• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's Platform Cancel(s): An In Depth Look

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
Before we dive into the topic, let me quick explain what a platform cancel is. On any MOVING platform, such as on stages like Smashville or Lylat Cruise, you can stop your upward momentum by performing an aerial, pressing the shield button, or light shielding while holding down. You can see examples of each cancel in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPe8F-exCY. Let's now cover each cancel.

Aerial Platform Cancel:

After full hopping this cancel is performed by holding down and performing any aerial other than dair right when you become level with the platform. This gives you only about as much lag as Pikachu's flash technique does, so you can perform anything out of it. See "Stick Cancel" in video above.

Shield Cancel:
After full hopping this cancel is performed by pressing the R and or L button all the way down while holding down, when you are level with the platform. Your shield will pop-up. This method is fairly laggy, and not recommended. See "Shield Cancel" in video above.

Shield Drop:

After full hopping this cancel is performed by pressing the R or L button , and pressing down at the same time when level with the platform. It resembles a platform drop in SSB64 and Melee, only your shield doesn't pop up at all. This cancel has many uses, and is highly recommended. See "Light Shield Cancel + Drop" in video above

Now let's dive into uses.

Aerial Cancel:
  • Good for canceling lag after Qac, yeah that's right, if you jump out of Qac, and cancel this baby you only get the lag from the cancel. You won't get the Qac lag on the next jump. (Applicable to Shield Drop Cancel too, but you will not drop)
  • If a foe is going above you, cancel onto platform, and hit em' with an Up-Smash
  • Mixups, and lots of em. This will definatley throw opponents off guard, just don't abuse.

Shield Cancel:

• Good for canceling on the platform right into a grab, or a shield grab, chances are, the opponent will think you'll still have your momentum and try to punish, so shield grab them suckers
  • After you've cancelled, remember you can jump out of you're sheild, you can short hop any aerial, I like to use nair, because it might kill if the opponent is off guard

Shield Drop:

• Good for FFair and Tjolt mixups, gets you close to the opponent, and spaces you farely well. Will catch them offguard if used unpredictably
  • Ledge Hopping, can be cancelled by this, thus dropping onto the stage safetly with multiple options (mind you ledge hopping can be cancelled into any of these, but this has proven most effective for me)
  • Mixups, catch em' off guard. If they suspect it I always QacNair and throw them off.
  • Can be used for unexpected edgehogs, for the foe who didn't take the time to space the Up-b right. Making them fall to their death
  • GIMPS, drop from a platform with a fair or a tjolt off edge, space it correctly and your opponent is done
  • Can be used to regain second jump, for recovery

*Update by Syko_Lemming:
Just tested all the platforms on rainbow cruise, they work.
The platform on halberd works just before the stage lifts off. (I'm assuming also as it's landing.)
Yoshi's Island platform works only while it's moving.
The windmill on PS1 always works.
The windmill-like thing on picochat works.
The leaves on distant planet work even when they're not moving, but the main vine platform never seems to work. (I might just suck, but I tried it like 20 times, and with each different method.)
Platforms on pirate ship always work, but I can't get the front and rear parts of the ship itself to work. The rock doesn't work.

Just a random thing: you can't pick up items the same time you use the c-stick to platform cancel.

Something interesting is that you can't always jump from the lower platform to the higher platform on pirate ship with a full jump, but you can always platform cancel onto it, even if you won't make it with a single jump.

*Update by ESAM:
Just so you guys don't try to do it with some characters...

You cannot aerial cancel with multiple jump characters while using their multiple jumps. MK and D3 can reach the SV platform with their full hop, but Kirby cannot. Therefore, Kirby cannot aerial cancel on SV unless you ledge jump it.

*Update by Bigman40:
To correct you on "Light Shield Drop" you have to push the L/R trigger all the way, but you have to push down on the same frame.

*Update by MXXD123:
You can platform cancel on Delfino, when the stage is lifting up or landing, I'm assuming the same can be said for Castle Siege.

Lastly, Pikachu's Plaftorm Cancel(s) are a very useful tactic. While it's not game breaking it has it's uses. It makes Smashville a decent cp.... by a small margin. It can be used on various stages, and can be used for multiple reasons. Try interpreting it into your game, see what happens.
-MXXD

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty **** helpful. Can this only be done with full jumps?

As for moving platforms, do the platforms on rainbow cruise count as moving?
Possibly? I would assume so. And it's not necesarily just full hopping, you can do it with any jump SH DJ, anything, full hop is on Smashville and Lylat when you're grounded.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Reminiscent of L-canceling... but more situational. And for that reason it might be more difficult to put into muscle memory.
I'd say it is worth practicing with in training mode. And any character can do this, correct? This has been found long ago, I'm sure. But I'm not knockin on you at all for bringing it up.

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
Reminiscent of L-canceling... but more situational. And for that reason it might be more difficult to put into muscle memory.
I'd say it is worth practicing with in training mode. And any character can do this, correct? This has been found long ago, I'm sure. But I'm not knockin on you at all for bringing it up.
This tech was discovered way back in 2008 by Gonzo and Candy. It's not neccesary, but it's worth it. Yes, any character except Yoshi can do the shield cancels. Yoshi can do the aerial cancel though. Otherwise everyone.

I dont see recreational use for this
It really does have it's benefits. Esam used it quite a bit in a match vs. Ch33s3, and it helped quite a bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JowKoU1QLVA

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Very interesting read. I've always kinda filed this under the techniques that are kinda cool, but not really a high priority for learning category. I'll definitely mess around with this when I get home from a tournament today.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Guess I won't be doing the light shield thing since I won't have springs soon, lol.

