• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #2: Zero Suit Samus

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
In the buildup towards the next tier list we’ve decided to do a weekly character discussion again. This gives us more time to exchange thoughts as well as hopefully allowing us to provide an interesting read for the general public. In the next two months we’ll cover the 16 characters in the A, B and C tiers, after which we expect to roll right into the tier list discussion and voting.

The order is kind of random, but the characters we'll cover are:
A: Snake, Diddy Kong, Falco, Ice Climbers, Marth, Wario
B: King Dedede, Pikachu, Olimar, Lucario, Mr. Game & Watch
C: Pit, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, R.O.B.

BBR members touched down on subjects such as:
-Strengths/weaknesses
-Matchups
-Tournament performance
-Current tier list placement and potential for the future

It is encouraged to form your own opinion and discuss away. :)

Crow!

Smash Lord
Snakeee frequents the Link Xat. I could try to grab a hold of him if you like; he seems to have a very different take on the character than NickRiddle does.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I wouldn't mind some of his perspectives, but he'll be able to contribute once we release this topic to the public anyway.

gallax

Smash Hero
Even though people may want to see zss rise in the tier list b/c of riddles performance, they need to realize that it wasnt zss that was winning, it was riddle. Riddle is one of the smartest players out there and would have done great with any char that he had picked up. Now with that being said i do think that zss has more to offer (as a char) than gaw but not more than tink or pit.

Once we remove the lgl people will be able to use pit to his fullest potential. they are way too scared to plank with pit because he needs to grab the edge, a lot. Tink is just a great char to play defensive with and has a ton of weapons to fight with. Any good tl user would also know how to fight up close without projectiles. Zamus doesnt have quite as many options as either of these two chars, or with most of the chars above her. Sure ddd is mostly grab and bair/ftilt, but no one cares since hes huge and has a dumb grab range. She really has to learn how to get around shields too since her grab is meh. Im not raelly the zss expert on matchups though so I will not presume what here advantages and weaknesss are in MU's. But, what I will say is that she goes almost even with snake and mk. Ive seen hrnut lost to riddle but also beat redhalberd mk with zss.

My conclusion so far: keep her where she is. The one char who shouldnt be above her though is gaw. People need to learn to SDI the bair or hit its weakpoint.

Count

Smash Champion
I've picked this character up for fun lately. I don't know a ton about her but despite her getting dominated by shields, it seems to me that she has more options than other characters at her current level in the tier list, particularly in the Meta Knight matchup.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
ZSS...is interesting...

Shield Pressure isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. She has a 1 frame jab after shield drop, and a 4 frame U-tilt that hits any small size character standing. She has great damage racking capabilities and has a fairly good kill game (Most of her stronger attacks kill ~140 on heavies). She has an amazing spacing game and has chain grabs on heavies and dash-attack locks on everybody.

Her worst problem is her recovery. She is very limited. She has a double jump, up-b, (Which can extend the jump), down-b, and tethers. If she uses her double jump, the down-b is really predictable since if you grab the ledge before she uses it she...can't do anything but hope she hits you off with her up-b.

I think she should rise 1 or 2 spots, but nothing too major at the moment. Maybe something else will make her better.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Sadly I barely know this character =l

All ill say is I think if you shield while running her attacks u can actually get hits on her. MK shuts her down though for having a fast running ddash grab which is almost always a grab

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Lack of options against shield and poor options OoS make her too weak to consistently do anything on a large scale.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
ZSS's large weakness is being shield pressured, like all of you are pointing out. It's a pretty big weakness. When you're playing against her normally, and then playing against her with a more shield-campy approach to the match, you notice a very large difference in how the match's outcomes are. She has some moves that are safe on shield, sure... But those moves aren't gonna be beating shields anytime soon if the opponent is intent on powershielding everything, and keeps an eye on his shield size. And if the opponent has a projectile and a good grab/some good OoS options, ZSS is forced to approach and encounter a shield-camping opponent. That's one of the reasons why Falco's so hard for her: good OoS options to cover his front and back, a projectile to force her to do the approaching, and multi-hit disjoints that string into other moves.

Her recovery isn't amazing, it's just good. It's the best recovery a character with a tether could have: two tethers, a downB (third jump pretty much), her downB footstool that can be used on anything solid (except the stage and its hazards), her dsmash is so safe on shield that she can hit Marth's counter and still have enough time to powershield, making it one of her best grounded spacers (others being dtilt, ftilt and sideB).

She has lots of options, and the only attack she has that has almost no use at all is her fsmash... All her other attacks have multiple uses, and this is because of the very low cooldown on most of her attacks, decent fallspeed, decent jump speed/height, and fast ground movement. With all of her stats, she'd normally be seen as a very aggressive character, but since even a stationary opponent who knows when to shield her attacks and spotdodge/roll around her grab becomes impenetrable, it doesn't shine as much as it should... And it's all because of her very bad tether grab. That alone makes her unviable for top level play when both opponents know the MU, as seen from Nick Riddle's performance (best ZSS player right now) shift from when he 2-0'd Ally in MLG:C, to when Ally became aware of what to do, and against M2K.

It's too bad her projectile has limited range, slow speed and startup/exploitable cooldown. It would have more uses if it would be faster and reached farther, she'd easily outclass everyone in her tier. But, that's not the case, so... She's still dealing with shield campers the way she's doing right now.

I really would not raise her a spot at all. In fact, I think she's around the perfect tier position. Some other characters might shuffle around, but I don't see her going above or below her current tier.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
To add in on what Kewkky said, Zero Suit also has one of the best aerial games in the whole game - her aerials are partly disjointed (I forgot which ones are exactly), hence her legs are called "sword legs" sometimes. They are fast and powerful, and her UAir is great for juggling.

She also has armor pieces in the beginning of the game, which can be used heavily to her advantage if used right; they are fairly powerful. Of course, they can be used against her just as well, hence Zero Suit has to play carefully with armor pieces. While it's not a central aspect of her, it still has quite a few uses and should be pointed out.

Another noteworthy aspect is that her USmash and her grounded UpB can be used for enemies approaching aerially, most notably Meta Knights who DAir-camp.

ZSS' grab game is horrible, what with having one of the worst grabs in the game and only mediocre throws. Almost always there are better options for ZSS when she has the opportunity to grab.

One of her other weaknesses is actually getting a KO - her SideB and her aerials are, most of the time, staled, since she uses them a lot (mainly SideB as approach or space tool), and she has hardly any other KO options, so specially heavier characters are going to survive long against Zero Suit Samus.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I think even outside of knowing the matchup concerning fighting this character, people overestimate how easy it is to "just powershield everything" and disregard completely that ZSS' players can actually space attacks.

Imo the character is gimmicky but no more gimmicky than MK. She wins because she has a lot of attacks that are punishable on paper but really hard to punish in practice (MK gets away with the same kind of things all the time). The low lag on her attacks allows her to mix up legit follow ups to punish her opponents attempt to punish the minimal ending lag.

Anyway concerning how good the character is, I think people understand how to punish the character on paper but don't know what's realistic when a match is actually playing. She'll probably go up a spot or too, but she's a character with a good set of options but has no answer to certain things.

But once again, punishing the character "in practice" if you don't play a ZSS' regularly is pretty difficult. A few playstyle gimmicks seem to work well but I'd say play the matchup and figure out what your character can and can't do well.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
ZSS is a great character, and the game has been ripe for some while for a really good ZSS to rise up and show what she can really do. I think NickRiddle really represents that as he's pretty much showing off the full potential of an, until now, underestimated character. Overall, I feel she is definitely one of the more unique characters (and by relation to that, a less popular one), but she has a great deal of potential still to go. The staling issue isn't as big of a deal when someone plans the match out well and keeps one of her quick kills moves fresh to land off of a well spaced down smash (Have you seen that hit bubble? Holy ****ing jesus).

