• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to survive Jiggly's shield break

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Very interesting. I think this confirms that Jigglypuff should have been top tier all along.

But seriously, I would like to know if this means that there are other utilizations of the fact that corneria is actually moving, something I never realized.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh wow, thats so neat haha.
But seriously, I would like to know if this means that there are other utilizations of the fact that corneria is actually moving, something I never realized.
yeah I agree, i'm quite curious now.

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
Thanks everyone!

I think the reason it only works when the shield is broken by someone else is because the shield stun from being hit is still in effect when it breaks, making Jiggs stay in position for a few frames and allowing the stage/platform to "catch up" with her. When she breaks it herself there's no shield stun to keep her there.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Omg wow... This is a pretty interesting find.

Does every character instantly hit the floor when their shields are broken the same way and they are on a rising floor? I know that answer isn't really important, but I'm just curious.

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
Omg wow... This is a pretty interesting find.

Does every character instantly hit the floor when their shields are broken the same way and they are on a rising floor? I know that answer isn't really important, but I'm just curious.
I tested it on Marth and Fox and it holds the same for them, so I'm assuming that it's like that for the whole cast.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Wow that's really interesting, and man Puff makes a weird sound. Maybe more can be found out since this depends on the movement of a stage.

NubTactics

Smash Rookie
Thanks everyone!

I think the reason it only works when the shield is broken by someone else is because the shield stun from being hit is still in effect when it breaks, making Jiggs stay in position for a few frames and allowing the stage/platform to "catch up" with her. When she breaks it herself there's no shield stun to keep her there.
That's right, one of the game mechanics in melee (actually, smash brothers in general) is that whenever attacks land they induce a period of time where the both the attacker and the defender(s) freeze momentarily, and this varies depending on which attack is used. (electrical attacks seem to generate longer freeze times, and stronger attacks increase freeze time. If the attacker uses a projectile they are not affected by the freeze time). When this happens, stage movement and the movement of other characters remains unaffected. In this scenario, when a player's shield breaks, they immediately register as being in the air, so if there's stun time and the stage moves up, then the landing animation triggers if the stage happens to touch the player while they are in this stun. (in essence, the stage lands on you). This doesn't happen if you get hit by attacks from the floor because the stun you enter when that happens is different from the stun you enter when your shield breaks, which, unlike attack stun on the floor, immediately ends upon hitting the floor. I'm assuming that if you get hit in the air, you'll immediately become grounded if the floor "lands on you" while you're in freeze stun, but this has to be tested, and I'll see if it does.

NubTactics

Smash Rookie
Some more details i guess.
When hit freeze occurs, the current frame that the attack is on gets locked in, and the hit box remains. This means that if ganon stomps someone, another player can walk into his stomp while ganon is frozen from hit freeze. (This was tested with red shells that got reflected multiple times, dramatically increasing their hit freeze time, so this information could be false)
Freeze time stacks for the attacker if an attack hits more than one character at once, so if ganon's stomp were to last 10 frames from hitting one person it seems like ganon's freeze time would double by hitting two people at once.
After some testing it seems like you won't automatically get grounded if the floor catches up to you while you're experiencing freeze stun from getting hit, so the automatic grounding will only occur if your shield gets hit crashed on a platform moving upwards.

Top Bottom