Interesting to know, though!

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
The platform on halberd works just before the stage lifts off. (I'm assuming also as it's landing.)
The leaves on distant planet work even when they're not moving, but the main vine platform never seems to work. (I might just suck, but I tried it like 20 times, and with each different method.)
Platforms on pirate ship always work, but I can't get the front and rear parts of the ship itself to work. The rock doesn't work.

Just a random thing: you can't pick up items the same time you use the c-stick to platform cancel.

Something interesting is that you can't always jump from the lower platform to the higher platform on pirate ship with a full jump, but you can always platform cancel onto it, even if you won't make it with a single jump.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend

You cannot aerial cancel with multiple jump characters while using their multiple jumps. MK and D3 can reach the SV platform with their full hop, but Kirby cannot. Therefore, Kirby cannot aerial cancel on SV unless you ledge jump it.

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman

Thanks for that, will be updating OP

Guess I won't be doing the light shield thing since I won't have springs soon, lol.

Interesting to know, though!
Yeah, I believe you can platform drop without light shield, but full shield only you will instantaniously fastfall, limiting many options.

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
What's this light shielding blasphemy? It don't work for me. =/
Yeah it was hard for me to learn to, but basically. What you want to do is start sheilding when you're level with the platform, THEN PRESS DOWN AT THE SAME TIME. Rather than having previously holding down, like in the shield cancel. A video is coming soon, so you should see what I mean.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Yeah it was hard for me to learn to, but basically. What you want to do is start sheilding when you're level with the platform, THEN PRESS DOWN AT THE SAME TIME. Rather than having previously holding down, like in the shield cancel. A video is coming soon, so you should see what I mean.
Ah. That would be why I can't get it to work. So does it result in fall through the platform or landing on it?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Oh okay, this doesn't involve light shielding at all cause it doesn't exist in Brawl. x.x

You actually have to press the button all the way down for this to work...

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
Oh okay, this doesn't involve light shielding at all cause it doesn't exist in Brawl. x.x

You actually have to press the button all the way down for this to work...
True the mechanic doesn't exist, but in order to drop, the game picks up your slight pressing of the button (halfway through pressing button all the way down) and the down action on the analog stick to drop. Otherwise you'd sidestep.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Well, pressing it halfway doesn't work for me. I tried a billion times and got nothing. When I started pressing it all the way down, it started working. I'm pretty sure half pressing L/R doesn't register as anything in Brawl.

neji32

Smash Lord
I dont get wat this is still. I cant watch the vid cause of wiinet but is it cancel upward momentum as in, if you jump/get knocked up you will dramatically change the distance??

King~

Smash Champion
when your jumping through a moving platform, instead of going all the way through you can land on it imediately(sp?) and shiel,grab,run, etc

bigman40

Smash Master
To correct you on "Light Shield Drop" you have to push the L/R trigger all the way, but you have to push down on the same frame.

milistisia2

Smash Apprentice
omg i tried reading this but my brain hurt from all the words, and the video didn't help too much either... can i get it short and sweet? what do these platform cancels do, and why are they effective?

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
omg i tried reading this but my brain hurt from all the words, and the video didn't help too much either... can i get it short and sweet? what do these platform cancels do, and why are they effective?
It's pretty simple. You can jump and land on a moving platform when you would normally rise through and past it. It stops your upward momentum and you are simply standing on the platform.

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
These are useful, about as useful as the qaclock, not a neccesity, but can add more depth to your game, it's generally used for mixups or approaches. I've had it help me several times when playing offline on smashville.

EDIT: Delfino works too when stage is coming up or landing.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
i played choice recentley (no 2 on pr in cali)

and i noticed on sv he wld camp the platform and not come down till he was past 47 so i cldnt cg him. i think that with this u cld cancel it into a grab and get any falcos off the platform and try to make them stay on the ground, tho they may just re camp again if u dont catch them since u cannot cg on that platform.

Roller

Smash Legend
@FZ, I don't think that would be too practical for preventing platform camping vs falco, 'cause I don't think they mind the risk of one grab (which adds to their percent, helping them out of cg range) so much. Plus if you F up, they CAN cg you on the platform.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
What you should do if they are platform cancelling is hit them a few times on the platform (With uairs or bairs) so that you will get the lead. At that point, crouch on one side of the stage. Watch out for run off level jump back on laser, but it is EASILY shieldable.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Ok did some testing.

Platform canceling does not eliminate lag on QAC. However, I believe it does reduce it. The lag occurs when you platform cancel itself, but it feels like the lag isnt nearly as long from a normal QAC. Also, it feels like doing an aerial reduces it more than shielding, which would sort of make sense, but Im not sure and would need by frame testing to be sure.

BTW you can platform cancel with B moves. Ive dont it with thunder and jolt. However youll end up doing to move as well. Not even gonna attempt QA and skull bash, though Im sure I could with b stick, lol

Finally Dair either must platform cancel or have some freakin weird properties. It makes no sense that bair would platform cancel and not dair. I havent been able to do it yet, so Im guessing (and hoping) its the latter. Lemme know if people find info saying otherwise. I intend to create a dair revolution, lol.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
The reason you get less lag when you platform cancel is because you're doing a soft landing onto the platform. And there's no difference in lag between PC'ing with an aerial or shielding.

You can PC with Dair, but you'll always get the landing lag from Dair.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Ah, I shouldve remembered that from QAC. Thats very interesting though, I have another question for somewhere else...

Top Bottom