like the current stage list, mainly because it doesn't provide enough characters enough different options against MK. People may argue that more stages give MK more options to be gay on, but really, he already has his best two legal (Brinstar and RC). Adding things couldn't really hurt, except for the ones that are clearly even better for MK (Norfair potentially). I also really support this idea for stage striking.

The airtime thing is stupid and I don't like it at all, even though I am a largely grounded player.
The problem with eliminating the distinction between starters and CPs is that there are way more unfair stages than "fair". Thus, a character good on CP stages will ALWAYS get a CP stage, every time.

I'm neutral on the airtime thing, it helps my character a lot, but the timeout rules are fine if we PROPERLY limit MK (just ban the **** bat already).

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
No.

there's a difference between using the air to camp and using the air for your metagame. a runaway MK will be in the air a lot longer then a wario if you are running away from him to time out, since the wario would actually remain on the ground if you are too far away, you'd ALSO would be in the air about as much as him if you are doing so.

(also limits MK from planking the ledge since he'd gain airtime)
No.

Lower lgl to 20 imo.

Ban Rainbow. Allow pictochat and norfair.

iRJi

Smash Champion
m2k timed out shadow with 12 ledgegrabs, so even 20 is being generous.

Cheese, I'm not imaginative enough for mk specific scenarios right now lol. been up since 5.
Yes, but it is part shadows fault for not attempting to insert pressure while he was not ledge camping. I have done the testing with both M2k and Pierce while he was over around Christmas time, 35 is perfect honestly.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The problem with eliminating the distinction between starters and CPs is that there are way more unfair stages than "fair". Thus, a character good on CP stages will ALWAYS get a CP stage, every time.

I'm neutral on the airtime thing, it helps my character a lot, but the timeout rules are fine if we PROPERLY limit MK (just ban the **** bat already).
Well, as it is right now, we're letting a lot of the top characters play on a CP game 1 anyways (Diddy, IC, Falco, DDD, etc.). I don't think it's right for a character that's flexible to be nerfed by the starting stage selection.

Assuming we'd do striking by taking turns striking 1 stage at a time, it might look like this for, say, Yoshi vs. MK.

Battlefield
Delfino Plaza
Battleship Halberd
Pokemon Stadium(Melee)

Assuming the MK strikes first, we'd get.

FD
Brinstar
SV
RC
Lylat
Frigate
YI
Castle Siege
Poke
Halberd

And then we play on either Delfino or BF, both of which I'm comfortable on. This was just an example, and it could potentially vary a lot based on player styles as well. This kind of striking also promotes characters that can do well on a wide variety of stages (like MK), instead of those that really excel on our current starters (Diddy, ICs, Falco, etc.).

It's just an idea that I'm interested in. It would probably change a lot of character choice first round, too.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Well, as it is right now, we're letting a lot of the top characters play on a CP game 1 anyways (Diddy, IC, Falco, DDD, etc.). I don't think it's right for a character that's flexible to be nerfed by the starting stage selection.

Assuming we'd do striking by taking turns striking 1 stage at a time, it might look like this for, say, Yoshi vs. MK.

Battlefield
Delfino Plaza
Battleship Halberd
Pokemon Stadium(Melee)

Assuming the MK strikes first, we'd get.

FD
Brinstar
SV
RC
Lylat
Frigate
YI
Castle Siege
Poke
Halberd

And then we play on either Delfino or BF, both of which I'm comfortable on. This was just an example, and it could potentially vary a lot based on player styles as well. This kind of striking also promotes characters that can do well on a wide variety of stages (like MK), instead of those that really excel on our current starters (Diddy, ICs, Falco, etc.).

It's just an idea that I'm interested in. It would probably change a lot of character choice first round, too.
Adding more stages increases character diversity, however adding too much stages results back to square one. I have been debating with MLG and a few people from the back room as to why we should use a 7 stage starting list, and not 9. To be fair, 7 is the perfect amount for starters. I will go into detail about this when everyone has had their say.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
fizzle timed me out with under 20 grabs, and I couldn't sttempt to apply pressure not being able to use the ledge as much to fight under the stage.

not to mention who wants to fight mk under the stage? its a death threat

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
An increase in starters is lovely.

Also, a MK only LGL that is low is absolutely no problem, imo. MK has enough options so that he is not forced to the ledge frequently, and even then, this would only occur in a time out.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
M-my god, and just as I thought I couldn't be anymore disappointed in AN.

@Delta: If you are going to limit only MK you might as well ban him. I swear im about to post some courage wolf in here since it seems more like they are afraid to even contemplate *gasp* banning the bat.

I am neutral in the affair but I do think that when you are going to such lengths the mediate the behavior of a character, something is definitely wrong with the character.

Less scrub rules and more focusing on the issue, rather than trying to jump around it.

Btw an air time rule is ********. I would expect better.

Orion*

Smash Researcher

@Delta: If you are going to limit only MK you might as well ban him. I swear im about to post some courage wolf in here since it seems more like they are afraid to even contemplate *gasp* banning the bat.

I am neutral in the affair but I do think that when you are going to such lengths the mediate the behavior of a character, something is definitely wrong with the character.

Less scrub rules and more focusing on the issue, rather than trying to jump around it.

A. it doesnt mean hes broken
B. it just means planking is If you lose the lead
C. nuggha nobody complains when we limit d3s,ics cgs or infinites on ness and lucas

edit: if you do unban planking however i will immediately learn gaw and if i ever play someone like keitaro in tourny they are ****ed

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
can we atleast agree that a lgl on mk only is much better than a universal lgl? he's the only one with the problem

edit: orion I'll mm ur gaw no anti planking rules

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
A. it doesnt mean hes broken
1. I never said Metaknight was broken.Don't put words in my mouth, especially when I've said I am neutral in regards to his legality.

B. it just means planking is If you lose the lead
No no no, let us correct you here.
It means that Metaknight's planking is broken. Not that the strategy of planking in itself is broken.
ROB planking, G&W planking, Pit planking, it can all be dealt with by many different characters.

C. nuggha nobody complains when we limit d3s,ics cgs or infinites on ness and lucas
Don't censor bypass, you look like an idiot when you do.

IC cg's aren't limited. It is impossible to limit them.
The limits placed on DDD, as well as on Marth and Charizard from performing their respective infinites on Ness and Lucas are, hmm, gee, ********!

It is also hypocritical and also foolish.
You are trying to say "We got away with making bad rules last time, its perfectly fine to do it again."
you are flat out giving the community false hope and lying to them when you make these rules that don't do nothing more than put a bandaid on a severed artery.
Idjits.
edit: if you do unban planking however i will immediately learn gaw and if i ever play someone like keitaro in tourny they are ****ed
Sucks to be Falco.
Thing is, G&W's planking can be dealt with because of his vulnerabilities.
This was proven by DMG though frame data.
Pick someone who can deal with it.

Guess who isn't vulnerable when planking?
MK.
You get 6 frames in which he is vulnerable.
Alot of character's snap onto the ledge on frame 4.
You aren't going to be doing any harm to the bat unless you are *gasp* MK.

Planking and scrooging are both legit strategies.

They are only broken when it comes to MK.

Edit: MK gets around LGL's. Grabbing the ledge a mere 15 times=auto loss at the end?
TERRIBLE idea.
Two reasons.
1. MK can get around it.
2. Its a stupid idea.

Inui

Banned via Warnings

LOL

Dude, just make gliding under the stage more than once illegal, and then scrooging won't exist, and then have a LGL that is like 30. Then planking (not just with MK) and scrooging (not just with MK) won't be overpowered.

This game is bad and needs those rules.

I'm going to plank everyone at tournaments now. :)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

I've read the MK debates a lot, and I'm aware of that point. But if there HAD to be a LGL, I would rather it be MK only, as planking is not broken on anyone else.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Dude, just make gliding under the stage more than once illegal, and then scrooging won't exist, and then have a LGL that is like 30. Then planking (not just with MK) and scrooging (not just with MK) won't be overpowered.

This game is bad and needs those rules.

I'm going to plank everyone at tournaments now. :)
*flies under the stage once then lands*
*proceeds to fly under the stage again*

Let alone why put an LGL when planking and scrooging is not an issue for any other character except MK .

It's like you see the problem, and refuse to even see it.
Whole new level of denial these days.

I've read the MK debates a lot, and I'm aware of that point. But if there HAD to be a LGL, I would rather it be MK only, as planking is not broken on anyone else.
The problem is that its pretty much saying "This character is a problem in the metagame but we would rather put an arbitrary surgical change that he can circumvent(!), than ban him"

This is bad.
Can you imagine how stupid it would be if they said SSF2T Akuma could not use red fireball, air fireball, and allowed the opponent to recover from a dizzy? Just to keep Akuma legal and give everyone a chance?

Cause thats how good MK's planking is, and people severely underestimate only because it isn't done very often.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Then just ban stupid azz MK.

I'm going to plank/scrooge/etc. until he's banned, and then either quit and just work full-time or main Snake/Pit.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
If we are trying to limit MK for experimentation purposes, what about sharking? Sharking makes MK extremely broken on stages which you can come up from below the stage like Delfino, Brinstar, etc. Of course sharking would have to be given a reasonable definition. My personal definition would be "attacking from below the stage so your opponent can't hit you" or somewhere along those lines. It would really balance MK on stages like that. Coming up that way to recover though would be legal though. As for scrooging, ban it. It's really broken and just getting rid of it would be fair. Although these rules would also affect a few other characters like ROB and Pit, I believe it's fair.

I have no opinion on more neutrals, but I think we should add PS2 and Pictochat. They really aren't bad stages.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
lol ban sharking? ppl r becoming obsessed with limiting rules when they don't realize mk is the only source of the problem

the comparison to no akuma fireballs was funny and made sense

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Pro-ban (like Chibo) purposely wants to allow planking/scrooging/sharking/etc. in order to tempt MK players into abusing it all to show that MK is ban-worthy. They don't want compromises. They don't want a LGL or a limited MK. They want MK gone, and that's it. In the SBR poll, pro-ban voted almost unanimously for no LGL or planking/scrooging rules. They want broken MK to exist so they can just ban him entirely.

I will give you what you want, Chibo. :)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
SL, I'm very, very aware of how silly limiting JUST MK is, but in a world where he's not banned, it's essentially the next best thing. I personally think he should be banned, and I'd rather not simply limit him until he's a shell of the character he once was, even though he's still really good in that case.

Top Bottom