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
But once again, punishing the character "in practice" if you don't play a ZSS' regularly is pretty difficult. A few playstyle gimmicks seem to work well but I'd say play the matchup and figure out what your character can and can't do well.
Just saying, seeing as I've mained ZSS from day 1, I've had my fair share of experiences with her... And I can totally point out that too much shielding pretty much stops her from being viable. It's the reason why I even looked for another character (and ended up with Kirby), things get way too hard for her when the opponent starts shield camping, projectile camping, and shielddashing while keeping an eye out for her grab.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Just saying, seeing as I've mained ZSS from day 1, I've had my fair share of experiences with her... And I can totally point out that too much shielding pretty much stops her from being viable. It's the reason why I even looked for another character (and ended up with Kirby), things get way too hard for her when the opponent starts shield camping, projectile camping, and shielddashing while keeping an eye out for her grab.
Nick Riddle mained ZSS from day 1 and didn't get amazing till 2010. Where you at?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
She's okay.

I'm experimenting a new style with her to deal with specific matchups (it involves using the timer), but I'm not 100% sure of how effective it is. I tossed the idea to Riddle and sees some promise, but it's all theory at the moment. Rather than boast about how "OMG ZSS's NEW STYLE COMPLETELY CHANGES THE GAME, NEW MK *****ES," we're going to see how it works in practice first :laugh:

Shielding against her is pretty good but only if the ZSS doesn't take the necessary risk to grab. I've had this problem for awhile, so I've been tinkering with her grab in friendlies lately, and it's quite a bit more successful than I imagined a 16-frame grab was going to be. Sure I eat punishes here and there, but the reward is solving ZSS's biggest problem. The shielder often forgets her grab exists, but once he remembers it's there, it at least opens up a mix-up game for her that involves the opponent momentarily dropping their shield.

Her throws aren't mediocre, they all serve pretty decent purpose. F-throw has a nasty chaingrab against heavier characters, b-throw serves its purpose as a directional throw very well (not to mention with bad DI, combos into fair), and d-throw sends the opponent into a mixup against her uair - generally the worst possible place you want to be against her.

tl;dr nickriddle 2008 vertical wario 16 frame grab

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I find her biggest problem to be approaching. Most characters she loses to she struggles to approach well. Falco, MK, Wario, Marth, etc. I think the recovery is forgiveable, but there's no making up for bad approaching (besides camping, and that's only if you are the one with the lead).

I do think actually that G&W could be higher than her. I find him an overall safer character to pick than her.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
First of all, ZSS:Wario and ZSS:Marth are 50:50. I think ZSS:Marth is in ZSS's favor, but nobody else on my board does.

ZSS's flaw is that she basically has no grab. People can shield and can dodge the grab on reaction, which is stupid. That being said, her shield problem only affects her vs. a few characters. MK, Snake, Diddy, and a tiny bit Marth. Everybody else she can hits shields with spacing moves, and not get punished for it. (lol d-smash, so "terrible')
All that being said, if ZSS DOES land a grab, her throws are good. F-throw is a CG against heavies, d-throw puts people in combo positions (Uair is sometimes guaranteed.), b-throw can lead to a follow-up, and u-throw... is good on teams... yeah... She also has GR CGs on Squirtle, Wario, MK and Pikachu.

Her ground game is mediocre. D-tilt is good, and puts you in the air. It has enough cooldown to get punished on PS though. F-tilt is TERRIBLE! Her worst move IMO. U-tilt's hitbox is stupid huge, and it puts people in the air again, so it's good.
U-smash is okay, the big hitbox being it's only purpose. F-smash is bad, but it has uses. (It's a kill move, sometimes!) D-smash is one of her best moves, IMO. It's a stupid-good damage-racker, stuns people for a guaranteed follow-up, can punish landings, AND the hitbox is HUGE! (See my avatar)

Her air game is where she really shines. Her dair is usually bad. It autocancels... really high up... so it's ntop good for that purpose. It's only real purpose is the slight stall it has at the beginning, to dodge an attack (yes, I am not joking) and then hit with it. Her fair is decent, lots of damage if the two hits connect, but they probably won't. Bair is amazing! It's spacing is too good, it has low landing lag, and you can do two of them in one SH.
Uair is much better than any of her other aerials though. It's hit box is amazing, it leads into itself, if you air-dodge one of them, a second one will probably hit you. It's hitboxes even beat every one of MK's aerials... AND it's like 4 frames.

Her specials are good. Paralyzer is slow and only has two states, uncharged and fully charged. Even with those limitations, the move is okay. Running b-reversed paralyzer is probably it's best use. I'm running away, and now you're stunned.
Plasma Wire (Up-B) is probably her best special. It's the highest hitting move in the game, and it has 4 or 5 hitboxes that all do different things. it can do a slow spike, and fast spike, or it can leave you where you are, which is good for follow-ups.
Her Plasma Whip (Side-B) is the second farthest horizontal hitbox in the game. It's slow on start-up, but it's good for catching dodge, and landings.

ZSS is so weird to use. To use her the best, IMO, is to punish whatever the opponent does to you. An aerial hit your shield? Punish. Somebody is landing? Punish. That's how I play at least, and it works pretty well for me.

Also, don't think you can pick her up and be amazing with her. She's... retardedly hard to use. Top 5 hardest IMO... Not technical-wise, but having no grab makes you re-think how to do things.

I think I'm done.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
ZSS V Wario is definitely not 50:50, you can camp the beans off of her. Like in all honesty, what is her approach against Wario when his objective is solely not to get hit, or keep his distance from her? She basically has SH aerial approaches trying to edge closer and closer to him. On a lot of stages, realistically it is about game over if he gets a stock or huge % lead. Stock lead especially because killing Wario is gonna be retardedly hard for her to accomplish when he wants to play Hide and Seek.

She's not as helpless as, say Snake against Wario on Brinstar, but there are quite a few stages including starters where gameplay develops into something fairly similar to that. This would be much different if she has a normalish grab, but she is cursed with a slow one. All of her approaches being stopped by shielding is a bigger problem when you can't reasonably mix up grabs without risking a lot more than the average character. She can't SH with her back to you, get real low to the ground, you shield, she fakes you out and turns/grab, which is one great mixup most characters have. Her grab is so slow, that someone can jump OOS and airdodge as she uses it and she would miss. Wario could even wait a few frames and then do it and be safe.

I think her lack of approaching, along with Wario's superb keepaway game, would nearly seal the deal. With other things considered like the weight/recovery/kill power differences/etc, I think it's a safe 6:4ish. It's kinda like if Wario gets a solid lead, it's a doomsday scenario. ZSS can make him quiver and quake in fear, after she grabs him past 50ish without platforms in the way and without stage hazards interfering. Her having the lead doesn't shift things dramatically. It's not the funnest thing to try and approach her, but it can be done. Her anti aerial moves are baitable and quite punishable for him. Her ground moves don't cover much important area (they can cover ground range, but not anything near head level or somewhere expected for Wario to appear) to stop that.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Just to point it out... The best way to use the majority of characters is to play the bait-and-punish game. This doesn't make ZSS weird, instead, what makes her weird, is that she can't kill with smashes or throws, and her recovery isn't what you would call "traditional", even for a tether character. Newer players have a hard time adjusting to a character who spends a lot of time in the air and has no camp-worthy projectiles (a la TL), who you should be playing if you have above average reaction speed to follow up depending on their DI.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Sorry for the long post, I didn't have enough time to make a short one.

DMG I don't see how air camping is going to be much more effective against ZS than against someone like Marth. She's fast enough and long ranged enough to throw out an attack to force an airdodge and hit your out of the end lag. Maybe I'm not understanding exactly how Wario air camping works

ZSS's lack of OOS options is very overstated in my opinion. She doesn't have a grab. What she does have is fast moves OOS that can punish ending lag, like Esam pointed out, jab OOS is 1 frame slower than a grab, utilt is 3 and has an excellent hitbox covering behind in front and above her and starting juggles; it's 1 frame slower than MK's nair and covers the same hitbox, albeit much less safely if you whiff obviously. Dtilt is frame 5 and is pretty safe with excellent range. I think people in general overstate aerials OOS as being superior to grounded moves OOS for punishing ending lag. Her 4 frame uair is perfect for punishing aerials on shield. She also has a top tier froll to escape, and OOS jumpcanceled down b also works to escape.

Shields are her true weakness. You can powershield her side b easily if you learn the animation, as well as her nB. Spacing either of them correctly however, is not going to be punishable by many characters, excluding characters with fast long ranged options OOS like MK, Marth, DDD, diddy, Snake.

However, what many people don't understand is that those moves don't really encompass her spacing game, and aren't even main aspects of it anymore. Bair, nair, and uair are all much safer on shield, and much harder to powershield, especially on taller characters where we have a much wider window of time to throw them out. Her moves also shieldpoke like a *****.

I don't really see how her approaching is worse than a character like Lucario's, GaW's, or Pit's. You might say Pit doesn't need to approach, but if we're talking in terms of a gay metagame where Pit planks once he has the lead, the same can be said for the other character, not like arrows can hit a ledge grabbing opponent and then what are you going to do? GaW's bair isn't a great approach as you Broomers know I'm sure, his nair is good but that's one dimensional in the same way that ZS's bair is good but doesn't cut it by itself. Lucario's aerials are punishable on shield with fast aerials OOS, his projectile is easily PSed making camping not a good replacement for approaching, after that he has... rolls to get inside i guess.

I also think people overlook her speed as a factor in her baiting game. She dashes faster than MK, has okay aerial speed, and as a great froll and airdodge, and these definitely help in her finding openings. She also only needs to hit you once and you're in the air, which removes the issue of approaching at all.

My 2 cents, I in no way think she is amazing, but I believe she is a better character and a more proven character than some others around her. She is unintuitive, and relies on her amazing strengths to balance out her defects more so than just being a well rounded character. I think she belongs more around 11-13 than where she is right now at 15 I think?

Blakmane

Smash Apprentice
I definitely agree with the other ZSS's here (suprise suprise). It seems like, even today, there are lot of misconceptions about what ZSS is and what her strengths/weaknesses are. I think part of the reason she's been such a sleeper, and so polarising, is that she is a really poorly balanced character: some parts of her game (grab) are absolutely atrocious, while other parts (air VS air) are broken beyond belief. This means that if you try to just pick her up after playing another character, you'll fair extremely poorly- her metagame relies on massive abuse of her strengths and constantly avoiding/thinking about her weaknesses, which aren't always intuitive. Hell, even her recovery is competely different from every other character in the game! There are other characters in the game just as badly balanced as ZSS however, and some of them as high as top tier. If you randomly picked up IC's without understanding his immense (almost all-encompassing) grab game, you'd think he's complete ****.

Do I think ZSS is lower on the tier list then she should be? Yes, but I don't think she deserves any more than the very bottom of B tier. ZSS will never rise any higher than this due to her bad matchups against Falco and, to a lesser extent, diddy. As long as these characters remain common and difficult challenges she'll never have a spot slightly above what she has now. In a way I think this is comparable to the limitations of DDD's MU against MK, preventing him from ever being as high on the list as he was in the past.

RE the wario: One of ZSS's big advantages is how many fast and/or disjointed tools in the air which she can use to punish both aerial dodging, other aerials and landing lag. While I don't assume to know this MU intimately, in general aerial camping is not a good tactic against her.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Basically, if ZSS had anything that could do anything against a shield, she'd probably be among the best characters in the game. Unfortunately, all the command grabs got given to characters with perfectly fine grabs to begin with (seriously, what the hell). As it is, she is an otherwise solid character that has to put up with a massively debilitating weakness. This makes her the perfect "your mileage will vary" character for people who like a challenge with tangible rewards if you do well.

I really don't have much to say. Nick, Nefarious and Blackmane have pretty much said it all.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Blackmane sums it up. To play ZSS you have to constantly think about her weaknesses and focus on making her strengths work. This is obviously not ideal; a 6 frame grab would help her immensely, but alas.

I see a lot of comments I disagree with: I think ZSS has perfectly all right recovery. It's pretty good, not amazing, not bad. Somewhere around a '7' on a 1-10 scale. Her tether is about as good as a tether character could ask for. Down-b is a good extra recovery tool and has a nice momentum-cancelling property. Her jumps are really high, and can be boosted by up-b. And side-b's distance is really really far, like, pretty close to blast line (I think?) on Yoshi's.

An interesting thing about ZSS' kill power is that it is pretty weak, but it never matters. Yeah, you won't kill until 140%, but you will probably land the kill move unlike Peach or Sonic who strugle for set-ups. ZSS has plenty of set-ups, it's just that the kill moves themselves are designed more for spacing and juggling and are sometimes stale or weaker in general.

ZSS is easily the best character in her tier, if only because she doesn't fold pitifully to MK. She is probably lower or middle B tier.

A few other individual things I saw...

Another noteworthy aspect is that her USmash and her grounded UpB can be used for enemies approaching aerially, most notably Meta Knights who DAir-camp.
This is not true as far as I know, dair clanks with usmash because her whip moves are all programmed as articles and have the priority rules of special attacks. Same with up-b, it's cancelled out by like everything.

The reason air camping sucks vs ZSS is because uair>every dair in the game except maybe like Dedede's or something, and that can be spaced around.

ZSS' grab game is horrible, what with having one of the worst grabs in the game and only mediocre throws. Almost always there are better options for ZSS when she has the opportunity to grab.
The grab itself is slow, but it also does things other grabs can't do (she can shieldgrab moves that push her back for instance) and her throws are really good.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Why don't I see ANYONE talking about her amazing grab release options? She has free aerials, chaingrabs and jabs on grab releases.

The thing with ZSS imo is that her ground game is based solely on prediction. Her options are often more limited than her opponents but provide more reward (taking it to the air). To land one of your ground moves, you have to predict your opponents move, you can't just space a move like MK who walks and dtilt, that shiz won't work.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This is not true as far as I know, dair clanks with usmash because her whip moves are all programmed as articles and have the priority rules of special attacks. Same with up-b, it's cancelled out by like everything..
The priority rules concerning ZSS's whip don't apply to MK, because all of his moves have laser priority. MK's dair won't do **** to stop usmash.

Speaking of Usmash, I like to punish retreating airdodges with running usmash. Anyone else?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Yeah MK's attacks can't clank except for glide attack, nado, side b, and dash attack.

As far as up b, it's priority is reaaally weird, kind of like tornado. I believe that it can clank with a move but the hitbox stays active. What I noticed, against Peach for example, is that if I space the up b perfectly so that it hits with the tip at her feat, her dair will clank with it and she won't get pulled down. But, if I space less perfectly, so that the whip goes all the way to her head level, it will clank with the dair but continue and then get to her head where she has no hitbox, and then it will hit her. So basically, hitboxes protect from it, but don't cancel our hitbox. Atleast that's as far as I've seen

Xonar that's pretty much the most concise explanation of our ground game that I've seen, it's high risk high reward and prediction based

Grab release aerials are also beast though I find some of them really difficult to time, it'd help to learn them if there were vids of it working. I remember seeing a vid of FadedImage doing the uair release on Olimar, which would be insanely helpful for me, but I can't figure out the timing for it and can't find the video anymore unfortunately

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I don't know about the one on Olimar, it's hard, but the fact that we can do it on char's like GaW, Kirby and Jigg is especially usefull.
Kirby's approaches all get stuffed by dsmash and uair alone, the mu is REALLY bad for Kirby. If we land a dsmash, we get another dsmash, pummels and an uair on reasonable height.
GaW can be dsmashed too as it beats his ground game and sideB beats his poking game (yes, sideB). GaW dies reasonably easily, and you can also do some RPS mindgames to have it be a 0-death(!). If you jump next to him, GaW's will sometimes upb because if you use the regular timing to tipper your uair it will avoid the uair, now if you're next to him you will fly upwards RIGHT NEXT TO HIM while he upb's, you're now both are pretty much at the blast zones and 1 uair will kill him.
Jigglypuff releases straight up and is ****ing light, dsmash dsmash pummel uair and he's pretty much DEAD.
etc etc
It's really useful, the chaingrabs give us more CPs for example against mk, pika and lucas.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I await the day GaW and Kirby players understand just how bad a match-up ZSS really is for them based solely on the fact that we have a 1 frame escape move just for them.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Her worst problem is her recovery. She is very limited. She has a double jump, up-b, (Which can extend the jump), down-b, and tethers. If she uses her double jump, the down-b is really predictable since if you grab the ledge before she uses it she...can't do anything but hope she hits you off with her up-b.

