• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phase 11 - July 17th - Dallas TX - @FX Game Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Please bring TVs if you can. The more we have, the more you guys can play friendlies =)

Phase 11
July 17th, 2010

Tentative Schedule & Fees

Registration for each event will end promptly 5 min before the event starts.
10:00 AM - Doors open / Setup / MMs
11:00 AM - Brawl Doubles begins
1:30 PM - Brawl Singles begins
8:30 PM - Shut down TVs/Wiis and start cleaning up (i need help from you guys here)
9:00 PM - Store closes (I might get this extended)

Venue Fee - $3 per person - Free if you bring a full setup (TV + Wii)
Brawl Singles - $10 per person - NO REFUNDS
Brawl Doubles - $10 per person - NO REFUNDS

Venue

Address: FX Game Exchange 3000 Custer Rd, Plano TX, 75075
Contact: Store Owner "Trey" (972-212-4233) or UTDZac (361-676-2223 or AIM shadowgripper)

Livestream & Twitter

Livestream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/phase-tournaments
Twitter: http://twitter.com/phase_tourneys

Payouts

Singles:
1-19 = 80 / 20
20 - 39 = 60 / 30 / 10
40 - 79 = 55 / 30 / 10 / 5
80-99 = 55 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 2.5
120+ = 50 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 3⅓ / 3⅓ / 1⅔ / 1⅔

Doubles (# of Teams):
1-9 = 80 / 20
10 - 19 = 60 / 30 / 10
20 - 39 = 55 / 30 / 10 / 5
40-59 = 55 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 2.5
60+ = 50 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 3⅓ / 3⅓ / 1⅔ / 1⅔

Brawl Bounty List
Dojo - $10
UltimateRazer - $10
Gnes - $10 (slain by Dphat)
LeeMartin - $5
Xyro (Samus dittos) - $5

How the Bounty List works
I'm trying out something new to hopefully motivate lesser-known players (or OoS players) to beat big-name players. If you beat one of the players on the Bounty List in a singles tournament (winners or losers bracket) and your name is not on the Bounty List, then you receive the bounty prize for that player. Simple as that!

Stage List

Starter Stages
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island

Counterpick Stages
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

General Rules
  • Absolutely NO CUSSING in the store, or the store owner can throw you out.
  • 3 Stock for Brawl. 4 Stock for Melee. 4 Stock for Brawl Minus.
  • 8 minute timer.
  • Items are set to "Off" and "None"
  • Matches are best of 3. Winners/Losers/Grand Finals are best of 5.
  • Controller port disputes will be resolved by Rock-Paper-Scissors or higher number with G&W's SideB.
  • Brawl: First round stage will be determined by stage strike system.
  • No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • In teams matches one team will get ports 1 and 4, while the other team gets ports 2 and 3.
  • Make sure you fix your controller and your tag before you start playing. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action.
  • [Time Limit] If the timer runs out, the winner of the game will be determined by the number of stocks (the highest number will win). If stocks are tied, sudden death won’t be used and a tiebreaker round will be played instead. In a tiebreaker round, stock will be set to 1, the timer will be set to 4 minutes, and the same stage and characters must be used.

MLG Rules
  • No use of Marth’s and Squirtle’s grab release infinites against Ness.
  • No use of King Dedede’s standing grab infinites against Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Samus, and Mario.
  • No use of Metaknight’s infinite cape glitch.
  • No pausing a game without the other player's permission.
  • No use of an action that freezes a game, or otherwise disrupts standard gameplay.
  • Any infinite move must end before the affected character reaches 300%.
  • Players may request a blind pick of characters for the game 1 of a match.
  • Players may not intentionally manipulate a button, trigger, bumper, D-Pad, and/or joystick on a teammate’s controller while a game is in progress. Breaking this rule will result in a forfeit of the game.
  • [Stage Striking] For game 1 of each match, the higher seeded player/team must strike three stages from the list of starter stages. The lower seeded player/team must then strike 4 stages from the list of starter stages. The higher seeded player/team must then choose the game 1 stage from the remaining starter stages.
  • [Ledge Grab Limit] If the timer runs out and a player exceeds the ledge grab limit for that game’s stage, that player/team will forfeit the game. However, if the timer runs out and both players in a 1v1 match, or at least one player on each 2v2 team, exceed the ledge grab limit for that game’s stage, the penalty will not be enforced (instead, use the [Time Limit] rule above). The ledge grab limit will be 35. The ledge grab limits only apply to games/tiebreaker rounds in which the timer runs out.
  • [Continuation Sets] If players are scheduled to play each other for a 2nd time, their match will expand to a Best of 7, include the previous match, and pick up where that match left off. For example, if Player A beat Player B 2 games to 0 in the winners bracket, the Best of 7 will resume with game 3 and Player A leading 2 games to 0. When the match is resumed, the loser of the winners bracket match must select the stage for the upcoming game. When the match is resumed, the winner of the winners bracket match must select their character for the upcoming game first. The loser of the winners bracket match must then select their character for the upcoming game.

Other Rules
  • MikeHaze rule: No yelling or making abrupt noises at your opponent. This applies to EVERYONE, players and spectators. Simply talking to the players (and Exodia moments) are exempt.
  • Chibo's Video-for-the-masses rule: You cannot refuse to be recorded if you pay money to enter an event.
  • Razer's No Coaching rule: Spectators may NOT coach/give advice to the players while they are playing a tournament game. In between games of a set is ok.

Housing
If you need housing, please contact one of these locals. If you can house people, let me know and I'll add you to the list.
  • Dphat 214-536-1403
  • UTDZac 361-676-2223
  • Shuz 469-237-4493
  • Ice 214-518-5886
  • Sethlon 832-482-5588
  • Brett (Denton) 214-729-1880

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I really do want to go to this because Dallas is super awesome, but it's the week before Hylian's...

