• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stadium 1, or stadium 2?

Goombadude3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8329-5911
I prefer pokemon stadium 1 over 2 simply because, the effects that happen are cooler. Sure 2 looks cool but there kinda normal. Neither of them are bad but with what happens in 1,makes the combat for me, much closer and better.

So community, what do you prefer?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I prefer 1 too, though I don't know why. Maybe it's because all the interactive stuff on 2 is annoying.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
If you gave PS1 PS2's edges, i'd say PS1.
BUT if PS2 had PS1's everything, but ledges, i'd say PS2.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
PS2 is a far more neutral stage than PS1 and yet it sees no action at tourneys. I can go into heavy detail about why but here's the meat of it:

PS2 vs PS1

Neutral vs Neutral
- PS2 wins this. It's no contest. The ledges are far better and the stage transforming, doesn't break grabs.
Point goes to PS2.

Ground vs Fire (It's super effective)
- These transformations are setup about the same way, but PS1 has 3 walls while PS2 has 1. Which means infinites can and will happen more frequently on PS1.
Point goes to PS2.

Ice vs Grass
- PS1's Grass transformation wins here. While Ice is a good transformation with no real problems, Grass is easily more neutral.. A few characters like Kirby & Sonic have annoying tricks on Grass, (Stone Earthquake & ISDR) but they are very minor issues.
Point goes to PS1.

Electric vs Water
- This one is just odd honestly. They're complete opposites. Electric is heavily anti-camping & Water is heavily camping friendly.
It's a tie. No one gets the point.

Flying vs Rock
- Flying makes characters floatier so they fall slower & get KO'd off the top easier, but with that aside, it's FD with a slight slant on both sides. That makes characters that have a decent crouch be able to avoid laser camping. Rock on the other hand shuts down camping, but has FOUR walls, making it ridiculously easy to wall infinite whether you use Dedede, MK, Kirby, or w/e.
Point goes to PS2.

Well PS2 wins with a score of 3 to 1 (and a tie.) It's
ledges &
transformations are just so much better. The problem that makes people not like PS2 is that you have to KNOW how to play on the stage. You have to put forth EFFORT for you to do well on it.

And I'll let you in on a little secret: Every top tier character excluding MK has a transformation that's bad for them. And get this; nearly every character from Marth down, has NO PROBLEM with ANY of PS2's transformations.

The SBR has deemed PS2 a CP, but Tournament Organizers don't want to use one of the most neutral CPs because some jack*** decided the statuesque was to exclude PS2. It's just up to the TO's get their heads out of their ***es and realize PS1 is no where close to neutral and start using PS2 as even just a CP.

Just to clarify, it's not the SBR's fault, it's (as I like to call) The Grandmaster of Tournament Organizers' fault and the rest of the TOs fault for blindly following his/her bull**** statuesque.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Wait, is this opinion or debate? o_0
I may have an invalid statement.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Pretty sure it's just opinion.
I just like to flip the debate switch every now and again. Keeps things interesting and lets me prove a few point w/o making a thread just for it.

BluePSI

Smash Champion
NNID
BluePSI
PS1
for the nostalgia of watching the anime, as the song for that stage in melee sounds almost exactly like the one in the anime.
and I generaly prefer the 1st gen over the others :p

RAFA-

Smash Rookie
PS2 is a far more neutral stage than PS1 and yet it sees no action at tourneys. I can go into heavy detail about why but here's the meat of it:

PS2 vs PS1

Neutral vs Neutral
- PS2 wins this. It's no contest. The ledges are far better and the stage transforming, doesn't break grabs.
Point goes to PS2.

- These transformations are setup about the same way, but PS1 has 3 walls while PS2 has 1. Which means infinites can and will happen more frequently on PS1.
Point goes to PS2.

Ice vs Grass
- PS1's Grass transformation wins here. While Ice is a good transformation with no real problems, Grass is easily more neutral.. A few characters like Kirby & Sonic have annoying tricks on Grass, (Stone Earthquake & ISDR) but they are very minor issues.
Point goes to PS1.

Electric vs Water
- This one is just odd honestly. They're complete opposites. Electric is heavily anti-camping & Water is heavily camping friendly.

Flying vs Rock
- Flying makes characters floatier so they fall slower & get KO'd off the top easier, but with that aside, it's FD with a slight slant on both sides. That makes characters that have a decent crouch be able to avoid laser camping. Rock on the other hand shuts down camping, but has FOUR walls, making it ridiculously easy to wall infinite whether you use Dedede, MK, Kirby, or w/e.
Point goes to PS2.

ledges &
transformations are just so much better. The problem that makes people not like PS2 is that you have to KNOW how to play on the stage. You have to put forth EFFORT for you to do well on it.

And I'll let you in on a little secret: Every top tier character excluding MK has a transformation that's bad for them. And get this; nearly every character from Marth down, has NO PROBLEM with ANY of PS2's transformations.

The SBR has deemed PS2 a CP, but Tournament Organizers don't want to use one of the most neutral CPs because some jack*** decided the statuesque was to exclude PS2. It's just up to the TO's get their heads out of their ***es and realize PS1 is no where close to neutral and start using PS2 as even just a CP.

Just to clarify, it's not the SBR's fault, it's (as I like to call) The Grandmaster of Tournament Organizers' fault and the rest of the TOs fault for blindly following his/her bull**** statuesque.
lol this comment made me laugh so hard

PS1 is better to fight in my opinion PS2 has a lot of anooying stages like the flying. Can't fight there

Aibou

Smash Master
When it comes to transformations, PS1 has things like wall infinites and is a good place to time someone out thanks to being able to stall behind the tree/big rock thing. Then again, the transformations on PS2 make movement difficult (minus the ground transformation). The ice ruining traction, the wind tampering with aerial approaches, and the electric making ground movement difficult.

Looking at it from a competitive perspective, I'd say they're relatively even. Though personally I prefer PS1 for reasons I've already mentioned :088:

DUB

Smash Lord
Pretty sure it's just opinion.
I just like to flip the debate switch every now and again. Keeps things interesting and lets me prove a few point w/o making a thread just for it.
Do you know the ceiling heights/blast zone distances for that stage? What could you compare them to?

I've been wanting to use it as a CP since my state is using MLG ruleset for most tourneys now but I don't know much about it.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
PS1 is campy and the windmill doesn't work right, PS2 has low gravity, escalators and ice. I HAET THEM BOTH THE SAEM! PS2 because it look prettier.

ErikG

Smash Ace
PS1 transformations changed the stage layout.
Ps2 transformations change layout and how a character can move.

I prefer PS1

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
PS2 is so awesome!

My fav stage next to Brinstar now. <3 Love it and needs to be seen more at tournies =/

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
PS1.

Mostly because it's legal here and PS2 for the most part isn't. I like PS1 as a whole really, and PS2 has some annoying transformations.

Either way, I hardly ever do fight on them because they'll get banned, and no one really CPs them (in my area at least).

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
lol this comment made me laugh so hard

PS1 is better to fight in my opinion PS2 has a lot of anooying stages like the flying. Can't fight there
Says the lurking link main with 2 posts.

Opinions shouldn't be viable in any smash conversation, we need facts. Not opinions, people.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
The original Pokemon Stadium is clearly better.It's less annoying.None of the transformations on PS1 are hugely gamebreaking with the exception for the ground one (infinites)

They made the windmill gay in brawl though.

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
Really? I don't see how this can even come up as something to talk about. Clearly PS1 is better in just about every way. I honestly don't see what that guy is talking about with PS2 actually being better. The Ice stage completely screws with moving on the ground. The Flying stage basically makes it impossible to have a legit match unless you want to jump extremely high in the air like astronauts. The Electric stage has freaking treadmills on it that force you to keep going towards the center of the stage and make it impossible to space well or camp if using characters like samus or falco. Ummm....HELLO!! THAT is the reason PS2 is rarely used at tournaments, because it becomes an extreme hassle to deal with and will most likely screw you up no matter what character you're using.

Seriously, it's not even up for debate imo. PS1 is clearly better and if the best people can argue about concerning PS1 is that the ledge can become a problem, then it seems that we have gotten too lazy to learn how to be more technical when it comes to recovering. Sure, there might be some minor problems with PS1 (like the windmill), but compared to PS2 there isn't really anything up for debate. Maybe somehow I'm wrong on this, but I seriously doubt it. There is too much stuff in PS2 to screw you up and forces you to change the entire way of how you're playing until it changes back.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Really? I don't see how this can even come up as something to talk about. Clearly PS1 is better in just about every way. I honestly don't see what that guy is talking about with PS2 actually being better. The Ice stage completely screws with moving on the ground. The Flying stage basically makes it impossible to have a legit match unless you want to jump extremely high in the air like astronauts. The Electric stage has freaking treadmills on it that force you to keep going towards the center of the stage and make it impossible to space well or camp if using characters like samus or falco. Ummm....HELLO!! THAT is the reason PS2 is rarely used at tournaments, because it becomes an extreme hassle to deal with and will most likely screw you up no matter what character you're using.

Seriously, it's not even up for debate imo. PS1 is clearly better and if the best people can argue about concerning PS1 is that the ledge can become a problem, then it seems that we have gotten too lazy to learn how to be more technical when it comes to recovering. Sure, there might be some minor problems with PS1 (like the windmill), but compared to PS2 there isn't really anything up for debate. Maybe somehow I'm wrong on this, but I seriously doubt it. There is too much stuff in PS2 to screw you up and forces you to change the entire way of how you're playing until it changes back.
Not to be a rude little newbie, but isn't changing your gameplay (adapting) when a transformation occurs kind of the point? It's not as though one player gets the stage transformation and one doesn't (which is why Wario Ware is banned, I believe, for the randomness of the rewards) and until the stage switches again, both players will have to change their playing accordingly.

I'd say a mixup on the ground/air approaches and whatnot you find in PS2 is a lot more fair than the stalling/camping opportunities as well as the many walls and and infinites that can happen as a result of them in PS1.

That, and the ledges :p

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983

lol Hindering camping/stalling is bad. All you're missing is a Meta Knight fetish and you're be an new gen SBR member.

PS2 vs PS1

Neutral vs Neutral
Point goes to PS2.

Point goes to PS2.

Ice vs Grass
Point goes to PS1.

Electric vs Water

Flying vs Rock
Point goes to PS2.

ledges &

See what I did there?

UberMario

Smash Master
The first one, the electric and flying modes in the second one are fun, but tend to interrupt play.

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
lol Hindering camping/stalling is bad. All you're missing is a Meta Knight fetish and you're be an new gen SBR member.

Though camping is annoying as anything to deal with, it's a strategy used by some characters like Samus that use that as a main way of dealing damage. As for Mk, I HATE Mk! I'm actually one of the pro-ban mk players so yeah, don't count be in just yet. :p

See what I did there?
Lol, yahh, I see what you did there. You're the guy I was talking about when I said that I didn't agree with what you said. I actually think the ice stage does have a problem with it. You take a step and you practically slide to the other side of the stage.

And yes, PS1 has it's problems like the mindmill, but it's not very hard to just stay up on the platforms or on the mindmill to avoid camping. Also, I am not saying PS1 should be a neutral either. I'm pretty firm on the idea of PS1 being cp only.

Not to be a rude little newbie, but isn't changing your gameplay (adapting) when a transformation occurs kind of the point? It's not as though one player gets the stage transformation and one doesn't (which is why Wario Ware is banned, I believe, for the randomness of the rewards) and until the stage switches again, both players will have to change their playing accordingly.

I'd say a mixup on the ground/air approaches and whatnot you find in PS2 is a lot more fair than the stalling/camping opportunities as well as the many walls and and infinites that can happen as a result of them in PS1.

That, and the ledges :p
Lol @ you calling me a newbie :laugh: . Adapting is the point of playing PS you numbskull (not to be rude ;) ), but the stage changes are so intense that they're unlike any other stage changes in the game and force you to do things you normally wouldn't do in most situations. For example, you're fighting Mk on the electric stage with the treadmills and you're using marth (my main). Everything in the match up is about playing defensively and spacing correctly and not approaching too much. Okay... explain how that all works out for you when playing that stage and being forced to go to the center of the stage. You're being forced to drop the only reliable way of playing mk, giving mk an even larger advantage than he already has.

I can see why you wouldn't like PS1 because of the walls and infinites (that's the reason why I usually stay away from PS1 as well when playing against DDD), but camping isn't really that big of a deal in PS1. I can see where players could camp, but I don't see the huge advantage they have over you either since there is usually platforms and walls to protect you from having to deal with it.

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
I prefer the Stadium from Melee. Stadium 2 is fun, but of the elements kinda hinder your playstyles, namely the wind and ice stage. Stadium 1 really doesn't change your playstyles at all, no matter what elemental stages it switches to.

gupta3

Smash Rookie
PS2 just had annoying transformations and some of these make more difficult to move on ground,and to finish the battle. I prefer PS1. At least doesn't disturb your fight -_-

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
PS2 is graphically better, better size, and larger blast zones, but the transformations will change how you play much more than PS1, other than that, PS2 is the stage I will pick over PS1. Don't get me wrong, I love PS1, but PS2 has more of a strategic feel to it.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
PS2 is graphically better, better size, and larger blast zones, but the transformations will change how you play much more than PS1, other than that, PS2 is the stage I will pick over PS1. Don't get me wrong, I love PS1, but PS2 has more of a strategic feel to it.
I have to agree. PS2 makes you change your battle strategies and adapt to the environment
Nintendo's original thoughts actually come into play???

But the grass stage is too gud ;_;

Honestly it's a tie for me

Kantrip

Kantplay
Lol, yahh, I see what you did there. You're the guy I was talking about when I said that I didn't agree with what you said. I actually think the ice stage does have a problem with it. You take a step and you practically slide to the other side of the stage.

And yes, PS1 has it's problems like the mindmill, but it's not very hard to just stay up on the platforms or on the mindmill to avoid camping. Also, I am not saying PS1 should be a neutral either. I'm pretty firm on the idea of PS1 being cp only.

Lol @ you calling me a newbie :laugh: . Adapting is the point of playing PS you numbskull (not to be rude ;) ), but the stage changes are so intense that they're unlike any other stage changes in the game and force you to do things you normally wouldn't do in most situations. For example, you're fighting Mk on the electric stage with the treadmills and you're using marth (my main). Everything in the match up is about playing defensively and spacing correctly and not approaching too much. Okay... explain how that all works out for you when playing that stage and being forced to go to the center of the stage. You're being forced to drop the only reliable way of playing mk, giving mk an even larger advantage than he already has.

I can see why you wouldn't like PS1 because of the walls and infinites (that's the reason why I usually stay away from PS1 as well when playing against DDD), but camping isn't really that big of a deal in PS1. I can see where players could camp, but I don't see the huge advantage they have over you either since there is usually platforms and walls to protect you from having to deal with it.
No I said "Not to be a little newbie", meaning that I was trying to say what I said without being one. I'm in no position to call someone else a newbie.

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
No I said "Not to be a little newbie", meaning that I was trying to say what I said without being one. I'm in no position to call someone else a newbie.
Oh, haha. It's all good. I mean, when it comes down to it, it's just a game anyways. I do rather enjoy this debate though, it gets me thinking more. :dizzy:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yes, it is just a game. :]
In regards to your other post, I do agree that PS2 can give unfair advantages to some characters who don't have to adapt their gameplay when the other player does, and that was perhaps why I initially disliked PS1 (odd considering as a Diddy main I can abuse the walls). Thinking about it now though I do agree that the transformations may be just as unfair as the Wario Ware rewards in their own way.
If the PS2 transformations were balanced so that every character had the same amount of advantageous and disadvantageous transformations (I'm looking at you Meta Knight), it might be a different story.
Dang, I liked the stage too.

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
You know Crimson, I feel your pain. When I found out there was a PS2 in Brawl, I was pretty excited, since PS1 was one of my favorites in Melee. However, playing PS2 over time showed me that there are some things I just can't simply look past, like the treadmill and the sky stage. I mean, I'm cool with the original stage and the land one, but the others are too outrageous to be considered fair for some characters. I do agree with you, there are stages in PS1 that are unfair as well if someone is using characters like DDD, Diddy, or some others.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
PS1>PS2

Other than the ground transformation and neutral part of PS2, I cannot stand PS2. The treadmils force you to the center of the stage. The ice and flying formations are a hella pain for those without an air game.

Tbh, if they would add the ground transformation to PS1 I'd be very happy haha. I can't stand the ledges on PS1 though. D:

Top Bottom