I think she should rise 1 or 2 spots, but nothing too major at the moment. Maybe something else will make her better.
How did nobody catch this?

ZSS has a great recovery. It is often underestimated because of the tether, but her DJ covers a huge amount of vertical distance, especially if you boost jump with Up-b, and then down b. The main claim is that the down-b can be easily edge-hoggged. It sounds like you don't know about the flip stool. ZSS can do a special footstool out of her flip jump, which covers a lot of horizontal distance, and it can be used on edgehoggers, invincible or not.

Also, a good ZSS will try their best to avoid recovering from below, which I'm sure you know. But when recovering higher, a good ZSS will often use her down-b before her second jump, so she can get the distance, while still being able to use her second jump for a much less predictable recovery.

Just putting that out there...

NickRiddle

#negativeNick

ZSS has a great recovery. It is often underestimated because of the tether, but her DJ covers a huge amount of vertical distance, especially if you boost jump with Up-b, and then down b. The main claim is that the down-b can be easily edge-hoggged. It sounds like you don't know about the flip stool. ZSS can do a special footstool out of her flip jump, which covers a lot of horizontal distance, and it can be used on edgehoggers, invincible or not.

Also, a good ZSS will try their best to avoid recovering from below, which I'm sure you know. But when recovering higher, a good ZSS will often use her down-b before her second jump, so she can get the distance, while still being able to use her second jump for a much less predictable recovery.

This was his experience as a Pika main. You go high, you eat a thunder.
You go low, you get edgeguarded by dumb ****.

Vs. MK, going high seemsl ike a worse option for me.

I always recover low.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This was his experience as a Pika main. You go high, you eat a thunder.
You go low, you get edgeguarded by dumb ****.

Vs. MK, going high seemsl ike a worse option for me.

I always recover low.
I dunno, I always felt like it was easy to approach high to bait the thunder, then wait for the ledge to open up. Then you're roughly at eye level and able to rumble. It works fairly consistently against LDPK.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion

I duno, we may not get gimped all the time if we're smart, but we definitely take damage while trying to get back on stage. We're weak on the edge, even though 90% of the cast could say the same thing. Throwing us off the edge is one of the best ways to build up some damage on us

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
1st (1)Mew2King - Meta Knight - $2,500
2nd (6)LeeMartin - Meta Knight/Lucario/Toon Link/Game & Watch - $1,500
3rd (21)Felixtrix - Diddy Kong - $1,000
4th (15)Seibrik - Meta Knight - $700
5th (5)NickRiddle - Zero Suit Samus - $500
6th (3)TyRaNt-WC - Meta Knight - $350
7th (8)DEHF - Falco - $250
8th (16)HavokZ - Meta Knight/Marth - $200

Hey BBR, one of these characters is not like the other.

ZSS' worst match-up, the "unwinnable" Falco was just proven to be winnable. Dazwa and I have for weeks been saying it's no worse than 4/6. Spoke with him on the phone just a few minutes ago, and now we're almost positive that's the truth.

ZSS is at least B tier. Get at me. :D

solecalibur

Smash Master
1st (1)Mew2King - Meta Knight - $2,500
2nd (6)LeeMartin - Meta Knight/Lucario/Toon Link/Game & Watch - $1,500
3rd (21)Felixtrix - Diddy Kong - $1,000
4th (15)Seibrik - Meta Knight - $700
5th (5)NickRiddle - Zero Suit Samus - $500
6th (3)TyRaNt-WC - Meta Knight - $350
7th (8)DEHF - Falco - $250
8th (16)HavokZ - Meta Knight/Marth - $200

Hey BBR, one of these characters is not like the other.

ZSS' worst match-up, the "unwinnable" Falco was just proven to be winnable. Dazwa and I have for weeks been saying it's no worse than 4/6. Spoke with him on the phone just a few minutes ago, and now we're almost positive that's the truth.

ZSS is at least B tier. Get at me. :D
7/3 is still the MU #
Nick riddle is just too gud =3

Top Bottom