HOW CAN I CHOOSE?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!! :(

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I mean, money-wise, I don't think it's possible for me, but I will try to make do. However, Apex is looking to be almost impossible for me, so that only increases my chances of going to this.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Good thing I can't spell or read words jumbled together.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Please note the rules for "When time runs out" have changed for this tournament. You can find them under General Rules -> [Time Limit]

And no, the reasoning behind using this has nothing to do with what happened last Phase.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
hm, interesting. did nto know about the coaching rule. ill make sure and yell real loud next time lol. i see it all the tiem.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
How do you 'turn in' someone who's coaching? I had someone coach round 3 of a set I was playing at the last tourney. My fault for not saying anything though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just pause the game and tell them to stop coaching. If they don't, get the TO. In between matches is okay.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Please note the rules for "When time runs out" have changed for this tournament. You can find them under General Rules -> [Time Limit]

And no, the reasoning behind using this has nothing to do with what happened last Phase.
I approve.

DMG, and DPhat automatically disapprove.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So if the tiebreaker round ends with no one getting KO'd, I assume it just goes again?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think the rule is kind of silly. It's just going to promote camping from the player that is losing in %.

Say I'm playing dojo and he has 2 stocks to my 1 stock and I'm at 120%. I get a grab and CG him till 300% or w/e right before the time runs out I kill him. Then I get 1 grab in overtime and win.

-.-.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I think the rule is kind of silly. It's just going to promote camping from the player that is losing in %.

Say I'm playing dojo and he has 2 stocks to my 1 stock and I'm at 120%. I get a grab and CG him till 300% or w/e right before the time runs out I kill him. Then I get 1 grab in overtime and win.

-.-.
Well both CGing him till 300% and getting that final CG in the overtime round isn't exactly easy is it?

But yea anyways why not the person with less percent be the winner?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well both CGing him till 300% and getting that final CG in the overtime round isn't exactly easy is it?
Getting one grab is a lot easier than getting 3.

And I don't have to CG till 300% it was just an example. We could both have 1 stock and he could have 0% while I have single climber and 100%. Time runs out and then I get nana back and my damage reset to 0%. Then all I have to do is grab him once rather than 3 times.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i agree w/ jordan. while this would promote approaching for the person in the lead, it would also promote camping for the person behind. although the person behind usually isn't mk lol

Gnes

Smash Master
Lol i find it interesting when a mk is finally timed out the rule changes, makes me feel sorta, weird.

Doesnt matter to me personally...looks like no easy time out wins anymore :)

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Again, I'm not changing this rule because of what happened at the last phase. I had been thinking about it before the tournament. I wanted to use it for Phase10, but the rules we set and in place. I planned on testing it out for Phase 11.

I don't feel this is a horrible idea, I think it can actually work. If you guys really don't like the rule and don't plan on showing up because of it, I'll change it back. If midway through the tournament we realize the rule starts causing a lot of problems, I'll change it back. But I honestly think going into a match without the mindset of "If I camp, be patient, and keep running away... I can more easily win with my high-damage output character"

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Again, I'm not changing this rule because of what happened at the last phase. I had been thinking about it before the tournament. I wanted to use it for Phase10, but the rules we set and in place. I planned on testing it out for Phase 11.

I don't feel this is a horrible idea, I think it can actually work. If you guys really don't like the rule and don't plan on showing up because of it, I'll change it back. If midway through the tournament we realize the rule starts causing a lot of problems, I'll change it back. But I honestly think going into a match without the mindset of "If I camp, be patient, and keep running away... I can more easily win with my high-damage output character"
Fair enough. I'm all for testing things out.

Suspect

Smash Hero
That rule stops people from planking. No more getting the lead and running to the ledge. Awesome?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
That rule stops people from planking. No more getting the lead and running to the ledge. Awesome?
While this is true in theory, think about this:

Instead the player who is behind can run to the ledge and plank long enough for the timer to run out, then get a completely fresh stock and totally negate the other player's lead and possibly win the game due to an adjustment in the rules.

However, both of these are only theory. I'm thinking this rule is good for normal play during the game since it inherently eliminates the advantages of campy play, but when it actually happens I think it will make the person who had the lead pretty angry.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
But what if the player that was in the lead is far more superior and the other just planks it out until that next game starts, where you can't plank it out. Then he'll just lose.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
Instead the player who is behind can run to the ledge and plank long enough for the timer to run out, then get a completely fresh stock and totally negate the other player's lead and possibly win the game due to an adjustment in the rules.
I've thought about that too. But when does time run out and the loser is somebody who can plank well eg MK

Suspect

Smash Hero
Actually since it's MLG rules then both players would be DQ'd for going over the LGL if the timer runs out. (assuming they both go over the LGL)

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Yeah guys remember to please read over ALL of the rules. I tried to take most of them from MLG (except some like referee ones). That's not to say that I've added a few personal touches like this new [Time Limit] rule and Razer's No Coaching rule.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Yeah guys remember to please read over ALL of the rules. I tried to take most of them from MLG (except some like referee ones). That's not to say that I've added a few personal touches like this new [Time Limit] rule and Razer's No Coaching rule.
You should take out the set continuation rule.

grmbl....

This thread needs moar Gengar :094:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Good chance I'm going to this one. And there's a possibility a few buddies of mine from SMU will come as well.

Wanna try and get past 33rd this time. :3

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
So just so i am clear, is this considered coaching. If i am playing and somebody tells me " Tyson calm down, Tyson just play your game, don't rush the kill, ect. Things like that?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I thinking coaching would be considered telling where C4s or mines are located or telling someone that they should use this killmove right now because they are at kill percent.

Telling someone to be calm doesn't really give a tactical advantage in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom